Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story:Swinney says Tigers only have to look at 'Noles to know what coul
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

New Story:Swinney says Tigers only have to look at 'Noles to know what coul

May 27, 2014, 9:41 AM

Swinney says Tigers only have to look at 'Noles to know what could happen

Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney understands his team lost a lot of talent during the offseason, but he said all you have to do is look at last season's national champs to realize what could be. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Career back-up QB Chris Morocco took the Tigers down

May 27, 2014, 9:49 AM

to Tallahassee his senior year in 1989 and left with one of the biggest wins in Clemson history.

He replaced a record-breaking 4-year starter.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great point!***

May 27, 2014, 10:03 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Career back-up QB Chris Morocco took the Tigers down

May 27, 2014, 10:10 AM [ in reply to Career back-up QB Chris Morocco took the Tigers down ]

Let's hope our LBs play like John Johnson and Wayne Simmons.

May 27, 2014, 10:36 AM [ in reply to Career back-up QB Chris Morocco took the Tigers down ]

that's true, but the defense led by Levon Kirkland, Chester McGlockton, Ed McDaniel, Wayne Simmons, Vance Hammond and the offense led by Stacy Long, Eric Harmon, Jeb Flesch, Les Hall paving the way for Terry Allen allowed Chris Morocco to be successful in Tallahassee that day. We will need that same kind of controlled offense to help the defense stay fresh and not get worn down in addition to the defense playing like that '89 defense...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Given that our defense is expected to be the strength of the

May 27, 2014, 11:22 AM

team, and one of the best returning defenses in the country, I think our chances are pretty good there.

Our D is good, but it isn't 1989 good......yet.***

May 27, 2014, 1:36 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep, we sure had the talent to match theirs (exceed theirs).

May 27, 2014, 1:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Career back-up QB Chris Morocco took the Tigers down ]

Final score was not indicative of the way we dominated.
Those were good times!

May 27, 2014, 10:37 AM [ in reply to Career back-up QB Chris Morocco took the Tigers down ]

Exactly, and that is kind of what I was saying in a post earlier. And if we get after rapist Jameis the way they got after Tajh last year, and not let him get comfortable. We can win in Dope Capital Stadium with Cole Stout. I know that we haven't seen Cole against a NC team, and he won't be playing against last years NC team. But we have saw that Cole don't force the ball that can easily end up in our opponents hands, and that is a good thing against a FSU type team. Personally I can see us winning that game. And I don't think that B V will allow FSU close to 50 points on us again.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 28, 2014, 10:08 PM

Let's try and beat a very good UGA first.

Well, the article was focused on FSU ... thus the responses.***

May 29, 2014, 1:59 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So I wanted to re-live some of that......

May 27, 2014, 12:37 PM [ in reply to Career back-up QB Chris Morocco took the Tigers down ]

and was litening to random spots.

Then the announcer says this:

http://youtu.be/sq5LSAJtg6I?t=2h4m28s

And, makes me more excited about our upcoming class.

Win in Talley and win in the Valley.***

May 27, 2014, 9:52 AM

How badly does Swinney want the win in Tallahassee?

May 27, 2014, 9:58 AM

He continues to bring up Watson nearly every time he talks about Stoudt. I think he's signaling to the QBs and to us that he may not hesitate to substitute Watson if needed. Maybe even as early as the UGA game.

But I have no doubt he has full confidence in Stoudt and it's up to him to own the QB spot.

It will be very interesting to see whether Watson gets a snap at all between the hedges even if we have the game more or less under control. I don't see any downside to giving him a prrtion of the 4th for example. Stoudt is in his last year, so there is little need to prep him for next year. And the more trench experience Watson gets the better. This year and next. Maybe the only downside is getting Stoudt ready for Tallahassee by withstanding the full 60 minutes.

Re: How badly does Swinney want the win in Tallahassee?

May 27, 2014, 10:05 AM

If Stoudt can some how pull out a win in Athens...the environment in Talahassee should be a breeze!

May 27, 2014, 10:13 AM

I really think we could potentially blow Georgia out of that game early. Our defense will be our strength, they're breaking in a new QB, and they have no secondary to speak of. Call me crazy but that game could get ugly and fast. Watson could potentially see a quarter of that game.

May 28, 2014, 10:25 PM

Dream on. Hope you are right, but UGA is picked by many to have the talent to contend for NC. I simply can't fathom anyone imagining us "blowing UGA early" in Athens.
We will go into Athens as a huge underdog, and there's a reason for that. We don't even have a premier running back. C.J. Davidson could be our salvation there, especially if he can put on 15 to 20 pounds. A running QB is an integral part of our offense. Stoudt can't run, so where does that leave us?

May 28, 2014, 10:15 PM [ in reply to Re: How badly does Swinney want the win in Tallahassee? ]

Considering last year's humiliation by FSU, you'd think Dabo would very much want to win. With me, hope springs eternal, but I think their talent level is far above ours,
and that we be successful if we can even keep it close.

May 27, 2014, 10:12 AM [ in reply to How badly does Swinney want the win in Tallahassee? ]

there is no question Watson will get a lot of first team reps to get him ready to be the back up. he has to be now that Kelly is no longer here. my worry is any type of injury to stout that would make Watson the starter. imo he NEEDS the rs year to get bigger , stronger, and more experienced with the offense. I realize injuries are a part of the game, but we have to keep stout upright and healthy. the loss of Kelly really hurts us from a depth and experience standpoint.

May 27, 2014, 10:14 AM

Really? If Kelly thought the spring game was pressure, I'd hate to see him between the hedges after an injury to Stout.

May 27, 2014, 11:00 AM

lol That is true!!

Tell 'em leadcoot

May 27, 2014, 10:24 AM [ in reply to Re: How badly does Swinney want the win in Tallahassee? ]

smh

Re: Tell 'em leadcoot

May 28, 2014, 10:37 PM

OMG, the "coot" BS again. Can we never escape this ignorant, redneck junk and exchange views in a civil and intelligent manner. This kind of stupidity is a disgrace to this board. My god, man get a life and go back to school. You obviously need it.

About Watson - many agree he will touch field in Athens

May 27, 2014, 10:23 AM [ in reply to How badly does Swinney want the win in Tallahassee? ]

There are so many reasons it makes sense, with getting him some real time Div1 style experience before the even bigger game 3 weeks later being the biggest one. But I think having him play on Dawg turf in front of some home town fans is another pretty big one, too. Just like I expect Gallman to see a lot of touches as long as he is productive. Even though one of the more senior guys might end up at the top of the depth chart for RB just because of experience.

If Dye were healthy enough I'd expect him to see snaps, too. His hometown is literally in Athens' back yard almost.

Re: About Watson - many agree he will touch field in Athens

May 28, 2014, 10:42 PM

Good points, My main concern regarding Watson is that he appears to be on the thin side. This would increase his risk of injury, a possibility that none of us likes to contemplate. Has he thickened up?

The national forecasters will say we have no chance BUT

May 27, 2014, 10:02 AM

I say look out Noles. Clemson is coming!

GO TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Peyton Manning 0....Tee Martin 1

May 27, 2014, 10:33 AM

National Championships.

It has happened before.

At least we don't have to read on TigerNet

May 27, 2014, 11:39 AM

How this could be the year because we sucked last year just like we did in 1980! (happened most years under Bowden)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Record-setting DV loss doesn't inspire confidence for @FSU***

May 27, 2014, 11:47 AM

True but you've got to flush that out of your mind

May 27, 2014, 11:50 AM

at least the staff and players do. A beat down one year can quickly turn the next. Injuries, different personal, etc play a big part in that.

Also Clemson came out and played to my what amounted to their D-F game while FSU played their B-A game. All things being equal on the field I don't think we lose that game by more then 10-14 points.

Re: New Story:Swinney says Tigers only have to look at 'Noles to know what coul

May 27, 2014, 1:27 PM

I hope that the Tigers perform at 100% against Ga. Put the game game away early and get Watson some playing time. I think the defense will do fine against the Dogs. Establish the run game early, mix some passing in to the stable full of receivers and put it out of reach quick. Key to offense is which QB comes to practice with his game attitude ready. No time for complacency in this situation. Come to preseason practice ready to go. Could be real interesting battle between Stoudt and Watson.

Re: New Story:Swinney says Tigers only have to look at 'Noles to know what coul

May 28, 2014, 10:02 PM

Put away early? Let's hope, but Georgia is from all I hear is loaded on both sides of the ball. If we can come out of Athens with any kind of win, it will be a major victory. I suspect that Vegas will have us as an even bigger underdog by then. Right now UGA is favored by 8 and 1/2. I suspect those odds will widen, not narrow.

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic