2 chatters in TigerActive Chat   Go!  
Front Page » TigerNet Forums » Archives » Tiger Board Archive

Topic: New Story: Four game stretch might define the season
Replies: 53   Last Post: Jun 25, 2014 8:43 PM by: Sludgemuffin
This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.



[ Archives - Tiger Board Archive ]
Start New Topic
Replies: 53   Pages: 1  

New Story: Four game stretch might define the season


Posted: Jun 25, 2014 8:29 AM
 

 
Four game stretch might define the season

The 2014 Clemson football team doesn't have the luxury of an easy early-season schedule in which to build momentum, facing huge games in Athens and Tallahassee early. But the first four games of the ACC schedule might define Clemson's season. Full Story »



It's how champions are made, don't be skeared.***


Posted: Jun 25, 2014 8:42 AM
 




4 games or 5?


Posted: Jun 25, 2014 8:52 AM
 

I guess you're skipping SC State?


FSU, UNC, NCST, UL = 4***


Posted: Jun 25, 2014 8:55 AM
 

null


Message was edited by: clover65®



We will throttle both UNC and NC State.


Posted: Jun 25, 2014 9:27 AM
 

Without Bridgewater, I'm not overly concerned about Louisville either.

Although Louisville does return several key starters, there’s a new quarterback (Will Gardner) and an entirely new coaching staff. Louisville is also switching to a 3-4 defense made more difficult with the loss of Marcus Smith, Hakeem Smith and Calvin Pryor.

Gardner will have a solid supporting cast aroud him though including Michael Dyer and DeVante Parker.

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.


Re: We will throttle both UNC and NC State.


Posted: Jun 25, 2014 10:04 AM
 

The UNC game worries me the most. The Heels will have one of their best teams in years and Clemson indeed may be emotionally down. Also, in college football, each game has more influence by far that at the next level. It's just a function of player age.

If you play gold, how many times have you let a double bogey, or even a missed par put one one hole influence your score on the next hold upwards. If this can happen to a grown man, how do you think a 19-20 year old kid will react to losing what may be the biggest game of the year to the Noles?


Re: We will throttle both UNC and NC State.

[1]
Posted: Jun 25, 2014 10:06 AM
 

How a win against the possibly #1 team FSU can also turn UNC into a trap game.... win or lose there will be an emotional toll in preparing for UNC... UNC will be fast paced on O as well.....


UNC's defense will be lousy again in 2014.***


Posted: Jun 25, 2014 10:14 AM
 



Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.


Re: We will throttle both UNC and NC State.


Posted: Jun 25, 2014 5:37 PM
 

Clemson should not be overconfident. Louisville will have superior coaching. All though they lost Bridgewater, they return the bulk of a good team from last year with a big coaching up grade.You mention that they start an untested QB, what else is Stoudt? Clemson has a very good front four, average but slow LB group, really bad secondary. Very weak O line ,good receivers and no proven running backs. Special teams average.Louisville if the underdog come game day only because they play at Clemson.


Tell 'em capon


Posted: Jun 25, 2014 7:32 PM
 

Tennessee


Re: We will throttle both UNC and NC State.

[1]
Posted: Jun 25, 2014 8:04 PM
 

You're a moron. There is nothing slow about Stephone Anthony or Tony Steward. Wait, why am I even responding to someone who should be banned already?


This coot is the one that's slow.

[1]
Posted: Jun 25, 2014 8:11 PM
 

IQ probably doesn't go much higher than 80.

HTH your argument


Re: This coot is the one that's slow.

[1]
Posted: Jun 25, 2014 8:38 PM
 

Do ewe thank we're dealing with a Forrest Gump type here? Or is he more of a Karl Childers? Pls help me with this kweshun


Re: This coot is the one that's slow.

[1]
Posted: Jun 25, 2014 8:42 PM
 

No and maybe. Forest gump was slow but also a hero. This guy is no FG.


Re: New Story: Four game stretch might define the season

[1]
Posted: Jun 25, 2014 8:56 AM
 

I take it we are favored against Louisville?


Why no mention of winning all of those games?

[1]
Posted: Jun 25, 2014 8:59 AM
 

Florida State lost some good players and we lost some good players. Florida State has recruited well in the last few years and we have recruited well the last few years. Florida State has some good coaches and we have better coaches. The last 2 times we have played in Tallahassee and had a senior qb in his first year starting, we have come back with a win.


Re: Why no mention of winning all of those games?

[1]
Posted: Jun 25, 2014 9:08 AM
 

we are due for a good game after last year's outing


Re: Why no mention of winning all of those games?

[2]
Posted: Jun 25, 2014 9:10 AM
 

I would also like to point out a fact about FSU.... Not only did they lose talent more so than Clemson did on both sides of the ball, they were subject to investigation about play call scouting the past few seasons. If you will notice, FSU D-Coordinator had an immediate answer for Clemson's Offense last year. Well... Except when Cole Stoudt entered the game. 6 plays later we had another 6 points on the board and FSU's defense seemed lost and confused. If you don't believe me then watch the film. I was at the game and watched every second of it regardless of the agony I was feeling. It could be that Stoudt was the better man for the job, but I think they used a different scheme for Stoudt and the FSU defense struggled to figure it out. Then again, it could have been a little of both factors in the equation. Stoudt is known for keeping the tempo high and just moving the chains. While Boyd wanted the deep ball pass, and would often under pressure force a play that would cost us a turnover. Stoudt will take what the defense gives him... I think we may shock the nation in Tallanasty next year... Nobody expected Auburn to be in the big game. They were 0-8 in conference play in the previous season. They didn't recruit the number 1 class, they just used what they had and played basic football. Expect a Natty Championship opportunity this season. We have more talented depth and maturity on both sides of the ball. Expect next season to be rough defensively.

Our country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race.

~Chesty Puller
Lt.General United States Marine Corps


Bottom line last year was that we made so many


Posted: Jun 25, 2014 9:17 AM
 

mistakes that gave FSU easy points and took away our possessions so we had fewer chances to score. Remove errors and the big difference in the score would have put us in the game at the end. Stop turnovers and we have a chance.


Re: Bottom line last year was that we made so many


Posted: Jun 25, 2014 10:09 AM
 

Joyner... the author of 3 of the TOs including the 1st 2 is gone to the NFL!


Re: Bottom line last year was that we made so many


Posted: Jun 25, 2014 10:13 AM
 

FSU's defense dominated Clemson's offense. The turnovers, for the most part were a direct result of good plays by FSU. I can see favoring them by 17 although I think we'll fare much better this season.

That said, FSU is favored because a) they return their starting QB and Heisman winner as well as most of their OL, who performed very well last season. b) While they did lose some key players on defense, their back ups played a good number of snaps and were almost all top 10 recruits. A couple of their back ups were top recruits nationally and would have started for almost any other team.


Re: Why no mention of winning all of those games?


Posted: Jun 25, 2014 9:43 AM
 

Or it could be that FSU had all of its starters out....come on man you're grasping at straws!!!


Re: Why no mention of winning all of those games?

[2]
Posted: Jun 25, 2014 10:45 AM
 

Those same backups that Cole Stoudt faced last year, and scored at will against, will be the same that he faces this year. This year, the FSU O Line will be triple teaming Vic Beasley and Tavaris Barnes will wreck Winston... Not to mention our LB Corps will be in great shape. If they try to run the ball then Grady Jarret and crew will be ready up the middle. Add that in with a secondary that is seasoned and ready to go with Alexander.... Keep in mind too that our true freshmen DB had quite a few interceptions and great tackles for loss in open space on the outside. Curtains for Winston and crew.

Offensively we have a RB by committee that is pretty decent. Over 5 eligible RB that can either outrun you or run you over...

Speed Backs are: DJ Howard, CJ Davidson, Wayne Gallman, Tyshon Dye, Zac Brooks.

Power Backs: Kurt Fleming, Jay Jay McCullough, and DJ Reader (IF NEEDED). After all Reader is Number eligible.

WR Corps is a little different without Sammy, but it will be to our advantage because they have not a clue who the pass will be intended for. Take that concept with the fact that Stoudt is better at check downs and runs a faster tempo because he will take a 4 yard gain over an interception any day. Adam Humphries will be getting a lot of business along with Charone Peak who has been plagued with injuries for 2 seasons. A fact about Peak that most do not realize is that he was rated higher than Sammy as a recruit. He red shirted and then was injured for 2 seasons. However, he fought for a medical redshirt and was granted 2 more seasons of eligibility. Factor in Germone Hopper, Mike Williams, Artavis Scott, Demarre Kitt, and you have a nice WR corps.

TE positions are loaded with talent that can block for Stoudt and catch a pass with breakout speed.

FSU is going down this season. We will keep throwing the punches until they fall.

Our country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race.

~Chesty Puller
Lt.General United States Marine Corps


Re: Why no mention of winning all of those games?


Posted: Jun 25, 2014 8:43 PM
 

> > Well... Except when Cole Stoudt entered the game. 6
> plays later we had another 6 points on the board and
> FSU's defense seemed lost and confused. If you don't
> believe me then watch the film. I was at the game and
> watched every second of it regardless of the agony I
> was feeling. It could be that Stoudt was the better
> man for the job, but I think they used a different
> scheme for Stoudt and the FSU defense struggled to
> figure it out. Then again, it could have been a
> little of both factors in the equation. Stoudt is
> known for keeping the tempo high and just moving the
> chains. While Boyd wanted the deep ball pass, and
> would often under pressure force a play that would
> cost us a turnover. Stoudt will take what the defense
> gives him... I think we may shock the nation in
> Tallanasty next year... Nobody expected Auburn to be
> in the big game. They were 0-8 in conference play in
> the previous season. They didn't recruit the number 1
> class, they just used what they had and played basic
> football. Expect a Natty Championship opportunity
> this season. We have more talented depth and maturity
> on both sides of the ball. Expect next season to be
> rough defensively.



Chesty - that is some of the funniest stuff I've read on here in awhile. I had to go back and look at the play-by-play for that game because I couldn't remember what you were referring to about Stoudt.

You must be the king of positive spin because "When Cole Stoudt entered the game" there was 4:41 left to play and the score was 51-7. I think "FSU's defense seemed lost and confused" because, again, there was 4:41 to play and the score was 51-7.

Good stuff.


Re: Why no mention of winning all of those games?


Posted: Jun 25, 2014 5:39 PM
 

How CAN you compare Clemson to FSU.They beat you last year 51-14. They return a better team than Clemson this year.


Tell 'em capon


Posted: Jun 25, 2014 7:33 PM
 

Yet, after 63-17, you thought you would win


Re: Why no mention of winning all of those games?

[1]
Posted: Jun 25, 2014 8:41 PM
 

Because this is a Clemson message board and we can do what we wish. Please get a life and go away for your own sake.


Who will Florida State, Florida State to this year?


Posted: Jun 25, 2014 9:23 AM
 

How's that for a story line?


Re: Who will Florida State, Florida State to this year?

[1]
Posted: Jun 25, 2014 10:13 AM
 

What does that even mean?


Only the UGA game will defind the season.


Posted: Jun 25, 2014 9:45 AM
 

The first game will defind us as great or a good team. If we go into uga and win big (10 or more pts ) then we will high for the next two weeks SCstate and open date,

If we lose, we will be looking at another qb starting and doubt will set it.

the uga game set the stage for the rest of yr period. FSU will be a close miracle if we win there. If we beat uga we have a slim chance, if we lose to uga, it could be uggly at fsu.

We will take care of UNC at Clemson unless we are playing against the refs too.

We should beat UGA,NC,USC. FSU ?.


Re: Only the UGA game will defind the season.


Posted: Jun 25, 2014 10:20 AM
 

Unless he's a deer in the headlights, losing the UGa game won't cost Stoudt his job. A win against the Dawgs in Athens by 1 point will be a huge lift. Margin of victory is always nice, but not critical here at all.

UGa is the first game and only the first game. It will impact player morale in the short term and certainly will skew what the "experts" have to say, but our staff will work diligently to have that game our of our guys heads by the time we travel to Tally.

UNC will be much tougher than you believe. CU should win that game, but it won't be a cake walk and if we are either down or overlook them, we could easily lose. It is the definition of a trap game.


Re: Only the UGA game will defind the season.


Posted: Jun 25, 2014 11:39 AM
 

agreed, the UGA game will define Clemson's season. just do not see any scenario where CU wins. how badly the Dawgs win will also effect the remainder of your schedule.


Get your meds ready... or whatever you use.***


Posted: Jun 25, 2014 11:53 AM
 




Re: Only the UGA game will defind the season.


Posted: Jun 25, 2014 12:09 PM
 

The Clemson loss will define your season. The firing of Marky Mark will soon be upon you.


38 - 35***


Posted: Jun 25, 2014 2:58 PM
 




Re: Only the UGA game will defind the season.


Posted: Jun 25, 2014 7:12 PM
 

We will not lose to the dawgs. Defense wins games and we will crush your offense. Gurley will have worst day ever !


Re: Only the UGA game will defind the season.


Posted: Jun 25, 2014 5:41 PM
 

All losses if you really follow all teams mentioned.


Tell 'em capon


Posted: Jun 25, 2014 7:34 PM
 

BTW....USCheat will never win a conference football championship.


Re: Only the UGA game will defind the season.


Posted: Jun 25, 2014 8:06 PM
 

Do you not have a life AT ALL?


Grady Jarrett


Posted: Jun 25, 2014 10:09 AM
 

...is being held in the cover photo for this article (both hands). "Great" coaching I guess ;). I don't expect him to allow this to happen this year.


Re: Grady Jarrett


Posted: Jun 25, 2014 12:11 PM
 

A great picture that sums up the whole game for me. Wonder if our coaches could teach our linemen how to do that?


Re: Grady Jarrett


Posted: Jun 25, 2014 5:18 PM
 

are you kidding me FSU is notorious for holding, it happens every year.


Anyone remember the "Death March" a few years back?

[4]
Posted: Jun 25, 2014 10:21 AM
 

Oh noes! We're doomed!

Clemson has to face defending national champ Auburn, then go on the road to perennial power VTech ... at night, even ... THEN come home to play FSU!

It's just not fair, I tell ya! If we can get one win out of that stretch, we should consider ourselves lucky!


Anyone else remember those comments? I do. I wish I had archived those posts. A bigger bunch of whining ninnies I can't recall.

Yes, it was a brutal stretch of games ... brutal for the hopes of three other teams.

This time around, frankly, I expect nothing less. I have no reason to believe that Clemson will falter in Athens. I have no reason to fear the crab crew in Tally. And I SURE ain't skert of Goat Boy.

If we are Clemson, and we play to the talent we possess, I cannot see any reason we do not end September without a blemish.

It's not a trail of torture. It's a banquet table of opportunity. Belly up to the bar and drink your fill, Tigers. This is going to be good.


I know this statement is out of context but still...


Posted: Jun 25, 2014 10:42 AM
 

"...faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin..."


But if we don't act scared, we won't win all those games.


Posted: Jun 25, 2014 10:44 AM
 

;)


Pretty sure order was Aub-FSU-VT not Aub-VT-FSU***


Posted: Jun 25, 2014 12:16 PM
 




See? That's why I ask if anyone remembered it!***


Posted: Jun 25, 2014 4:04 PM
 




Re: Anyone remember the "Death March" a few years back?


Posted: Jun 25, 2014 1:49 PM
 

Exactly, and I sure don't think that its going to be as drama filled as David just laid out there. And I'm positive we haven't won 32 games the last 3 years with a 2 man team!!!


3 games will likely define the season: UGA, FSU, & SCAR.***

[1]
Posted: Jun 25, 2014 10:38 AM
 




Re: New Story: Four game stretch might define the season


Posted: Jun 25, 2014 10:50 AM
 

The best way to view this season, and our oponents is play one game at a time. Go into that weeks match up with the whole team on the same page and well prepared. Play the best players in every position, and.have your back ups / rotation ready to go. No turn overs and strong D, along with a good performance by the offense will put numbers in the WIN column !


Re: New Story: Four game stretch might define the season

[1]
Posted: Jun 25, 2014 11:26 AM
 

David, do you think you could have put just a tad more DRAMA to your blog. Come on man, you surly can do better than that. I mean it sounds like Clemson gets no credit, just b/c we are starting true freshman across the board. Or that is the way your blog is sounding. OK, maybe not all true freshman, just 2 star sophomores. But it is hard to believe that Tajh and Sammy carried our Tigers to 3 10 plus win seasons. I wish that Dabo and staff would have put some time into recruiting so we could just reload like FSU, UGA, Coots, UNC, and Louisville has done. Just maybe we would have a snowball chance in h&ll of beating those teams. Oh well, chit happens, and then we will fall back in it. We should just fire our entire staff for not proving to us that they can recruit with the best of them and win against the best of them....


Wait, I the last article reduced everything down to 12 games.


Posted: Jun 25, 2014 1:18 PM
 

So now it's only 4? At this rate, the next article will be about 1.33333 games.


I am SOOOO relived


Posted: Jun 25, 2014 5:34 PM
 

that we are discussing playing teams we should be concerned with beating...remember a few years back before Dabo took the helm? I was sweating every week


Re: I am SOOOO relieved


Posted: Jun 25, 2014 5:36 PM
 

Yep...you know what I meant. RELIEVED...


Replies: 53   Pages: 1  

TIGER TICKETS

FB GAME: Season Tickets
FOR SALE: Two lower level tickets section L and parking pass...$2000. Email of Tmail me if interested. Go Tige...

Buy or Sell CU Tickets and More in Tiger Tickets!

[ Archives - Tiger Board Archive ]
Start New Topic
3683 people have read this post