Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Herbstreit doesn't like Stoudt's or Clemson's chances at Georgia
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 104
| visibility 1

New Story: Herbstreit doesn't like Stoudt's or Clemson's chances at Georgia

Aug 20, 2014, 8:08 AM

Herbstreit doesn't like Stoudt's or Clemson's chances at Georgia

ESPN college football analyst Kirk Herbstreit thinks that Georgia’s environment and a defense helmed by former FSU defensive coordinator Jeremy Pruitt will be too much for Clemson quarterback Cole Stoudt when Clemson and Georgia meet in the season opener in Sanford Stadium on August 30th. Photo by Dale O. Watson / US PRESSWIRE Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Young Quarterback?

Aug 20, 2014, 8:09 AM

What the Furbstreit?

Re: Young Quarterback?

Aug 20, 2014, 8:17 AM

Now that was funny! And their's isn't?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 20, 2014, 10:04 AM

> Now that was funny! And their's isn't?

5th year senior?

Aug 20, 2014, 10:44 AM

Ours, too, is no spring chicken. He is a Senior and has played a lot of downs, though as a backup, just like yours did until he was forced into action due to Murray's injury. Herbie will always favor secheat or his own guys, though, but he usually misses the mark when he picks against us. That is, however, why the games are played on the field.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 20, 2014, 10:07 AM [ in reply to Young Quarterback? ]

Yea that's inaccurate...probably should have said "inexperienced", seeing as he has 0 career starts.

Aug 20, 2014, 10:09 AM

> Yea that's inaccurate...probably should have said
> "inexperienced", seeing as he has 0 career starts.

Yeah, neither one is young but both are making their first important start. Should be a good one.

Aug 20, 2014, 1:13 PM

On that we do agree.

Aug 20, 2014, 1:34 PM [ in reply to Young Quarterback? ]

I think he means "young" in terms of experience against the kind of top-notch opposition he'll face in Athens. Dabo and staff face a huge challenge in getting Stoudt and the team ready for This game. WE haven't had an RB step up, and I sense a very uneasy feeling about our OL.

GOOD!

Aug 20, 2014, 8:14 AM

The more disbelief, the better our chances.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Well, then we just need to be scared and quit.

Aug 20, 2014, 8:16 AM

They never like the chances of anybody against one from "their" chosen league. They pretty much didn't give us a chance last year either, and they didn't give is a prayer of beating LSU either. We should match up very well against ugay again this year. It should be a war, but a winnable one for us.

Re: Well, then we just need to be scared and quit.

Aug 20, 2014, 10:13 AM

You can say this sort of thing about a lot of people at ESPN, but let's calm down a little bit here guys. Herbstreit is arguably the most objective college football analyst in the nation. He always says what he truly believes.

The fact that people are picking us to lose against Georgia shouldn't be a huge surprise to people...obviously we're hoping for a different result but the fact is the Dawgs are going to be a good team. People here have been making straight up idiotic statements like we're going to run them off the field in two weeks, and are now acting as if this is some wild SEC homerism by ESPN for picking Georgia to win the game. It's not.

RA'd for calling me 'idiotic'... Clemson by 8+...***

Aug 20, 2014, 10:23 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: RA'd for calling me 'idiotic'... Clemson by 8+...***

Aug 20, 2014, 10:38 AM

Someone below was pointing out that Pruitt's success last year was not so much his own schemes but the fact that he inherited an already uber-talented defense that was high-ranked the year before. UGA is a completely different scenario. He has NO talent in the secondary, opposed to at FSU, where he had 3 players who could have been picked in the first 4 rounds last year. The only thing we need to worry about is the front seven. However, that is not Pruitt's area of expertise and it should take more than the first game for them to really get going. If our O-line is as deep as every says it is and we can give Cole time in the pocket, we should be able to pick apart UGA.

Aug 20, 2014, 12:21 PM

He's right in that Pruitt does specialize in confusing offenses. So, we might win, but don't be surprised when we're 3-and-outing that crap for the first 1-2 quarters.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.

Aug 20, 2014, 12:28 PM

The facts are these. Georgia has a new DCo , he is a good one but he is no miracle worker, he has a lot of replacement parts on that defense due to attrition and ....stuff. Our offense has a new QB , some unproven RBs and a couple unproven WRs. That is where the battle is . How does our unproven fare against the Dawgs unproven? This game will be a 6-8 pt game either way.
I lile Clemson because I think our D is gonna give them fits and may just lock them down . We shall all see in just 10 short days ??

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Aug 20, 2014, 1:17 PM

So right! This should be a war, as last year was, although it was really not as close as the score would have you to believe. I think both teams have great talent, some experienced and some not. If defense wins championships, I like our chances, even with their new DC. We have the horses to get it done, but time will tell. Spot the ball and let's see!

UGA was 66th in 3rd down conversion defense in

Aug 20, 2014, 12:45 PM [ in reply to Re: RA'd for calling me 'idiotic'... Clemson by 8+...*** ]

2013, so that would be quite a turnaround. Not to say it couldn't be done, but I think we will move the ball.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 20, 2014, 1:40 PM [ in reply to Re: RA'd for calling me 'idiotic'... Clemson by 8+...*** ]

I haven't heard the part about our OL being deep.

Aug 20, 2014, 11:03 AM [ in reply to RA'd for calling me 'idiotic'... Clemson by 8+...*** ]

When did I call you idiotic?

Clemson by 8+ isn't the stuff I was referring to. The "idiotic" statements I was referring to were posts I saw a few weeks ago where people were saying they expect us to win by 21+ or 28+. Is there a chance we win by that? Sure. However, given what both teams have it's ridiculous to truly believe that's what will happen going into the game.

Aug 20, 2014, 10:47 AM [ in reply to Re: Well, then we just need to be scared and quit. ]

They are a good team, or they should be. They always should be, but they aren't always. They thought the same thing last year, too, but how did that work out? I have said repeatedly that the game will be a war. It usually is, but we are perfectly capable of winning the game.

Aug 18, 2024, 1:01 PM

Oh no doubt about it...I think we have a great chance to win the game. In fact, I'd say if we show up and play to our potential, we will win the game.

My gripe was more about suggesting Herbstreit is some SEC homer. He's as objective as they come. ESPN & college football media as a whole would be a lot better if there were more Herbies out there.

Aug 20, 2014, 12:42 PM

If anything, Herby is the one that favors Clemson. Let's be honest. This game is a toss up and UGA has home field advantage. So, I would pick them too, but I would not be surprised to see us lay waste to them. We just don't know.

Aug 20, 2014, 1:21 PM

That's why we play the games. Spot it! Let's find out who is or isn't ready.

Aug 20, 2014, 1:20 PM [ in reply to Re: Well, then we just need to be scared and quit. ]

I don't disagree with almost all of your post, but even Herbie buys into the hype sometimes. I do like him much better than most of the rest, though.

Aug 20, 2014, 1:46 PM

I guess we just see it different ways. I don't mind some of the SEC pumping, as much of it is deserved. Many--particularly those with CBS & ESPN--go way too far with it, but Herbie isn't one of those guys IMO.

Aug 20, 2014, 2:07 PM

Fair enough.

Aug 20, 2014, 1:37 PM [ in reply to Re: Well, then we just need to be scared and quit. ]

Very well put.

Re: New Story: Herbstreit doesn't like Stoudt's or Clemson's chances at Georgia

Aug 20, 2014, 8:18 AM

Oh yeah, the atmosphere will be tough until Cole starts picking apart that garbage secondary.

I think the defense will carry our offense plus

Aug 20, 2014, 8:21 AM

I think our qb will far exceed expectations .. Tigers win

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson Is Coming" says Stephone Anthony (Class 2011)"
"Why NOT Clemson"
"Why Not Dabo"

He has a way of "keeping things simple" for his defense

Aug 20, 2014, 8:23 AM

and he will confuse our offense with a defense that is "complicated and multiple."

Which is it, Kirk?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Shame on Herby......

Aug 20, 2014, 8:24 AM

He's giving Pruitt far to much credit as a DC....and.....and....Georgia doesn't have FSU's talent!

Re: Shame on Herby......

Aug 20, 2014, 8:29 AM

> He's giving Pruitt far to much credit as a
> DC....and.....and....Georgia doesn't have FSU's
> talent!

I'm glad you're finally on the Clemson bandwagon. You won't regret switching your allegiance.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Aug 20, 2014, 8:30 AM

Supermutt, go run out in front of a car

supermutt, are you going to once again grace us with

Aug 20, 2014, 8:30 AM [ in reply to Shame on Herby...... ]

your lack of football knowledge?

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=15669156

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Aug 20, 2014, 10:46 AM [ in reply to Shame on Herby...... ]

All I can say is I look forward to a second year we don't see you eating crow because yo uare a coward. Look forward to at least hearing some adult talk from bakwooddeerhunter and the rest who have a set of coconuts.

Aug 20, 2014, 10:47 AM

*you...backwoodsdeerhunter...arggg auto check on the phones

The question is

Aug 20, 2014, 2:39 PM [ in reply to Shame on Herby...... ]

how good are GAs 2nd and 3rd string QBs?

No way the starter completes the 1st half.

It's all part of the ESPN/SEC Network anti-Clemson agenda

Aug 20, 2014, 8:26 AM

Can't pick us to win anything, they don't give us credit when we win, and they pile it on when we lose. What a bunch of BS.

;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

^^^^Watches too much Fox News.....^^^^^^***

Aug 20, 2014, 8:45 AM

What he said isn't really a stretch...

...I mean, what did he say that was off base?

Stoudt does have limited experience
We are on the road in a tough environment
It is Stoudt's firs start
They do have a DC who has been a part of 3 NCs in a row
We do have young skill position players

He didn't say we have no shot or Ga will hammer us....good grief some of you guys are skeered.

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

Re: What he said isn't really a stretch...

Aug 20, 2014, 8:38 AM

Herbie's still smarting from our beatdown of his alma mater Ohio State-;))

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

... and their great hope for 2014, Braxton.***

Aug 20, 2014, 9:17 AM

Yep. Seems like a straight forward analysis.

Aug 20, 2014, 9:50 AM [ in reply to What he said isn't really a stretch... ]

He will be proven wrong. And I don't doubt he will admit it. He isn't as committed to promoting the SEC or "demoting" the ACC and Clemson as others on his network.

Re: Yep. Seems like a straight forward analysis.

Aug 20, 2014, 10:15 AM

Exactly. Herbie is as objective as they come.

Think those young GA defensive players will

know the system well enough by game time? Maybe .... But doubtful.

Took a few years for our guys to adapt to Venables.

Re: Think those young GA defensive players will

Aug 20, 2014, 1:25 PM

Its the same defense with Grantham and Pruitt...

Grantham's problem that he disguises with the wrong personnel and not playing to the teams strengths.

Pruitt's approach is more simplified and attacking as opposed to the bend but dont break.

Morris has been working on the QB quick release w/reason.

Aug 20, 2014, 1:49 PM

I expect 'loaded' blitzes but that will only work if your guys can cover... We'll see.

Re: Morris has been working on the QB quick release w/reason.

Aug 20, 2014, 2:54 PM

If they can't cover, then the front 7 is going to need to gata real quick.

Aug 20, 2014, 8:29 AM

That does it - I'm sending him a letter about this. Now what number is his address on Herb Street?

Remove the jersey names from our offense...

Aug 20, 2014, 8:34 AM

since we have a bunch of no names according to the media. Let 'em figure it out as the Tigers run past the pups.

I think it's unfair to call Herby and SEC homer.

Aug 20, 2014, 8:44 AM

B1G? Sure, but not an SEC homer. When he calls Cole young, he means experience wise, and that's true. How long was Pruitt at FSU? Only took them one year to grasp his defense. I think many of you are underestimating how tough it's gonna be on a first time starting QB to go between the hedges and pull out a win. Throw in the youth scattered everywhere at ALL the skill positions and I, myself don't like our chances. Our defense should be good enough to keep us in every game, but my gut tells me they get payback on us this year. My heart hopes my gut is wrong, but we shall see

Re: I think it's unfair to call Herby and SEC homer.

Aug 20, 2014, 8:46 AM

Are you crazy, did a bunch of FSU players transfer to UGay....I don't think so! GIGO ....Garbage in Garbage out!!!

Aug 20, 2014, 8:47 AM [ in reply to I think it's unfair to call Herby and SEC homer. ]

Are you crazy, did a bunch of FSU players transfer to UGay....I don't think so! GIGO ....Garbage in Garbage out!!!

Don't be such an Eyore.

Aug 20, 2014, 9:20 AM [ in reply to I think it's unfair to call Herby and SEC homer. ]

When I look at last years games (not just that one) and look at what we have and what they have, I think we're better.
NOt a lot better, but better.

We can't afford turnovers, but I think we're the stronger team.

Aug 20, 2014, 1:51 PM [ in reply to I think it's unfair to call Herby and SEC homer. ]

Hope I'm wrong but I agree with you.

Is this retribution for...

Aug 20, 2014, 8:39 AM

Shuey taking out Braxton Miller? It wasn't intentional!

He also didn't like FSU's chance at a national championship

Aug 20, 2014, 8:39 AM

last year. He picked Ohio State over Alabama...go figure. These guys play the odds and that's fine. Beat Georgia and FSU and everyone in between, and he will pick us to win every game and the NC until we give him a reason to jump on the next bandwagon.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 20, 2014, 8:44 AM

LOL ...hopefully Corso picks against us too!!!

FSU actually dropped from #2 in total defense in

Aug 20, 2014, 8:48 AM

2012 to #3 in 2013, and allowed slightly more yards per play. Pruitt inherited a great defense at FSU. He didn't create it. He has a much bigger challenge in Athens. I will say it again. Tigers win!!!!

Yep, he had blue chippers all over the field at FSU.***

Aug 20, 2014, 8:52 AM

Kirk may be the worst QB in Ohio State history.

Aug 20, 2014, 8:54 AM

To heck with him. I wouldn't like our chances at all if he were our starter going into UGA.

The name of the game is going where you can take credit

Aug 20, 2014, 1:50 PM [ in reply to FSU actually dropped from #2 in total defense in ]

for something. Just like every coaching search is about last season's hot-button coach which just happened to have the Heisman winning QB or what have you. Hopefully, this was the same with Pruitt. Herbie is just looking at the great defenses and national championships, which while great accomplishments, don't tell the whole picture about developing a team and how long that takes. Being at FSU for the first year and being at UGA for the first year are two different things.

Aug 20, 2014, 8:50 AM

Herbie's percentage of picking football winners are pretty much on par with we fans. He's ok but I've never thought of him as the know all that some of the media seems to do.

2 evenly matched teams. Both with old

QB's that have relatively limited playing (or in Mason's case, starting) experience. Having to replace NFL talent in Watkins, Bryant, Brandon Thomas, Breeland, etc. I get it. I think we're going to win, but I don't hate flying under the radar like this. Let them talk. We'll shut them up like last year.

Kirk is normally pretty fair to Clemson so if this is his opinion this time, then so be it. Im not doing to diss him over it because he has given us some love when we deserved it in the past and if we win, he will do so again.

Aug 20, 2014, 8:55 AM

I am so sick of all of the endless analysis by pros AND fans! Spot the DANG BALL!!!

I'm devastated..............................................

Aug 20, 2014, 8:58 AM

Said no Clemson fan ever.

Aug 20, 2014, 9:02 AM

src=http://awesomelyluvvie.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/shade5.gif

HTML Fail

Aug 20, 2014, 9:05 AM

Fantastic news! Herbstreit has been the kiss

Aug 20, 2014, 9:05 AM

Of death from time to time.

Aug 20, 2014, 9:14 AM

I respect Herbstreit's opinion and he makes some very valid points. He's not an SEC homer and has picked us to win in the past. I hope he's wrong this time. Besides, we usually play better as the underdog and it makes the victory even sweeter. Go Tigers!

Often Herbstreit has jumped on the Clemson bandwagon

Aug 20, 2014, 9:17 AM

but it's the worst thing for us.

They can jump on again later. I think the talk and pats on the back hurt us in '11, b/c the team was so young. These guys have been through it now, not likely to fall into the same trap.

Not an unreasonable take at all

Aug 20, 2014, 9:19 AM

for someone who doesn't really know anything about Cole Stoudt, or for somebody who has to analyze a gazillion football games every week without having much real in-depth knowledge. I wouldn't worry about it or be too upset over it - it doesn't really matter.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Not an unreasonable take at all

Aug 20, 2014, 9:36 AM

So is this supposed to be news? What did Herby do, just read what everyone else has been saying and say it over again. What insight. What depth of thought. Keep pullin in the big bucks Herby. With original thought like that, you will continue amaze us all.

So he has nailed two opinions this week.

1) Clemson will have a tough time playing @ GA. Shocking!

2) Braxton Miller's injury will be tough on THE
ohio state university. Really Shocking!

Looks like you're catching on.***

Aug 20, 2014, 9:52 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Herbie is doing us a favor...

Aug 20, 2014, 9:59 AM [ in reply to Re: Not an unreasonable take at all ]

this is extra motivation for the team. Perfect!

Thanks Herbie!

Re: Not an unreasonable take at all

Aug 20, 2014, 12:02 PM [ in reply to Not an unreasonable take at all ]

Well, he was a college football QB and did tell us some detail about the defensive scheme and matchup we'll be seeing, which was a LOT better than the average ESPN schmuck that just says Clemson will lose because Sammy plays in the NFL now.

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.

I am outraged and offended and hurt.

Aug 20, 2014, 9:32 AM

The letters e, s, p, and n along with k, i, r, k, h, b, and t should be completely banned on Clemson's campus. I fart on herbstreets grave.

eSECpn has Herbsreit on corrective action after last years

Aug 20, 2014, 9:46 AM

Clemson-UGA game. He's being forced to make statements under extreme duress.

Aug 20, 2014, 10:03 AM

All those numbers Mr. Herbstreit don't mean a ### thing with us headed into Georgia on August 30, 2014. The stats you're quoting are from 2013 with a team that no one in the country could beat. Not even one of the world beaters from the sec in AuBum. Give coach Steele the talent that FSU had on defense last year, and he also would shine like the crystal ball that FSU put in their trophy case. Bama and FSU were deep with some of the best defensive talent in the country for Pruitt to work with. Not so much at Georgia, and Pruitt had PLENTY of time to get all that FSU defensive talent ready for Clemson. Again, not so much with his UGA group. Mr. Herbstreit, stats are good when recording history, but not so good for predicting the future. If they were any good for predicting the future, the coot would have never won 5 straight against us.

Wouldn't Herbstreit lose his job for picking against the $EC***

Aug 20, 2014, 10:14 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Aug 20, 2014, 10:16 AM

This doesn't shock me. Talking heads all talk--and talk is cheap . That's why the games are played.

Aug 20, 2014, 10:39 AM

I like Herb, and I think he's probably the best at what he does. I enjoy listening to his commentary, but he's not always right. This is one of his misses. Clemson will win in Athens.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 20, 2014, 10:46 AM

If we control the line of scrimmage and don't
make costly mistakes, we will win the ballgame........

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz***

Aug 20, 2014, 10:44 AM

Isn't this UGA's first game with the new DC?***

Aug 20, 2014, 11:20 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, but in only one season at FSU

Aug 20, 2014, 11:27 AM

he produced the #3 total D in the nation.......Oh wait, they were #2 the year before. ;)

Re: Isn't this UGA's first game with the new DC?***

Aug 20, 2014, 12:07 PM [ in reply to Isn't this UGA's first game with the new DC?*** ]

Yes, and that same coach had 8 weeks to bring that bevy of talent he had at FSU after the season had started before he played Clemson. FSU was good and I'm not trying to take a thing away from them, they were the best team in the country. But I'm not giving them the fact that out guys made mistake after mistake in that game. I credit the FSU defense for some of the mistakes we made, but the most of them were by simple mental era. Some of the era was also by the referring. BUT, UGA isn't even close to being FSU of last year!!!

For the record, how many tackles did

Aug 20, 2014, 2:51 PM

Jeremy Pruitt have last year?

How many INT's????

Broken-up passes??????

That's what I thought.

Spoken like an outsider

Aug 20, 2014, 11:23 AM

And all of the outsider masses...

2005_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been wrong two times, but this isn't one of them.

Yawn (waiting for some actually news)...********

Aug 20, 2014, 11:51 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

It is a tough matchup Captain Obvious

Aug 20, 2014, 12:20 PM

That's why Georgia is ranked higher than we are. It's a huge rivalry. Big home field advantage. If it was supposed to be an easy matchup they would have scheduled SC State as the opener. I like us being the underdog.

NO FARMERS NO FOOD

Aug 20, 2014, 12:23 PM

Some one correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall seeing or hearing about Herbstreit being around for.the spring game, summer workouts or fall camp. Seems to me he is basing his opinion on what he has heard from other media people who might have been around at one of the mentioned events. He has shown us some.love on occasion, but he falls in with the rest of the media that thinks because Tajh and Sammy are gone we will have a mediocre season. Post his diatribe on the locker room door as a reminder to see on the way to practice and on the door at GA.

He also reported "Les Miles to Michigan" years ago...

Aug 20, 2014, 12:25 PM

...before Michigan ended up hiring Rich Rod.

If you've ever been to Athens to see Clemson play UGA, it's going to be a tough environment for sure.

We won't know exactly what caliber of team that we have *until after* that game is over.

As a broadcaster, Herbstreit will fall in and out of love with teams as the season progresses.

Not being automatically considered the favorite in this game is a good thing, IMO. A victory at Athens would be sweet - and not necessarily a surprise.

I think he was just being a jerk to hurt Michigan when

Aug 20, 2014, 1:36 PM

he did that. From what I heard later, it was a deal but got nixed when he reported it.

I like him as a broadcaster, but he can be a **** sometimes.

Pretty reasonable assessment I thought.***

Aug 20, 2014, 1:16 PM

Herbie's been one Clemson's biggest fans

Aug 20, 2014, 1:17 PM

Give Herbstreit some credit, he's been one of Clemson's biggest fans over the years. I've always really liked him...and he seems to like Clemson for the best reasons of all, IMHO - he loves the atmosphere here, he loves the fans. He sees how loyal we stayed - the '90's were grim, and the Tommy Bowden years were supremely frustrating, with the whole often never equaling the sums of its parts, and when we pretty much invented the term "Clemsoning". But despite that Herbie always believed in Clemson even when not many other people in the national media did.

He's also right about this game. It's a tall order for Stoudt...and Pruitt is indeed very good - he flat-out owned us last year with FSU - and on the road at Athens, on opening day, is a rough way to start for an offense that lost its starting QB, two WR's, and starting left tackle to the NFL. From a neutral's perspective it'd be durn hard to pick Clemson in this one.

Why get bent out of shape about it? Stoudt is going to have to have ice-water in his veins to play well in this game. If he can just equal the performance he had in the Spring Game, we'll probably be OK...but if he throws a couple early picks and we get down, the crowd could get on top of us and we could drown, too.

We'll know a lot more about Stoudt after this game. In particular, is he an NFL prospect in his own right, and the guy to run this offense and maybe vie for the playoff, or is he just a placeholder, a guy who's keeping the seat warm for Deshaun Watson?

I do think Stoudt is a cool cat. Certainly the difference in mentality was glaringly obvious in the Spring Game, when he methodically, and competently, led his team...and Chad Kelly, who is without question a superior physical talent, melted down in spectacular fashion. But is Stoudt cool enough for UGA? That's the question.

Re: Herbie's been one Clemson's biggest fans

Aug 20, 2014, 1:49 PM

Well said.

No, ESPN invented the word "Clemsoning" regardless

Aug 20, 2014, 3:12 PM [ in reply to Herbie's been one Clemson's biggest fans ]

of the fact that upsets happen every week.

There's something in these hills.

Aug 20, 2014, 1:22 PM

Yea, he got it right.

Use it as fuel!!!!***

Aug 20, 2014, 1:58 PM

Wow.

Aug 20, 2014, 3:05 PM

By not mentioning them at all, a complete diss to Clemson's defense, thought by some to be the best in the country, at least on paper, preseason. And what do we get but a glowing account of Georgia's defense, already hobbled as it is b/c of attrition. It's true that our offense is going to have some challenges, but Georgia's offense is going to have even greater challenges.

Herbie don't know....

Aug 20, 2014, 3:08 PM

Stoudt.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 20, 2014, 3:09 PM

Georgia played 7 games at home last year with pretty much the same players that will be on the field this year. They gave up 180 points in those games (avg. 25.7 per game). Their home record was 6-1, however 4 of those wins were against North Texas, Appalachian State, Kentucky and Florida. Remember that Florida did not qualify for a bowl last year, so they were pretty bad. UGA only beat them by 3 at home. The other 3 teams were LSU, South Carolina, and Missouri. They won by 3 over LSU, but gave up 41 points in that game. They also beat SCar, but gave up 30. They lost to Missouri when they gave up 41 points. The point is that teams that had a pulse on offense had very little problem scoring on the Dawgs last year. I really don't believe a bad defense becomes good overnight. I also don't believe Stoudt is some sort of a wide eyed Freshman. He's a senior, and he knows what to expect. And I'm sure the coaches will gameplan to his strengths. Herbstreit may be right that UGA wins, but it won't be because Stoudt is unprepared for the atmosphere. I personally think Clemson wins by 7 to 10 points as the defense will pressure and create turnovers like we did last year.

Replies: 104
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic