Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Leggett defends his program, discusses his future
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 46
| visibility 1

New Story: Leggett defends his program, discusses his future

May 31, 2014, 7:46 PM

Leggett defends his program, discusses his future

Following Clemson's 6-4 season-ending loss to Xavier Saturday afternoon, Clemson head coach Jack Leggett answered questions about his future and the future of the program. What does he say about his future? What are his thoughts on the direction of the program? Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

D-Rad must fire Jack Legg quickly

May 31, 2014, 7:54 PM

...just like a gangrenous limb must be amputated to prevent spread. Unfortunately, Jack Legg is arrogant, entitled and delusional and will never go "quietly into this good night". When it is going to be UGLY, get it over with.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think Jack's answer is telling. I would think that the

May 31, 2014, 7:54 PM

answer to the question "Will you be back next year?" should have been, I want to come back next year and coach these kids. His answer is telling of his arrogance 'I have been here for 21 years and I have a good track record.' blah blah blah. It is an honor and privilege to coach at Clemson, not my track record typical answer.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, it sounds more like he's saying he's entitled to

May 31, 2014, 8:03 PM

coach here but maybe I'm reading that wrong. I'm most curious as to what our players think needs to happen to right the ship.

Re: Yeah, it sounds more like he's saying he's entitled to

May 31, 2014, 8:08 PM

Fact that he's the head coach and said it will take awhile to figure this one out... When responding to what needs to be fixed is of great concern!!!!!
Just not a fan

Re: I think Jack's answer is telling. I would think that the

May 31, 2014, 10:52 PM [ in reply to I think Jack's answer is telling. I would think that the ]

I'm not a BB fan, but this was an inferior team that should have never been in the playoffs. Result: humiliation, something we've had enough of lately.

Re: New Story: Leggett defends his program, discusses his future

May 31, 2014, 8:14 PM

In Leggetts 20 plus seasons as head coach, the tigers have reached 40 wins in all but 4 of those seasons, and in two of those seasons Clemson won 39 games. In the two sub-par seasons, the Tigers still had a winning record, including this year (35 wins) as well as a 31 win team. Every team has made the postseason except for the 31 win club. Beyond reaching the 40 win mark with amazing consistency, the Tigers have had many outstanding seasons, winning over 50 games and reaching the college world series multiple times, In Jacks tenure as head coach the Tigers have been more than just competitive, they have been among the elite programs out there. I realize theres always going to be a small but loud percentage of fans who seek the slightest thing to complain about...but I wonder how many of the negative fan comments are actually posers from other schools who wish to ruin a good thing for Clemson?!?!?!?!?!

May 31, 2014, 8:15 PM

Uh, there are more than 5% unhappy fans Jack.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It is simply not possible you are that far out of touch with reality

May 31, 2014, 8:18 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Leggett defends his program, discusses his future ]

Bobby Bowden was without question one of the best coaches in the history of college football, however the last 5 years of his tenure saw a sharp decline

Re: It is simply not possible you are that far out of touch with reality

May 31, 2014, 8:20 PM

In talent, motivation, and innovation. We are in that period with Leggett. He peaked and we are on the backside. You can cling to the hand grenade king of college baseball, but he will never win another meaningful game at Clemson University.

May 31, 2014, 8:31 PM [ in reply to It is simply not possible you are that far out of touch with reality ]

Seemsto me that a few years after naming a new coach...FSU became nstional champions and ACC champs.....something to think on.

May 31, 2014, 9:16 PM

Good parallel. We certainly support a school and a new AD with a spectacular track of making the big hire to fill coaching needs. Can't wait to find out who the Paul Johnson of college baseball if you mouth breathers get your way.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jstone D329 - “ It’s ok to want a coaching change”
Brownell @Clemson: 8 seasons ranked 50th or worse by Sports Reference’s SRS
1-29: Brad Brownell road record against ranked ACC opponents
142, 161, 294, 307, 293, 166, 225, 180, 260, 164, 141, 72, 68 - assist rankings amongst all D1 programs during Brownell's tenure

Ha...

May 31, 2014, 10:48 PM

So, you trust the coach who is sinking the program to well below the historical Clemson baseball standard but not the AD, who as of yet hasn't really earned a good or bad rep here? Further still, Paul Johnson has won the Coastal division in 3 of his 6 years and beat our own Tigers in the ACCCG... I'd call that a solid hire for GT football which has crappy facilities, not much history, and mediocre fan support... that's a weak, weak argument... Do better.

GT has no history.........Really?........LOL

May 31, 2014, 11:02 PM

Can't stand them, but trust me, they do have a history!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: GT has no history.........Really?........LOL

Jun 1, 2014, 1:56 AM

That's part of the problem. The loudest complainers are children who have no sense of history. Ga Tech has a ton of history and a more recent national title than Clemson. Paul Johnson is an unqualified disaster as a head coach. The only reason he is still coach is because of the insanely prohibitive buyouts negotiated by our current AD. And that guy is actually counting a 3rd division championship for a year they finished 3rd in the division behind two ineligible teams. He is also failing to take away the division title they were stripped for cheating - oh yeah, caused by our current AD.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jstone D329 - “ It’s ok to want a coaching change”
Brownell @Clemson: 8 seasons ranked 50th or worse by Sports Reference’s SRS
1-29: Brad Brownell road record against ranked ACC opponents
142, 161, 294, 307, 293, 166, 225, 180, 260, 164, 141, 72, 68 - assist rankings amongst all D1 programs during Brownell's tenure

Re: Ha...

Jun 1, 2014, 2:34 AM [ in reply to Ha... ]

Not much history at Ga Tech? You don't know much do you.

Jun 1, 2014, 8:52 AM [ in reply to Ha... ]

Don't disagree with much of your post, except GT has a very rich history. Their accomplishments shine pretty bright.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 2, 2014, 2:38 PM

Look, I know my history. Perhaps I should have said RECENT history... my apologies.

For instance, I know that:
John Heisman coached at GT... in 1919
They claim four National Titles 1917, 1928, 1952, and 1990
However, none of those titles were unanimous.
Since Bobby Dodd left in 1966, they have won 10 games in a season THREE whole times.
They have collected THREE ACC titles since 1952.
They have had FIVE first round picks in the NFL draft since 1979.

Perhaps I should have said all of Tech's football glory IS history. This post wasn't meant to disparage GT. I was born and raised in ATL and work with many fine techies. I hate UGA too, so there's that to go on. My point is only to say that I thought CPJ was a decent hire for what is a relatively mediocre job. The ACC is the 3rd or 4th best football conference in the country and GT is the 5th or 6th best job in the ACC. GT is not a good job and probably never will be again. They haven't sold out a non Clemson or UGA home game in years. So, in my opinion, a coach who can win division and conference titles with what he has to work with there is a decent hire. Ergo, a such, and hence... I think even D-Rad can get a good baseball coach up in here... this is a peach of a baseball job and we should have our pick of the best candidates.

Jun 2, 2014, 5:26 PM

The only issue I took with you was your remark about GT's history. They have a pretty good history, albeit much of it is distant history. Most programs are not nearly as storied as theirs, and I don't regard them very favorably in today's production. As for their split championships, at least they had a share of some NC's. Alabama has shared several NC's that they include in what they claim as NC's. Heck, I would take another share of one (although I think we have a good chance of winning one outright). Those are the only issues I had with the post. I can't much stand Paul Johnson, and I loathe his offense. He comes across as a guy with zero personality, and GT seems like a bunch of pasty little nerds (and I came close to going there), and I don't think they add much to the reputation of football in our conference.

Or he could pull a Tom Coughlin and right the ship.

Jun 2, 2014, 11:48 AM [ in reply to Re: It is simply not possible you are that far out of touch with reality ]

You never know...I'm 50/50 on this

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 1, 2014, 8:48 AM [ in reply to It is simply not possible you are that far out of touch with reality ]

In his last several seasons he (Bobby Bowden) seemed to be there just so he could milk the school out of a few million $ each year for as long as he could. He never seemed to be engaged with his teams, but rather just an old man standing around looking lost. It seemed almost criminal to me that he just got his big check for nothing much at all. Jack does seem to still be engaged in coaching, but by his own admission he doesn't seem to know what is wrong nor how to fix it. Knowing when to say when is a tough thing, but I think it's time to give Jack the golden hand shake.

May 31, 2014, 8:23 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Leggett defends his program, discusses his future ]

This is college baseball, literally until recently very few programs cared anything about it, which allowed us alot of that success...we cared more about it than most schools, so this thing of we were above .500 is junk. Just like the soccer program, for the amount of schools that put any effort into the sport we should expect to get more out of it than to be a mid tier conference program. It just makes me mad that what Ibrahim and Wilhelm built, we took for granted and let it fall apart. We are just now rebuilding soccer, and we will have to do the same with baseball, and certainly set our goals higher than simply winning 40 games.

Someone posted a trend of Leggets tenure here the last 10 or 15 years, its exactly what everyone is complaining about...a steady decline. At what point do you try to rectify the trend? The coach himself says he doent know what to do the right the ship, when his teams fielding and hitting and relief pitching are mediocre at best.

May 31, 2014, 8:24 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Leggett defends his program, discusses his future ]

You call losing to the coots or any team with an average pulse the last four years a good thing. Yes the coots have a good team, but they didn't just become a good team. But we have become a bad team!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yup....

May 31, 2014, 8:35 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Leggett defends his program, discusses his future ]

You're right. That's how you get to keep one job for 20+ years. But the standard for Clemson baseball is higher than just pretty good. At some point what you did a while ago doesn't have any bearing on what you're doing now.

Omaha is the standard for Clemson baseball.

This program should host a regional nearly every year, make a super every other year, and every kid who plays 4 years in Clemson should go to Omaha. That is the standard set by Bill Wilhelm and Jack himself. That standard has not been met in 4+ years and along the way we've been housed by Carolina, struggled in the postseason, struggled in the ACC, and failed to crush mid-week opponents. Everything you mentioned buys you the last 4 years of mediocrity... but the check has come due and Jack's bank account is now empty.

I thank Coach Leggett for his service but it's time for a change.

Compare the 20 years before Jack, with the 20 years with

May 31, 2014, 9:47 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Leggett defends his program, discusses his future ]

Jack. Look at CWS appearences, ACC titles, and final rankings.

Again, Wilhelm is the legendary baseball coach at Clemson, not Leggett.

How many ACC titles in the last 19 years?? Not many.

Wilhelmina didn't have Miami and FSU to compete against

Jun 1, 2014, 10:34 AM

in the ACC, pretty sure that would have made it much tougher to win all of those championships.

Jun 1, 2014, 12:27 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Leggett defends his program, discusses his future ]

Sorry but jack has been trending downward for a long time now. He has had some good teams but those teams have been pretty far removed. Good coaches teams get better or keep a level of sucess. There may be a downyear here and there but never a downward trend.

^^Still doesn't want to fire Tommy Bowden.***

Jun 1, 2014, 6:36 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Leggett defends his program, discusses his future ]

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sayonara leggett***

May 31, 2014, 1:25 AM

nm

May 31, 2014, 8:56 PM

wow he has one hell of an ego.

null

Eff jack leggett.***

May 31, 2014, 8:59 PM

Re: Eff jack leggett.***

May 31, 2014, 9:10 PM

I'm sorry, but he is out of touch with reality. Just like Bowden, he can't seem to admit that we are not a national power and haven't been for several years. The problems that have plagued this team for the last several years, still plague this program. The first game of the year was just like the last two. He needs to look at himself and ask himself-is Clemson better off with me in the dugout or not.

May 31, 2014, 9:44 PM

How can one man be that removed from reality? No wonder the program is in such bad shape.

Fire Jack***

May 31, 2014, 9:55 PM

IF Jack doesn't get canned...

May 31, 2014, 10:24 PM

I think he should consider giving up salary to be spent on better assistant coaches, but I think his pride/ego would get in the way.

No matter who you vote for, BUY AMERICAN...it's a vote for American jobs.

Jun 1, 2014, 12:03 AM

Hit the road jack!

It's probably time to hit the road....***

Jun 1, 2014, 12:11 AM

Hit the road Jack

Jun 1, 2014, 1:33 AM

^^

"He said, that as of right now, he doesn't have the answers

Jun 1, 2014, 9:39 AM

of how to fix the issues." Let's hope Drad does. South Carolina is a baseball state. From T ball to college, except in Jackville. Do the right thing Jack. Retire.

Jun 1, 2014, 12:50 PM

I like him, but honestly feel his time is up. This has been a slow burn for the the last four years. Too many losses, the brand has suffered and it could be the same next year. He has not excitement left in him to motivate the team. Experience only carries you so far and then you need more.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

dont go away mad, just go away!***

Jun 1, 2014, 1:22 PM

Baseball slide began with the loss of Corbin & O'Sulivan

Jun 1, 2014, 1:42 PM

Mr. Leggett has been propped up in the dugout like the boss in "Weekend at Bernie's" for the last couple of seasons, but his lackluster assistants aren't pulling off the scam very well.

Re: Baseball slide began with the loss of Corbin & O'Sulivan

Jun 1, 2014, 1:50 PM

Jacks own arrogance and blindness is why this program is failing. If he is fired by Drad, it will be Jacks fault but he will never admit it.

Jun 1, 2014, 1:47 PM

Last 3 seasons we have been Eliminated by UConn, Liberty, and Xavier. Speak to accomplishments all you want that's embarrassing.

The team in Columbia that beats us all

Jun 2, 2014, 9:06 AM

The time,,, a good chunk of their starting lineup is within 20-30 minutes of Clemson. That speaks volumes

NO FARMERS NO FOOD

Is Jack Leggett the Mark Richt of baseball? I think so excep

Jun 2, 2014, 12:48 PM

t Leggett doesn't seem to be as good a person as Richt. But the programs are very much alike.

Now on to more important things...

Jun 2, 2014, 6:28 PM

Leggett looks like an old Ben Stiller

Replies: 46
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic