Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: The Battle To Gain Weight
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

New Story: The Battle To Gain Weight

Aug 3, 2014, 6:58 AM

The Battle To Gain Weight

Left tackle Isaiah Battle has struggled to maintain his weight while at Clemson, and says he loads up on carbs at every meal. What did he weigh Saturday? What does he say about Clemson's nutrition program? Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: The Battle To Gain Weight

Aug 3, 2014, 9:00 AM

Man, I wish I had that young man's problem! I can look at a steak and gain 5 pounds!

Re: New Story: The Battle To Gain Weight

Aug 3, 2014, 10:07 AM

I had the exact same problem when I was his age. I had a job in high school and summers between semesters at Clemson driving a delivery truck. I would stop at McDonald's every trip - both going and returning - and get a Big Mac or quarter pounder. I usually made 2 to 3 trips a day. My weight barely fluctuated at all. I was 128 pounds my freshman year and about 135 when I graduated. I'm not tall by any stretch but at 5'9" I was pretty much a beanpole at 128 pounds.

I can guarantee that this won't be a problem for him in a few years though. Once you hit 40, gaining weight is no problem at all. Well, it is but in a different way. Unfortunately I can vouch for that!

Some people gain the "freshman 15"

Aug 3, 2014, 10:51 AM

I gained a freshman 35... in the first semester! Keg parties and unlimited Rib-B-Q's, mash-n-gravy, etc. etc.

I had the same problem in highschool

Aug 3, 2014, 10:16 AM

I was at 128 and my coaches wanted me to play linebacker because they liked the way I hit but said I get ran over by lineman. I did pretty much the same thing Battle is doing, eating lots of protein and carbs but what really helped me out was protein shakes. I drank about 2-3 a day and the weight started coming on. I got up to 155 at the start of the season. Maybe Battle should try protein shakes if he isn't already drinking them

Re: I had the same problem in highschool

Aug 3, 2014, 10:21 AM

Some of the protein shakes we had when we were in high school had ingredients that are no longer legal in NCAA or professional sports.

Re: I had the same problem in highschool

Aug 3, 2014, 10:30 AM [ in reply to I had the same problem in highschool ]

288 is fine. Focus on gaining weight through weight lifting. He will find another 10 to 20 pound by the time he goes to the nfl. He plays left tackle. He is going up again the rush end. Lots of time they are only 250.

Agree. Weight alone shouldn't be the main goal. Strength &

Aug 3, 2014, 11:49 AM

speed should definitely come first...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fat mass has absolutely no benefit...

Aug 3, 2014, 12:36 PM

...eat right, build muscle and endurance. Muscle and technique give you leverage against the other guy, not fat.

Message was edited by: Tiger1983®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Fat mass has absolutely no benefit...

Aug 3, 2014, 2:39 PM

Now you on the right track. I agree 100%. Ask Vic Beasley. You move slow he's gone, you lean wrong you thrown.

I don't know what to say. wow!***

Aug 3, 2014, 1:57 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Photobucket

Good Lord. I sat next to this guy at the Pitt basketball

Aug 3, 2014, 2:37 PM

game in March and he was a freaking monster. But, like all of our guys, very polite and approachable. Bigger can only mean better for this guy.

Hopefully he doesn't have Celiac's disease or Candidiasis

Aug 3, 2014, 4:04 PM

My first two years at Clemson I worked out 5 times a week trying gain weight but could barely gain a thing. Every day at Harcombe I ate 2 plates of food each meal. Lunch & dinner would be an entire plate of pasta with 2 chicken breasts on top, with the second plate being full of whatever was for dinner that day. On top of that I'd have one Heavyweight Gainer 900 shake a day. I took a nutrition class at the time and was required to count calories for an assignment, and on average I was at roughly 5000 calories per day, more than double the required amount for someone my size. Even though I was athletic and had a good frame, I don't think I gained more than 3 pounds in two years.

Come to find out I was both gluten intolerant and had a systemic candida yeast overgrowth in my digestive system, both of which essentially blocked the absorption of calories and nutrients. Made me gassier than a propane plant on top of it. lol. Not to mention I was constantly lethargic and a frequent visitor of Redfern. After I ditched the wheat products, simple carbs, and refined sugars from my diet, the weight flew on and I gained 25-30 solid pounds the following couple years and had more energy than I'd ever known..... and did so in almost half the calories. True story.

I believe one of the FSU quarterbacks had the same problem a couple years ago.

The FSU QB has Celiac Disease. In college, I was

Aug 3, 2014, 11:51 PM

misdiagnosed with Crohn's, my freshman year I thought it was the food at Harcombe. The problems is most of those digestive disorders take a long time to figure out. I figured out in my late 30's it is Celiac. Dooesn't sound like he has any other issues than trouble with weight gain.

I Have Had This Situation Forever

Aug 3, 2014, 6:04 PM

I'm considered averagely chiseled
and I look like I weigh more
than my actual weight. I eat
everything bad to good to good
too bad. One thing I do know, it's
freaking very expensive to pile
on and eat right as well as pile on
eating the bad stuff to try to gain
weight. It's a trip but maybe it's