Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: Clemson hotels hike prices on game weekends the most in AP Top 25
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 44
| visibility 1

FB Update: Clemson hotels hike prices on game weekends the most in AP Top 25

Sep 3, 2014, 12:02 PM

Clemson hotels hike prices on game weekends the most in AP Top 25

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They have skyrocketed in the last two years.

Sep 3, 2014, 12:04 PM

Our hotel in Greenville used to be $89 two years ago. Now it's $129.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: They have skyrocketed in the last two years.

Sep 3, 2014, 12:12 PM

A lot of the areas around Clemson are starting to catch on as more people are flocking to the area for games. It still floors me that the Days Inn in Clemson is getting almost $400/night with a minimum 2 night stay for big games. I don't think they sell out. It seems those rooms are available right up until game day. But who needs to sell out with a markup like that?

For reference - I can stay there tonight for $67. I can stay Oct 10-12 for $800.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You should check grocery prices during the school year vs.

Sep 3, 2014, 1:50 PM [ in reply to They have skyrocketed in the last two years. ]

summer break. It's quite significant.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: FB Update: Clemson hotels hike prices on game weekends the most in AP Top 25

Sep 3, 2014, 12:04 PM

well hurray we're number one at something football related

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Man walks on moon****

Sep 3, 2014, 12:05 PM

We landed on the moon?***

Sep 3, 2014, 12:05 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not really any other comparable towns and fanbases

Sep 3, 2014, 12:07 PM

Only a couple of the towns where those schools are are as small or remote as Clemson, and none of the teams in really small towns like that have a following like Clemson's. Clemson probably couldn't support too many more hotels year- round than it already has, thus the hotel prices are jacked way up if you want to stay in town.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Um... what about Ole Miss & Oxford?

Sep 3, 2014, 1:00 PM

Ole Miss is a very similar situation to us... smaller town, similarly sized school (though smaller stadium), and they only go up 12%. As a larger city, Memphis, is further away from Oxford than Greenville is from Clemson. I don't see it as justified; I see it as extortion.

As a Lowcountry alum, I can strongly testify that I would consider going to one or two more additional games a year if the hotels in the Clemson/Anderson area would adjust their rates. I don't mind paying a markup, or even a two-day requirement, but not one where the cost is so out of whack with regular rates.

Oxford isn't as small as Clemson***

Sep 3, 2014, 1:03 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's the same reason they built one of the biggest Hampton Inn's

Apr 28, 2014, 4:33 PM

I have ever seem right when you come into little old Seneca... It has to be six or seven floors

also 1/4 smaller stadium and less football tradition***

Sep 3, 2014, 5:17 PM [ in reply to Oxford isn't as small as Clemson*** ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If PSU were ranked they'd be right there with us

Sep 3, 2014, 3:50 PM [ in reply to Not really any other comparable towns and fanbases ]

State College is larger, but it's more remote than Clemson.

The mark up on the Marriott hotels is about 150% on game weekends, parents' weekend, graduation, etc.

"It's Baltimore, Gentlemen; the Gods will not save you."

would guess there's more hotels there for the bigger school

Sep 3, 2014, 5:27 PM

And even State College has 3x the population of Clemson.

there's 20 hotels in state college. 8 in Clemson

Sep 3, 2014, 7:19 PM

so yes there's more to meet the demand, but not sure what that has to do with the game day mark up.

"It's Baltimore, Gentlemen; the Gods will not save you."

The town without a lake?***

Sep 3, 2014, 3:54 PM [ in reply to Not really any other comparable towns and fanbases ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Auburn's 4x larger than Clemson***

Sep 3, 2014, 5:18 PM

uh..Supply/Demand..

Sep 3, 2014, 12:12 PM

You can get a good hotel deal in Atlanta for Bowl games/SEC Championship etc....why....there are a Gazillion hotels.

hence, no change in hotel prices in LA/ Phoenix***

Sep 3, 2014, 12:17 PM

The TNet Marxists arent going to like this. They want to pay

Sep 3, 2014, 12:15 PM

face for FSU tix but $5 for SC State. Long live the revolution

Re: FB Update: Clemson hotels hike prices on game weekends the most in AP Top 25

Sep 3, 2014, 12:19 PM

Did they use the "Whitney Rate" to come up with the average Columbia rate?

Lol***

Sep 3, 2014, 12:27 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ya Think ? Try like over 200 if your anywhere close ......

Sep 3, 2014, 12:24 PM

Yep, over 200 for a decent seat, over 200-300 for a room, plus the cost and time getting there ...

Still like 'dim Tigers ! That is why we have VISA ....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FIRE BATSON!!***

Sep 3, 2014, 12:28 PM

For me, it's not so much the rate....

Sep 3, 2014, 12:28 PM

but the required two-night mimimums that crumbles my crackers.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Gouging Cemson hotels

Sep 3, 2014, 12:42 PM

Gouging was illegal at one time, perhaps it still is. But so was/is scalping illegal and is done freely with no fear of enforcement

There is no competition in play near Clemson. Schools in larger population centers do not have as much gouging due to more accommodations/competition.

Re: Gouging Cemson hotels

Sep 3, 2014, 1:15 PM

Price gouging is illegal when you have something that people need and you charge an unreasonable amount. Hotel rates in and around Clemson will continue to be high because people are willing to pay it.

Sounds like simple supply and demand

Sep 3, 2014, 1:34 PM

They still sell them out

Of course Clemson hotels have the highest hikes...

Sep 3, 2014, 1:02 PM

Clemson is the most rural school in Division 1 football.

Sep 3, 2014, 1:19 PM

Did this just look at Clemson, or did it consider Anderson, Greenville, Seneca, etc.?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Sep 3, 2014, 1:47 PM

Stay away from Tuscaloosa La Quinta

Sep 3, 2014, 2:09 PM

Yet another reason for NO night football games.

This should surprise no one; however, it's obscene

Sep 3, 2014, 2:11 PM

how greedy hotels have gotten. Raise the rates a little, sure. Double them or worse? Pure greed. It's almost impossible to find (non-questionable) hotels for under $150/night on game weekends, even as far out as the Anderson business park. I was looking today just for kicks, and there's a new "boutique" hotel in Clemson--I think it used to be the Sleep Inn or the Comfort Inn, not sure which one--called the "Hotel Tillman", and on the Louisville game weekend their rooms START at $500/night. UNC is $400/night.

If these hotels think they can instill some sort of "loyalty" by suckering me in with reasonable rates the first year just to jack them up the next, they're sorely wrong. I'd rather just stay in Greenville and drive the extra 20 minutes each way than get ripped off by hotel managers.

I'm pretty sure most of those hotels wouldn't exist

Sep 3, 2014, 4:00 PM

if it weren't for football. They probably pull in 1/2 their year's income from 10 weekends a year (7 football games, freshman move-in, Fall and Spring graduation). The rest of the year most of those hotels stay pretty much empty, so if they didn't charge so much then they wouldn't be here as an option for people to stay in next season.

I don't know that is true anymore

Sep 3, 2014, 6:52 PM

It certainly used to be that hotels in Clemson sat pretty empty except game weekends, but I have been staying in them fairly often on non football game weekends over the last six or seven years, and they are NOT empty. People come in town for all kinds of events, camps, competitions that are being held at Clemson facilities, meetings, retreats, Clemson University campus tours, Orientation, and all those other sports. So they do not have to make all of their money on football game weekends, but this is America, and if people are willing to pay it... Clemson has ranked highly in the town supporting the university and I think hotels "gouging" the fans and families goes against that reputation. It is hard to tout yourself as family friendly when one weekend costs twice people's monthly mortgage or one night hotel = one month's rent in most students' housing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't believe that

Sep 3, 2014, 11:09 PM [ in reply to I'm pretty sure most of those hotels wouldn't exist ]

There are conferences, sporting events, and other various events going on in Clemson all the time. I'm sure the hotels are 100% filled every night, but they're not sitting empty 351 days out of the year either. There's adjusting prices to account for high demand, and then there's jacking up prices to see how much you can get away with. Hotels are doing the latter.

Just like seasonal rates for hotels at the beach

Sep 3, 2014, 2:12 PM

No bigger season than football season around Clemson. All about supply and demand.

Sep 3, 2014, 2:15 PM

I quit staying in Clemson ..... Paying 250 plus a night...... For what is a 50 buck a night room..... At best..... I'll stay in greenville..... Better rooms, better prices..... Better resturants

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Just make friends in the area

Sep 3, 2014, 4:01 PM

I live in the area hand have somebody on my couch and usually someone on an air mattress every home football weekend

I know a few. And we do stay with them some.

Sep 4, 2014, 12:08 PM

But I also was taught not to take advantage of anything.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Sep 3, 2014, 2:16 PM

Probably reasonable given supply and demand.

Wow..Last Weekend's Wounds Was Trying To Heal ----

Sep 3, 2014, 4:03 PM

Now they opened them back up to
pour salt all in them.

Thanks Clemson hospitality!

Go Tigers!

Econ 101 is offered at Clemson. Some folks on here need it.***

Sep 3, 2014, 4:10 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Relax folks.

Sep 3, 2014, 5:24 PM

The University has nothing to do with this. If any of the whiners want to do something build another motel/hotel in Clemson and see how tough it is when there's not a football game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

According to Linda Long this is not true...she's not having

Sep 3, 2014, 7:41 PM

a trip to Tally because she couldn't find any hotel prices less than $400 per night...she even called Econo Lodge and they were $400+...the girl she talked to said "didn't you know we won the national championship"...she should have told the girl that we won it too and long before they did and then axed her if that price included the condom...

Replies: 44
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic