Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Final thoughts: Florida St.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 59
| visibility 1

New Story: Final thoughts: Florida St.

Sep 22, 2014, 8:17 AM

Final thoughts: Florida St.

Clemson's loss to top-ranked Florida St. Saturday night was an all-too familiar sensation for Clemson fans. The Tigers dominated much of the game, but still wound up losing. How do they get that killer instinct? Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Final thoughts: Florida St.

Sep 22, 2014, 8:26 AM

David, your insight and observations are spot on. Funny, when I saw the shotgun formation I yelled "no ######## way" and I know little about play calling and such things. IMO, we have a good coaching staff, with a few problem areas, a bright future and a great 2015 class but if we can't learn how to finish we are going to remain behind.

Sep 22, 2014, 8:51 AM

I think that any Tiger fan watching the game in person or on any media device said or thought "oh ####" when seeing us in the shotgun on 4th and inches.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's time for Danny Pearman to go

Sep 22, 2014, 8:54 AM

Wanna keep him involved in the program, fine. Give him an administrative role. Our special teams under him have been a disaster, and that's putting it mildly. He really doesn't contribute much as far as recruiting either. It's time to cut ties and get someone who actually earns his pay, instead of sitting back collecting one

^^^This

Sep 22, 2014, 8:57 AM

Worst recruiter on the staff, obviously can't coach ST but is a good TE coach. 1 of 3 shouldn't cut it on this staff as we can do better.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ^^^This

Sep 22, 2014, 1:22 PM

and don't keep him just because he is kin to Danny Ford!

Sep 22, 2014, 2:00 PM [ in reply to ^^^This ]

You guys are such geniuses!!!
The under center with a foot to go is a legit argument. I would generally agree with you on that one.
But this team not knowing how to finish, not having a killer instinct????
See: LSU, 2013 Georgia, Ohio St. All top 10 teams when we beat them in tight games.
I am frustrated by Saturday too, but to say these guys don't know how to win is just not true. We will not win everyone of these BIG games. Even Bama loses.
I'm sorry the FACTS get in the way of your logic, or lack there of.

Sep 22, 2014, 2:19 PM

Those wins are great but they don't contribute to the main goals of winning the conference competing for a championship. Bowls are exhibition games so need to hang your hat on that. Georgia was a great win but even then they had players dropping (Gurley, a starting WR) and they eventually weren't the team everyone thought they would be.

Sep 22, 2014, 2:30 PM

I love the logic that bowl games are "exhibitions" and don't really count. That's usually the argument by the losing team.
Food for thought: If they were just exhibitions, then why do the FINAL polls come out AFTER the bowls?
Chew on that....

Sep 22, 2014, 8:59 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Final thoughts: Florida St. ]

If a QB don't perform well under center, that is the coaches fault. Being under center is the natural position for a QB. Before the end of practice, have your center and QB making a 50 snap exchange everyday. He will get comfortable with it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 22, 2014, 8:36 AM

The only success in short yardage situations during the Chad Morris era was the QB run with Tajh.

Sep 22, 2014, 9:01 AM

That probably goes right back to the huge "elephant in the room" that is an OL who cannot get the 1-2 yards in the "Red Zone" or on a 4th and 1. There is zero confidence level in our staff that our OL can get that yard. That is not a new problem.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 22, 2014, 11:47 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Final thoughts: Florida St. ]

Yeah... Chad just likes to send the guy up the middle.... Now he's doing it with shotgun formation.... Most top running backs in the nation dominate on the sweep.. We don't see that at Clemson.. They know we are coming up the middle every time.... I'm not a fan of Chad Morris offense.... GO TIGERS!!!

Re: New coot alert, coot alert, coot alert. More thrash

Sep 22, 2014, 2:58 PM

being poured into TigerNet. Crump please close the gate, to much new coot trash flooding in!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New coot alert, coot alert, coot alert. More thrash

Sep 22, 2014, 9:15 PM

Well said!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 22, 2014, 8:38 AM

I totally agree with you about special teams, and I don't understand why, with superior talent, our punt return and kick off return teams have not been able to get the ball past the 10 yard line for the last three years! We need Andre Powell back!

Sep 22, 2014, 8:45 AM

Clemson has a tradition of getting ahead in big games and then playing not to lose (and then lose every time). Even if they are close behind, it seems like the mindset is 'there's plenty of time' and play conservative and then suddenly realizing that the time to get aggressive is long past.

Why are we in shotgun with 1st and goal inside the 1?***

Sep 22, 2014, 8:55 AM

Re: Why are we in shotgun with 1st and goal inside the 1?***

Sep 22, 2014, 9:03 AM

One reason is that our OL caves in too often, rather than opening up a real hole through which to run. Not a new phenomenon. It's been a problem for years.

Re: Why are we in shotgun with 1st and goal inside the 1?***

Sep 22, 2014, 2:22 PM [ in reply to Why are we in shotgun with 1st and goal inside the 1?*** ]

If you remember the play before the snap over Watson's head, Norton was destroyed by the DT. Luckily he was offsides but I think that was in Norton and the coaches head the rest of the night. The OL can't give the push when everyone knows it's going to be a run.

when they interviewed Jimbo Fisher after the game, he said

Sep 22, 2014, 8:56 AM

that "we know how to win". I think that is the bottom line.

Make one of the 2 field goals, DB doesn't slip, etc etc

Sep 22, 2014, 9:43 AM

and Jimbo's "we know how to win" would be a stupid statement because NOTHING FSU did make those things happen. Jimbo needs to focus on not making himself and FSU University look foolish begging Winston to go back to the dressing room and take off his uniform. Did NOBODY see him in the dressing room decked out????? Thankfully we don't have to put up with that garbage.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: when they interviewed Jimbo Fisher after the game, he said

Sep 22, 2014, 10:10 AM [ in reply to when they interviewed Jimbo Fisher after the game, he said ]

Jimbo should have added at the end of that quote "at any cost" - it's the FSU way.

Easy to say when the other team hands it to them***

Sep 22, 2014, 10:14 AM [ in reply to when they interviewed Jimbo Fisher after the game, he said ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: when they interviewed Jimbo Fisher after the game, he said

Sep 22, 2014, 10:32 AM [ in reply to when they interviewed Jimbo Fisher after the game, he said ]

It was a pompous unsportsmanlike comment but undeniably true.
And our Tigers are sadly lacking the killer instinct.

Sep 22, 2014, 8:59 AM

On both short yardage situations - goal line & OT -

If DW isn't comfortable under center, why not bring CS in to run those 2 plays? Cole is up to 225 & would at least give you the opportunity to run a QB sneak. He's certainly comfortable getting under center.

Just doesn't seem like they used all weapons at their disposal.

Sep 22, 2014, 9:14 AM

Has anyone heard about Tyshon Dye, Progress?

Sep 22, 2014, 9:14 AM

Good article David. As I said in previous post, on the possession at 1 yard line, should of put DW under center and at least tried. 2 yard loss would have been better than 3rd and goal at the 24. Special teams and pass/run blocking needs the most work on a urgent basis this week. Chad needs to quit the conservative play calling and.bust it wide open and play to win the whole game. This nonsense of getting the lead and playing not to lose mindset needed to stop a long time ago.

Re: Same Old Story: Dabo loses the important game

Sep 22, 2014, 9:16 AM

6 years in and one ACC Championship; no big upset win to put us in Championship contention; no overachieving; no great story line. When will DRad wake up and put Dabo on notice? Oh! I forgot DRad locked him in for how many more years with that sweet contract extension. ###!!!!!!!!Seems we will be stuck seeing the same results and hearing the same excuses for at least four more years unless the BOT pays dearly. If Dabs cannot produce a Championship by next year his head has got to roll....at any price. Time will be up in my book as it should for all who want an elite level Clemson Football program

Sep 22, 2014, 9:32 AM

Players are going to make mistakes and miss plays-- that's football on any level-- but when coaching is sooooo bad time and time again it is just ridiculous! ! Morris has digressed as a play caller and is adamant the his cutesy offense is the best option for every situation. Just put together a jumbo package with an extra tight end and McCullough as a lead blocker and challenge your guys to get it done! ! It ain't complicated. It also puts you in better position to flat out fool them with play action. Folks this is Little League 101 and we got Million $ coaches that want to make it sound like rocket science! !! Stop the madness! !

Sep 22, 2014, 10:12 AM

Yep, this one is all on the coaches...really proud of the team... rookie coaching decisions at the end, and then trying so adamantly to defend those decisions...is Morris really worth 1.5 million???

Sep 22, 2014, 10:51 AM [ in reply to Re: Same Old Story: Dabo loses the important game ]

Aubarn, LSU, Georgia, and OSU says hello to you. And Vandy and ECU says hello also!!! YouSuck was on the ropes with both of the last two. Amazing how coots can barely get past team they should slaughter, and coots are drooling all over their selves. Clemson loses to two of the best teams in the country, and we're just not a good team. But we will see in November!!!

Sep 22, 2014, 2:53 PM [ in reply to Re: Same Old Story: Dabo loses the important game ]

Couldn't agree with you more! Mistakes are going to happened and there is only so much you can do to control them. Play calling is a choice... Morris is making terrible choices at critical times in the game !!

Sep 22, 2014, 10:31 AM [ in reply to Re: Same Old Story: Dabo loses the important game ]

I guess our coaches are stubborn like crump. We should have run Choice out of the QB position being that he was a HS QB. And crump should take the coot trash out everyday. High percentage positives could come from both. Stubbornness must be a thing among Clemson folks.

Simple....terrible special teams play

Sep 22, 2014, 9:27 AM

cost us the USuC game, gave momentum back to UGa in that game, and cost us the FSU game. When your kicker cannot make a 23 yarder or a 26 yarder in the UGA game...missing both by more than the length of the kick....its time for a new kicker.

David - excellent wrap-up......

Sep 22, 2014, 9:31 AM

I could not agree with you more.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Winning Attitude Is A Direct Reflection of Head Coach

Sep 22, 2014, 9:32 AM

They have done everything else extremely well and I am proud to be an alumni of Clemson with Dabo leading our team, but PLEASE learn how to WIN these kinds of games. Dabo take charge, you can't hire an assistant to do this, you cannot accept this kind of loss without your best effort. Engage in every part of the team where we struggle, especially at critical times in big games - do what a leader does when his Assts can't see forest for the trees, step in and take over where you have too, period. Staying "comfortable" is a sure way to LOSE. Our good book teaches us this.

If Assistants can not handle that then you don't need or want them in leadership, this is still your team!

Sep 22, 2014, 10:00 AM

I have never posted to any blog my entire life but here we go. Remember the Chic Fil A Bowl against LSU and how we won that game? Les Miles said they couldn't run against the defense and had to pass. Result; they punt, we win. You have to have faith in your QB & line and you can't make a 4th & inches automatically be a 4th & 6 because of the shotgun. Really poor and disappointing decision & I hate second guessing coaches.
Great performance by the D & good performance by the O except those 4 drives that resulted in nothing.
Regroup, refocus, play each game one at a time and then lets beat the coots.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 22, 2014, 10:09 AM

If your going to talk special teams, you have to start with the special teams coordinator, Danny Pearman.

This article is a regurgitation of everything TigerNet

Sep 22, 2014, 10:16 AM

posters were saying late Saturday night.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 22, 2014, 10:45 AM

I believe Swinney and Morris need to review the game film, and look at themselves in the mirror. Kicking game was not ready. The play calling on offense was not stellar. Short and inches, how do you not get up under center, its inches, game changing first downs. Coaches, you were the difference in the win-loss result. Own the responsibility, from not having a the kicking game ready, to waffling on QB, to horrible play-calling on offense. Morris and Swinney appeared lost on the sidelines. The defense played like the defensive teams fro the mid 80's, lights out! Sincerely Dabo, you need to look in the mirror, and ask yourself a few hard questions, if you do not have the "finish the business attitude, how can you expect the players to have it. Again, the responsibility of this loss lies squarely on the shoulders of the Head Coach and OC.

Sep 22, 2014, 10:47 AM

Do we ever use the Pistol formation anymore? That seemed to work better than the Shotgun for running plays.

Sep 22, 2014, 11:11 AM

Everybody on this board was screaming for Watson to play. They got their wish. Watson came in and played really well, but he's a shotgun quarterback. That's what he knows. I don't really know how long it takes to get comfortable under center. Maybe he should have been better prepared to take snaps under center, but if he's more comfortable at shotgun, that's probably what I would run too. It was a bad snap, and it hurt our team but the coaches don't execute that play. I felt like we got in the previous play and that was some straight up the gut running. If they had scored on the next play, nobody would be saying anything. But they didn't. We were still in field goal range. Three points would have been the difference.
Special teams has been a problem for us for waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long. It's past time to make some decisions about that. Too many yards given on returns and no chance at a big play when we're receiving. Swallow your pride and get a special teams coordinator.

Sep 22, 2014, 11:56 AM

By the numbers we're the top defense in the nation and bottom 3 in special teams.... that's the story of the game

Sep 22, 2014, 12:23 PM

Congrats David, you are now an official member of the Hindsight is 20/20 Club. No way you are writing about being under center if we score instead of having that errant snap. How about examining the play before? It looked like to many of us that CJ scored. Why is no one talking about that? Maybe he didn't, but even Herbstreet commented that he thought he did and wondered why it wasn't reviewed.

Bottom line is the coaches had the team ready. The D played as good as any D I have seen all year and the offense was moving the ball. I don't think play calling was the issue.

Sep 22, 2014, 12:44 PM

It's a good thing that DW wasn't under center...with the snap Ryan Norton made he'd have taken DW's nuts off and we may have not got him back this season! LOL

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 22, 2014, 12:57 PM

The way to develop a killer instinct is to play to win, not play to keep from losing. Players are all in. It is time for the coaches to be all in. Second half play calling was too conservative against Georgia and FSU. Short yardage calls were terrible. Our players deserve better.

Looked like a swinney-coached team***

Sep 22, 2014, 1:35 PM

Sep 22, 2014, 1:39 PM

Wow, you said almost exactly what I was thinking. In spite of my anger over play calling. I'm not ready to give up on our coaching staff. After all, their job is to get the team in a position to win and we had that chance. Players have got to make plays. Hold on to the ball, make the easy throws, etc. And, I'm not so tore up about being in the shot gun on short yardage, just the fact we tried to power run out of that formation. You're right, you cant hand the ball off six yds deep when everyone in Doak Campbell knew what was coming. I haven't forgot how miserable our offense was before Morris and I appreciate what he's done but he's got to stop out smarting himself. Its not rocket science.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But wait. We don't HUNH this year.***

Sep 22, 2014, 2:30 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Absolute Arrogance !

Sep 22, 2014, 2:50 PM

This is a direct quote " We have scored a lot of points since I've been here and we've scored a lot of touchdowns in the shotgun inside the five. That isn't going to change. "

the inability of Morris to adapt to game conditions is his glaring weakness. He has a predefined game plan in mind and is incapable of modifying or even considering the fact he may be wrong. Its always " lack of execution" of the part of the players.

Re: Absolute Arrogance !

Sep 22, 2014, 3:49 PM

That is where Dabo needs to step in and put his signature on his staff and team and have the guts to confront them. HE is the head coach, his assistants are all good coaches but they too have weaknesses and he has to overcome them, that is the role he is in, period. If we lose it should be with our best effort, not some "comfort zone" decision.

Re: Absolute Arrogance !

Sep 22, 2014, 5:46 PM [ in reply to Absolute Arrogance ! ]

The coaches owe the players a major apology.

Sep 22, 2014, 3:51 PM

I remember the team slogan for one of Tommy Bowden's last seasons was "Finish the Job". The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Red Zone Scoring

Sep 22, 2014, 4:30 PM

Very interesting . We have gone from being # 1 in 2012 to # 54 in 2013 to # 122 so far this season. If this doesn't send a message to Morris that his play calling needs to change, then it needs to be a Message to Dabo . You are the HC and the buck stops with you! Other teams have seem our game film and are ready for the plays we are calling. What worked in 2012 is NOT working now.

OUR PLAYERS DESERVE BETTER COACHING !!

http://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/red-zone-scoring-pct

Re: Red Zone Scoring

Sep 22, 2014, 9:21 PM

Think maybe that ranking could be because we are the only team in america that has played 2 top 10 defenses in only 3 games. Lets see where we are at season's end. The 2 comparison's are after a full season of play. Apples and oranges.

Re: Red Zone Scoring

Sep 22, 2014, 10:03 PM

Surely you can not overlook scoring only 2 out of 7 times in the red zone as being normal or acceptable for a good team even against other good teams?

Sep 22, 2014, 11:26 PM

If we loose to South Carolina this year then it should be time to send Dabo up the road

Sep 23, 2014, 1:11 AM

> If we loose to South Carolina this year then it
> should be time to send Dabo up the road

Right because beating carolina is all that matters.

Sep 23, 2014, 8:24 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Final thoughts: Florida St. ]

Oh, yea. That would be the smart thing to do. Then we get to pay a bunch of money to a coach who has just won a BCS bowl, had a couple of 11 win seasons in a row, and great has recruits lined up for a very bright future. Then we get to hire a new coach who will get a bunch of $ to come in and take 5 years to bring us back to where we now are, just so we can beat usuc more regularly. That make lots of sense?

Replies: 59
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic