Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: The key to beating Florida St.? It's all about blocking and tackling
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 43
| visibility 1

New Story: The key to beating Florida St.? It's all about blocking and tackling

Sep 19, 2014, 1:16 PM

The key to beating Florida St.? It's all about blocking and tackling

The talking heads on television will come up with all sorts of scenarios and reasons Clemson can or can't beat Florida St. on Saturday. However, the key to a Clemson victory is fairly simple: Blocking and tackling. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who's stronger? Faster? Better coached? Wants it more?***

Sep 19, 2014, 1:21 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Who's stronger? Faster? Better coached? Wants it more?***

Sep 19, 2014, 1:55 PM

Boston College had FSU on the ropes last year. They play a notoriously physical brand of "northeastern" football that gives new meaning to the term "smash-mouth." Ask mighty Southern Cal about it. That's what it will take to upset Fla. State. Can we be that type of team? I honestly don't know. I think a lot of it depends on what players have done in the weight room during the offseason. Looking at our underweight tackles doesn't give me a lot of confidence.

According to Winston

Sep 19, 2014, 1:57 PM [ in reply to Who's stronger? Faster? Better coached? Wants it more?*** ]

that chick wanted it more.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

I'm skrong if you skrong.***

Sep 19, 2014, 2:00 PM [ in reply to Who's stronger? Faster? Better coached? Wants it more?*** ]

That 'coach speak' must be contagious... J/K.***

Sep 19, 2014, 1:23 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tackle and Grapple

Sep 19, 2014, 1:25 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qto_Sx4Id6k

Clemson

Re: New Story: The key to beating Florida St.? It's all about blocking and tackling

Sep 19, 2014, 1:25 PM

Dead on with this, if the O line doesn't hold up we dont stand a chance.
On a side note Deshaun seems to move better with the pocket and seems calmer under pressure and more likely to scramble than "statue" Stoudt does. It looked like Stoudt just froze up whenever GA blitzed us a few weeks ago.

Re: New Story: The key to beating Florida St.? It's all about blocking and tackling

Sep 19, 2014, 7:02 PM

Tell-um cooter;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

score more points?***

Sep 19, 2014, 1:26 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

63-17

Re: score more points?***

Sep 19, 2014, 1:57 PM

Got block and tackle in order to do that.

it was a coach speak joke.***

Sep 19, 2014, 3:48 PM

63-17

Sep 19, 2014, 1:28 PM

It's amazing that these pictures of blatant holding have lasted almost a full year.

Sep 19, 2014, 1:29 PM

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=8582758

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 19, 2014, 1:36 PM

In other breaking news, water is wet

I agree David. Always was, is, & will be OL, DL, & kicking.

Sep 19, 2014, 1:36 PM

Those three did us pretty darn well from 1978 to 1989, and really haven't had them all at one time since then.

There's the rub. OL rarely good under Bowden & Dabo.***

Sep 19, 2014, 1:49 PM

Re: There's the rub. OL rarely good under Bowden & Dabo.***

Sep 19, 2014, 2:18 PM

Bowden and rich Rod started the problem when they took our o-line down to about 275 so they could run. Then other teams used it against us very well -if you want to play in the pros, Clemson will ruin you. Takes awhile to build an O-line and Dabo seems to be on the way with current recuits. Remember, we have lost several O-linemen to career ending injuries who no one could predict or probably prevent. Just bad luck...

Recruited quantity & quality have lacked. S&C questionable

Sep 19, 2014, 3:59 PM

Dabo & the staff have recruited well-- pretty much EXCEPT for the OL. (Though it looks like that may finally change in a few years when the inbound/new guys come online.)

There's always going to be attrition and evaluation-misses on the OL which is why the coaches should have been taking greater numbers every year. A few years ago our best OLman was a walk-on left tackle (Price) and the OL got beat up he went down with injury. A prominent program like Clemson shouldn't be in that situation. We shouldn't perennially be in trouble because a linemen doesn't pan out or gets injured or leaves school. And the coaches shouldn't be surprised when it happens year after year after year. I don't understand why it's taken Dabo so long to do something about it. He's been on staff since 2003 and running the show for 6 years.

I can't say for certain but it looks like our S&C for OLmen hasn't been top notch either. Clemson recruits better OL talent than a lot of schools but Clemson's OL doesn't seem to be as strong. Too often Clemson's OL can't handle D's that they outweigh significantly.

Re: Recruited quantity & quality have lacked. S&C questionable

Sep 19, 2014, 6:53 PM

You make excellent points with which I largely agree. You are obvious football savvy, so how does BC take 2-star recruits and turn them into beasts who had Fla. State on the ropes last year, and crushed mighty Southern Cal this past weekend? I've got to believe it's their strength program, plus the totally aggressive attitude of their coach who doesn't tolerate slackers. Your input will be greatly appreciated. Incidentally, I now see BC as a possible loss for a us this year.

You armchair trainers and your S&C whining are awful***

Sep 19, 2014, 7:57 PM [ in reply to Recruited quantity & quality have lacked. S&C questionable ]

So you're saying we're a top ten program in spite of

Sep 19, 2014, 11:53 PM [ in reply to Recruited quantity & quality have lacked. S&C questionable ]

recruiting, but then you also say we're not coached well? What gives, Einstein?

Sep 19, 2014, 6:38 PM [ in reply to Re: There's the rub. OL rarely good under Bowden & Dabo.*** ]

I've seen plenty of 300+ guys who can run quite well. We don't recruit well in that area, and then don't develop the ones we do recruit----witness Gore and Battle. Regarding our OL, I'm afraid that horse is out of the barn. Some famous coach said that most games are won or lost in the off-season. I'm afraid this game is in that category. A really great coach might find ways to compensate for these deficiencies, but while I think Dabo is a very good recruiter, I have reservations as to his ability as a head coach. To have a chance, we'll have to nickel and dime them with quick throws of 5 to 7 yards, make first downs, score points and keep their offense sitting on the sidelines; occasionally line up in the I formation with big Kurt as a lead blocker with Adam Choice as the RB. Of course, Flemming is a bruiser with speed who can do very well on his own as an RB. Then we've got to use our tight ends in the quick-pass strategy. I thought that when Leggett got up to 251 he had decided to become a player. Apparently that's not the case since (according to Coach Morris) he continues to run "lazy" routes and chooses not block anyone. What a waste. But J.J. McCullough is tough, and is getting better and better. I'd start him over Leggett---just MHO. Our strength program is average at best. But, Dabo thinks it's great, so no debate permitted there.

Sep 19, 2014, 3:01 PM [ in reply to There's the rub. OL rarely good under Bowden & Dabo.*** ]

OUR BIGGEST WEAKNESS FOREVER!!!! way past time for this to have been corrected.. also, after this year our D/L??????????

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 19, 2014, 7:09 PM

I agree. Well paid coaches who are supposed to be experts
in their field can't see this stuff. How long, for example, were we told that DJ Howard was a top-flight back who was going to "break out." I like DJ and his effort, but to me it's obvious that he isn't a D-1 caliber back. And Dabo's effusive praise of Spenser Region who at 315 could be a force at LT. He's done nothing. A sad, major waste of talent. Stoudt is a hard-working guy. and I admire him. But, he lacks mobility and is a "statue" at QB. Obviously, Fla State will come after him hard and fast, and with our OL??? Ouch.

About 120 teams wish they had our coaching staff...

Sep 19, 2014, 10:43 PM

considering we're 8th in the last 3 years along with two top ten finishes. You make it sound like we haven't been one of the better programs in the entire country, but let's face it, that makes no sense at all. Only an idiot would suggest our coaching staff aren't "experts". Youmust be an idiot?

Look, even though you're a low-IQ ####, do you ever consider the facts when you go on and on with your retarded charade?

TOUCHBACKS.***

Sep 19, 2014, 1:57 PM

There's something in these hills.

I think its also important that we score more points then

Sep 19, 2014, 1:58 PM

them

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 19, 2014, 1:59 PM

coaching?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 19, 2014, 7:11 PM

Yeah, a question mark.

3 Dlineman on the field at a time

Sep 19, 2014, 2:58 PM

Get Pagano some run!

zero confidence in our OL..SC State was able to get pressure***

Sep 19, 2014, 3:25 PM

yep...I hate close ballgames

Sep 19, 2014, 3:34 PM

when our 1st string is in the entire game and feeling pressure...

Keep up the good observations my man...you'll earn that gold star soon enough

Re: yep...I hate close ballgames

Sep 19, 2014, 7:17 PM

Oh, we should be thumping our chests over beating hapless SCSU? A team that shouldn't even be on our schedule. And Dabo doesn't understand why FSU is favored over us. I'm afraid he'll find out on Saturday. Hope I'm wrong

Sep 19, 2014, 3:42 PM

Duh huh captain obvious. Isn't that the key to most any game?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Sep 19, 2014, 7:18 PM

Apparently not obvious to our coaches.

kinda hit the nail on the head...

Sep 19, 2014, 3:49 PM

Winston being out that 1st half is gonna be huge, but he doesn't play on offensive line, defense, or special teams. Our OL has to be up to the task of protecting Stoudt/Watson and opening some holes for the run game so that we don't bog down like we did against UGA. Our defense needs to step up, wrap these guys up when they hit them and stop them in their tracks. Also need our front 7 to beat their OL and pressure this backup QB often. We do those things and don't shy away from using our young guys like we did against UGA, we'll have a golden opportunity to jump on FSU and make it where Winston's return in the 2nd half won't even be a factor.

LET'S GO TIGERS!!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: kinda hit the nail on the head...

Sep 19, 2014, 6:23 PM

AMEN!!! Let's go get it done Tigers!!!

Re: kinda hit the nail on the head...

Sep 19, 2014, 7:20 PM [ in reply to kinda hit the nail on the head... ]

I hope we do what you've said. I just don't know what to expect from this coaching staff.

Sep 19, 2014, 6:22 PM

GREAT JOB!! YOU NAILED IT!! Offensive line holds MAJOR key to this game. Now time to go play ball Tigers!! Make us proud and bring home THE BIG UPSET!!! Tiger Nation is ALL IN and behind our guys!!! GO TIGERS!

Sep 19, 2014, 6:31 PM

This is a no brainer;SCORE MORE POINTS
Doesn't matter how you do it as long as it's legal.
Don't steal signals like Bill Synder ( Kansas State)accused
Auburn of doing in the first half of last nights game,don't steal a playbook like the Jets accused Bill Belichek over the summer,or sneak someone in to film this weeks practice,
don't pay off the star qb,or somehow produce a video of the teams best player being an "A-Hole" in hopes of getting him suspeneded for the first half.
Just go out and score more points and you will win the game.Happens every time.
No reason to think this time will be any different.

Sep 19, 2014, 7:24 PM

I agree, but can we play the kind of smash-mouth football that will be required? So far, we haven't been a very tough, physical team.

"It is truly amazing what a good offensive line can mean..."

Sep 19, 2014, 7:04 PM

It has been many years since we have had power football at Clemson. I truly hope Dabo has seen the light.

Sep 19, 2014, 9:03 PM

WOW....you learn something everyday...good blocking and tackling wins football games. Who would a thunk it??? I'll go out on a limb and say that all teams that block and tackle really well will win their game this Saturday. Unfortunately, for all these teams there is another team on the opposite side of the ball that is trying to do the same, which sometimes kind of makes it more difficult.

Next TNet article - Scoring more points than the other team wins games 100% of the time.

Replies: 43
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic