Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Howard says QBs running the ball in short-yardage is a "spit in the face"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 38
| visibility 1

New Story: Howard says QBs running the ball in short-yardage is a "spit in the face"

Aug 12, 2014, 8:47 PM

Howard says QBs running the ball in short-yardage is a "spit in the face"

The Clemson Tigers have relied on quarterback Tajh Boyd to get the tough yards on third and fourth down the last three seasons, and senior running back D.J. Howard says it's time the running backs got their chance. What does Shaq Lawson say about Clemson's title chances? What does Ben Boulware say about practice conditions? Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Let me get some popcorn. This should be good!!!

Aug 12, 2014, 8:55 PM

nm

Re: Let me get some popcorn. This should be good!!!

Aug 12, 2014, 8:57 PM

Maybe face spitting could help tjem gain that short yardage they are looking for. ..

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Time to put up of shut up!

Aug 12, 2014, 9:02 PM

There is a reason the backs aren't getting the ball DJ!!

or

Aug 12, 2014, 9:19 PM

Re: Time to put up of shut up!

Aug 12, 2014, 9:44 PM [ in reply to Time to put up of shut up! ]

The Chad ain't gonna like this. Open mouth and insert Chad Morris in your A$S....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Time to put up of shut up!

Aug 12, 2014, 10:12 PM [ in reply to Time to put up of shut up! ]

You hit the nail on the head.

DJ needs to look at tape of himself

Aug 12, 2014, 11:10 PM [ in reply to Time to put up of shut up! ]

to see why he in particular wasn't getting the ball in short yardage situations. Coaches don't want a RB who is going to dance at the line and run upright trying to power the ball in those situations because it doesn't tend to work.

Aug 12, 2014, 10:11 PM [ in reply to Let me get some popcorn. This should be good!!! ]

DJ Howard is a very nice young man. He is also highly motivated, and I admire him. In fact, he is limited in terms of talent, and has been, and never will be, anything more than a very average RB----lacking big-time speed, lateral movement, and the ability to make quick cuts. It's been this way for 3 years, and will remain the same. He will nota be a factor at RB, and the fact that we keep hearing that somehow he will be, makes me think we have a problem at RB.

You might be wrong ...

Aug 12, 2014, 11:22 PM

I think you're selling DJ short ... because you left out the part where he's been battling injuries for most of his career to this point.

Of course, you have to stay healthy to make an impact on the field, but in retrospect, you might have seen the real DJ Howard a couple of years ago against Auburn when he was healthy and tearing the War Eagles up.

He showed plenty of speed, lateral movement and quick cuts that day. The guy has the ability to be very good.

When Andre Ellington left, we heard similar comments about Rod McDowell's chances of being the "go-to" guy at RB ... but over 1,000 yards later, his supposed shortcomings weren't quite as big an issue.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 13, 2014, 6:16 AM [ in reply to Re: Let me get some popcorn. This should be good!!! ]

I liked the way DJ ran the ball when healthy.... he was never healthy last year... I do not remember him dancing I remember him hitting the hole hard and running hard... he did not exibit the cutting ability of Hot Rod or CJ Davidson but he ran with a little more power. GJ has gained some weight and I am looking for more from him... but DJ might have some 100 yd games this year.. we will see....

Re: New Story: Howard says QBs running the ball in short-yardage is a "spit in the face"

Aug 12, 2014, 8:57 PM

IMHO, it's not a matter of spitting in the face of the RB's, but a spit in the face of an OL that couldn't seem to open even a crevice for a RB to run through. The beauty about the QB running the ball is he could see where the hole was and go to it, rather than go to a pre-determined gap that wasn't opened. Many of TB's runs were pass plays where noone was open. It seemed better last year, and I hope it gets even better this year and into the future. The OL is the biggest factor in getting those yards.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Howard says QBs running the ball in short-yardage is a "spit in the face"

Aug 12, 2014, 10:14 PM

Great post. The OL is the problem. Mediocre.

Aug 13, 2014, 6:19 AM

I am not sure how mediocre the OL is when you have a 3000 yd passer and a 1000 yd rusher 3 years in a row....

Aug 13, 2014, 9:11 AM

It has been very ineffective in short yardage running situations. The stats you cite, though accurate are helped by us running about twice as many plays over that time frame as we used to run. Granted, I think we are getting better, but the OL certainly has not been a strong point for us in the last several years, especially in short yardage situations.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 13, 2014, 9:07 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Howard says QBs running the ball in short-yardage is a "spit in the face" ]

While I agree it has been a huge part of the lack of success , especially in short yardage situations, I did see some improvement last season, and in Spring I sensed the line being better. I hope I'm right, and it continues to get better and be an asset, rather than a question mark. It only can help that they have been working against as good a defense as they probably will see anywhere.

Aug 12, 2014, 10:25 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Howard says QBs running the ball in short-yardage is a "spit in the face" ]

On the money. Saved me a long winded post.

Aug 13, 2014, 9:13 AM

Glad I could help, but I am sad I am right on this. I want the OL to be a "go-to" unit that can get the yard on 4th and 1 just by pushing the defense off the ball and not by trickery.

Aug 12, 2014, 9:17 PM

Anybody see Adam Choice lining up at QB in some short yardage situations??? He looked pretty comfy at QB doing that stuff in HS. I think the RB's might have some competition in that area with Choice. I know - Choice wasn't signed to do that, but just thinking aloud.

Aug 12, 2014, 10:15 PM

t won't matter if the OL can't block anybody.

Remedial

Aug 12, 2014, 10:50 PM

you literally have no idea what you're talking about - on every level

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Surprise? Slumdog??????***

Aug 12, 2014, 11:09 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Deer DJ,

Aug 12, 2014, 9:21 PM

Deer DJ,
You're numbirs have becum worser each seeson. 5.6, 3.9, 3.7 yds per carry. I hope ewe run reely hard and don't fumble dis yeer. I won't ewe too have a reely guud yeer.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Give DJ the ball

Aug 12, 2014, 9:32 PM

He wants it. Give DJ the ball.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Give DJ the ball

Aug 12, 2014, 10:16 PM

Why???

I'm sure walk-ons you've never heard of want the ball too

Aug 13, 2014, 12:46 PM [ in reply to Give DJ the ball ]

Doesn't mean they don't suck.

Aug 12, 2014, 9:36 PM

Interesting . . . sorry dude but QB ran the short yardage because he was the only one that could get the #### ball into the end zone! Sounds like its still an issue based on practice and scrimmage reports so unless you want Coach Morris to keep spitting you and the boys better start finding that end zone. Pulling hard for you guys so get out there and get it done and we'll throw gatorade at you instead of spit

Aug 12, 2014, 9:38 PM

Did anyone else watch that video of DJ and think they were hallucinating? If you didn't go watch again.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 12, 2014, 9:52 PM

I think that he should be playing with a chip on his shoulder b/c, those other guys are swinging that AX and getting chips on their shoulders.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 12, 2014, 10:18 PM

Chip or not, he just doesn't have the talent.

Y'all sound like a bunch of dumbbutts for

Aug 12, 2014, 9:58 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Howard says QBs running the ball in short-yardage is a "spit in the face" ]

Critiquing a guy who wants the ball. Y'all don't know the whole story and if you were in his shoes, you'd say the same things. You want a RB with that attitude.

Re: Y'all sound like a bunch of dumbbutts for

Aug 13, 2014, 1:41 AM

Any running back worth his salt wants the ball in critical situations. JD is spot on.

No, man. I think that's just you

Aug 12, 2014, 10:10 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Howard says QBs running the ball in short-yardage is a "spit in the face" ]

I'm kidding. YES!!! What's wrong with that camera? Especially after the 3:00 mark, then really bad after the 4:00 mark! That's some trippy stuff.

Fear and Loathing in Death Valley

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, I could hear All Along the Watchtower...

Aug 12, 2014, 10:15 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Howard says QBs running the ball in short-yardage is a "spit in the face" ]

about 30sec into the video. I've been waiting since the sixties for a good flashback.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 12, 2014, 9:58 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Howard says QBs running the ball in short-yardage is a "spit in the face" ]

Coach Morris don't spit Gatorade, he spits Red Bull!!!

Well you know what they say... If you don't like it then DO

Aug 13, 2014, 7:58 AM

SOMETHING ABOUT IT!

If I’m the coach

Aug 13, 2014, 9:18 AM

I give it to who I think can get in no matter what the situation...

We don't have bully who can bust it up the middle and fall forward so we have quick count it and slip through a hole...Tajh had some adequate size to do that, really, better than anyone in our backfield last year.

I wouldn't have felt comfortable giving it to any of our backs in short field situations other than tajh. So kudos to coach for making the right call, maybe not popular call, but right call.

See thats the difference in this coaching staff and the last. they don't play the politics and seniority and "we owe it to you" game. they play to get yards, score, and win. Team ball.

see back in the day we get on the goal line and rush it up the middle 3 times with a tailback and settle for field goals. This coaching staff is trying to find ways to score. ONe thing i knew for sure was that if Rob Spence had a chance on the goal line we need to get our fg kicker ready. and 3 down he would go spread formation with no running back and a slow white qb that you know ain't running. Never undestood that logic. I was always waiting for this unbelievable witty play from that formation but never got it. Don't think he did either.

I'll bet Chad loved being accused of spitting in RBs' faces.***

Aug 13, 2014, 1:41 PM

Re: I'll bet Chad loved being accused of spitting in RBs' faces.***

Aug 13, 2014, 2:23 PM

Yeah, Howard is so elite (at least in his own mind) that maybe we should just make him the OC. Then he could get the ball on every play and we could set a new record by not winning a single game.

Replies: 38
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic