Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Deshaun Watson...How special can he be?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 40
| visibility 1

New Story: Deshaun Watson...How special can he be?

Jun 23, 2014, 8:26 AM

Deshaun Watson...How special can he be?

The questions surrounding freshman quarterback Deshaun Watson will continue to grow once fall camp arrives, but one of his high school coaches thinks Watson will handle whatever comes his way. What games stand out? How did Watson shine, even in a loss? Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why ask, "Will he play this season?"

Jun 23, 2014, 8:38 AM

Yes, we only have 3 total qb's on the team. They will all play.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why ask, "Will he play this season?"

Jun 23, 2014, 9:18 AM

Correction, we have 4 with the Stanford transfer.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race.

~Chesty Puller
Lt.General United States Marine Corps

Jun 23, 2014, 3:58 PM

Clemson has 3 veteran QB's in front of him why waist a year if he not going to start he should sit and red shirt unless they loose a QB due to injury

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree, redshirt unless bulked up and needed***

Jun 23, 2014, 10:12 PM

Jun 23, 2014, 12:00 PM [ in reply to Why ask, "Will he play this season?" ]

I just hope he has bulked up some. God knows, we don't want him getting injured.

Jun 23, 2014, 2:47 PM [ in reply to Why ask, "Will he play this season?" ]

Neal,why do you have a pic of a murderer when your
handle is displayed? Are you sick?

Jun 24, 2014, 8:54 AM

He also has a gamecock Trans Am?????

What is the first day of fall camp?

Jun 23, 2014, 8:39 AM

What day do the players report?

Re: New Story: Deshaun Watson...How special can he be?

Jun 23, 2014, 8:58 AM

Deshaun Watson will play early and often through out the season. A kid of this caliber will be prepared to take the main stage. In my opinion he is of the caliber of Sammy when he stepped on campus. Watson will eventually over take the starting job from Stoudt. He fits what Chad wants in his QB. Look what the QB did at Auburn last year and half the time he was inaccurate passing. Deshaun can run and pass equally. We have been waiting on the QB of this caliber for a long time. Sit back, buckle in, and get ready for an awesome season.

Jun 23, 2014, 10:08 AM

5 with Mckaskill. I see him playing the role this year that Tebow played Chris Leak's senior year. This is Cole's team, but Watson will be used to make an impact.

Watson will play but Stoudt will start 'till the end

Jun 23, 2014, 11:27 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Deshaun Watson...How special can he be? ]

Unless Stoudt doesn't live up to his promise from what we've seen so far or unless he gets injured, I doubt coaches will push him out of the starting slot.

I guess another situation that might change things is if our O line cannot keep him protected well enough or give him enough time, we might see more of Watson because of his nimbleness. If it's bad enough, maybe you swap starters.

Re: Watson will play but Stoudt will start 'till the end

Jun 23, 2014, 11:49 AM

I agree, our offensive could dictate how soon and how often Watson plays.

Live up to his promise?

Jun 23, 2014, 5:00 PM [ in reply to Watson will play but Stoudt will start 'till the end ]

What promise is that?

Re: Live up to his promise?

Jun 23, 2014, 9:30 PM

To go in 15 pounds underweight, and get injured.

Jun 23, 2014, 12:31 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Deshaun Watson...How special can he be? ]

He may well be "the caliber of Sammy" but playing QB is an order of magnitude more difficult than WR. that said, your last sentence is all that matters anyway! GO TIGERS!!

Shines as a frosh starter in Georgia state championship game?

Jun 23, 2014, 10:41 AM

Wow! Now hearing that has got to make you think that his maturity could help him do the same thing at his current competition level.

Of course, high school is not college, but the level of pressure on a 14-year-old then probably translates well to what he might face and how he might perform if he started a game this year for Clemson as a true freshman.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Shines as a frosh starter in Georgia state championship game?

Jun 23, 2014, 10:46 AM

Is he the type of young man that does great things the more pressure he gets and the higher the stakes become ? If so , Clemson is in for a successful run offensively because this guy looks like butter on the run and makes great throws. He doesn't ever look rattled from what I see in film of him .
Go Tigers

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Gainesville won the state championship in 2012, not Watson's

Jun 23, 2014, 11:02 AM [ in reply to Shines as a frosh starter in Georgia state championship game? ]

freshman year in high school. I believe it was his junior year when they won the state championship.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Reading it again, I think you're correct. Still ...

Jun 23, 2014, 12:45 PM

he was a starter on his team as a 14 year-old freshman and played a major role in their success for his entire HS career.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But GA doesn't have your average high school ball

Jun 23, 2014, 11:31 AM [ in reply to Shines as a frosh starter in Georgia state championship game? ]

either. I read somewhere that the state produces a better than normal number of linemen that play in college compared to most other states. At the division Gainesville plays there are some decent defenses especially by size. Sure, high school and college are different, but it's fair to say Watson has been about as tested as he could be coming into Clemson.

Then he got injured in his final game as a senior and lost

Jun 23, 2014, 10:11 PM [ in reply to Shines as a frosh starter in Georgia state championship game? ]

and injured again this spring - needs to bulk up before he plays in live action again - hopefully he will have more bulk in the Fall, but if not - needs to redshirt just like Winston, Tajh and Johnny FB

Quaterbacking 4 to 5 thousand plays in high school with

Jun 23, 2014, 11:47 PM

him running about 25% of the time and getting hurt ONE time is a pretty incredible feat. I think that the coaches KNOW that he will be just fine if they need to play him. Heck, 300+ pounders get hurt practically every game so bulk doesn't mean you are not going to have injuries, just part of the the game.

Re: Then he got injured in his final game as a senior and lost

Jun 24, 2014, 9:11 AM [ in reply to Then he got injured in his final game as a senior and lost ]

Why would gaining weight keep him form getting hurt?

Dabo has already confirmed that he WILL play this season.

Jun 23, 2014, 11:33 AM

He stated in an interview not too long ago that he needed to get as much experience as he could this year and that he would be playing.

Hot Dog!!!! Spot The Dang Ball...

Jun 23, 2014, 11:53 AM

nm

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Probably a recruitment promise by Chad, but they did not

Jun 23, 2014, 10:18 PM [ in reply to Dabo has already confirmed that he WILL play this season. ]

know he was so injury prone and Dabo also said he has to bulk up, so if he doesn't that will be excuse to break promise for his health's sake!

How about let him play a game before we figure out how

Jun 23, 2014, 1:01 PM

great he might or might not be.

Did any of us have any real idea about Sammy until after his first seaons on the field?

I'm afraid that just like everyone was looking for the next Michael Vick after he emerged at VT, everyone is looking for the next Jamis Winston.

I'm more impressed by 2015's OL than Watson. Once we get the D and O in sync and anchored by great lines on both sides of the ball, the rest will take care of itself.

And how about letting Stoudt get a full 60 minutes

Jun 23, 2014, 1:28 PM

before deciding he will be replaced by Watson before the end of the year.

Agreed.

I think we'll know after 30 in Athens... I'm confident.***

Jun 23, 2014, 1:30 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think we'll know after 30 in Athens... I'm confident.***

Jun 23, 2014, 9:38 PM

Yeah, once he's knocked out of the game, perhaps for the season. He needs to play at around 220. But he$$, throw him in there as is. He didn't even make it through spring practice without being injured. It might be feasible if we had a decent S&C program, but that's highly debatable.

Re: I think we'll know after 30 in Athens... I'm confident.***

Jun 23, 2014, 10:09 PM

Watson reminds me a lot of Charlie Ward from FSU...Ward was 6'1" 195 lbs....RS freshman Trevor Knight from OK, who schooled Bama in the Sugar Bowl running a very similar offense to ours is only 6'1" 201 lbs. If Watson puts on about 10 lbs over the summer (a very do-able amount of weight) he will be about the same weight, if not bigger than those guys.

"...feasible if we had a decent S&C program, ..." WE - DAWGS

Jun 23, 2014, 10:23 PM [ in reply to Re: I think we'll know after 30 in Athens... I'm confident.*** ]

right slumdog at 22% talking about your dawgs" "S&C" program - watching our conditioning in the LSU, GA. and OSU games, I say we have one of the best conditioned team in CFB!

Re: And how about letting Stoudt get a full 60 minutes

Jun 23, 2014, 2:07 PM [ in reply to And how about letting Stoudt get a full 60 minutes ]

I think it will depend more on the win/loss record and not exactly how Cole plays. He might play really well but if we still end up with a couple losses before the end of the year I think Watson will start or at least split time evenly with Cole. A loss to UGA and FSU and really all we have to play for is beating the coots.

Re: And how about letting Stoudt get a full 60 minutes

Jun 23, 2014, 9:28 PM [ in reply to And how about letting Stoudt get a full 60 minutes ]

Even if he's playing poorly? What's your reasoning?

Jun 23, 2014, 2:20 PM

I hope we do not have to find out this season. I think Stoudt will have a great season.

Watson

Jun 23, 2014, 3:30 PM

Potential wise...

He could be the best ever (at CLEMSON)...and we've never
, never had anyone like him.

I will be very happy if can do as well as owner of #4!

Jun 23, 2014, 9:50 PM

Run, throw, and smartest I have seen......A LEADER and a WINNER!

RED SHIRT

Jun 23, 2014, 10:15 PM

For the sake of recruiting and the future of the program... Go Tigers

Jun 24, 2014, 6:46 AM

Stay Tune! What is spoken about his size and condition is already in progress and progressing more as we speak. Have anyone seen his recent pic without a shirt. He being to look like a mini Vic Beasley. Especially in his upper body area. The additional 10pd of Muscles are already there and growing. The kid is going to be like a Patton Manning with power and wheels once he gets his opportunity to shine. Stay Tune!

He can be great ... & it takes a team to win a championship

Jun 28, 2014, 2:46 PM

We have somewhat been down this path with Willie Korn who was ranked the #1 recruit in the nation at some point in his senior year of high school. Willie had no blocking at CU, and the rest is history. Deshaun should fare much better with the much better line recruiting at present. But let's let him play a down before we anoint him the next Heisman winner.

Replies: 40
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic