Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Freedom Isn't Free: A Clemson Memorial Day
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

New Story: Freedom Isn't Free: A Clemson Memorial Day

May 25, 2014, 8:17 PM

Freedom Isn't Free: A Clemson Memorial Day

Freedom isn't free, and the 484 names on Clemson's Scroll of Honor pay tribute to that fact. As another Memorial Day appears, TigerNet steps takes a moment away from the day-to-day sports we cover to offer our own unique perspective on this holiday. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Freedom isn't free

May 25, 2014, 8:23 PM

There's a hefty "cough"ing fee

Re: Freedom isn't free

May 25, 2014, 8:28 PM

And if you don't throw in your buck o' five, Who will?

A moving and fitting tribute to those who made the ultimate

May 25, 2014, 8:38 PM

sacrifice.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One of the best articles I have seen this weekend

May 25, 2014, 8:55 PM

about memorial day and why we should take the time to honor those men and women who have sacrificed all for us. Thanks for writing about this Clemson hero that gave his all.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Freedom Isn't Free: A Clemson Memorial Day

May 25, 2014, 8:58 PM

Why Lee didn't march around Gettysburg I'll never understand.

questions for another thread

May 25, 2014, 9:10 PM

Why was Stuart off running around instead of scouting? Why do Pickett's charge at all? Fun discussions to be had but not now. God's blessing on those who fell on boh sides.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You know you've raised a real tiger fan when you ask your son what he wants his cub scout pinewood derby car to be and he says a Tiger!

May 25, 2014, 9:04 PM

Great story. Reminds us about what the holiday is really about. Thankful for those who made the ultimate sacrifice.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You know you've raised a real tiger fan when you ask your son what he wants his cub scout pinewood derby car to be and he says a Tiger!

Thank You David***

May 25, 2014, 9:07 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 25, 2014, 9:10 PM

First, I am a Vietnam Vet having served with the 101st Airborne Division in Phu Bai! I know there history & have traveled in Europe to see it!
Your story, while hard to read this weekend, was touching and well written! I am proud of my service and proud to be a Clemson fan. I enjoy this site for good sports writing, but today YOU hit one out of the park!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 25, 2014, 9:12 PM

Thank you for your service. My dad was air cav in Vietnam in 70. Tough times and you did not get the thanks you deserve.

May 25, 2014, 9:16 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Freedom Isn't Free: A Clemson Memorial Day ]

Thank you for your service!! Currahee

badge-seniorwriter.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 25, 2014, 9:11 PM

Thanks for the moving reminder of the fallen! Freedom rings because of them!

May 25, 2014, 9:12 PM

Thanks David for taking the time to write this. Aubrey Rion was a class mate of my Dad's. Dad got to come home April 1945, but Aubrey didn't. I don't know if Dad knew him or not as Dad passed away Dec. 2008. We lose more and more each day but I won't forget what they did.
Thanks for remembering.
Ron Wright

I know of two classmates

May 25, 2014, 10:08 PM

whose name should be on the Scroll of Honor and there may be more. When I get back to Clemson again that is definitely one of the places I will go.

Thanks for reminding us what the price of freedom really is, and that if one generation is unwilling to pay that price it will be lost for many generations before it is regained.

As a career Marine Corps infantryman

May 25, 2014, 10:05 PM

Who is retiring next month all I can say is thank u. Thats the most moving thing Ive read on here ever. Rest in peace the 26 KIAs of 3d Battalion 5th Marines from Sangin, Afghanistan. And our 181 WIAs....,My brothers forever. Semper Fidelis DARKHORSE/GET SOME 3/5 Forever.

Kudos David & Staff..since true & honors our millions of

May 25, 2014, 10:22 PM

Men & Women who have served..from George Washington's band of original Patriots to our present modern day Patriots..with Clemson being in the forefront of offering the Nation with quality officers..more than any college in WW11 except for Westpoint & aTm.

GoTiGERS!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 26, 2014, 5:29 AM

I visited the Luxembourg National Cemetery to see George Patton's resting place. Little did I know that a fallen Tiger was nearby. Should I be fortunate to return I will honored to visit with Aubrey Rion.Thanks David for reminding us all what this day is about.

May 26, 2014, 6:34 AM

Great article, thanks, David!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 26, 2014, 7:59 AM

Thanks David for the inspiring message and reminding the Tiger Nation of our rich military heritage. Clemson is known to have sent more officers into WWII campaign, except for Texas A&M or West Point. Many have now forgotten that Clemson was originally an Agricultural & Mechanical school. Virginia Tech is the other ACC school that can claim this same patriatism.

My late father's (CU '49) ring is a reminder of this fact. He later became a Professor in Mechanical Engineering and proudly flew the stars and stipes at our home until he was no longer able.

May 26, 2014, 8:20 AM

Very well said! Thanks! ---Glenn Lattanze, Major (ret), USAF

Thank you david***

May 26, 2014, 8:21 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

thanks david.***

May 26, 2014, 8:53 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thank you - I feel stupid being too concerned with

May 26, 2014, 11:26 AM

Baseball or the coots after reading that.

May 26, 2014, 2:27 PM

Thank you to all who have paid for my freedom with their lives! Couldn't say that a million times and it be enough!

May 26, 2014, 3:52 PM

Mr. Hood. You have written many wonderful stories, but this is the best.
It's easy to enter Memorial Stadium and not remember that the memorial is not to football. It's to the brave soldiers who made the ultimate sacrifice so that we could enjoy such a blessed life. Thank you for reminding us that freedom here or in eternity is never free. Thank God for those who paid that price for me.

May 26, 2014, 10:04 PM
SOH Flags.jpg(173.4 K)
SOH Flags2.jpg(185.2 K)

Great article David. There are 483 more stories like the one of Aubrey Rion that can be found on the Scroll of Honor web site. Thanks so much for bringing their story to life for another group within the Clemson Family.

The photos attached are from Friday afternoon when a small group of Clemson friends placed 484 flags on the Scroll in honor of Memorial Weekend. If you look closely you will see 96 year old Col. Ben Skardon helping out! If you've heard his "Ring Story" you know that his two "angels", Henry Leitner and Otis Morgan, are honored on the Scroll of Honor.

Roy Shealy is on the Scroll of Honor - his

May 27, 2014, 12:40 AM

B-25 was shot down while strafing Japanese targets off of Wotje Island. From this VN vet, RIP Roy.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 27, 2014, 5:21 AM

Thanks for the story. My grandfather served in WW2. He went into Normandy several days after the initial assault. He said the front line was only 3 miles away. He came home and lived to 88 years. My brother served in Afghanistan 2012-2013. He also came back. Thanks for reminding us of the sacrifice of out fellow citizens!!!!!

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic