Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Final thoughts on the Georgia game
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 113
| visibility 51

New Story: Final thoughts on the Georgia game

Sep 1, 2014, 7:01 AM

Final thoughts on the Georgia game

Final thoughts from David Hood on Clemson's 45-21 loss at Georgia. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Totally agree on everything, esp the Tight ends......

Sep 1, 2014, 7:13 AM

We played timid and let the Dawgs have their way with us. I am tired of the big losses. Hope they get this turned around quick!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson Football, the glory days are here!

Re: Totally agree on everything, esp the Tight ends......

Sep 1, 2014, 7:21 AM

The facts on the loses are rough! When was the last close game with a ranked opponent that the tigers lost? Auburn 2010? I guess on the flip side you could say that if clemson is close very late in the 4th you have to like their chances?

We were up 10 in the 4th in Tallahassee two years ago. Then

Sep 1, 2014, 8:35 AM

the special teams did their usual allowing two huge returns. The momentum swung, the quiet crowd came alive and the Noles rolled.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

we were up 14 & 10 in the 3rd, they took a 4 point lead into

Sep 1, 2014, 8:44 AM

the 4th, but the rest is spot on.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yep, sorry. 7 mins left in the 3rd, then the wheels came off***

Sep 1, 2014, 9:00 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

good convo t_swim, no need to apologize...***

Sep 1, 2014, 9:11 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

EXCELLENT, David! Does this game remind anyone of 2012

Sep 1, 2014, 9:39 AM [ in reply to Totally agree on everything, esp the Tight ends...... ]

loss to SCar in Death Valley? Playing well in 1st half - then got conservative
& LOST!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Need to remove Adam for punt returns..

Sep 1, 2014, 12:16 PM [ in reply to Totally agree on everything, esp the Tight ends...... ]

WE want get any returns for touchdowns or big yardage with him back there...offensive line was terrible in the second half and that cost us the game.

Re: New Story: Final thoughts on the Georgia game

Sep 1, 2014, 7:22 AM

I was very surprised that we have gotten away from using the tight ends. I wondered this the entire game. Seems like the only time they were in the game they were used for blocking. We used to use our tight ends a lot. Dwayne Allen and Brandon Ford were a big part of the scheme and were targeted often during their time at Clemson. I would like to see us go back to using the tight end position for more than just blocking...

I had told my dad( who does not follow closely but watches

Sep 1, 2014, 7:30 AM

On Saturdays) that we would use the tight ends to neutralize their LB blitzing ability. I especially told him to watch out for #16 because " he is a mismatch made in heaven for us". I got back from the game and had lunch with dad yesterday. He asked me " where was that #16?". I had no answer.....I hope Chad will soon.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson Football, the glory days are here!

Sep 1, 2014, 7:30 AM

On top of that, all the big wins are squeakers... 3 points over UGA, 5 points over OH St, and 1 pt over LSU. That's not really elite. Over the last 3 years we've been a tweener... better than the scrubs but drilled by the big boys. We've won 11 games in consecutive years but lost the division and the in-state rivalry game both years. Our most prolific QB of all time never beat the shamecocks. Beating the dregs of the ACC was never a given under West or Bowden so that's an improvement, but this continual building of expectations followed by public floggings is painful to follow.

I think this goes back to recruiting on the lines and/or the S&C program. We simply aren't bigger, stronger, or tougher than the real teams and it prevents our edge weapons from dominating like we know they could.

Sep 1, 2014, 10:35 AM

You hit the nail on the head. We are not built to slug it out with a physical team. Hopefully the class of 2015 will help in that regard.

any update on the "new wrinkle"? i think it was malzahn's

Sep 1, 2014, 7:32 AM

"quick snap/change of pace", but maybe there was something else they were referencing?

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=15722546

The common denominator in those nine losses

Sep 1, 2014, 7:32 AM

is Dabo. Ask him about the Jekyll and Hyde nature of our team that manifested itself in those games. He said he would get it fixed after West Virginia. So what is the "it" that needs to be fixed?

Go Tigers

Jekyll and Hyde is losing to Duke and Wake Forest, not Top

Sep 1, 2014, 8:21 AM

10 teams.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

agree scott, but there's something not right about that

Sep 1, 2014, 8:27 AM

2nd half or similar losses to good teams as dhood mentions.

nothing wrong with losing & you might actually play better in some losses than in some victories based on opponent, but there is nothing "right" about that 2nd half the other night and we've seen it before.

Jekyll and Hyde also applies to

Sep 1, 2014, 8:34 AM [ in reply to Jekyll and Hyde is losing to Duke and Wake Forest, not Top ]

those nine loses. Go back and watch them again.

the tale of 2 halves...

Sep 1, 2014, 8:41 AM

1st half: ~ 54 plays, 276 yards, 14 1st downs and 21 points[should have been more]

2nd half: ~ 22 plays, 15 yards, 1 first down and zero points

Re: Jekyll and Hyde is losing to Duke and Wake Forest, not Top

Sep 1, 2014, 12:54 PM [ in reply to Jekyll and Hyde is losing to Duke and Wake Forest, not Top ]

No shame in loosing to top 10 teams,but getting whipped time and time again on national tv,yes there is a problem somewhere that needs to be fixed

Re: Jekyll and Hyde is losing to Duke and Wake Forest, not Top

Sep 1, 2014, 12:55 PM [ in reply to Jekyll and Hyde is losing to Duke and Wake Forest, not Top ]

No shame in loosing to top 10 teams,but getting whipped time and time again on national tv,yes there is a problem somewhere that needs to be fixed

I disagree. We go toe to toe with Ohio State, Georgia, LSU

Sep 2, 2014, 2:40 PM [ in reply to Jekyll and Hyde is losing to Duke and Wake Forest, not Top ]

but can't with USuC and FSU.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: The common denominator in those nine losses

Sep 1, 2014, 9:08 AM [ in reply to The common denominator in those nine losses ]

Want to know another common denominator?
Batson

And he works for Dabo

Sep 1, 2014, 9:26 AM

Sep 1, 2014, 1:45 PM [ in reply to Re: The common denominator in those nine losses ]

Be careful. You are treading on sacred ground. Our strength is outstanding. Just ask Dabo.

Was Batson on leave against GA last year or

Sep 1, 2014, 4:06 PM [ in reply to Re: The common denominator in those nine losses ]

Oh. St. or LSU a couple of years ago. Nothing wrong with S&C but good try.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 1, 2014, 11:01 AM [ in reply to The common denominator in those nine losses ]

There are two common denominators. One is we do not make adjustments at the half. We show everything that we can do in the first half and leave no surprises for the second half. If we are leading or close, we have a false sense of security. Second is mental and emotional. Several of these big games that have been played at home - you could read the players and coaches faces as they walked Tiger Walk. Last year against Georgia, they laughed and joked with crowd. Last year against FSU and the year before against Carolina, they all looked horrible-few smiles and a lot less interaction with the fans. I understand being nervous but it was almost like they felt they were already beat. Jimbo Fisher said before the National Champ game that FSU's biggest challenge was keeping the team busy and occupied the week leading up to the game to prevent emotions from getting out of control. Our guys and coaches want to prove themselves so badly that I think it eats at them. Need to find a way to manage the pressure that comes with big games.

Sep 1, 2014, 11:56 AM [ in reply to The common denominator in those nine losses ]

AS long as Swinney is at Clemson this will continue,and he will be here for a long time because our administration made sure of that with the 24 million dollar buyout!

Hope Swinney retires at Clemson which will mean that

Sep 1, 2014, 4:07 PM

we have been highly successful.

Sep 1, 2014, 11:57 AM [ in reply to The common denominator in those nine losses ]

AS long as Swinney is at Clemson this will continue,and he will be here for a long time because our administration made sure of that with the 24 million dollar buyout!

Sep 1, 2014, 12:21 PM [ in reply to The common denominator in those nine losses ]

Special Teams and they have not been fixed. Cat was a good kicker last year, but there is much more to special teams than having a good kicker. Special teams are always a reflection of the coaching.

You tell em coot***

Sep 1, 2014, 2:13 PM [ in reply to The common denominator in those nine losses ]

You saw exactly what everybody else saw, and it is

Sep 1, 2014, 7:46 AM

indeed a mystery.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: You saw exactly what everybody else saw, and it is

Sep 1, 2014, 1:50 PM

A mediocre, undersized OL isn't too much of a mystery to me.

Re: You saw exactly what everybody else saw, and it is

Sep 1, 2014, 4:28 PM

I don't know if I agree with the "undersized" aspect of your description of our OL, but the mediocre evaluation is highly accurate.

Forgot 'thin.'

Sep 1, 2014, 4:30 PM [ in reply to Re: You saw exactly what everybody else saw, and it is ]

With pretty much zero OL depth, we won't be winning ANY close games this year. Our guys get tired, too.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 1, 2014, 7:55 AM

I can identify one constant in the big losses, Chad Morris' s scheme. He is a great coordinator but honestly at times it likes he has the mentality of a teenage girl. If the run ain't working then give it up and don't force it. It's like he decides that's what he wants do and he's going to do it just because.

I hated the comments he made about being stuck inside our own 20. It wasn't just about being stuck. We were stuck because there was never a play called worth more than 4 yards. Sorry to say it but Humphries is not the guy to run screen patterns with, especially not two times in a row.

Also, I say let Gallman, Choice, and Davis have the carries. They are the best ones, screw all this seniority stuff. If you want to play then be better than than the other guys at the position.

Sep 1, 2014, 8:16 AM

COULDNT AGREE MORE!!! First of all don't tell us about all our goodies and then give us none to eat. We heard Dabo all week say about some of our veterans "they've earned the right " okay earned the right because of the time they've been at CU or earned because they're the better player??? One huge part of our recruiting has been boasting come to CU and play early...well???

Second, Chad Morris, I don't know where to start...do I think the guy is good, yes. Has he helped us, yes. BUT, NEVER HAD A PLAN B OR C etc... it's a lil narcissistic, and yes that whole comment about being stuck inside the 20 was just plain STUPID! Is that how other teams play " well stuck inside the 20 oh well...." Go Tigers.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 1, 2014, 1:17 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Final thoughts on the Georgia game ]

If our recievers would catch the ball maybe we would have been able to throw more, Mike Williams had hands of stone Saturday!

Sep 1, 2014, 8:02 AM

Yes the defense has had some bad games but on the flip side when the offense stalls it seems it stalls in large chunks under Morris and when the defense has to take the field after the offense goes 3 and out in 1:30 every time they take the field you can only expect what we saw Saturday night. Its worse when Georgia has five 5 star backs they constantly throw at you. To me the difference was the long ball, we seen in the first half when the Tigers went long that Georgia struggled stopping the offense and it opened up what little running game we did have. In the second half, and yes I know we struggled getting started past our own 15, all it seemed we did was play offense at the line of scrimmage playing right into the hands of Pruitt. Even if we didn't complete a long pass just the thought of it might have kept Georgia honest not to mention the lack of talent and experience Georgia had back there along with just maybe getting a pass interference but Clemson never tried until it was 3rd and long when everyone in the stadium and at home knew that Georgia was going to bring the heat and not let Stoudt or Watson sit back there and pick them apart. Georgia made Clemson predictable and that has been the downfall of Chad Morris' offense at times. It seemed there were no hot reads or routes for either QB to throw to during the blitz in the second half. To me it seemed that Georgia made adjustments and Clemson kept the same plan at half but what makes great coaches is the game in the game being able to make adjustments on the fly in the 4th when Georgia starts playing everything close to the line of scrimmage and the Clemson coaches failed to come up with something to just get the ball down field just once long enough to keep the defense from going right back on the field. I will give Georgia credit though I didn't think their o-line could handle our d-line and they did that and more only giving up one sack and blocking the heck out of Clemson's defense during running plays. I don't think with the way the defense played that they have ever saw a jet sweep right their entire lives because they sure as heck can't stop it. Look did Clemson take a step back in the media's eyes, absolutely but Clemson is still the second most talented team in the ACC and they still have a lot to play for. Look at Georgia the past 3 or 4 years they have been dominated by South Carolina and have lost a game or 2 and has still been it at the end. We don't know how this thing is going to turn out for other teams in the country, heck FSU looked very beatable in their first game and thats all it was is the first game so all the doom and gloom people calm down all is not lost and thats what one of the downfalls of playing big time games the very first game. Everything that I saw is correctable Clemson showed they could play 3 and a half quarters with the Bulldogs it just so happened that they wore Clemson down. Clemson will be fine, they will regroup and hopefully put some dadgum hot reads in over the next 2 weeks and get ready for FSU. There is to much pride inside and outside this program for us fans to hang our heads in defeat it wasn't like we played like the Gamecocks and out classed from the beginning, we knew there might be some growing pains starting a new QB and there was for a half. Its better to lose now than later, we have time to get this thing back on track so lets show everyone why we Clemson fans are the best in the country support our guys and lets get this thing headed back our way...... Go TIGERS!!!!!!

Sep 1, 2014, 8:29 AM

You preached exactly what I have Bern saying since the third quarter started on Saturday... Where does Morris hide in these big games because his offensive play calling us clearly different!? I am not sure why he couldn't see live what he was doing to the defense; there was no way that any defense in America could continue to holdup an entire half to a top notch run game filled with 5 start backs when you constantly throw them back out their after gaining one first down for an entire quarter while only giving up 3 points... The defense did good to with stand that on a hot night on the road. Morris had to be aware of the moment realize that you were not going to get a first down with those conservative plays when a defense is running down hills and stacking the box... He had to use quicker routes and the size and speed of our TEs and WRs in the middle of the field and over top on the edge or you live with the results of a thrashing to your tired worn down defense in the fourth quarter. And Dabo must be tougher on Morris during the game, do you think Spurrier or Saban would sit there and watch their offense point that many times without something changing when you have that much talent on your sideline... Absolutely not! Frustrating after hearing all of this progress from Summer camp only to watch Morris hogtie the offense the second half, which led to our embarrassment on national TV.

It appears we 'get lucky' when we beat a good team...

Sep 1, 2014, 8:19 AM

but that MOST of them time, they pimp slap us.

I think this article in of u t best articles David***

Sep 1, 2014, 8:21 AM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson Is Coming" says Stephone Anthony (Class 2011)"
"Why NOT Clemson"
"Why Not Dabo"

Just saying.....

Sep 1, 2014, 7:21 AM

As I thought about the game 2 days later, ya have to think, "what if"...

What if Clemson would have been even more committed to stopping the run? Load the box- it wasn't like Ga's QB was beating us. It was like two players for Georgia, both RBs

hmm..
sad.

Re: Just saying.....

Sep 1, 2014, 8:34 AM

Our ridiculous conservatism on offense started the backslide Saturday. Can't believe Morris choked like that. The field position excuse is horse **** !!!! When u have a weak running game u have to keep slinging it and let your receivers make plays or perhaps get an interference call here or there. Our strength is our wideouts and pass catching tight ends, pretty much their only weakness is the secondary! ! Doesn't take a genius to figure out where u have to attack!! Or just do as Morris did and run , run, short pass and
punt!!! It was hard to watch and realize this guy is supposed to be some sort of offensive genius. That's laughable! !!

Re: Just saying.....

Sep 1, 2014, 8:48 AM

Ok Coach, go get em!

They torched us on perimeter w/ toss-sweep. Same as last yr.***

Sep 1, 2014, 12:34 PM [ in reply to Just saying..... ]

Sep 1, 2014, 8:40 AM

We have two of the highest paid coordinators in college football. Where were the second half adjustments form the coordinators that would have kept the game competitive? Both are mentioned as head coach candidates. Really? Poor coaching on offense and defense.

Sep 1, 2014, 9:06 AM

It still baffles me. It was obvious early on that we didn't have a real run threat. But that is what we did. And kept doing.

Watson lit up their secondary and scored a TD.

So what did we do from that point?

Three yards and a cloud of dust.

Sep 1, 2014, 9:08 AM

It seemed like in the second half we just played too conservative. Our defense has a hard time stopping a tier one team still. We played the first half and tried to hold on the second half.

Very True Stats BUT

Sep 1, 2014, 9:09 AM

I also remember the Bowden era when we would lose every game by 3 points, mostly b/c we didn't have a field goal kicker. (remember that span of 6 GT games decided by 3 points) Talk about painful! I am not sure which way is worse, I think a lose is a lose. I think that Chad changes his play calling when something is working fine. I think he tries to play conservative at times when we should be aggressive.

"At some point, the wheels have to stop coming off."

Sep 1, 2014, 9:11 AM

We have reached a level where we consistently have a winning season and go to a bowl game.

That is enough for some.

But David Hood nails it, in that we don't have respect from the big boys. More often than not, we fold, and we fold in a big way.

Danny Ford said it best. He wanted other teams to "hate playing Clemson."

Now everybody go thumbs down Hood

Sep 1, 2014, 9:14 AM

For saying the freshman should play and that Choice needs to get involved. He's the only true running back on the roster besides Dye

2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

excellent read Mr. Hood

Sep 1, 2014, 9:16 AM

I agree 100%. Most of us have never viewed this year as rebuild year, but more if a reload. I am aware that we have inexperience in some areas, but this highly recruited guy need to play. i feel like so many of this guys can make noticeable contribution. we'll get it right. I believe in this staff...... I really do. GO TIGERS!!!

Re: excellent read Mr. Hood

Sep 1, 2014, 2:05 PM

I just don't see how we build an OL at this point. To an extent, this game was lost in the off-season.

Sep 1, 2014, 9:41 AM

Great article ! The true hurts - must be bold and take chances to get to the next level.

very good commentary***

Sep 1, 2014, 9:41 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GoTiguhs!!

Sep 1, 2014, 9:48 AM

I had visions of a stifling defense but it never really materialized. They held Georgia for the most part until the 4th quarter but never seemed to dominate by any means. I never heard Vic Beasley's name called all night. I felt Cole did an ok job but dropped passes did not help his cause. I thought bringing in Deshaun again might have given them a spark but coaches waiting too long for that. OL that could not protect and the pooch punts just killed us. I would rather see us schedule a gimme first game than the cream of the SEC. I think a warm up game would have made a world of difference to work out the nervous jitters.

Sep 1, 2014, 10:54 AM

D. Watson ran a series late 3rd or early 4th got sacked 3 times.

Sep 1, 2014, 2:16 PM

By then, our OL line had gone from D+ to F.

Sep 1, 2014, 2:13 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Final thoughts on the Georgia game ]

Excellent points. Vic Beasley (like Battle and Gore) is at least 30 pounds lighter than his effective playing weight. Therefore he can't stop the run. Any smart OC is going to know this and run right at him. How do the coaches not see this stuff, and do something about it while there's still time?

Sep 1, 2014, 9:48 AM

Time to take the training wheels off the Freshman. Unfortunately, we had a legit chance to win Sat night, but Morris panicked. At 24-21, we abandoned the run, play book. Mike Williams, TEs and Peake should have been more involved. Also, our Frosh receivers need to see more of the field, period. Our O line will improve...

Sep 1, 2014, 10:08 AM

I feel that this year there is no D problem I was proud of our D, and I'm confident in our Secondary in a long time.
This is a Chad Morris problem, Dabo needs to be tougher on him. Let the guys that we've been hearing about through this camp play PERIOD!

GALLAMAN-Violent runner
CHOICE-Best all-around back
LEGGETT-Match up nightmare
WATSON-Read the defense changed the play and made a NLFish TD
Peak-Fastest guy on the team

And finally SOMEONE WHO CAN RETURN PUNTS FOR SOME KIND OF YARDAGE!!!!

Special Teams....who even has the time.

Sep 1, 2014, 10:28 AM

Same reason Dabo stuck with Boyd even when it was obvious in games that Boyd was out of it mentally. Dabo feels he needs to be loyal to players who have waited their turn.

Sep 1, 2014, 2:23 PM

That kind of politics is a prescription for defeat. A prime example: If DJ Howard is a Div-1 caliber RB, then I can fly. Just tried flapping my arms---no deal.

Sep 1, 2014, 10:45 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Final thoughts on the Georgia game ]

I think Dabo & Chad are so scared of turnovers that they will not give younguns a chance.

You are sooooo right.

Sep 1, 2014, 10:57 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Final thoughts on the Georgia game ]

Let's get these guys in the game and use them as weapons (especially the tight ends). I think the talent is there but the Chad needs a better response to the adjustments that will inevitably be made. I'm surprised Chad had nothing creative to throw at Jeremy Pruitt in the second half. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised, this isn't the first time we've seen how hard-headed Morris can be. I think Morris is a great OC but Dabo needs to get on his a$$ when we have a second half like that.

COOT!!! COOT!!! YOU'RE A COOT!!! GET OFF THE BOARD COOT!!!

Sep 1, 2014, 9:59 AM

Oh wait, I'm sorry. Your a sports writer for the Clemson Tigers.

Good read and good to know us "lesser informed" people aren't on an island.

"Excuse me? I don't go down to your work and tell you how to flip the burger!"

Sep 1, 2014, 10:08 AM

Good article. The way to stop an over aggressive rush by the DL and 1 or 2 LB's is pretty nasic: Quick slants to the slot man or TE, passes over the middle to the TE, screen passes,QB draws, etc.
I do not care if these plays are not in Morris' offense. If not, why not? ?What does he have to stop and punish a charging defense. Even quick down and outs could have been done. Some people said we didn't have time to throw deep and they are correct but we did have time to execute the above plays.
Morris needs to stop being so bull headed in his play calling and fix this problem immediately because it I was a defensive coordinator that is exactly what I would do to the Tigers!

Sep 1, 2014, 7:23 PM

From what we all saw the defensive coordinator plan was easy at the half:
Stop the bubble screen...done
Pressure the QB after that play is shut down...done
pound the ball and keep the defense on the field and wear them down...done
We make no adjustments as all of this happened...none
We should have won that game with just a few adjustments on the fly...none came.

You forgot Oct. 29 2011 Georgia Tech 31 Clemson 17

Sep 1, 2014, 10:12 AM

when we were undefeated and ranked 6th.

Sep 1, 2014, 10:18 AM

This is a very good analysis and shows what the negative side of a HUNH offense if you can't take control of the line of scrimmage. It doesn't matter if you run 65 or 90 plays if you can't establish a solid rushing attack. The ability to score quick is only as good as your depth at OL and power backs against equal teams.

The difference is coaching

Sep 1, 2014, 10:25 AM

In almost everyone of those games we were still in good shape at halftime. The other coaches made adjustments and pulled away. We never make the adjustments needed vs top teams/coaches. Flame away but face the truth. Dabo can't get it done

Re: The difference is coaching

Sep 1, 2014, 2:27 PM

I can't argue with you.

In almost everyone of those games we were still in good shape at halftime. The other coaches made adjustments and pulled away. We never make the adjustments needed vs top teams/coaches. Flame away but face the truth. Dabo can't get it done

Sep 1, 2014, 10:29 AM

You can say that again and again...

Sep 1, 2014, 10:34 AM [ in reply to The difference is coaching ]

How about coaching tackling?First team meeting after game should single out every missed tackle! Among the worst I have ever seen.

Sep 1, 2014, 5:42 PM [ in reply to The difference is coaching ]

Issues Sat: Outcoached on all 3 phases; players not in shape; poor tackling; coordinators did not react to Ga. Adjustments. Dabo was right- Ga should have won by 37.

Sep 1, 2014, 10:44 AM

I totally agree about our younger players. Our coaches keep talented players on the sideline because they lack experience. We need to play them. Georgia using these players is only one of example of an SEC team using their youth, something that our coaches need to fall in line with. I believe this is also hurting our recruiting. The recruits are watching and noticing that Clemson may not play them no matter how hard they work.

Sep 1, 2014, 11:06 AM

If there was a freshman or sophmore defensive player on the sideline in the 4th quarter that could run and tackle and provide some energy, he needed to be on the field...period. The guys that were out there were totally spent and Gurly and the GA coaches knew it. Shameful that our coaches cannot see when our guys run out of gas as quickly as the opposing team does. Lack of quality depth on defense certainly rears its head in the 4th qtr of most of these lopsided games noted in the article. BTW...I really like that defensive line play that we see way too often where the DE's and DT's rush up the field to the outside and leave a 20 yd gap up the middle for the opposing QB to walk for a first down. Also, we may want to shelf that play where the QB follows the RB into the non-existent hole. GA, SC, and others are feasting on us using those short quick passes where the LB's were and we should try more of these as they seem to work flawlessly for the opposition. Well, that's all my venting for this game and I appreciate your shared pain in reading it.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 1, 2014, 10:48 AM

After watching film, it should be absolutely oblivious that in the second half, we were out played and out coached. I believe even if Gurley was not in the mix, same result. Offensive play calling lacked credibility. To conservative. Throw to tight ends across the middle, and all out blitz stops. Use running backs by committee to keep them guessing and maybe help open up pass. Put Peake back there to return punts and kicks. At least make an attempt to change scheme to get opponent guessing.

Sep 1, 2014, 10:51 AM

we were beaten by Todd G....that's all. He is going to run over a few NFL players as well.

Sep 1, 2014, 10:53 AM

Great article!

Yes, I agree. Great article***

Sep 1, 2014, 11:08 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This article is classless and worthless.

Sep 1, 2014, 11:15 AM

I would think would be able to do better than research a few scores and stats and spout off about how you are disappointed. A 6th grader could have written this article. I would think you could do better.

Re: This article is classless and worthless.

Sep 1, 2014, 11:52 AM

How is this classless? He took the facts and explained why some fans are disappointed with the program over the last 3 to 4 years. Yes, wins against Ohio St and LSU are great but you don't game notoriety with bowl games. You do it by being consistently great in the regular season. IF you do lose, you fight to end and not consistently have double digit losses.

Sep 1, 2014, 2:33 PM

You are absolutely right on.

Sep 2, 2014, 3:56 PM [ in reply to Re: This article is classless and worthless. ]

So what is your point and his point? You and the gentleman that wrote the article need to give the coaches and current players a little more credit.

I'll be the first to say the Morris can be stubborn in his play calling

Sep 1, 2014, 11:54 AM [ in reply to This article is classless and worthless. ]

He either hasn't entirely learned how to make proper adjustments at this level, or just won't make any. Whatever the reason, I am not sure that's what cost Clemson Saturday. When you can't block up front any better than what I saw Saturday, you aren't going to beat very many good teams. It was atrocious in the second half. I was also wondering why we hadn't used Leggett but I'm not sure anything was going to work in the second half. Pruitt saw our glaring weakness up front, made an adjustment and it was spot on. Hopefully we get Crowder on the field early and often vs State and have both him and Beasley available vs FSU. I don't worry about our defense. Well not as long as they aren't going to be left on the field for an entire half.

Re: I'll be the first to say the Morris can be stubborn in his play calling

Sep 1, 2014, 12:26 PM

You are spot on. Big offensive linemen win games and Clemson has NOT had that quality OL in a loooong time. Maybe the new recruits will be what we need.

They will be, but you have to sign OL talent every year.

Sep 1, 2014, 12:55 PM

You can't sign 4 or 5 one year and two the next year when you miss on far too many or lose them to injury.

Re: I'll be the first to say the Morris can be stubborn in his play calling

Sep 1, 2014, 2:35 PM [ in reply to I'll be the first to say the Morris can be stubborn in his play calling ]

You're are spot on as far as I'm concerned. Our OL is terrible.

The only thing classless is your response...

Sep 1, 2014, 12:23 PM [ in reply to This article is classless and worthless. ]

Nothing wrong with Hood stating the obvious...

Re: The only thing classless is your response...

Sep 2, 2014, 3:53 PM

Hello Pot. His article serves no purpose for the 2014 football team.

Sep 1, 2014, 12:34 PM

Simply out-coached on both sides of the ball.

One step at a time, Davie.

Sep 1, 2014, 12:47 PM

At least we got rid of the 'clemsoning,' thing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: One step at a time, Davie.

Sep 1, 2014, 2:38 PM

I take it you are joking.

David- Thanx for risking yer press access 4 honest critique!

Sep 1, 2014, 12:48 PM

Over the years, this is one of the very few times that I've seen any article on TigerNet that was less than sunshiny. It's great to read some honest critique instead of the same old AD-PR propaganda.

COOT! :)

Lack of depth often causes late-game blowouts.

Sep 1, 2014, 1:11 PM

That doesn't necessarily explain some of Dabo's blowouts, like the Orange-Bowl record-setting loss to WVU last year's Death Valley-record-setting loss to FSU. But I think it's a factor.

On the OL, Dabo has consistently failed to bring in the quantity and quality of recruits needed to make up for attrition and evaluation misses. We NEVER have a dominating OL, and we're always 1-injury away from disaster.

Dabo also always insists on wasting some of his scholarships on guys that should not get offered.

And Dabo seems to do little roster management to encourage the dead wood to move on to other schools to get playing time so that more talented/motivated players can actually contribute.

The difference between the good teams and the great teams is often depth. And that tends to show itself late in games. Often you'll see clearly inferior teams hang around for 2-3 quarters before getting soundly beat. (E.g. Navy-Ohio State last weekend.)

Re: Lack of depth often causes late-game blowouts.

Sep 1, 2014, 2:40 PM

Excellent points.

Sadly, UGA could have scored 3-7 more pts in closing minute.***

Sep 1, 2014, 1:25 PM

FSU isn't a rivalry game***

Sep 1, 2014, 2:10 PM

Should just change your name to Skyisfalling Hood...

Sep 1, 2014, 2:11 PM

Had the same sort of freakout over the FSU loss last year, yet we still went on to win the Orange Bowl.

Re: Should just change your name to Skyisfalling Hood...

Sep 1, 2014, 2:40 PM

Maybe Mr. Hood is noticing a pattern.

Re: Should just change your name to Skyisfalling Hood...

Sep 1, 2014, 2:43 PM

Like a lot of us. Another humiliation on national TV.

Just a pattern on his part to freakout over every single...

Sep 1, 2014, 2:44 PM [ in reply to Re: Should just change your name to Skyisfalling Hood... ]

loss, and to ignore the regular season wins we have had over good teams. You're delusional if you think we are going to win every single game. The only pattern that is going on, is Clemson football has improved vastly, and is continuing to improve.

Re: Just a pattern on his part to freakout over every single...

Sep 1, 2014, 4:17 PM

Sorry Tigerking, you need to take your head out of the hole in the ground and realize that while everyone enjoys the wins, the losses are too staggering to ignore. These are NOT normal losses.

A very fair, truthful, & factual assessment It may be scary

Sep 1, 2014, 3:11 PM

for you, but you think exactly like me most of the time. That being said, good luck!

Personally, I find is Blog disturbing...

Sep 1, 2014, 4:22 PM

Even if its the truth, i find the whole thing offensive. Every team goes through those moments of inequity. Who would you rather be Clemson of the last 3yrs of Florida.
You based everything on negativity and I dont understand his article. Coach Morris stated either your with us or against us. This particular blog is cause for Mutiny.

We used to work the middle of the field more when we had

Sep 1, 2014, 6:03 PM

Dwayne Allen and Jaron Brown. Recently though it seems we rarely even try to work the ball in there. Definitely does seem to me like that would help keep the LBs honest.

Sep 1, 2014, 6:36 PM

..Got to say it David, This article was spot on in every facet! I am a Tiger through & through, and that's why I want THESE exact things that you outlined to BE FIXED! SOONER than later! WHATEVER it is, Dabo IS responsible for DOING IT!...NOW!!!

Sep 2, 2014, 2:30 PM

Great article. But it's too soon to hit the panic button. We weren't going to be undefeated this year and I'd rather lose the first game and get stronger from it than lose late in the season from not understanding our deficiencies.

This loss to me came down to play calling, conditioning, and a lack of mental toughness. You can improve all 3 areas in 3 weeks to get ready for FSU. I still see this team as 10-2 and possibly 11-1. We've done pretty well following the embarrassing losses that Hood points out. I'm sure the coaches and players did not enjoy this past week and will correct it accordingly.

Sep 2, 2014, 8:36 PM

In fact, I remember being so upset about close losses that I checked the stats. From 2008-2010 Clemson was 4-13 in games decided by less than a score (8 points or less). During that time Clemson lost 17 games. From 2011-2013, Clemson has been 7-0 in games decided by less than a score. Last week, one of my friends commented that he only hoped for a close game. And I actually replied that if it was close, Tigers win!
I had not realized the stats that were pointed out in the article, and I am concerned about games that seem to get away from Clemson. But I am glad the frustration of repeated close losses is history. And I am pulling for the coaches to get this problem fixed too.
Go Tigers!

Replies: 113
| visibility 51
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic