Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
BKB Update: ESPN lists Clemson basketball as a "bad job"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 40
| visibility 1

BKB Update: ESPN lists Clemson basketball as a "bad job"

May 27, 2014, 11:07 AM

ESPN lists Clemson basketball as a "bad job"

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sour grapes from not fulfilling their last place prediction.

May 27, 2014, 11:12 AM

To hell with them.

GO TIGERS!

Re: Sour grapes from not fulfilling their last place prediction.

Jul 7, 2018, 9:58 AM

#### ESECPN and their SEC homer-ism. And to h&ll with them and their ####ed up prejudice comments towards any and everything non SEC!!! Another sporting network will rise up before long and make them shove the sec up their own AS$ES, hopefully!!! With the expansion of the ACC, I think that we have one of the biggest TV markets right now waiting on a huge TV deal, don't we?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They misspelled "Moron"***

May 27, 2014, 11:13 AM

2017_nascar_champ.gif2018_nascar_champ.gif2019_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Except we weren't supposed to get near the

May 27, 2014, 11:14 AM

Postseason this year. You'd think he'd know that considering just about everyone picked us to finish dead last in the ACC.

Basketball is trending upwards, and locking up Brownell was the smartest thing we could have done.

So, it's a bad job

May 27, 2014, 11:18 AM

Because we lock in a coach and are willing to pay him while he builds the program instead of firing him after missing the postseason for a few years and not making the big dance since his first year here?

THAT is a bad job to have?

I like Brownell, but to suggest we aren't being patient or aren't supporting him while he builds the program (which you would think would be the primary criteria for a "bad job") is ludicrous.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep, this article is the standard I'm used to from E$PN.

May 27, 2014, 11:25 AM

Low information drivel.

Evidently the eSECpn staffers are ignorant about

May 27, 2014, 11:26 AM

the basketball renovations and improvements planned. They are a cowardly, short sighted bunch of SEC pimps.
They said the same baloney about Dabo and Clemson. In my opinion they are concerned that Clemson's athletic programs may challenge their SEC "hoes".
Their worst nightmare is Clemson football, basketball and baseball doing well simultaneously.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

eSECpn staffers are ignorant about a great many things***

May 27, 2014, 11:39 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Yellow journalism is what old folks called it.***

May 27, 2014, 11:42 AM

Does "yellow journalism" mean that normal people

May 27, 2014, 12:27 PM

wouldn't urinate on the reporter even if they were on fire?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

So 3 ACC teams are bad jobs

May 27, 2014, 11:30 AM

and none of the coaches in the Florida/Kentucky conference are bad jobs. Okeydokey.

I can't wait for them to write that article about football bad jobs and list Kentucky, Ole Miss and Miss State. I won't hold my breath.

LOL and the argument is Clemson is a football school.

May 27, 2014, 11:35 AM

What is Alabama?

Yea, you could include many SEC schools

May 27, 2014, 1:09 PM

on that list.

Vandy and Kentucky are bad football jobs***

May 27, 2014, 11:39 AM [ in reply to So 3 ACC teams are bad jobs ]

Based on tradition, facilities, and non-NIT fan support

May 27, 2014, 11:38 AM

I'd say it is a bad job.

Get the planned facilities upgrades, find a way to keep the fan support at the levels it was at for the NIT, and suddenly this starts to be a pretty good job.

I think what they are missing here is that while

May 27, 2014, 11:43 AM

granted, Clemson is a football school, that does not mean we can't have a great basketball program as well, and while traditionally the Clemson basketball head-coaching job would not rate that highly, we are trying to change.

The goal, as it should be, is to make our basketball program successful and competitive at a higher level than it ever has been. There is absolutely no reason we can't do that, and we are taking steps in that direction.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

reno thejohn plus brownlee at the helm will hopefully turn

May 27, 2014, 11:43 AM

it into a great job.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's not a bad job... it's a TOUGH job

May 27, 2014, 11:45 AM

There's a big difference between a bad job and a tough job. No coaching position in the ACC is a bad job. In most years, you face a high degree of competition and sadly a high amount of ref bias to the premier, established programs (see Boeheim, Jim for more on that topic). Conference affiliation matters come tournament time and it also matters in getting a slice of the TV agreement pie as well.

I would absolutely say that Clemson is one of the toughest jobs, given the difficulties of a lack of tradition, a lack of competitive facilities (to be addressed finally) and a more rural location that is less attractive more mostly city-based recruits. Not to mention stiff and storied competition with hall-of-fame coaches only five hours away.

That being said though, it takes a special kind of coach and a patient athletic director to overcome those challenges. I hope (and now I believe) we have that Brownell.

Tough = bad to a large extent. Don't win, get fired.

May 27, 2014, 12:09 PM

That's pretty standard everywhere and a tough job = harder to win = more likely to get fired = worse job.

Depends on what you are measuring

May 27, 2014, 2:16 PM [ in reply to It's not a bad job... it's a TOUGH job ]

yes, it would be a tough job at Clemson to be consistently a "final 4" type team because of the competition. However, if the Administrations expectations are inline with the competition, then it should be a relatively easy job. I don't think it would to be too much to ask to consistently finish in the top 8 of the conference and make a run in the NCAA every now and then.

The Admin at Clemson can no more expect and hold a coach to being at the level of Duke, UNC, Cuse etc than the Admin at Duke can expect and hold a football coach to being at the of Clemson, FSU, Miami etc. If those expectations are in line with reality, then a coach can make a great living, get some great wins and build Clemson to a solid contender. Sounds like a good job to me. Besides, not everybody wants to be CEO of Microsoft. Some are perfectly happy running their own 100 person company.

Re: BKB Update: ESPN lists Clemson basketball as a "bad job"

May 27, 2014, 11:54 AM

I bet Brownell doesn't think it's a bad job. He is pulling in millions, getting a renovated arena, and recruiting is building.

This a a joke of an article. SMH

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

While I appreciate fan enthusiasm on this board...

May 27, 2014, 12:01 PM

It's a bad job.

There isn't a big basketball fan base.

We've never won the ACC tournament.

Littlejohn is terrible. And it is bad spot for an on-campus facility. It isn't big and intimidating, but it isn't small enough to be loud.

We have rarely been able to attract top-notch recruits to the school.

I think the writer's take on the program is, unfortunately, spot-on. They gave Brownell a good contract because he is a good coach and now they can ignore hoops (once the arena is rebuilt) for the time being.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Littlejohn terrible?

May 27, 2014, 12:25 PM

It's actually pretty good set-up. A Loy better than the CLA and many other arenas. Have you been to Vandy?

CLA has a terrible main entrance

May 27, 2014, 12:44 PM

and the concourse is pretty narrow for a 16k crowd. You get funneled immediately into the steps inside - not a good space. You don't have to climb steps to get into LJ's lobby.

Clemson isn't big enough

May 27, 2014, 1:10 PM [ in reply to While I appreciate fan enthusiasm on this board... ]

to have a "bad spot for an on-campus facility". Where you gonna put - where the reflection pond is? good grief. As for not being loud, it wasn't many years ago that it was called one of the loudest/most intimidating in the conference.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No research done by writer at all***

May 27, 2014, 12:12 PM

NO FARMERS NO FOOD

Re: No research done by writer at all***

May 27, 2014, 1:08 PM

Sounds like another C/P post I made about operating a Chevy Volt.

Same writer?????

Lost credibility with the Frank Martin comment

May 27, 2014, 12:21 PM

Lol! They'll be lucky to find 5 one stars willing to play for him.

Re: Lost credibility with the Frank Martin comment

May 27, 2014, 12:45 PM

Another good reason to watch Fox Sports.

It was a "bad job" when little book and jennings were

May 27, 2014, 12:50 PM

the leaders. Now that's over and Brad is righting the ship. He only needs to overcome a little more recruiting bias and he is home free. Maybe a little ref bias too....

Totally Agree!

May 27, 2014, 12:57 PM

And before anyone calls me anything other than a Tiger fan...let's be real folks...he is pretty spot on. I was really disappointed with the Brownell extension...maybe someone higher up knows a lot more than me but I just haven't seen the recruiting that is needed to take us to the next level. I truly appreciate the integrity and leadership that Mr. Brownell possesses but at some point you just have to find someone else who also has those qualities, yet can get the job done when it comes to recruiting. Here's to hoping me and this ESPN guy are dead wrong.

After reading the thought process behind your

May 27, 2014, 1:17 PM

totally ignorant post, I understand why you've only posted 17 times in 7 years.

If the "dds" portion of your handle implies you're a dentist, count me as damm glad I don't pay you for your professional opinion.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 27, 2014, 12:57 PM

If a bad job makes that kind of ca$h I'll take one any day. Tired of my good job making a fraction of that.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's a matter of perspective - with our focus being on......

May 27, 2014, 1:31 PM

football (and you're fooling yourself if you don't think it is and has been) our basketball job is a stepping-stone for a coach wanting to be at a real basketball school. But that doesn't mean it's "bad."

We've (meaning the administration as well as the fans) have to convince ourselves that we can be strong in basketball as well as football with the right commitments and focus. It's just that equal focus for the basketball program has never been the case.

It IS a horrible job ... always has been, but not for

May 27, 2014, 1:44 PM

most of the reasons stated in the article.

It's one of the most challenging jobs in the country only in part because we have always been football-focused. Competing with our Tobacco Road opponents keeps us from finding any room at the top of the ACC and getting a capable coach to first take the job, and then more importantly, stick with the job has been a huge obstacle for decades.

Signing Brad Brownell to a long-term contract with the new Littlejohn facility coming right down the road makes perfect sense to anyone with a feel for where Clemson's been and what the realities are for the future. Clemson AD is showing faith in a coach who has faith in us and providing him with the facilities he needs to help level the playing field.

And, basketball recruiting at Clemson has very little to do with who is coaching at SCAR. That hasn't been the case since Frank McGuire days. It has much, much more to do with how the best players coming out of the Palmetto State each year catch the eye of North Carolina and other big time programs out of state. The few true blue chip players that this state produces almost always play out-of-state. Frank Martin's appearance in Columbia has not made recruiting at Clemson any more problematic. In fact, it may have helped ...

The Clemson basketball job is a bad job, but it's not a totally impossible job. Paying a good coach to stay and giving him the tools to work with is the first step in a long, difficult climb to consistently competitive hoops program.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is another example of his fine work... Link:

May 27, 2014, 2:42 PM

mgoblog.com/mgoboard/espns-myron-medcalf-010-sweet-16-predictions

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This is another example of his fine work... Link:

May 27, 2014, 2:53 PM

My list of bad jobs in the media would have 1. MSNBC 2. ESPN 3. CNN

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Absurd. Clemson is a great job.

May 27, 2014, 4:53 PM

As someone pointed out earlier, it's a tough place to win it all. But in the meantime, you live in a great place, play in the best conference, make millions of dollars, have pretty reasonable expectations, have an AD that is making enormous investments in your facilities and clearly have career options in other places if you can't get it done here (look where are head coaches have gone from Clemson in the past 30 years). Honestly, I don't see how there are many jobs out there better than Clemson.

null

May 27, 2014, 9:06 PM

Once upon a time, being the football coach at USuC was a bad job, too. Just sayin.

Tell me whoexactly is Myron Metcalf? Brownell makes..***

May 28, 2014, 6:37 AM

Replies: 40
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic