Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Cause for concern with the offense?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 46
| visibility 1

New Story: Cause for concern with the offense?

Aug 16, 2014, 5:45 PM

Cause for concern with the offense?

Offensive coordinator Chad Morris wasn't happy following Saturday's scrimmage, and he said it was time for the coaches to turn up the heat on an offense that has to face Georgia in two weeks. What disappointed him? What does he say about the turnovers? Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think the media blow things extremely......

Aug 16, 2014, 6:06 PM

.....out of context and try to make things there that aren't really there. I mean the Dabo interview he said he let a lot of the older veterans that they know what they bring have a good portion of the practice off and coaches no matter if it is the back ups get disappointed when the team doesn't execute. The offense is going against a pretty good defense and I would be worried if we read that the offense dominated scrimmages through camp. I just think sometimes the media needs a story so instead of reporting that everything is good and there is no story that they would rather try to read body language and form their own opinions off that. Just like the offensive line thats all I have read, not on T-Net, is that we don't know who is going to play the right tackle spot from certain outlets but then I watch an interview and hear Dabo say he believes he has 10 O-linemen he feels the team can win with, well thats all I need to know I love to read articles but I am going to believe what I hear the coaches say instead of making sure he is smiling when he is saying it. Plus I will formulate my opinion on the team at about 9 o'clock August 30th until then nobody knows JACK....

Re: I think the media blow things extremely......

Aug 16, 2014, 6:28 PM

I thought any media that might say anything negative had been removed.

"What do you want me to do, Ron...?"***

Aug 16, 2014, 6:30 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: "What do you want me to do, Ron...?"***

Aug 16, 2014, 6:38 PM

Ron has left the building.

Our defense sounds as nasty as predicted ...is what I am thinking.
Certainly anyone who has ever listened to Chad Morris can tell that he is a little #### slash OCD about the performance and timing of his playcalling. That isn't him worrying , its a guy that is in charge not letting those young men settle for average. I applaud his mindset.
Clemson is going to be better this year than last , in my honest.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Aug 17, 2014, 12:58 PM

Fully expect that you are all ore it on this one! +1

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 17, 2014, 6:12 PM

Should be read as all over it. Not much on typing, sorry.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Uh, you're posting on the wrong board with that comment.***

Aug 16, 2014, 9:14 PM [ in reply to Re: I think the media blow things extremely...... ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 17, 2014, 12:57 PM [ in reply to Re: I think the media blow things extremely...... ]

Sorry, that would be usuc. Nice try, though.

Aug 16, 2014, 7:24 PM [ in reply to I think the media blow things extremely...... ]

When I read the media BS, I don't give it a second thought, and more this year than previous years. The coaches are only letting them see and hear, exactly what they want them to see and hear.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Cause for concern with the offense?

Aug 16, 2014, 6:06 PM

Offense lacking leadership? I thought cole was going to be the level headed, cool under pressure leader. If he's not then DW needs to be in there.

Aug 16, 2014, 6:39 PM

Apparently both QB's are making some bad decisions. Two interceptions. We'd better hope that our secondary is outstanding. And if Dabo says, we have 10 offensive linesmen that he can depend on, I'd like to know their names.

You don't know the Clemson players names just like

Aug 16, 2014, 9:16 PM

I don't know the coot's names.

Re: You don't know the Clemson players names just like

Aug 17, 2014, 1:00 PM

Yep!

Cole is a senior, he better learn how to be a leader soon...

Aug 16, 2014, 8:47 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Cause for concern with the offense? ]

Because I guarantee Deshaun will lead if given the opportunity. That kid is the definition of a "field general".

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I see it this way...

Aug 16, 2014, 6:10 PM

Hey Dawgs, look what your offense has to look forward to!

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Re: I see it this way...

Aug 16, 2014, 6:40 PM

Hope you are right.

Aug 16, 2014, 7:08 PM [ in reply to I see it this way... ]

I don't think that's a 100% accurate analogy. Georgia returns all of its wide receivers, Keith Marshall and Todd Gurley. We've lost a lot of our offensive firepower from last year. On the plus side, Georgia's scrimmage on Friday was similarly sloppy, with a pick six and a number of stupid penalties. At this point in summer camp, they are all tired of banging around with each other and are ready to get into pregame mode. I think we'll see a more accurate test of things in the next scrimmage, which will be a game simulation for Georgia.

Aug 16, 2014, 8:30 PM

The 2nd string was sloppy. 1st teamers looked sharp/solid.

Aug 16, 2014, 7:38 PM

the lack of leadership is beginning to show?......seriously?

Aug 16, 2014, 7:39 PM

I may be reading into things as well but Coach Morris' didn't sound very confident in the leadership at all. Last year, the team belonged to Tajh. This year, I would say Grady Jarrett is the one they all look up to(or they're scared of. Dude is a beast, I was behind him in line at Ingles). The defensive leadership is in place. Cole seems more like a goofball type of guy that would be hard to take serious. Nothing wrong with that, I'm just not sure it is a quality you would look for in your starting QB who has to be the unquestioned leader of your offense. Pessimism is creeping in. Gotta fight it off. Go Tigers!!!!!

Aug 16, 2014, 8:18 PM

I can easily see there being a leadership concern on offense. New QB, WRs, and RBs. All new to the starting lineup. Heck, most of those guys have seen a minimal amount of crunch time, "under the light," snaps. And regardless what you say about the media needing a story, there isn't much to "fudge" when you QBs throw 2 pick 6's, one on the second play of the game. I've said it before, this offense isn't picking up where last year's left off. Not the first 2-3 games anyways. Which I'm one who is predicting 9-3 got the regular season anyways. Having said all that, I'd be much more concerned if our defense wasn't giving the offense fits. It's supposed to have one the best front fours in the nation. Heck, maybe front seven. I think our defense will be nasty this season. There would be much more reason to panic if the offense wasn't struggling at times against them

This isn't a bad thing at this point

Aug 16, 2014, 8:19 PM

Our defense is very good, and they know what our offense is going to do better than anyone else in the world. This is a good opportunity for Morris to push these guys and motivate them to get better. I'm not worried about it. I think we'll be fine in on offense two weeks. And I think our defense is going to be ready to do some serious hitting.

If UGA tries to be one-dimensional, they're in trouble. I don't care if they have the 1962 Jim Brown and the 1973 OJ Simpson. I think even the most deluded dawg understands that.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This isn't a bad thing at this point

Aug 16, 2014, 10:17 PM

Not worried about leadership from the QB position. Think the team is all in, just will take some battle experience to cement these new guys.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This isn't a bad thing at this point

Aug 16, 2014, 11:09 PM

I just watched chad Morris video post scrimmage. He was asked who threw the pick sixes and his response was "I don't know, I'm not sure if I was even watching". ?????? Maybe I shouldn't expect an honest response but geez. Shouldn't the greatest offensive mind in college football be analyzing his qb play a little more closely? I am going to throw out a conspiracy theory. There's no way he doesn't know who threw the pick sixes. So I think that was an intentional lie. Maybe they are intentionally making things sound worse to get Uga to take them lightly. Heck, he said we have no leadership and hey, he says he wasn't even watching the d&@! Game. I'm not buying what he's selling.

Anybody know who threw the picks?***

Aug 16, 2014, 8:35 PM

Cole threw 2, Deshaun threw 1

Aug 16, 2014, 8:48 PM

They stopped play when Deshaun's pass was picked, so I don't know if it would have gone for a TD or not.

Aug 16, 2014, 9:03 PM

This is the year we see if the chads offense is the real deal or not. I'm tired of hearing we can faster, sometimes an offense can go to fast. Sometimes I feel like we run 3 plays in 30 seconds, get zero yards, punt and chad is more focused on the fact we ran those plays really fast than the fact we went 3 and out.

On the leadership of the offense, I think we will see the true leaders emerge once the games start. Right now we have players tryin to "lead" who have been backups for 4 yrs and even though they are no longer in the backup role they may still have that backup mentality when it comes to being vocal. We have a 5th yr Qb a 5th year RB, WR's that other than humphries have played only a reserve role. Hopefully some of the younger guys are true leaders and emerge soon.

Aug 16, 2014, 9:14 PM

There are things that the Clemson offense does very well right now. There are a number of things in the total offensive package that hasn't been mastered by Watson or Stoudt. Rest assured that the game plan for UGA will include those plays that the Qb's et al run well. I personally think that we will still see a lot of screens this year. Especially if the down field blocking improves. Don't let anyone kid you about the running backs. It may take a game or two to get everyone on the same page but it will happen. Right now, we have to get by the dogs and it certainly can be done ... but it will take a total effort.

I couldn't agree more!

Aug 16, 2014, 9:35 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Cause for concern with the offense? ]

This is what I have been thinking all offseason. NOW is the time to see if Chad has staying power.

Who started at the tackle spots?***

Aug 16, 2014, 11:53 PM

Re: Who started at the tackle spots?***

Aug 17, 2014, 12:01 AM

People worry sumthin' awful.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

I wouldn't read too much into this

Aug 17, 2014, 12:31 AM

IMO this a perfect example of motivating through the press.

Scrimmage and practice results are never a cause

Aug 17, 2014, 8:28 AM

of concern to me. Who is to say if the defense is just that freaking good? Who is to say if the offense was simply trying things they would not try in a game? It is practice. I will reserve all judgment for August 30th. Go Tigers!!!

Re: Scrimmage and practice results are never a cause

Aug 17, 2014, 8:45 AM

On O, Chad purposefully kept Cole's favored "go to" guys off the field. He did this to stretch the team and to get Cole to not to fall in love with just 3 or 4 guys. Similar tactics used on the O line. Get them out of their comfort zone and force them to adapt. Because the coaches know that a real game will pretty much require them to adapt. Nothing hardly ever goes according to ######.

And when they fail to adapt, Chad plants his foot up their #### - as he should!

The only thing that bothers me is that Cole or Battle or Legget or one of the O players hasn't shown the ability to be that "foot planter" and Morris has to do it. It is not nearly as effective as when a highly respected player does it.

That then leads me to another concern. Is there a lack of confidence causing this? Does no one on the O not feel they have paid the price sufficiently to tell the team to get their #### in gear?

I can tell you, on the teams I played on, we always had folks who had put in so much time and effort and study that when someone was not focused or giving it their best, they got called out by those teammates. It was a band of brothers like no other and no slack ##### were tolerated. The team self selected to push them out of the main mix if they didn't respond. Where is that on this offense?

might have something to do defense***

Aug 17, 2014, 9:02 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not surprising

Aug 17, 2014, 9:40 AM

Offense is going to take a step back this year. That is almost a certainty. Just don't have the playmakers we have had. Defense should be stout and capable of winning a lot of games.
We will have a very good team but I am not expecting double digit wins this year as it is a transition year in many respects. However, Morris is a heck of a coach and may have the system humming by the end of the year.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You may be right, but if...

Aug 17, 2014, 9:47 AM

...you are, I will be soooo disappointed.

Why?

Aug 17, 2014, 2:02 PM

We are clearly trending up and becoming a national force. College is a very fluid process and we have many, many things in our favor I don't see us dropping off the map anytime soon. There will be some "down" years that we only win 8-9 years; not long ago, that was a good year for us.
Just understand that everybody is a juggernaut in pre-season but the fact remains we lost a TON of production on the offensive side and you just can't expect the same level this year. Can the defense overcome our likely drop in offense? Not sure but I think they may be able to. We also have a tough schedule with 2 of our 3 biggest games away early in the year.
All I'm saying is we are not rated in the top ten right now for a reason. Let's not lose sight of how far we have come in a few short years. The only must game in USuC so I am eager to see how we improve during the season as the streak has to stop.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 17, 2014, 11:01 AM

I hope they are having lots of things to coach on during camp. Remember when our coaches used to say how good we were during camp and then we would lose to Wake Forest or something?

Aug 17, 2014, 11:42 AM

Very difficult to rate a QB, or others in a game of 'touch' football and that is what we have in these practice games. There is no way to judge a QB's mobility in that situation. We will learn a lot more in the first quarter of the Ga. game. Having a practice game should be allowed by the NCAA and we would know a lot more about our personnel. I believe every coach would be for that.

Aug 17, 2014, 11:49 AM

It's funny that we have heard nothing but good things concerning Stoudt up to this point. Now, it seems that the sky is falling from a single scrimmage. I think we are correct in saying that the defense looks pretty darn good and that they should appear to be ahead of the offense at this point. The fact of the matter is, that we will not know the true identity of this offense until Sept, 30.

Aug 17, 2014, 11:50 AM

Excuse me. I meant Aug, 30th.

Aug 17, 2014, 8:15 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Cause for concern with the offense? ]

After watching yesterdays scrimmage and listening to Coach Caldwell afterwards I get the feeling that the coaches know something that we don't! A quiet confidence seems to exists among the players and coaches. I feel better today than I have thus far in the pre season.

Aug 19, 2014, 9:04 PM

There does seem to exist a sense of confidence that we are preparing for this game the right way. I have always believed that if you really prepare to the very best of your ability and push yourself beyond your comfort zone you rarely are disappointed with the results. I think that is the case with this team now. There is an inner strength in them that brings about a quiet confidence. Very different from the old days. I believe we will be very ready for the team from Athens.

Aug 17, 2014, 11:55 AM

How dare you question that this offense will be number 1 in the nation and national champions! It was just a scrimmage anyway, had a bunch of back ups in like Cole Stoudt and Daniel Rodriguez

Aug 19, 2014, 9:26 PM

Word

Replies: 46
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic