Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: The reasons why Clemson won't reach 11 wins again in 2014
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 82
| visibility 1

New Story: The reasons why Clemson won't reach 11 wins again in 2014

Jun 30, 2014, 1:22 PM

The reasons why Clemson won't reach 11 wins again in 2014

Yesterday, we told you the reasons why Clemson will have a chance at reaching 11 or more wins for the third straight season; today we take a look at some issues that could prevent them from reaching that number. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I feel a lot of people are about to call Nikki a "coot" for

Jun 30, 2014, 1:30 PM

writing this. You can't bring logic and facts on to T-Net.

I personally agree with this. This team has too much inexperience and has lost too much talent from last year (and not a single functioning RT on the roster) to come close to 10 wins.

I'm thinking there's an outside shot at 9-3 regular season but more likely 8-4.

If this team is inexperienced then lord help us in 2015

Jun 30, 2014, 1:37 PM

because that team is going to be significantly less experienced than this one.

We lose more seniors and more starters from this team then we lost from 2013 squad.

Re: If this team is inexperienced then lord help us in 2015

Jun 30, 2014, 9:06 PM

It could well be a rough couple of years.

Re: I feel a lot of people are about to call Nikki a "coot" for

Jun 30, 2014, 2:02 PM [ in reply to I feel a lot of people are about to call Nikki a "coot" for ]

Nah Nikkis not a coot. She clearly stated that Clemson has had the better team vs the coots but has merely slipped up against them. No YOU are the coot.

Jun 30, 2014, 9:08 PM

Ok. If that's your best argument, who can argue with total ignorance.

Jun 30, 2014, 2:14 PM [ in reply to I feel a lot of people are about to call Nikki a "coot" for ]

What logic and facts have to do with predictions in football? If it were all about logic then underdogs would never win and Las Vegas wouldn't have a market for bettors.

Jun 30, 2014, 9:15 PM

I agree. Anything's possible. But if players haven't shown anything in three years, why expect them to suddenly
do so this year? Let's hope these heretofore do-nothings step up and become stars. I'd love to see it, but my common sense tells me different.

Slumdog has common sense

Jun 30, 2014, 9:17 PM

Who would have guessed?

Watch out people he is about to get on a roll....

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The problem is that you are correct EXCEPT

Jun 30, 2014, 2:44 PM [ in reply to I feel a lot of people are about to call Nikki a "coot" for ]

your pro Coot-sunshine pumping up Old SOS logic and facts just don't fly here.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not sure how you can say we were the better team in recent .

Jun 30, 2014, 3:31 PM [ in reply to I feel a lot of people are about to call Nikki a "coot" for ]

games with the coots??? Obviously not.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Not sure how you can say we were the better team in recent .

Jun 30, 2014, 4:38 PM

Just because the team that you're playing has less talent it don't mean they aren't mentally stronger than you and play sounder fundamentals. I am sure South Carolina don't think Tennessee is more talented than them yet they struggle with the Vols every year. So I don't understand how you came to your conclusion...

Jul 1, 2014, 5:02 PM

How can anyone say Clemson has better talent than the Gamecocks? Carolina defense better. Offense better. Shaw much better than Boyd and I could go on. When Clemson rarely goes up vs an SEC opponent, it is a huge deal, Carolina plays the level of competition every week. This also is partly why Clemson can't beat them. Carolina plays meaner, is bigger and stronger than the Tigers. Anyone who has watched the last five years has to see this. In the spring game, Carolina had three complete offensive lines that were better than Clemson's starters and you are saying Clemson has better talent. I guess NC S tate has better talent than Clemson.

Jul 1, 2014, 11:57 PM

Is your defense going to be better than Clemson's this year? I'm dead serious, looking for a legitimate response. I can't name a single guy left on your defense except that Golightly guy maybe.

Jul 2, 2014, 6:18 AM [ in reply to Re: Not sure how you can say we were the better team in recent . ]

I'm convinced you're only saying Carolina is more talented because your bias as a coot. Connor shaw better than tajh Boyd? He only threw the ball a handful of times a game,so it would appear that way wouldn't it? WRONG. More consistent? Maybe. Less turnovers? Probably. But I mean between Lattimore,wilds and Davis they've carried that offense. Run to set the pass up. No comparison. Last couple of years clemson didn't lose because of a talent disparity but because they couldn't keep their heads on and that has nothing to do with talent. And we punished your offensive line and if I'm not mistaken held mike Davis to a season low in yards. Steve spurrier, as much as I hate him, is a great coach and that led to a few of the early wins against Dabo. Clemson also has played a top sec opponent every year for at least the past ten years and then y'all have only been good for about the past 4 so for the past 4 years we've played 2 top sec Opponents, then you factor in Florida state and that's 3 elite level teams so that's not our issue either. Brag about how many in a row you've won that's fine, but making it seem like you weren't handed 3 out of those 5 by Clemson is blasphemous and you should repent and go back where you belong

Jun 30, 2014, 9:16 PM [ in reply to Not sure how you can say we were the better team in recent . ]

We weren't, and we lost.

Jun 30, 2014, 5:41 PM [ in reply to I feel a lot of people are about to call Nikki a "coot" for ]

Tell um "Coot"!

Jun 30, 2014, 9:04 PM [ in reply to I feel a lot of people are about to call Nikki a "coot" for ]

I totally agree, but you, we are going to get flamed for
stating the obvious. Our Ol is again mediocre, we lack an elite running back, and Cole Stoudt can't run, which makes the read option a non-starter in our offense. This may be Dabo's most difficult year: hopefully 8 and 4. We just have to hang tight, keep recruiting well, and realize that great things are a couple years down the road. We can hopefully avoid blowouts against UGA and FSU, who obviously will have better teams. Carolina will have a better team, but playing them in Death Valley gives us a chance.

Jul 1, 2014, 4:50 PM [ in reply to I feel a lot of people are about to call Nikki a "coot" for ]

Better take notice of what Nikki is saying. Clemson won some big games by hanging on and out scoring three traditional powers in the last six years with Dabo coaching. During this period, he had the biggest playmakers in Tiger history. Did not have the across the board strength to take down the two toughest opponents. This year the only proven players are the front four and Anthony at LB. No one, I repeat, no one on offense. Battle may prove to be a quality tackle, a little undersized, but has potential. Lost the field goal kicker and special teams weak.This means unknowns have to take up a lot of slack. Also, In addition to UGA, FSU AND SC, UNC, GT and Louisville will be hard to beat. Cain't overlook the 'CUSE OR BC in Boston. This year's team no where near last year's group.

Jul 2, 2014, 12:01 AM

Still curious. Who is going to step up for South Carolina? You have a great offensive line, Dylan Thompson proved to be good at times, but looked way better when Shaw could come in and save him at the end of games (which isn't an option now), and Mike Davis is a top 3 RB in the country. But who is Thompson going to throw to? Who is going to make stops on defense? You act like Ellington, Shaw, Clowney, Sutton, and Hampton are just some chumps that can be replaced with ease. Clemson has a ton of question marks, but you are absolutely blind if you don't see a bunch of question marks with your team as well.

Anchor, Norton. Jr-Sr-Jr-Sr-Jr likely starters

Jun 30, 2014, 1:32 PM

seems pretty experienced....

Re: Anchor, Norton. Jr-Sr-Jr-Sr-Jr likely starters

Jun 30, 2014, 2:29 PM

> seems pretty experienced....

Tigers are stacked with JR&SR linemen. So they should know the system and be mature physically. The only caveats are they are not overly talented and for a group this experienced they only have 47 Games started as a group. As a comparison USC is comparable in experience, 2 JRS, 2SRS, 1RSSO. Yet their OL has 105 games started.

For all the experience age wise the Tigers have those same players have been slow to earn starts.

Re: Anchor, Norton. Jr-Sr-Jr-Sr-Jr likely starters

Jun 30, 2014, 9:20 PM

You seem to deal in facts, therefore you must be a coot.

What about #32?

Jun 30, 2014, 1:33 PM

You failed to mention CJ Davidson in that group of running backs. He showed he can play against anybody when he got the ball in the Orange bowl.

Re: New Story: The reasons why Clemson won't reach 11 wins again in 2014

Jun 30, 2014, 1:37 PM

only the o-line is a cause for concern early in season. but I have to believe that by practicing against that d-line on a daily basis will make them salty. sick of prognosticators questioning qb, rb, and wr. stoudt will be fine. deep at wr and rb. defense is just nasty. I expect 11 wins and possibly more. It's better for tigers when they are not expected to roll through. I'll say it again - love tajh, but he was the problem in regular season contests against fsu and usuck. that, and lack of commitment to the run. only loss that matters is Sammy and there will be plenty of weapons.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

agree Sammy hurts there is no way to slide it, as it would

Jun 30, 2014, 1:42 PM

for any team. Its just a cold hard reality.

We have to hope to offset with improved defense (if it isn't improved, then there is some other issue in the program, I believe it will be very good and improved) and consistent, steady offense. Stoudt needs to be who he is and use the tools he has effeciently.

The wild card is the skill, we simply don't know HOW explosive some of these guys will be until the season plays out.

I'm scratching my head at the OL worries. The OL has tons of Juniors and Seniors, returns 3 starters including the Center who honestly filled in great for Dalton last year (which was a head scratcher why Dalton was mentioned, he wasn't on last years team Norton was the center and is back......)

I feel much better with experience on defensive front seven and OL and some young skill and DBs then I would with the reverse. Youth up front on both sides is always a disaster. That's why 2015 actually worries me.

Re: agree Sammy hurts there is no way to slide it, as it would

Jun 30, 2014, 1:51 PM

great point about o-line. just thinking about uga game early. win that one and it's game on. I'm more comfortable this year then last. tajh always worried me.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Re: agree Sammy hurts there is no way to slide it, as it would

Jul 1, 2014, 1:53 PM

I just don't understand how a QB that won so many games and accounted for so many touchdowns would worry you? He turned the ball over sometimes but mostly because he was forcing things. Overall I was happy with our QB play the last 3 years. He played good in the FSU game @ Doak except our defense and special teams couldn't keep them from scoring. He played bad last year in Death Valley but we got behind so quick he had to do something (maybe too much). He wasn't the only reason we lost to ##### last year we had two fumbles on special teams. You people are killing me with your Boyd Bashing. He made mistakes but the whole team were making mistakes in those losses. The only way we will beat FSU and USuCk is if as a team we cut down on mental errors and play tough physical football.....and run the dang ball!

Agree 100% Bennett!***

Jul 4, 2014, 8:46 AM

Jun 30, 2014, 1:47 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: The reasons why Clemson won't reach 11 wins again in 2014 ]

I expect us in the 9-10 win range, but honestly would not be surprised if we ran the tables. Stoudt will be fine. I think he will have built a great rapoir with our WR, backs, and TE's. I expect our RB's to be markedly improved from last year. Our defense is really ridiculous.

The big question mark for me is the Georgia game. With a couple significant OL out due to suspension, can we pull out this win? If so I think we can build some momentum and start to gel on the OL and find our rotation there. FLA St is going to be our toughest game, but if we can come out of the gates and win against Georgia it's going to be a very good season.

Jun 30, 2014, 3:01 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: The reasons why Clemson won't reach 11 wins again in 2014 ]

Good post! You, Sir, have a brain which is missing with some of the other posters. Georgia is suspect in the secondary and qb. USC has a "new" qb and personnel losses from 2013 in a game that we won statistically.

11 - 2 in 2014

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

need to be careful what you wish for with stoudt......

Jun 30, 2014, 3:25 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: The reasons why Clemson won't reach 11 wins again in 2014 ]

fans are quick to point out tajh's flaws and how we'll be better off with stoudt....................if STOUDT was this Godly figure of a QB last year he would've been playing over Boyd.

also need to realize that STOUDT a SENIOR QB didn't "lock up" the starting QB job until A. a true freshman got injured and B. a sophomore got the boot.

Stoudt will be an avg filler until we get the future in at QB and to think he'll lead us to 11+..............even 10+ regular season wins is pipe dreaming

I hope Stoudt proves us wrong but I agree with pheebo on

Jun 30, 2014, 3:27 PM

this one.

Re: need to be careful what you wish for with stoudt......

Jun 30, 2014, 5:25 PM [ in reply to need to be careful what you wish for with stoudt...... ]

I agree.

Someone earlier talked about Tajh under pressure making mistakes, but I also remember Tajh throwing 90+ yard bombs with guys in his face. He wasn't perfect but even Peyton Manning throws picks when people are in his grill. Stoudt will be a good operator of the offense but his arm isn't going to burn anyone like Tajh's. People hate on Tajh too much on this site. He wasn't perfect but man he played tough and he was a winner

Jun 30, 2014, 9:31 PM

I agree. And we will come to this reality very early in
the season.

Jun 30, 2014, 5:53 PM [ in reply to need to be careful what you wish for with stoudt...... ]

Stoudt has been a high quality backup for years. Comes from an NFL QB family so is sure to have a high football IQ. Broke our completion record in spring and regular season games. I'm pretty confident he'll do fine. I actually think he has a fair shot at being better than Boyd who had some questionable decision making at times.

He didn't beat Boyd because Dabo is TOO loyal to players. He had several instance where he kept players in for too long when we had quality backups.

Stoudt was basically a lock for starter this year. Only if Watson came in and was a pure 1/1M stud would he have had a chance to win the starting job. Dabo has to get the best out of his players and competition does that, particularly for an open position. He risk losing future and current recruits if he brings in star players and automatically redshirts them or gives them the nod over seniors. Stoudt (who is a good player) understood he couldn't compete with Stoudt/Watson and got the boot as a result of his reaction to this reality. BTW from all accounts I've heard Watson really may be one of those 1/1M studs however the injury just took him out of contention. Note that we've have several talented freshman QB's explode onto the scene in the last few years so don't be surprised if our 5* is the next.

How do you see him as average when he is a Senior with good size, pedigree, on the field stats, and some of the best experience a backup could possibly have? Heck if our OL is as good or better I think our offense will be better. Remember Stoudt has been practicing with our "new" WR's and may be better off with the younger group, that's HIS 2nd team (now 1st) receiving core.

Jun 30, 2014, 9:38 PM

IMHO, it will depend on our OL. Stoudt is an excellent passer, a classic NFL pocket type. If any of our RB's
can come through as a genuine running threat, then we have a shot. That is assuming that a couple of guys step up at WR. A lot of if's.

Jun 30, 2014, 7:08 PM [ in reply to need to be careful what you wish for with stoudt...... ]

Pheebo, Tajh played because he had more total talent, ie.,passing and running, whereas Stoudt was mainly a drop back pocket passer. We needed both passing and running last year plus Tajh's proven experience. I may disagree with you on Stoudt getting the starting job by default. It is my view that he was going to be the starter and it was not announced early for two reasons, (1) to create healthy competition, (2) to make sure that Kelly didn't leave the team. Watson was going to get plenty of playing time because he was going to be the qb next year. I believe you are selling this team short as there is a lot of talent there.

11 - 2, and 10 - 3 at the worst.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 30, 2014, 8:30 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: The reasons why Clemson won't reach 11 wins again in 2014 ]

Finally, someone with a realistic grasp of the situation...Boyd, god love him, was the main reason for the losses against FSU, as well as the university of sucking coots on more than one occasion.

Jun 30, 2014, 9:23 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: The reasons why Clemson won't reach 11 wins again in 2014 ]

Good points.

Your point about Boyd and 3 & shorts is a good one...

Jun 30, 2014, 1:43 PM

He was our entire short yardage package last year. Im curious to see if we can get those yards consistently this year.

Re: Your point about Boyd and 3 & shorts is a good one...

Jun 30, 2014, 8:10 PM

That my friend is possibly my main concern. We got spoiled on our 3rd and 3,2,1 plays. Taj was a master at getting first downs in those situations.
That was a huge issue in 2010 and 2011.

Re: Your point about Boyd and 3 & shorts is a good one...

Jun 30, 2014, 11:38 PM [ in reply to Your point about Boyd and 3 & shorts is a good one... ]

Definitely a good point...Boyd did an excellent job of keeping the chains moving behind a pretty good line. Hopefully this years O-line can open holes for whoever Clemson has running it, be it the QB or a RB.

Nitpicking, but we have 3 straight double digit win seasons

Jun 30, 2014, 1:44 PM

and FSU is the 4th week of the season. YWIA Nikki

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think we will be better at the QB position this year

Jun 30, 2014, 1:44 PM

Now hear me out before you think this is a bashing of Tajh, because it's not. Tajh is an overall better athlete than Tajh. But Tajh panics and makes a lot of bone headed mistakes when under pressure. Usually leading to a turn over. Plus Tajh put a lot of pressure on his offensive line but going to the big play way to often. Anybody remember Tajh on numerous occasions giving up easy 6 points when trying to throw the ball away. He never could execute that simple act.

Why could we be better? Like Tajh, Cole has a very accurate arm but Cole also is better at taking what the defense gives him. He is a capable leader. And I think he will not hold the ball as long in the pocket making it easier for the o-line to sustain their blocks. Yes, big, long touchdown strikes from Tajh to Sammy are good and exciting But if you want to wear out a defense...take what the defense gives you and March the ball down the field. On 59 yard touchdowns the d-linemen get to jog to the sideline. On a 10 yard pick up the have to jog 10 yards and get lined up for another play.

Re: I think we will be better at the QB position this year

Jun 30, 2014, 1:56 PM

totally agree. and it's ok to critique tajh because he cost tigers games with his head. last year against usuck, tigers pretty much controlled the game. hell, even spurrier said so. he played well against lsu and osu, but it's time to move past those games and let stoudt use a level head and guide us.

in 1997, the Tennessee Vols lost three 1st round NFL picks

Jun 30, 2014, 2:16 PM [ in reply to I think we will be better at the QB position this year ]

Their greatest all-time QB Peyton Manning, CB Terry Fair, and WR Marcus Nash. All 1st rounders. Plus they lost SEC defensive player of the year Leonard Little (3rd round).

Guess what happened in 1998?
13-0 and BCS champions.

You never know what can happen one year to the next. Losing a couple of all-time great players does not always result in a down season the next.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Excellent point

Jun 30, 2014, 10:42 PM

Point!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Jun 30, 2014, 3:49 PM [ in reply to I think we will be better at the QB position this year ]

I somewhat agree and in no way am I bashing Boyd as he was an inspiration to everyone. I've been a Stoudt supporter for 3 years now, but I'm not the coach, so I've supported their decisions at QB. Personally, I feel the same way you do about Stoudt's strengths. It's possibly not as exciting as Boyd's incredible tosses, but Stoudt will find a way to win games. Count on it. Jawja don't know what's about to hit 'em.

Jun 30, 2014, 4:29 PM

All I can say is remember how accurate Will Proctor was suppose to be. I know we all look and see that Stoudt kinda has that Charlie measurements somewhat but he's not him. I really do want him to prove me wrong but I won't lie and say I'm confident

Where did you ever read that Procter had an accurate arm?

Jun 30, 2014, 5:11 PM

Those words have never ever been written or said. But with Cole his completion numbers speak for themselves. And just think back to when Cole did get in games and how he hit receivers in stride time after time. I don't know what arm strength Cole has but honestly tajh's arm strength really isn't that impressive either. Tajh's strength is being a leader and is just a competitor that finds a way to win. I don't think Cole is the prototypical QB for Morris' system but I do think that Cole's strength is that he knows how to be a QB. That may sound like a dumb statement but think about it. He knows how to make his reads, make the throws and take what the defense gives him and he sees the field well. What else would there be in a job description for a god QB?

Jun 30, 2014, 9:48 PM [ in reply to Re: I think we will be better at the QB position this year ]

Neither am I.

Unlikely

Jun 30, 2014, 4:39 PM [ in reply to I think we will be better at the QB position this year ]

Tahj had much more talent/experience to work with (MUCH). Spare me the "x freshman" is going to set all the records in the world speech. Highly unlikely. Peake and Williams MUST improve and make plays consistently, as well as block to reach the level we have had recently. Our RB's are serviceable but unless Gallman is the real deal (and he very well may be but no one has seen him), this is a big drop off from the past three years (watch video of AE and Hotrod picking up blitzes - it is impressive).

Stout is a very accurate passer but does not possess a strong arm. This will hurt his ability to make the big/key throw as often at Boyd. He is a very heady guy (or so it seems) and I don think he will make the right reads but....

Will he have an OL that allows him to stand upright? This OL is as iffy as we have had in a long time. Also, unless these guys exceed everyone's expectations, out running game will suffer, which effects the passing game.

I expect the offense to take a noticeable step back this year - we simply lost too much talent / experience to overcome some level of drop-off. I do think we will move the ball but scoring will likely tail off 20% or so. I am hopeful someone will emerge as a tremendous red-zone weapon but I just don't see it happening.

Future looks very bright but I think we need to be realistic about this year, especially Stout. He is not as gifted as Tajh and is working with less bullets so increased production at the QB spot is dubious in the extreme.

I do think our defense could be significantly better so our overall record/abilities may be about the same.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 30, 2014, 9:46 PM [ in reply to I think we will be better at the QB position this year ]

Good points. But, do we have the OL to sustain this type of game? That's the key. My question is the quality and talent of the OL. Without that, forget everything you said. It's not going to happen.

Jul 1, 2014, 2:30 PM [ in reply to I think we will be better at the QB position this year ]

11 wins might be tough no doubt. However, we are still in the bad ACC. Nine wins are expected given our better talent level. That leaves three games that will make the difference. It will be tough to win at Georgia but not impossible. FSU is a loss. That leaves Scar. Beating Scar this year is a required win. Dabo needs to understand this fact.

An extra game against a 1-AA team makes 11 wins

Jun 30, 2014, 1:46 PM

the same as 10 wins back in the day. Danny Ford had 4-2 loss seasons in a row. That is the second mark to beat after undefeated and a MNC.

The wording in these titles are borderline absurd. This

Jun 30, 2014, 2:13 PM

isn't Wake Forest we're talking about. The predicted over under for Clemson is in the 9-11 range. A pick six here an injury there. 8 wins would be a huge disppointment probably to to a key injury or a qb disaster. 11 wins would be not losing to the teams we shouldn't for the 3rd year in a row, getting a break vs UGA, and winning the line of scrimmage vs USC (like last year) w/o all the turnovers.

We don't need a break against Georgia. It is already a given

Jun 30, 2014, 2:25 PM

"VE VILL BREAK GEORGIA !!!"

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We don't need a break against Georgia. It is already a given

Jun 30, 2014, 5:39 PM

ahhhhh...........no.

Jun 30, 2014, 9:40 PM

UGA is loaded on both sides of the ball. Beating them would be a major upset, which I don't think we'll manage.
But, I love it when we are expected to do little or nothing. I hope UGA is favored by at least 21. Then we go in and beat them. Our defense is the key.

Jul 2, 2014, 12:04 AM

Georgia is also Georgia. Their season won't be complete without stubbing their toe somewhere. It very well could be the season opener.

Are you kidding? This is top notch journalism

Jun 30, 2014, 2:48 PM [ in reply to The wording in these titles are borderline absurd. This ]

I am still waiting on an update to the 3 main reasons why we lose to USC again.

Stay tuned.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It would be okay if it said "will" we win 11 games/my

Jun 30, 2014, 3:04 PM

meaningless prediction. But when the title is "can" we? The answer is yes ... next article.

Jun 30, 2014, 3:00 PM

The OL will have to show it can hold, and we will see what kind of poise Stoudt has since we will be missing some OL for that game.

Jun 30, 2014, 3:34 PM

we have got to have the most negative fan base on the planet. a lot of you have turned into what the coots were a mere 5 years ago. very sad.

Grant is not negative

Jun 30, 2014, 3:49 PM

He holds the card up with determination more now than ever.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Grant is not negative

Jun 30, 2014, 3:51 PM

GRANT is the man. living the life.

Jun 30, 2014, 10:04 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: The reasons why Clemson won't reach 11 wins again in 2014 ]

Is being realistic really negative? I don't think so. We all hope that we win every game, but have the sense to recognize when we have challenges.

Jun 30, 2014, 3:30 PM

I'm feeling a little better about this season than others. Stoudt can be a great QB he handles the pressure and nerves of being in those big stadiums, and if the OL can protect him. Stoudt and G-Hop are going to have great chemistry like they showed last year. I feel good about the UGA game, and can't do much worse with miscues than we did against FSU. Lousiville is going to be a tough game I think with Petrino; luckily, we have them at home this year. SCar game will be a close one and we have them at home too, so all in all I think we can reach the 10 game mark and overachieve with this group. Also looking forward to seeing more of our young studs on D (Ebo, Pagano)
GO TIGERS!!!
JG- Toronto

How do you know he "he handles the pressure and nerves of

Jun 30, 2014, 6:20 PM

being in those big stadiums?" Correct me if I'm wrong, but he hasn't thrown a TD in a big stadium. The only stadium that I would consider big that he has played in is FSU. He was 5-8, which is nice, but that's hardly a large sample size. His completion percentage when he has been in (mostly against weak opponents) has been very good, and I think he has great potential, but I would consider him unproven at this point- again, with good potential.

But I think to say "he handles the pressure and nerves of being in those big stadiums" at this point is wrong.

Kicker, O-Line, RB

Jun 30, 2014, 6:58 PM

Might sound crazy to yall but Kicker is my biggest concern. Maybe our outstanding kicking the last few years has made everyone forget how many games bad kicking can make you lose but I haven't.
2010 Losses
1 Missed OT FG to go to 2OT with Auburn http://espn.go.com/ncf/playbyplay?gameId=302610002&period=0
2 5pt loss with missed FG and punting at the 39, 43, 45 yard lines due to lack of confidence in kicking (well within our range last season) http://espn.go.com/ncf/playbyplay?gameId=302820153&period=0
3 6pt loss with 2 missed FGs, punting on 4th at 37yd line http://espn.go.com/ncf/playbyplay?gameId=303030103&period=0
4 3pt loss, 4down conversion fail at 12yd line, punt on 36yd line, missed FG, http://espn.go.com/ncf/playbyplay?gameId=303170052&period=0
5 5pt game, missed FG, http://espn.go.com/ncf/playbyplay?gameId=303650228&period=0

Don't tell me we shouldn't have won at least 3 of those games

Next will be O-line since this has been an underachiever at times for us. I think we will be ok, except maybe for the UGA game.

Lastly is RB. We really need that bigtime playmaker in the backfield that we know will produce. AE was great and we've had other decent RB's since then but I feel like we've been missing in the RB department since CJ left. I had high hopes in DJ Howard and Belamy(long gone, I know) at one time. I think them failing to reach what I thought they would set us back a little. I want to see thunder and lightning again.

Re: Kicker, O-Line, RB

Jun 30, 2014, 10:12 PM

If you're counting on DJ Howard as our premier running
back then we are in big trouble. He's done nothing, has no lateral moves, runs straight up, and has average speed.
He will do nothing.

I think we lose one of the 3 tough games and it's not USuCk.

Jun 30, 2014, 7:11 PM

I don't understand where the thought of florida state being better than they were last year came from seeing as they lost way more than we did, not saying they will be any less of a challenge they just aren't going to be as unbelievable as last year and they lost nearly their entire defense. I don't think georgia is as good as people seem to think and I think their quarterback is very suspect and they will rely soley on Gurley and Marshall. As far as South Carolina goes, all I have to say is if Dylan Thompson is the starter in Death Valley it will be a double digit win. I love articles like this because its so fun to look back after we beat these "unbeatable" teams. Fsu at doak is without a doubt the most daunting task but with our talent I don't see anyone on this schedule we can't beat if we play like were capable of playing.

Re: I think we lose one of the 3 tough games and it's not USuCk.

Jun 30, 2014, 9:15 PM

You say that you think we are not very good and our qb mason is suspect,but we can say the same thing about your team as well. The two things that maybe a concern is the new 3 off linemen and the secondary.I have no problem with you saying that you think you will win, but to say that you don't think we are very good shows how much you know about our team.

Jun 30, 2014, 10:26 PM

You are apparently a UGA fan. You should be favored as you have the talent to contend for the NC. I think there is a mutual respect between our programs that I certainly
acknowledge. I think you have the better team this year.
Ignore the rednecks on this thread, since loyal Clemson fans are often under attack for raising any question whatever regarding our program. Good luck to both teams.

Jul 1, 2014, 12:56 AM

Hey slum dog, thanks for the comments! I don't know about contending for a NC,but I do think we can have a better season this year than last year. I would hope there is some mutual respect from Georgia fans towards Clemson. I definitely have a mutual respect for your team and the posters on here. I know what your saying about loyal fans it's the same way for Georgia fans also, but I guess all fans are that way about the team they pull for!!

Jun 30, 2014, 10:15 PM [ in reply to I think we lose one of the 3 tough games and it's not USuCk. ]

I totally agree. I love seeing us as the underdog who can do nothing. That's when we tend to shine. I hope DAbo plays this up big-time.

Jun 30, 2014, 8:29 PM

What people aren't seeing is the depth that we have on defense and what it could mean for the offense. We have tons of talented and physical depth on the defensive line. Who is to say that we haven't considered cross-training some of that depth to fill in the gaps and create pressure for starting positions on the offensive line. Not to mention we have at least 8 big and mean ATH classification players on the roster. Who is to say that we won't cross train some of those players to line up at different positions. Dabo Swinney has done it in the past. Let us not forget that VIC BEASTLY wasn't always a DE. Several players have been shifted around. Also, you can line up DJ READER in the back field as well as Jay Jay McCullough. Those guys can block on the right side if RT is such an issue. Our Clemson Tigers are resilient and will adapt and overcome. Have faith folks. We are in good hands.

Our country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race.

~Chesty Puller
Lt.General United States Marine Corps

Jun 30, 2014, 11:00 PM

As we all know, our D-line will be our strength. With an experienced O-line going up against them, it can only make them better...that's not the concern at all. Unproven skill players are the question mark. IMHO, Cole Stoudt will be better than Boyd. While Boyd did great things for us, he was boneheaded at times, and cost us on sloppy mental mistakes. Cole is level-headed, and cool under pressure. He will play smart, and settle for the 10 yard completion, rather than a bomb to try and seal the game. He will also be calm in the pocket, instead of scrambling and creating a turnover. That will relate to us wearing opposing defenses down by marching down the field, controlling the time of possession, and letting our defense win games for us. We have tons of playmakers at Stoudts disposal to utilize, i.e. Williams, Humphries, Peake and Hopper. I look for players like Scott, Thompson, Kitt and Priester to surprise as well. When it comes to short yardage, I see a FB like Kurt Fleming, or a bigger back like Gallman, Dye or Choice being able to punch it in. I also think we can rely on Stoudt to get it out to Leggett, Cooper or Seckinger to utilize our TE's effectively. We will be fine, and I could easily see us beating UGA, FSU and SC. We are one of the most consistent at beating teams we are supposed to an that will continue. Cole will be one of the best leaders we've seen when it's all said and done. Sammy is irreplaceable, but outside of him we've lost nothing that can't be replaced. I'm excited to see this team. There are tons of unproven talent waiting to make their mark.

This story would've of been a lot funnier if I clicked on it

Jul 1, 2014, 5:54 PM

and it said, "Can't think of any..."

Re: This story would've of been a lot funnier if I clicked on it

Jul 1, 2014, 8:41 PM

With due respect to you pessimists on here, the ACC is a joke in football. Losing to Boston College or Syracuse should garner Dabo significant criticism. UNC is a joke in football; we should never lose to them. GT is on the downside ; we better beat them. 9 wins is the minimum and expected every year,

Jul 2, 2014, 6:25 AM

I also don't understand how al the writers can say that not having a defined playmaker will contribute to the team not winning 11 games. I honestly believe the wealth of talent we've amassed has made it where we won't have to depend on one person to do everything. And I'll rather have everybody involved and make it harder to key on one player than to have one player that does everything

Deer Nikki,

Jul 2, 2014, 7:21 AM

See what reading STS does to you?

signed
Razz

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 82
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic