Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Leggett speaks out
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 60
| visibility 1

New Story: Leggett speaks out

Jun 26, 2014, 11:49 AM

Leggett speaks out

Clemson head coach Jack Leggett met with the media for the first time since the end of the season. What does he say about his meeting with athletic director Dan Radakovich? What are his thoughts about next season? Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Interesting point about the psychologist - wonder.....

Jun 26, 2014, 12:03 PM

if it's for Leggett or for the players or both? If he's old school then maybe he needs to learn how to connect with today's players - hope it works.

TNet needs one.***

Jun 26, 2014, 12:08 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Re: TNet needs one.***

Jun 26, 2014, 12:22 PM

Well, I'm not for or against Leggett but this interview accomplished absolutely nothing. According to him, nothing is wrong. This team just needs a little more consistency. What ? Did he not see this team play this year. Poor fielding, terrible base running, shyness at the plate, and yes, poor coaching decisions. Nothing is being changed so, guess what, you will see more of the same next year. His arrogance came out when he said he does not need to go to other schools, schools want to come see him. Hello, that line won't be very long this year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNet needs one.*** I hate to say it but

Jun 26, 2014, 12:27 PM

you hit it "out of the park"!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree ... there are a few on here who still

Jun 26, 2014, 12:33 PM [ in reply to Re: TNet needs one.*** ]

have their heads in the sand refusing to acknowledge that there is a problem with the baseball program. And, I wholeheartedly agree that he is arrogant and stiff-necked.

(Note to those refusing to accept the problems with the baseball program - I have "ignored" you so I won't see your reply)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

And again, there it is, his arrogance

Jun 26, 2014, 12:38 PM [ in reply to Re: TNet needs one.*** ]

I wanna know, what teams are calling wanting to come to him to learn? Eastern Methodist Texas Tech, or some sort? They're def are no credible baseball programs calling on Jack to teach them how to throw ball all over the field, while stumbling and bumbling all over each other. I'm surprised DRad didn't extend him and include some ridiculous buyouts

Jun 26, 2014, 12:43 PM [ in reply to Re: TNet needs one.*** ]

He has had the same issues for several years and hasn't done anything to address them yet.

Jun 26, 2014, 12:44 PM [ in reply to Re: TNet needs one.*** ]

Well said. That interview was a lot about nothing. Each answer sounded about the same.
He also talked about how he loved the University, program etc., but if you'll notice , not one word about the fans.
Also, he is essentially a lame duck which is sad (and bad) for our school and for coach Leggett. It's a lose -lose IMO.

Jun 26, 2014, 1:08 PM

jack was in deny mode about every point drad made. he is so arrogant he can't see the problems that were discussed. however, he made one point I agree with and that was drad should have kept the content of the discussion between he and jack private. nothing changes and we wait till the program implodes or jack finishes out his contract. same stuff different day!

Jun 26, 2014, 1:17 PM

Yeah, I agree with Leggett on that one (And I am suprised that he didn't give the PC "no, i'm fine with DRAD going public with out closed door meetings" response). DRAD had no business going to the media about how the baseball program would be evaluated and had a chance to redeem itself during the playoffs/postseason. And then, to make matters worse, he comments publicly about what the meetings entailed and what improvements needed to be put in place. Leggett or no Leggett, Clemson baseball needs large investment and financial allocation to continue competing as it did during the past 4 decades.

I think Leggett is very defensive right now and probably is not feeling the support he used to from admin and fans. 2015 will be an interesting case study.

Maybe DRad leaked the info to build a case for what must be

Jun 27, 2014, 9:03 AM [ in reply to Re: TNet needs one.*** ]

done next year.We all know JL is not going to change, he is too old and set in his ways. Nor does he believe anything needs changing on his end. Also, many fans don't fallow baseball closely so, maybe he feels he needs to build a case before he lets Jack go.

Jun 27, 2014, 1:52 PM [ in reply to Re: TNet needs one.*** ]

The arrogant jerk will get his due next year when he fails to win enough games . Since Jack sees nothing wrong with the program, how can he fix the real problems?

Jun 26, 2014, 1:08 PM [ in reply to Re: TNet needs one.*** ]

jack was in deny mode about every point drad made. he is so arrogant he can't see the problems that were discussed. however, he made one point I agree with and that was drad should have kept the content of the discussion between he and jack private. nothing changes and we wait till the program implodes or jack finishes out his contract. same stuff different day!

Jun 26, 2014, 2:23 PM [ in reply to Re: TNet needs one.*** ]

Leggett's arrogance aside, I would never want to go public that you're implementing "sports psychologists" and a "4 player council" and that sort of nonsense. Are we a baseball team, or a middle school bullying support group? This is all a big charade if you ask me. Fire him or keep him, just cut out the b.s.

Jun 26, 2014, 2:31 PM

I just want to know that at what point during the interview was the "lip quiver?" Tommy Bowden part 2. Must be all that parity that was created by our fall off in recruiting.

Come on man.That's just mean***

Jun 27, 2014, 9:08 AM

I hadn't even thought about the "lame Duck" thing. your righ

Jun 27, 2014, 8:54 AM [ in reply to Re: TNet needs one.*** ]

This is going to get even worse. He has got to go before it's too late.

Jun 26, 2014, 3:15 PM [ in reply to Re: TNet needs one.*** ]

Well said on all points.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 27, 2014, 8:46 AM [ in reply to Re: TNet needs one.*** ]

you are absolutely corect. Right on my friend. He needed to retire this year. If he had some of the players who went pro would have stayed for a senior season.

hey watch it, I have over 6000 posts so I’ve got a good

Jun 26, 2014, 1:38 PM [ in reply to TNet needs one.*** ]

feeling that I know what I’m doing and about our program does

I heard, "keep learning" and "I've always done it this way

Jun 26, 2014, 1:13 PM

in the same sentence. Which is it? LEarn and change or learn and stay the same? He sounds bitter. Either way, Go Tigers!

yea, and Go Jack, and keep on going to Main or wherever.***

Jun 27, 2014, 9:17 AM

Re: New Story: Leggett speaks out

Jun 26, 2014, 1:25 PM

Good Coaches watch the players they have and play the game to your teams strengths. JL has had the same game plan his whole career. This program will never get back to the glory years as long as JL is the coach.I hope I'm wrong but I really believe next season will be bad.

Jun 26, 2014, 1:46 PM

The only thing I want to hear from Leggett is today I have decided to retire or leave from Clemson University. His time here is over and we as a fan base should want to start a new chapter with the baseball program. And, no I can't for-see the future but I have a better chance at winning the lottery than us winning a National Title as long as he is the coach.

eerily similar

Jun 26, 2014, 1:58 PM

Let me first say, Legget has accomplished eons more than TB, but man, this sounds exactly like a TB speech trying to justify his inadequacy.

Constant BS excuses for failure.

Leggett is a flat out LIAR.....

Jun 26, 2014, 2:17 PM

.....I can name five former GREAT Tiger baseball players that not only do they "dislike" leggett, they don't attend baseball games or support the program in any manner. In fact, TWO are high school coaches that have told myself and others at our football tailgate, they have advised players NOT to go to CLEMSON as the program now exists. One of the players was a really good relief pitcher for the chickens during their World Series title(s). I'm calling leggett out on this. Simply not truthful!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Leggett is a flat out LIAR.....

Jun 26, 2014, 2:44 PM

If former players encouraged others not to play and come to Clemson, then they are NOT Clemson people.. I say your post is BS.

My dad played baseball here back in the 40's when Walter Cox was the coach. No former player should EVER tell someone not to come play. If that is the case they were probably guys who never saw the field and were mad.

Again, I think your post is full of it.

So if you have a kid who has a bright future in the sport

Jun 26, 2014, 2:53 PM

who you've been coaching for at least four years, who is every bit as close to you as your own flesh and blood, you'd push that kid to the school you went to even if you honestly believed he had a better chance to succeed elsewhere?

I love Clemson, but that's ridiculous.

Jun 27, 2014, 8:50 AM [ in reply to Re: Leggett is a flat out LIAR..... ]

Hey, I love Clemson, but coaches and parents have to do what is best for their kids. Poor coaching is not going to get the players, PERIOD. Why do you think the football team is getting players now, as oppose to the Bowden days. Yes, we will always get some players, but coaching makes a big difference. even in Tball, I wanted my kids on some coaches teams and not on other teams. Same thing with pro players from Clemson. You think all pro teams are the same? No way! You have good coaches and bad coaches. I will opt for my kids going where the good coaches are every time.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 26, 2014, 2:53 PM [ in reply to Leggett is a flat out LIAR..... ]

THEN NAME THEM. BS ON YOU.

Jun 26, 2014, 7:03 PM

Here he goes

Re: I have never heard one put it that strongly but, yes,

Jun 26, 2014, 6:51 PM [ in reply to Leggett is a flat out LIAR..... ]

there are some who don't like him.

Jun 26, 2014, 7:17 PM [ in reply to Leggett is a flat out LIAR..... ]

Former Clemson players who were simultaneously relief pitchers for the chickens?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jstone D329 - “ It’s ok to want a coaching change”
Brownell @Clemson: 8 seasons ranked 50th or worse by Sports Reference’s SRS
1-29: Brad Brownell road record against ranked ACC opponents
142, 161, 294, 307, 293, 166, 225, 180, 260, 164, 141, 72, 68 - assist rankings amongst all D1 programs during Brownell's tenure

Jun 26, 2014, 7:32 PM

no he is saying one of the players a former player told not to come to clemson

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 26, 2014, 2:17 PM

We should have an exciting perfect season next year with our perfect coach.

GO TIGERS !

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

After arguing with so many JL supporters on here I've found

Jun 26, 2014, 2:20 PM

myself trying to find reasons to like him but every time I read something the arrogance shines through and he doesn't seem to want to take responsibility for the downturn of HIS program.

The only thing positive I found in this article is that he seems to 100% believe in himself, his coaches, and his players.

I hope he makes the needed adjustments/changes and we win it all next season, but I highly doubt it with him leading the charge.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Having a hard time seeing where he was arrogant. Sounds to me like

Jun 27, 2014, 1:45 AM

you are trying to find ways not to like him.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 26, 2014, 2:36 PM

Hate to say it, but it sounds like SSDD from our coach. Hope I'm wrong.

This is a man that doesn't "get it"

Jun 26, 2014, 2:41 PM

My take on his comments is that he still doesn't think anything is wrong, is only going to talk to other programs and media and players because the AD says he has to. DRad messed up - he should have made a clean break.

Re: This is a man that doesn't "get it"

Jun 26, 2014, 7:04 PM

I totally agree.....he doesn't get it at all.

who's the ginger pudge w the squealers shirt?***

Jun 26, 2014, 2:54 PM

Jun 26, 2014, 3:45 PM

I like Coach Leggett as a coach in many respects, but it is painfully obvious he did not enjoy reporting to his boss, nor having the contents of their conversations made public. He came across in this recording as a man defending a program which clearly needs to be refocused. His comments of always being willing to learn somehow rang hollow, but I will give him the benefit of experience. His expression alone in the photo used for this story says quite a bit in "body language" and his words conveyed a tone of aloofness, perhaps without intending to, but the damage has been done. His earlier remarks toward fans and supporters have clearly had negative fallout which is now making a disappointing season all the more difficult to accept.

Fans are willing to be patient if results reward their support and perceptions of a given program. Coach Leggett needs to invite himself to IPTAY meetings and listen to the varied concerns without a defensive posture and attitude. I certainly hope next season will merit the support his program has been given throughout his tenure or else Clemson will proceed accordingly after a period of seeming decline in the face of challenging competition throughout the schedule.

The times are changing and Leggett has to as well or else.

Go Tigers!

Looks like Jack will be leaving Clemson the hard way.***

Jun 26, 2014, 3:56 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aren't You Assuming

Jun 26, 2014, 4:14 PM

that DRad has the "gonads" to fire Leggett? To date, he has demonstrated that he does not.

Having worked with personnel for over 20 years

Jun 26, 2014, 4:50 PM

I can tell you that DRad has set the table to fire Jack if the set points are not met. You just don't fire a person on a whim and without credible documentation. There are rules and procedures that need to be followed. As aggravated as I get watching Jack Leggett, he needs to be dealt with fairly.

Jack is in denial mode as usual....

Jun 26, 2014, 4:41 PM

When will he come clean admit the truth. He has done a very poor job over the last 6 years and that is unacceptable for Clemson and it's fan base. Fixing a problem starts with admitting you have one. I don't see any change coming until he is gone.

Same ol' same ol'***

Jun 26, 2014, 5:19 PM

Nm

He was great, but is now just a has been

Jun 26, 2014, 5:49 PM

Jack is arrogant, shows it and doesn’t care that he shows it. He thinks he is “above the ‘Clemson’ law”. He is right for now, but will learn in time. In the meantime, Clemson will suffer, and the AD will start to shorten his tenure because of it.

DRad isn't stupid.

Jun 26, 2014, 6:17 PM

Making details of his conversation with Leggett public does three things:

1. It shows the unhappy fans that the Clemson administration expects more.
2. It tells Leggett that he isn't immune, and brings his arrogance down a notch.
3. It gives DRad public license to fire him if he does not meet expectations.

Proverbs 16:18

Re: DRad isn't stupid.

Jun 26, 2014, 6:44 PM

I would imagine that Dabo, Brad and all our other coaches will be very wary about discussing anything that don't want publicly known with DRad. No matter how you feel about Jack, DRad making it public was a huge mistake and reflects very poorly on DRad.

Re: It does reflect very poorly on him.***

Jun 26, 2014, 6:56 PM

Good Lord, when is he going to retire? How much longer?***

Jun 27, 2014, 8:48 AM

Jun 27, 2014, 9:03 AM

Has he ever heard there no I in team. Every thing he says it I'm this and I'm that.. Just saying is all.

This interview confirms Jack will be Jack.......

Jun 27, 2014, 9:24 AM

I don't see him changing his ways.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This interview confirms Jack will be Jack.......

Jun 27, 2014, 9:35 AM

oh he will make a few tweaks but please tell me why someone that has won as many games as he has needs to "change his ways". since holbrook has not won it the last 2 years does he need to change his ways.

if you really want to compare him with Holbrook, what is

Jun 27, 2014, 9:52 AM

Jack's record against Holbrook?

Seems like a fair way to make the comparison....

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Re: This interview confirms Jack will be Jack.......

Jun 27, 2014, 3:51 PM [ in reply to Re: This interview confirms Jack will be Jack....... ]

I am really starting to HATE him...next year will take care of itself. We will have another average year.

Just don't hire Lecroy as HC

Jun 27, 2014, 9:34 AM

once they fire Leggett next year.

It's obvious Leggett is in it for the money at this point

Jun 27, 2014, 8:28 PM

If Drad did to me what he just did to Leggett I would have already resigned. What a circus. "Hire a sports phychologist"??! He's saying you and you players need phychological help, Jack. I would have quit immediately. If I had a boss and he said I needed a phychologist, my #### would not out the door.

Darn auto-correct "out the door"***

Jun 27, 2014, 8:29 PM

Replies: 60
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic