Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Louisville fan has a question about tailgating at Clemson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 46
| visibility 1

Louisville fan has a question about tailgating at Clemson

Jul 4, 2014, 10:25 AM

First off, let me say that Louisville fans definitely appreciate Clemson going to bat for us when the ACC was trying to decide on Maryland's replacement. Our fan base is pumped to be in the ACC and I think I speak for pretty much all UofL fans when I say that we are really looking forward to our games against Clemson.

That said, I do have some questions for the board concerning our football game at Clemson (on 10/11/14). My tailgate crew and I (5 total) are renting an RV and driving down for the Clemson game this year. Getting to see Louisville play Clemson in Death Valley is something we've all had on our bucket list since the ACC invite was first announced. We've already put in a reservation at the Campus Beach and Recreation Area (no idea if we got one yet) and we've already bought tickets to the game.

Do you guys have any recommendations, advice, or things we should be aware of? I've gotten a few recommendations to eat at the ESSO Club but anything else you could share would be helpful. Thanks.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Better to Drink @ Esso Club..dine later @ Calhoun Corners uP

Jul 4, 2014, 10:30 AM

town (actually on bypass tucked in behind the little railroad station where John Heisman of Trophy fame sneaked out of Clemson early one morn in 1903 for more money from Georgia Tech..plus a % of the gate!)

Welcome Cardinals Fans..and wish that Bridgewater (NOT) was coming tOO so our fine "D" could get some good practice. LOL.

GoTiGERS!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Welcome

Jul 4, 2014, 10:52 AM

I know you guys are big in basketball. But it's nice to have conference members who really care and invest in football too. Here are some general ground rules for joining the ACC Pigskin Association:

1. Must hate Swofford. Non-negotiable.
2. Must roll Tobacco Road.
3. Refer to the SEC as the Sure Everyone Cheats Conference.
4. Bring more than 200 fans to road games (80% of the league).
5. Tailgate like real fans. (No wine and cheese allowed).

If you guys are down with this, you'll do fine. Looking forward to our game!

Re: Welcome

Jul 4, 2014, 1:50 PM

> 3. Refer to the SEC as the Sure Everyone Cheats Conference.

We know a thing or two about having to put up with an in-state $EC opponent. While we probably don't hate the gamechickens as much as the Clemson faithful, we did have a run-in with them back in 1988 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snq4Oau_iDE).

> 4. Bring more than 200 fans to road games.

Hope we represent well. Our group is bringing 5 and I know a lot of other fans are planning on making the trip as well.

> 5. Tailgate like real fans. (No wine and cheese allowed).

We don't do the "guys in ties and girls in pearls" thing at Louisville and our tailgates definitely aren't a "wine and cheese" event.

Instead, we wear t-shirts/football jerseys, play cornhole, drink beer and/or bourbon, and eat tailgate appropriate food (e.g. burgers, brats, pulled pork, chicken wings, etc). Based on what I'm seen of the ACC, we're much more akin to Clemson, FSU, VT than Duke, UVA, UNC in terms of tailgating.

Re: Welcome

Jul 4, 2014, 10:36 PM

Louisville will bring much more credibility to the ACC than Maryland ever did. Should be a great game on the gridiron. Louisville will be far more of a challenge than just about anyone else in the ACC. Clemson will need to bring their A game and be ready for war. In round ball you guys are just far better than us.

uva and unc are definitely wine & cheese tailgates.

Jul 23, 2014, 4:25 PM [ in reply to Re: Welcome ]

I have been to both many times, and there is no doubt about it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do not eat at Calhoun Corners! Its is overpriced and not...

Jul 10, 2014, 1:24 PM [ in reply to Better to Drink @ Esso Club..dine later @ Calhoun Corners uP ]

good. It used to be the best fine dining in Clemson but now its just past its prime.

Sounds like you guys have a good handle on things....

Jul 4, 2014, 11:29 AM

the recreation area where you're parking is also referred to as "The Y Beach" (as in YMCA). Its a nice area on the lake and a terrific view on autumn mornings. Shuttles run at frequent intervals to and from the stadium...just check with a driver for times and locations

Be sure to come early as possible in the AM on gameday. The traffic can be truly intense for big games--and the Cardinals coming to DV will most certainly qualify.

If the weather's nice, you'll have a great visit. Beautiful campus, huge stadium with a big time atmosphere. And don't think twice about speaking to any of the fans--a great ice breaker topic is to mention you absolutely despise the univs of south carolina, north carolina, georgia, and/or duke (somewhat). Clemson hospitality is legendary amongst college football fans, so expect pretty pleasant folks....of course, once the game starts, well....you'll find out.

Don't forget to visit the metro downtown Clemson area along College Blvd. It should take you about, oh, 10 minutes to walk the 2&1/2 blocks stretching from one end to the other....:~)

and be sure to let us know how the trip and visit go

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sounds like you guys have a good handle on things....

Jul 4, 2014, 2:02 PM

Thanks for the advice. I pass your suggestions along to my group.

"metro downtown Clemson"

Jul 4, 2014, 4:17 PM [ in reply to Sounds like you guys have a good handle on things.... ]

I'll give you a point, because I have to believe that was tongue in cheek.

Cemetery Hill.

Jul 4, 2014, 12:12 PM

It's a small grassy parking lot surrounded by trees behind the South stands. The Cemetery is between the lot and the stadium.

Walk by wearing your Louisville gear and just approach the most active tailgate with a large screen projection TV and you'll be offered plenty of food and beer.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Cemetery Hill.

Jul 4, 2014, 2:09 PM

Thanks for the heads up. Look forward to see you guys in October!

RV Advice

Jul 4, 2014, 2:21 PM

When your sh!tter gets full, drive to Columbia and dispose of it anywhere downtown. Trust me, they won't notice it. Might actually make the place smell better. :-D

~JKB

Good luck in the ACC!

Jul 4, 2014, 12:27 PM

We are happy to have y'all.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Good luck in the ACC!

Jul 10, 2014, 11:49 AM

Happy to be be here. I look forward to a lot of great games between our universities.

Re: Louisville fan has a question about tailgating at Clemson

Jul 4, 2014, 12:27 PM

are there any rv hookups at the recreation beach ? just curious

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 10, 2014, 11:51 AM

http://www.clemson.edu/campus-life/campus-recreation/cubeach/gameday-parking.html

Per the website, water is available for RVs upon arrival, but NO power is provided - RVs must be self contained.

Jul 4, 2014, 1:00 PM

1st welcome to the ACC, but I sure that I'm the only person who want the ACC to bring you guys in to the league but also try to keep Maryland too. The main thing you keep to know is try to be early because traffic can get crazy for big games. Have a safe trip. I will be at that game myself.

Echoing what everyone else has said

Jul 4, 2014, 1:47 PM

In no particular order:

- Come early - traffic will be bad coming but more so leaving (depending on how long you hang around after the game).
- In addition to the stuff in town, I encourage you to walk around campus. The stadium is down in the athletic portion of campus but if you walk up the hill, the rest of the campus awaits. In 30 minutes or so you can walk be some of the old buildings on campus (if you do look for the reflection pond, Fort Hill - John C Calhoun's house, and Tillman Hall). On the way you can look at Howard's Rock at the top of The Hill (in the stadium but you can see it through the gate).
- Depending on your schedule, get some Clemson Ice Cream (and/or blue cheese) at the Hendrix student Center
- Dont be a jerk (not implying you would) and you shouldn't have trouble with the fans. That said, every school has some bad apples including (unfortunately) Clemson but other tend to modulate them.
- Generally there isn't any problem with open containers. There will be a lot of cops around though most are for traffic control.
- Make sure you get to the stadium at least 20 minutes before kickoff if you want to see the pregame festivities including the Tigers running down the Hill. It is pretty special to us but others have different opinions - I'll let you be the judge.
- Depending on the game time, the tailgating scene is unmatched (as judged by numerous outside ratings). A second plus is if you tailgate and get there early and leave late, traffic will be better.
- finally yelling "go coc!s" won't help your cause.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Echoing what everyone else has said

Jul 10, 2014, 12:00 PM

> - Come early - traffic will be bad coming but more
> so leaving (depending on how long you hang around
> after the game).

I'm definitely noticing a pattern.

> - Generally there isn't any problem with open
> containers. There will be a lot of cops around
> though most are for traffic control.

Good to know. One thing you guys will learn about Louisville is that people from Louisville like to drink (we are in Bourbon country after all).

Here's a related question. Do you guys sell beer at your stadium? Louisville sells beer at pretty much every athletic event (hard liquor is also available at basketball and football games), but I know a lot of universities don't. Was curious what Clemson's policy was?

> - Make sure you get to the stadium at least 20
> minutes before kickoff if you want to see the pregame
> festivities including the Tigers running down the
> Hill. It is pretty special to us but others have
> different opinions - I'll let you be the judge.

Our group is already planning to do that for sure. We aren't going to drive all the way to Clemson and miss one of the best traditions in college football. I'm really looking forward to it.

No beer inside Death Valley. Sorry.***

Jul 10, 2014, 12:03 PM

Although this doesn't stop people from sneaking in

Jul 10, 2014, 12:06 PM

flasks and mini bottles.

I do not advise this cause it ain't worth getting kicked out for since y'all are making a big trip to come. Just have fun tailgating and then enjoy the game

Whatever you do, always give 100%.....unless it's donating blood

I was going to mention the sneaking in

Jul 10, 2014, 12:13 PM

but figured that would start a whole nother conversation.

Re: No beer inside Death Valley. Sorry.***

Jul 10, 2014, 5:15 PM [ in reply to No beer inside Death Valley. Sorry.*** ]

Be advised though, unlike pretty much every other major stadium in America, Clemson allows passout - ie, you can leave and come back in.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would change "get to the stadium 20 minutes early" to

Jul 10, 2014, 9:24 PM [ in reply to Re: Echoing what everyone else has said ]

GET IN YOUR SEAT 20 minutes early.

:)

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Photobucket

Welcome to God's Country!

Jul 4, 2014, 3:14 PM

First off, we're about as glad to see y'all replace Maryland and definitely looking forward to the return trip up y'all's way.

* If no one mentioned it, arrive early. The one knock against games at Clemson is how quickly the roads fill up. If you arrive early there will already be folks to greet there. If you arrive late, you will miss a lot.

* Don't be afraid to wear your colors. Unless you stumble into the rare rude batch of rapscallions, the first words out of our mouths should be "Welcome to Clemson!" We really DO enjoy sharing Saturdays with guests (a few long-standing exceptions notwithstanding). If you aren't bottle-tossing, trashcan flipping fools, you'll probably be offered more food and beer than a human can ingest.

* If you bought visitor's seats, they're going to be crappy. Sorry ... it's not our fault. But do get inside for the run down the Hill. We love it and love to share it.

* Yes you can go on the field after the game. We do it all the time. It's a great experience that, sadly, few places allow their fans. But we aren't fans. We're family. And while you're here, you're part of the party. Take it all in.

* Ignore the trash-talking capons that will show up on your board a few weeks before the game. They are coot trolls who have nothing to live for but ripping at the fabric of those better than they are.

* If you see a tall doofy guy toting a snake, don't run. Ask him for a beer, or better yet, some strychnine. Perfect for pre-game hollering rehearsal.

Enjoy your visit!

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Welcome to God's Country!

Jul 4, 2014, 8:16 PM

Rapscallion really is a splendid word choice. Point for that alone.

Jul 10, 2014, 12:09 PM [ in reply to Welcome to God's Country! ]

> * If you bought visitor's seats, they're going to be crappy. Sorry ... it's not our fault. But do get inside for the run down the Hill. We love it and love to share it.

Our seats are in the Top Deck on the visitor's sideline at the 50 yard line. If I recall correctly, I think they are in section TDO.

> Enjoy your visit!

Definitely intend to and hope everyone will visit us next year when you guys play up here.

TDO is on the 50 but in the upper deck the row is

Jul 10, 2014, 12:42 PM

Most important. The front row is "A" and from "Z" it goes to "AA" and up. Not sure which row is the top one.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

NN is the top row on the North Side.***

Jul 10, 2014, 9:25 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Photobucket

Jul 10, 2014, 12:43 PM [ in reply to Re: Welcome to God's Country! ]

> > * If you bought visitor's seats, they're going to
> be crappy. Sorry ... it's not our fault. But do get
> inside for the run down the Hill. We love it and love
> to share it.
>
> Our seats are in the Top Deck on the visitor's
> sideline at the 50 yard line. If I recall correctly,
> I think they are in section TDO.
>

Those will actually be good seats. The upper deck is steep and the top row is pretty high, but you get a great view of the game. I think some of the best seats in the stadium are on the lower rows of the upper deck.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You will be high up. Bring some oxygen.

Jul 11, 2014, 10:15 AM [ in reply to Re: Welcome to God's Country! ]

But, you will be able to see Anderson from your seats. :)

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

You'll have a very good view of campus and lake Hartwell

Jul 11, 2014, 10:19 AM [ in reply to Re: Welcome to God's Country! ]

as well as being able to fully grasp the magnitude of how awesome our tailgating scene is

Whatever you do, always give 100%.....unless it's donating blood

Jul 10, 2014, 12:16 PM

Also Clemson fans should look forward to visiting you guys as well.

My Wife is from Louisville and that is where her family still lives. I visit once or twice a year. It is a great city. 4th Street Live is a pretty cool area with bars and entertainment.

I have now been to 2 games at the YUM Center and it is a world class facility. I am looking forward to checking out Papa Johns for a Clemson game in the near future.

null

Two unique traditions at Clemson

Jul 10, 2014, 12:37 PM

1 - Clemson allows you to leave the stadium and re-enter, as long as you have your ticket. There aren't many schools that I know of that do this; take advantage of it if you want to, although you may just want to stay in the stadium for halftime.

2 - After the game, Clemson allows fans onto the field. This is EXTREMELY unusual (the school gets fined for it in the SEC) and is a cool experience, especially if you have kids in your group. A lot of players stick around for photos / autographs and to sing the Clemson Alma Mater. So please, don't assume that we're storming the field after our win over UofL. :)

Welcome come ready to have a great time***

Jul 10, 2014, 8:31 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 11, 2014, 12:16 AM

On behalf of many of clemson nation... welcome... hope you enjoy your visit to clemson as I did visiting the great city of louisville(it was back in '98,but nonetheless it was a great visit!!) Got to visit to grave of ''the colonel'' himself harold sanders. (LOL!! The first thing I ate. When I got there was KFC!!..forgot the name of the mall in louisville tho.) Didn't get to do much because we were for a church gathering that my uncle(to who I don't talk to anymore) was preaching at.. but maybe if I play my cards right I could go back in the years to come... again welcome!!!!!

I would check out the burger joint while you're there......

Jul 11, 2014, 7:20 AM

Hey, you can ride about ten minutes and see most businesses in Clemson. If you take a right coming out of the Y parking lot you will cross the lake and enter CLEMSON. On the right will be the university and On the left will be the Esso club. At the top of the hill, at the light, you turn left to go downtown where most of the bars and shops are. You want to park and walk this small area. It you stay straight at the light, that is Bowman field on the right and Tillman Hall up on the hill. Stay on this road untill you get to Central, about five miles and there is a great Mexican place there. Take a right at that light and it takes you by Walmart on the right and right past it, get right on 123 going back to Clemson. Stay on 123 until you cross the lake again and turn left at the light and you are right back at the Y beach. The big intersection when you get back into Clemson, you would turn right and go under the train track and turn right to go to Calhoun Corners. That same big intersection you turn left to go back to the light at Bowman field and through downtown Clemson. You can ride through our pretty campus on Friday or Sunday ,but not much on game day. The Botanical gardens are nice if you want to walk it. Have a great time in CLEMSON.

Jul 11, 2014, 9:35 AM

My thoughts are

1) Do not tailgate at the YBeach. Just get your shows in gear and stroll across the lake and around the stadium ... tailgate wherever you find sociable folks.

2) Since you are in an RV, show up on Friday if not Thursday. Trying to arrive on game day, while possible, is simply not recommended.

3) Before the game (Friday I suggest) visit Fort Hill then stroll over to Tillman Hall. Reverently examine Bowman Field where John Heisman coached, then pause at Riggs Field where Clemson's first bowl team played then make your way to Death Valley. Seeing all three football fields gives you a good appreciation of why you are at Clemson.

4) On game day I arrive earlier than 20 minutes before kickoff. But ... that's me ... certainly 20 minutes and no later you should be at your seat.

On another note I will visit with coach Petrino's parents before the season begins ... and I've already scheduled us to visit friends at Madison (IN) and attend the game at Louisville in 2015. Welcome aboard to the ACC.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One word of advise ...

Jul 11, 2014, 10:16 AM

Don't let your coach ride his motorcycle here.

;)

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Jul 23, 2014, 4:15 PM

One of my favorite things to do now that the big trees near Memorial stadium have been replaced, is to drive or walk from Fort Hill to the stadium. (It was nice before the stadium view is really open now) Its a short walk (downhill) and it gives you sense a of the grandeur from above. Also the underground nature of the lower decks is pretty dang cool. I attached what the Texas A&M announcers thought about it in 2005.

As you approach the stadium from that direction (east endzone) there is a Memorial for clemson grads killed in battle, that connects to that end of the Stadium. It is really cool and the military history of Clemson is part of the fabric of the region as well. You can get a preview of that here http://earlycommit1.com/clemson360/vtour-fb/tour.html In the bottom right drop down menu click "Scroll of Honor" its a new element on campus but they did a great job with it. Also, the lead architect did a short piece with SCETV that really explains everything. it begins at the 39min mark. http://www.scetv.org/index.php/making_it_grow/show/making_it_grow_11-13-2012/

Moving on to the top of of the Hill. you can see Howards Rock and see how steep that Hill really is. I've never taken a guest there who wasn't astounded. And if you are wondering< "why run down the Hill? its because the field house was not far from there at one time and coming down the hill to the field was just the closest, easiest way to get there. No fanfare just just players coming out the field house for pregame warmups.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

Avoid throwing a football in Lot 1.

Jul 23, 2014, 4:32 PM

There is a knife-wielding maniac present.

I like your style. Welcome to the league and best of luck!

Jul 23, 2014, 4:56 PM

If you run into ol' NutCutterU and ask for a beer, you shall receive a beer. As for any other recommendations, well everybody has pretty much covered the major stuff. Just be cool and you should have a pleasant experience.

Oh, and those upper deck seats. They are incredibly steep. Might want to bring something to tie yourself down. The combination of the steep stands and the field being below ground keeps all the noise inside the stadium making it one of the loudest in the country.

SInce you are in an RV, i would say .....

Jul 23, 2014, 5:11 PM

arrive in Clemson early on the Friday , or even Thursday evening ,, so you can really relax and have a day off....if you cant come early to the Rec campground, then give Twin Lakes a call , they are just two miles or so outside Clemson and have really nice spots at reasonable prices , pretty views , and , again , close to Clemson ...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

plan to arrive in the stadium an hour before the game starts

Jul 23, 2014, 6:49 PM

You don't want to miss our entrance.

2nd, if you need anything, just ask a Clemson fan (e.g. Beer, sauce, lighter, gas, etc.).

3rd arrive at your tailgate spot (if you are arriving on Gameday) at 8am. Otherwise, you'll be fighting traffic.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 23, 2014, 7:08 PM

To give credit where it's due, you will really enjoy game day at Clemson. I only go there when we play them there so not an expert on the restaurants or bars. Before it closed we always ate at Apollo's. Can't remember what's in that spot now but it was pretty good. The best thing about Clemson game day are the actual tailgates. Even wearing my Gamecock gear I have been invited to eat at alot of tailgates there and been treated very hospitably. There is some junk talked, of course, but I would imagine people will be very welcoming to fans from a new conference member. I have fun tailgating at our games but if there is anything Clemson fans have a right to brag about its their tailgating areas. It really is a beautiful, scenic, and peaceful spot. When I go there now I don't worry about the restaurants. Would rather be outside in the lots. If you are in the right area they have lots of shade too. Like I said, not an expert on the businesses but I suggest just mingling with the fans. If they will welcome me with my Gamecock stuff on, I am sure they will be more than pleasant to a UL fan.

Jul 23, 2014, 7:10 PM

Also, don't know where your seats are but, imo, if you are there it is, worth it to hang around outside near the rock and see the players come in off the buses and hear the crowd get in a frenzy. Really cool to see.

Ok, that's about as much nice stuff as I can say about Clemson in one day.

Replies: 46
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic