Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Short-yardage failures bite Tigers again
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 54
| visibility 1

New Story: Short-yardage failures bite Tigers again

Sep 21, 2014, 2:09 AM

Short-yardage failures bite Tigers again

In a game full of big plays, spectacular moments and high-pressure mistakes two plays stand out, and they both focus on not being able to make a short-yardage play with the quarterback under center with the game on the line. What do Dabo Swinney and Chad Morris say about not putting the quarterback under center in short-yardage situations? Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Short-yardage failures bite Tigers again***

Sep 21, 2014, 3:00 AM

Re: New Story: Short-yardage failures bite Tigers again******

Sep 21, 2014, 3:00 AM

Sep 21, 2014, 3:04 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Short-yardage failures bite Tigers again*** ]

Why is it so hard to recruit a field goal kicker? A good kicker could help the short game.

Sep 21, 2014, 7:43 AM

kickers are a strange breed. Most are somewhat "head cases". When their confidence goes, they are toast. Remember cat-man's freshman year?

Sep 21, 2014, 9:04 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Short-yardage failures bite Tigers again*** ]

Lakip was SUPPOSED to be a good kicker. So we did recruit on. He has just turned into a head case.

Now I thought that Pinnion could also kick field goals. Why can't the coaches put him out there?

Sep 21, 2014, 10:05 AM

Kid is young. Catman as a FR missed an important FG vs Auburn. He turned out all right bc he worked on it and sought help to clear the distractions and hone focus, aka he worked and worked and worked on it.

Sep 21, 2014, 10:02 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Short-yardage failures bite Tigers again*** ]

They did recruit a kicker. Lakip was recruited and had reputation as a very good kicker.

Sep 21, 2014, 10:02 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Short-yardage failures bite Tigers again*** ]

They did recruit a kicker. Lakip was recruited and had reputation as a very good kicker.

Sep 21, 2014, 12:44 PM

maybe they cut off his hashhich.

Sep 21, 2014, 10:57 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Short-yardage failures bite Tigers again*** ]

You have a coordinator who is the 2nd highest paid one in the country and yet he is making stupid decisions by snapping the ball in a shotgun formation. We outplayed FSU and should have won! We also need a new kicker. 2 relatively easy kicks to make and he misses them both. I was even nervous when he was kicking the extra points. We loss because of bad coaching and because of poor special teams.

Sep 21, 2014, 10:09 PM

I totally agree bad coaching decisions in short yardage downs and why running the ball when the running game was not working (ran 40 times / passed 33 times) FSU could not stop the pass. Why the bad decisions?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I STAND FOR THE FLAG AND KNEEL FOR THE FALLEN

Re: New Story: Short-yardage failures bite Tigers again

Sep 21, 2014, 6:38 AM

I agree that we were in the endzone for a TD the play before "the snap." The announcers thought so too.

Proud of O-Line, D-Line and D-Backs

Sep 21, 2014, 8:15 AM

Best team DB and DL performance I've seen in years. O-Line played well against a very good FSU D-line. I'm optimistic for the future.

I can understand...

Sep 21, 2014, 11:08 AM

And I realize that maybe the best DL we'll face all
year. BUT!
Theres a lot of work that needs to be done on the OL.

IMO.

I'm surprised there wasn't a review of the play before the

Sep 21, 2014, 8:47 AM

bad snap. It appeared half his body was in the end zone, I can't imagine the ball didn't cross the line.

Re: I'm surprised there wasn't a review of the play before the

Sep 21, 2014, 9:11 AM

i agree, even after watching the replay. I thought he scored.

Re: I'm surprised there wasn't a review of the play before the

Sep 22, 2014, 12:03 AM

Me too

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

After watching relay, I didn't think he scored***

Sep 21, 2014, 10:50 AM [ in reply to I'm surprised there wasn't a review of the play before the ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: After watching relay, I didn't think he scored***

Sep 21, 2014, 12:38 PM

have another drink

Sure, you buying?***

Sep 21, 2014, 2:30 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do something uncomfortable

Sep 21, 2014, 8:49 AM

Game should never have been that close. Defensive coordinators love that we stay in our "comfort zone". Only hurdle left for the tigers to stay relevant every year and take our rightful place over coots is to expect to win and that starts with the coaches! Stop trying not to lose and go win the dang game - do not accept losing games like this period!

O Line played well

Sep 21, 2014, 8:58 AM

Really? They were particularly bad in the second half

Offensive Line

Sep 21, 2014, 4:01 PM

Hate to say it...
but right now, the OL might be the weakness on the
team, outside of place kicker.
Not 1 guy deserves to be listed as a starter, not 1.

IMO.

^^THIS^^

Sep 21, 2014, 11:37 AM [ in reply to Do something uncomfortable ]

Exactly. Ditto. It was obvious from the first offensive series of the 2nd half, we were trying not to lose a one possession game. With 2 full freaking quarters left. Auggh! Who runs short yardage plays out of the shotgun? Put the youngster under center and let him read it from there. I'm sorry, that crap was so predictable. And what happened to booming the kick offs out of the end zone? This was, IMO, one of Tommy Bowden's downfalls, treating special teams like some ancillary duty. How many games did he lose from kick offs, punt returns, missed FG's, etc. No, the game should have never been that close. The Georgia game and this one will define this season. The what ifs. The only remaining pleasure will be is if we now run the table

If only we had a QB that we have all the

Sep 21, 2014, 9:17 AM

Confidence in the world in that started three games this season and is even comfortable taking snaps under center...

Oh... And Chad, if you don't know...challenges are allowed...

Re: If only we had a QB that we have all the

Sep 21, 2014, 9:32 AM

Well the series before jadar made the pick, we were being to conservative. Trying to not lose instead of going for the jugular!!! Happens time after time with this staff!
I hate it for Lakip but ...... See ya pal! I never want to see him put on a tiger jersey again.
The running game hurt us. Our backs are not big and strong enuff to have a great team. Unless .....
Let's don't forget # 40. He could have got us that short yardage that we desperately needed. He's the full back that we've been looking for , for the last several years.he can't help sitting over there on the pines.

Sep 21, 2014, 9:58 AM

I don't think putting in personnel that hardly ever plays, the FB, is the answer. I do think that all college quarterbacks should be capable of being under center for a QB sneak. The chances of making that are higher.

Sep 21, 2014, 10:09 AM

So u think choice, gsllman, Watson, kitt, Scott,Alexander,Johnson and so on shouldn't be on the field either??????? Why not put in FLEMMING for the short yardage. He's actually older than the rest of these kids I just mentioned and more mature. Watson wasn't going to push that d-line back. FLEMMING would have!

Flemming also fumbled against SC State...

Sep 21, 2014, 2:04 PM

Flemming has potential, but Choice is a powerful runner.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 21, 2014, 12:24 PM [ in reply to Re: If only we had a QB that we have all the ]

On that critical play, we didn't even have our best center in the game.

You do know he was hurt, right ####?***

Sep 21, 2014, 2:04 PM

Adam Choice played great last night, get a clue...

Sep 21, 2014, 2:03 PM [ in reply to Re: If only we had a QB that we have all the ]

the oline has to block.

Sep 21, 2014, 6:52 PM [ in reply to Re: If only we had a QB that we have all the ]

See you later pal , as a fan. That comment was not smart.

Sep 21, 2014, 6:54 PM [ in reply to Re: If only we had a QB that we have all the ]

See you later pal , as a fan. That comment was not smart. The same no 40 that fumbled against SC state. Yea , that's smart. Lapkip will be fine. He just needs more game experience.

Clueless, the offensive coordinator is not allowed to...

Sep 21, 2014, 2:02 PM [ in reply to If only we had a QB that we have all the ]

challenge plays.

Yeah, but that HC he stands next to certainly can...***

Sep 21, 2014, 9:49 PM

Sep 21, 2014, 6:50 PM [ in reply to If only we had a QB that we have all the ]

That's a bytch comment.

Sorry Chad...the truth hurts.***

Sep 21, 2014, 9:49 PM

Sep 21, 2014, 10:08 AM

Well, if Watson is has issues under center why wouldn't Stoudt come in for plays like that? Watson is the starter, but Stoudt could help in those situations. Also, use Fleming or DJ Reader as full back with Choice. Much better chance for success. Running back finds it hard to drive through 2 defensive players, but with only one there we probably score.

Sep 21, 2014, 1:05 PM

Fleming in the 4th quarter as a situational tail back! Coach talked about how they played a lot of youngsters. Well, FLEMING is a old youngster. His body's more developed than a normal freshman because of baseball.

Sep 21, 2014, 11:19 AM

Is Lakip the only one that can kick a field goal? When you miss one, a chip shot, go to the # 2 kicker. Should have won this game. Touchdown call should have been reviewed/ challenged. On watching replay, I believe he scored. On Watson under center, nothing would have been lost trying. 2 yard loss better than 24 yard loss. Conservative play calling by Morris has got to stop.

Morris and Swinney need to take their heads out of their

Sep 21, 2014, 11:43 AM

a$$es and get real. Shotgun formation in the red zone is one of the dumbest things an offense can do. There is no second guessing involved, it's just plain stupid. I'm not buying that Deshaun can't handle a snap under center. This red zone and goal line shotgun crap has to go. It's pathetic.

Re: Morris and Swinney need to take their heads out of their

Sep 21, 2014, 12:30 PM

And playing a 290 pound center with questionable blocking ability instead of our 330 pounder who most feel is better blocker and should be starting?? Hello.

He was out with a hamstring pull***

Sep 21, 2014, 7:37 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Morris and Swinney need to take their heads out of their

Sep 21, 2014, 12:32 PM [ in reply to Morris and Swinney need to take their heads out of their ]

Right on! Come on Morris, can't you find a better excuse than your highest recruited QB can't handle a snap under center? Your resume is littered with inept play calling!!

you tell em coot***

Sep 21, 2014, 2:06 PM

A&M, Oklahoma, Auburn, Oregon, and all the other HUNH...

Sep 21, 2014, 2:05 PM [ in reply to Morris and Swinney need to take their heads out of their ]

do the same thing and have no trouble in short yardage situations. Difference between us and them, oline play. Caldwell must go.

Caldwell is still playing with Brad's guys.

Sep 21, 2014, 7:40 PM

Based on this years recruiting, we may start hitting on some decent OL. Caldwell deserves more time. OL do not come in and play early.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 21, 2014, 12:57 PM

Two things. Wasn't Watson under center the 1st play of overtime? And if he thought we scored, why did he quick snap? Why not give them time to review?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just because QB is under center doesn't mean QB has to run.***

Sep 21, 2014, 2:01 PM

Two words - Robbie Caldwell***

Sep 21, 2014, 2:02 PM

Re: 2nd guess my butt

Sep 21, 2014, 2:06 PM

There is no 2nd guessing here. 1st guess and only guess on my call would have been from 2 feet away to put in Stoudt UNDER CENTER and run that ball 3 times in a row. Stoudt is the heavier of the 2 QB's. This is a no brainer. Question now is where does the team go from here? It will be their choice. The season will be defined going forward.

Re: 2nd guess my butt

Sep 21, 2014, 2:15 PM

The season is done. Doesn't matter if we win or lose another game. Start playing future players to prepare for the next few seasons. Let FLEMMING have the ball more. Throw more to young receivers. Play bulwhare, tankersley, odaniel, pagano,crowder,etc. maybe even Morris can learn how run an offense . Cause he sure ain't doing a good job!!

Teaching is the backbone of coaching - short yardage

Sep 21, 2014, 5:46 PM

under center is part of the game. Ignore it at the peril of the team. And the team loses. It is called coaching. Teaching star players a facet of the game they are uncomfortable with. I bet Deshaun will learn it this week.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 54
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic