Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: D.J. Jones talks Clemson and Auburn visits in lengthy interview
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 41
| visibility 1

New Story: D.J. Jones talks Clemson and Auburn visits in lengthy interview

May 18, 2014, 10:25 PM

D.J. Jones talks Clemson and Auburn visits in lengthy interview

D.J. Jones, the 4-star junior college defensive tackle prospective, is getting plenty of attention from the big-time programs. Saturday he was in Clemson and he was at Auburn Sunday - what does he say about those visits? What player would he replace at Clemson? What is his perfect school? Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: D.J. Jones talks Clemson and Auburn visits in lengthy interview

May 18, 2014, 10:27 PM

S

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Well,

May 18, 2014, 10:28 PM

That was a promising interview.

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

I don't know...seemed a little more impressed from AU

May 18, 2014, 11:49 PM

visit...but it's hard to get a read on his emotions from words alone.

It just seemed like Clemson was okay...and then when discussing AU the 'eyes lit up' so to speak...

I'd take this guy in a heartbeat. We could use the depth after this year...

He knows Clemson really well

May 19, 2014, 12:06 AM

I think in the end, he stays close to home for one year before entering the draft.

May 18, 2014, 10:29 PM

"I see myself leaving in a year.”

Don't want him.

He's a juco. That's what they do.

May 18, 2014, 10:32 PM

He's a stop gap. We're losing 3 starting DTs next year. He's perfect.

Re: He's a juco. That's what they do.

May 19, 2014, 10:02 PM

I just don't feel we are going to get him, but hope I'm wrong. Of course with the recruiting momentum we have going a lot can change.

May 18, 2014, 11:29 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: D.J. Jones talks Clemson and Auburn visits in lengthy interview ]

If a player is good enough to play in the NFL you are probably only going to get 1-2 elite years of play from him. Guys like Sammy that you get 3 from are very rare. JUCOs are perfect in that you get that elite year or two of a developed player without the year or two of developing him on scholarship. A mercenary Juco will have little effect on recruiting current DT targets. Basically a win-win-win.

Whut?

May 19, 2014, 6:17 AM

They can't leave until their high school class is 3 years after graduation. Sammy couldn't leave until after 3 years.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Re: Whut?

May 19, 2014, 9:37 AM

He's saying its rare to have a player like Sammy who can come in right out of high school and preform at an elite level. Most players take a year or two of coaching to reach a top level of play then you only get one to two years out of them at that level before they leave. This guy would be coming in already developed and ready to play so if we only get a year out of him, we save time from coaching him up and will get the same production from him as if he had already been here 2 years waiting to develop.

May 19, 2014, 7:02 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: D.J. Jones talks Clemson and Auburn visits in lengthy interview ]

All of them see themselves as NFL players ASAP. Most don't get there that quickly, but they think they will. It's in their nature, and face it, this young man is very good.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I guess you would have turned down Trevor Pryce, then***

May 19, 2014, 9:25 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: D.J. Jones talks Clemson and Auburn visits in lengthy interview ]

May 19, 2014, 12:24 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: D.J. Jones talks Clemson and Auburn visits in lengthy interview ]

Good points people, however the cupboard isn't completely bare next year. We have Watkins, Reader, Pagano and Dodd, (and Jabril Robinson, though he may need to develop in a redshirt year). I would much rather have a stud that can come in and play 3-4 years. There are plenty out there...Settle, Huggins, Tuttle, etc.

May 19, 2014, 10:05 PM

We do have some studs coming up from redshirt status.

Leaving in a year??

Ya.... This ain't basketball. That comment just rubbed me the wrong way.. No thanks. Want someone that embraces being a alumnus of my university. Not someone whose using it as a one and done.

What if he helps us beet the coots?***

Re: What if he helps us beet the coots?***

May 19, 2014, 7:11 AM

What if he don't!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

At most he would be a 2 and done. We wanted to be able to

May 18, 2014, 10:41 PM [ in reply to Leaving in a year?? ]

sign JUCO players, well this is what you get when you do. And he would be a tremendous get even if for a year.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: At most he would be a 2 and done. We wanted to be able to

May 19, 2014, 7:04 AM

I'm not so caught up in the coot thing, but guys like this will play some great ball for somebody. It is fine if we take one every once in a while.

May 19, 2014, 10:12 PM

By not having the JUCO population open to us, we miss out on a vast talent pool that other schools use to beat us. That just makes no sense.

May 19, 2014, 7:16 AM [ in reply to At most he would be a 2 and done. We wanted to be able to ]

He has three years to play two. Minor point.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

May 19, 2014, 8:30 AM [ in reply to At most he would be a 2 and done. We wanted to be able to ]

he has 3 to do 2...
I am not sure bringing in a one and done is a lot of help... I am ok with JUCO but not if they only plan on playing 1... but it worked for Auburn with Cam Newton... but this guy is not Cam Newton...

Re: You're right ...

May 19, 2014, 8:44 AM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You're right ...

May 19, 2014, 10:17 PM

You guys just don't get it. JUCO players fill a gap that prevents us from losing while we wait for younger players to develop. What about that don't you understand?

May 19, 2014, 10:09 PM [ in reply to At most he would be a 2 and done. We wanted to be able to ]

Absolutely. He may not be ready to leave in a year. We've got to go after him all-out. If he's force for just a year, then fine---it buys us some time.

trevor pryce did it & cu survived. promise, it won't hurt,

May 18, 2014, 10:42 PM [ in reply to Leaving in a year?? ]

but so much. now dust yourself off and get back in there.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

To leave after 1 year, he'll have to start ... and if

May 19, 2014, 8:41 AM [ in reply to Leaving in a year?? ]

he starts, he will have beaten out Grady Jarrett or some other great veteran defensive lineman to gain the starting position.

So, IMHO, it's win/win ...

If he's THAT good, then getting that one year out of him will be totally worth it.

But, if he's not quite good enough to start next year, he will play a lot and will be the perfect fill in as a starter in his senior year, which is probably what the coaches are planning for.

He still has another year of JUCO to go

May 19, 2014, 9:23 AM

Jarrett, Watson and Williams will all be gone. He will be competing with Carlos and DJ Reader for playing time.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Dude abides

Re: Thanks ... makes more sense now.***

May 19, 2014, 9:55 AM

Well, even Terrence (Mount) Cody played his full two years for Alabama and he was an amazing JUCO transfer.

Re: To leave after 1 year, he'll have to start ... and if

May 19, 2014, 10:21 PM [ in reply to To leave after 1 year, he'll have to start ... and if ]

Ahhhh. You get it. Other Major schools use JUCO players to
great advantage, but some on this thread seem to have some mystical (yet unreasoned) objection to it. I give up.

Want JUCO's?

May 19, 2014, 9:46 AM [ in reply to Leaving in a year?? ]

One and done is the way of life for these top tier JUCO players. Everyone wants JUCO's right? Wasn't that the big up roar during the season. Universities are just road stops to the draft for these guys. If he can help us win games and contribute that's all we need from him. In 5 years it won't matter if he's an alum, if he helps lead us to a successful season that's all we will remember.

Well that top 10 REALLY narrowed it down.

May 18, 2014, 11:54 PM

-_________________________________-

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Well that top 10 REALLY narrowed it down.

May 19, 2014, 7:22 AM

Yep, was thinking the same thing. The time put in for this interview was as wasted as it would have been watering rocks. Nothing came from this "lengthy Interview", absolutely nothing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"...business decision."

May 19, 2014, 9:34 AM

?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: "...business decision."

May 19, 2014, 9:41 AM

Think he is going to pick on where he will earn the most money in the draft. If he can come here and start but Auburn will be splitting his time he will come here, if its the other way around he will go to Auburn.

Au=gold

May 19, 2014, 9:43 AM [ in reply to "...business decision." ]

=money in the bank.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

+1. Nice, scientific analysis to a financial theorem...***

May 19, 2014, 10:41 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

business decision - i am choosing among sec schools***

May 19, 2014, 9:48 AM [ in reply to "...business decision." ]

May 19, 2014, 10:19 AM

Unfortunately it smells like the SEC all the way!

Curious how no star high schooler becomes 4 star in one yr.

May 19, 2014, 12:38 PM

I don't want to be Mr. Negative, but...

Was he such a bad student that no one bothered to offer or did he suddenly grow 6 inches?
Why is he suddenly so good that everyone seems willing to believe he could be drafted after only one year of major college ball?
Is he one and done because that's as long as he'll be able to stay eligible?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Dude abides

Re: Curious how no star high schooler becomes 4 star in one yr.

May 19, 2014, 10:32 PM

Anybody that doesn't want this guy is crazy. Any school would take him in a second.

Replies: 41
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic