Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Sunday Sermon: A voice in the wilderness, but which to heed?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 1

Sunday Sermon: A voice in the wilderness, but which to heed?

Sep 21, 2014, 4:35 PM

After a morning of particularly violent yardwork, I've gotten over the anger of losing. It might be the only positive thing to come out of our loss to FSU last night.

The disappointment is still there, the knowledge of how close we came to an opportunity that comes maybe once in a generation will linger.

I really did think we were going to win. I told you why I thought we'd win. If that's pumping in your book, so be it. And I hate being wrong.

So I understand just how tempting it is to linger over the raw, biting bile that is awash on the boards, on Twitter, in the smug self-satisfaction of nay-sayers who can't wait to say "See? I TOLD you pumpers that they would choke!"

If you're still in the "don't give me reason, I want to dwell in misery" phase, I won't take it personally. For me, 24 hours is usually enough. You may have a higher appetite for self-destruction.

But a man can only drink bile so long before it eats away at his soul. He can only look in the rear view mirror before you drive head-long into a cucumber truck.

What I want to say is this: Do not feel happy about this loss. Do not say "Boy, we sure were close," or be satisfied with effort that doesn't bring result.

Yes, Clemson outplayed the No. 1 team in the country. Yes, we should be basking in the nation's adoration, rather than its new-found definition of "Clemsoning."

But we aren't. Instead, we're 1-2, and it falls to us to decide what to do about it. Do you linger in the shadows of anger, or do you step from them, vowing not to feel that pain again?

When you're wandering in the wilderness, there are two voices vying for your attention. One wants to draw you deeper into the cesspool of doubt, of inaction, of Caponism.

The other is calling you back to reason, the still small assurance that there truly are better days ahead if you are willing to reach out and claim them.

I cannot help but listen to that voice. After all, the world felt we had no business hanging in that game, even with the 48 TV shots of Crabby on the sideline. The world figured the Noles would roll us up and spit us out.

They didn't.

So rail all you wish about ### calls, bad snaps, worse kicks, phantom face masks ... rail about any and all of them.When you're finally complained out, you're left with one still small voice in your wilderness, telling you one inescapable fact: This team is going to be something special when it's all said and done.

There is no one ... NO ONE ... remaining on our schedule near our talent level. There is no one left on our schedule who can beat us, if we play like we did last night.

I'm not happy today. But I am looking forward to what is coming. I believe that any pain from this day forward will not be our's. It will be the sole property of those who stand in our way.

And God help them all if this team is as pi$$ed as they ought to be.

Better days ahead.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sunday Sermon: A voice in the wilderness, but which to heed?

Sep 21, 2014, 4:41 PM

As usual awesome, thoughtful and honest post. Thanks rev!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well done, well said, good sir.****

Sep 21, 2014, 4:52 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

After this and UGA, our guys should be very dissatisfied,

Sep 21, 2014, 4:52 PM

and feel like they have something to prove. They need to play with a focused, controlled rage from here on out, and start by destroying the Tarholes. That will help restore my faith.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Sep 21, 2014, 4:56 PM

AMEN Rev,the future is definitely bright.

Needed to hear that Rev. Thanks***

Sep 21, 2014, 4:56 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree; however . . .

Sep 21, 2014, 5:10 PM

I just want to know when we are going to grow up and quit pooping and barfing on ourselves in public and causing embarrassing situations. We can't have a repeat performance against USuC. If we do then it is time to admit we are going backwards not forwards. There are no excuses. You win and lose as a team and bottom line is that Clemson lost that game much more than FSU won. We beat ourselves and that is why this is so bad.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 21, 2014, 5:14 PM

WOW, what a powerful post, the classic "voice crying in the wilderness" message. You are quite the wordsmith, you might even surpass that other "super salesman" Dabo with his message of HOPE. I see you even follow his path of using a 100 words when 1 would do.

How do I know this? I am a fan and a coot, I was fed the same BS for many many years. Wait till the next ...... Game, year, special player, etc.

Good luck and we will see you at the end of the year.

Sleep well until then...

Sep 21, 2014, 6:57 PM

I firmly believe the pain we felt last night is nothing compared to what will be awaiting the Capons.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 21, 2014, 9:16 PM [ in reply to Re: Sunday Sermon: A voice in the wilderness, but which to heed? ]

Your losses are coming D-bag!!!

Thanks Rev

Sep 21, 2014, 5:19 PM

I needed that more than you know. Unfortunately I've been with my small kids all day and I'm just now getting outside to partake in some violent yard work.
Go Tigers--put 70 more on the heels!

Thanks Rev.......There's some stompins' coming. This is NOT

Sep 21, 2014, 5:25 PM

the old Clemson.
Remember how we seemed to have a chip on our shoulder after the WV debacle. Pretty sure that chip is there again and any and all that get in the way are going to pay.
And oh yeah, you chicken interlopers.......you better worry about the Tigers next weekend before you start clucking about the last game.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thanks Rev.......There's some stompins' coming. This is NOT

Sep 21, 2014, 6:02 PM

> And oh yeah, you chicken interlopers.......you better
> worry about the Tigers next weekend before you start
> clucking about the last game.

MikeyT your ####hurt is showing. Yes, we are concerned about these SEC Tigers, we barely beat them last year.

And we play Carolina this weekend. Chicken kickin come later***

Sep 21, 2014, 9:12 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's sickening knowing how close we were to making the playo

Sep 21, 2014, 5:49 PM

ff.

It was right there, all we had to do was not flub it.

We flubbed it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Point for cucumber truck

Sep 21, 2014, 5:51 PM

My thoughts too...all remaining opponents should be worried.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 21, 2014, 6:04 PM

Caponism? Really, lol! Rev., you're so full of it sometimes that your eyes have got to be brown, but I did enjoy reading that post. You are so right about the Tigers having better overall talent, offensive line excepted, than anyone left on the schedule. It's the coaches' job to get the team to bring that kind of effort every play of every game on both sides of the ball. We'll see.

Sep 21, 2014, 6:05 PM

As always, thanks Rev for bringing calm reflection to what can only be described as 17 hours of meltdown. BeatUNC

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"There is no one ... NO ONE ... "

Sep 21, 2014, 8:28 PM

Why would you even say this?

There is clearly at least one more team that is capable of beating Clemson. What is the point in denying it?

Ignoring it won't make it untrue.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Why reprimand a Tiger fan on a Tiger board saying

Sep 21, 2014, 8:35 PM

encouraging things about our team? I seriously don't even know why a gamecock has to ask these questions. The gall of you fans amaze me...like you have rights to what is typed on your opponents board...

You may be right, but you lack tact. You should learn to chose battles if you're truly here to "discuss football" and not troll.

Because he knows it to be true ...

Sep 21, 2014, 8:49 PM

..and the cognitive dissonance becomes overwhelming as the end draws near.

I have no issue with encouragement

Sep 21, 2014, 8:59 PM [ in reply to Why reprimand a Tiger fan on a Tiger board saying ]

But outright lying is just delusional.

Sure Clemson could beat Carolina. But there is a reason Carolina is ranked and Clemson isn't. It's just delusional to act as though Carolina isn't as talented as Clemson.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Think that effort at Vandy would have won at FSU?

Sep 21, 2014, 9:03 PM

Now, think that effort at FSU would have won at Vandy?

You now have your answer.

That's a nonsensical question

Sep 21, 2014, 9:32 PM

But yes we could beat a Winstonless FSU.

With the effort you had last night?

Sep 21, 2014, 9:39 PM

Now who's being delusional?

Would be weird playing Vandy

Sep 21, 2014, 9:44 PM

In Tallahassee.

No .... there isn't.

Sep 21, 2014, 8:43 PM [ in reply to "There is no one ... NO ONE ... " ]

Wishing won't make it true.

Everyone is capable of beating this team so long as we

Sep 21, 2014, 8:39 PM

beat ourselves.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great post Rev!

Sep 21, 2014, 8:44 PM

I for one and really excited about the rest of the year! This team is very good.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 21, 2014, 9:08 PM

Amen!!!

Good message; hope we take our frustrations on Swofford U***

Sep 21, 2014, 9:19 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 21, 2014, 9:48 PM

Couldn't agree more. Something special is not far off. Keep the faith and Go Tigers!

Sep 22, 2014, 1:50 AM

Whooo!!!
Preach it rev!!! Whooo!!!
Hallejuah!!!

Point for the great post Rev! We'll be there on Staurday to

Sep 22, 2014, 6:56 AM

for Watson's first start and a rebound by our Tigers! And we'll be there for the remainder of the games as well. GO TIGERS!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 33
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic