1 chatters in TigerActive   Go!  
Front Page » TigerNet Forums » Archives » Tiger Board Archive

Topic: New Story: The Battle To Gain Weight
Replies: 14   Last Post: Aug 3, 2014 11:51 PM by: 3rdGenTiger
This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.

Back to [ Archives - Tiger Board Archive ]
Hopefully he doesn't have Celiac's disease or Candidiasis [1]
Posted: Aug 3, 2014 4:04 PM

My first two years at Clemson I worked out 5 times a week trying gain weight but could barely gain a thing. Every day at Harcombe I ate 2 plates of food each meal. Lunch & dinner would be an entire plate of pasta with 2 chicken breasts on top, with the second plate being full of whatever was for dinner that day. On top of that I'd have one Heavyweight Gainer 900 shake a day. I took a nutrition class at the time and was required to count calories for an assignment, and on average I was at roughly 5000 calories per day, more than double the required amount for someone my size. Even though I was athletic and had a good frame, I don't think I gained more than 3 pounds in two years.

Come to find out I was both gluten intolerant and had a systemic candida yeast overgrowth in my digestive system, both of which essentially blocked the absorption of calories and nutrients. Made me gassier than a propane plant on top of it. lol. Not to mention I was constantly lethargic and a frequent visitor of Redfern. After I ditched the wheat products, simple carbs, and refined sugars from my diet, the weight flew on and I gained 25-30 solid pounds the following couple years and had more energy than I'd ever known..... and did so in almost half the calories. True story.

I believe one of the FSU quarterbacks had the same problem a couple years ago.

178 people have read this post