Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Leggett likes Clemson's tourney chances
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 46
| visibility 1

New Story: Leggett likes Clemson's tourney chances

May 14, 2014, 3:04 PM

Leggett likes Clemson's tourney chances

Is the Clemson baseball team in must win territory? What are the current tournament projections? What does Jack Leggett say about the end of the season and does he think his team is good enough to make the NCAA tourney?
Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Leggett likes Clemson's tourney chances

May 14, 2014, 3:09 PM

LMAO!! this team is done! I just hope Jack is also

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 14, 2014, 8:21 PM

Well,of course he's going to say he likes Clemsons tourney chances.
What do you expect him to say;that we stink,but it's my team,I recruited these guys,it's not my fault they can't play small ball,or [that they]listen to me telling a player to try to beat a throw from third to second,or a perfectly thrown ball from center to home plate.
Sorry if you don't like my idea of telling a batter to try to bunt a runner over from 1st to 2nd with one out.
Errors,what errors,that just being aggressive,trying to make an impossible field and throw.
And let's not forget about our relief pitching.Nothing relieves me more if we are lucky enough to get out of an inning without losing that precious one run lead we have thru 5/6 innings.
Yes,I like our tourney chances.I'm just glad we don't have to face those coots from cootlumbia in the first game.
No,Jack really didn't say all of that,but I would not be surprised if he wasn't thinking it!

May 16, 2014, 1:35 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Leggett likes Clemson's tourney chances ]

I'm not a big baseball fan, but from what I understand we have recruited too well in that many of our top picks end up going pro, and we have to fall back on 2nd. choices. However, I'm not a big hard-ball fan, and would appreciate any input from those of you who are much more knowledgeable about the sport than I am.

Obama think Obamacare is a good thing***

May 14, 2014, 3:10 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Take it to the lounge***

May 14, 2014, 3:15 PM

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

my post had nothing to do with Hutson Mason***

May 14, 2014, 3:21 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 14, 2014, 3:32 PM

Likes their chances but can't beat ND that's funny.

May 14, 2014, 4:09 PM

Well he did say to start the season that he liked this years team, and he expected good thing for them this year. I hope that him liking his chances fair better than how much he liked this team at the start of the season. I'm thinking that his chances will be no better than his like....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Two options Jack...

Oct 19, 2019, 3:14 PM

1) Make it to the CWS

2) Retire if you don't.

Sadly, at this point, ....

May 14, 2014, 3:59 PM

most people would settle for a respectable showing in the ACCT, the Regional, and the Super Regional (in the unlikely event we advance that far).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Huh? Has he even been watching?***

May 14, 2014, 4:01 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Every time I look out at the third base coaching box, he is

May 14, 2014, 4:03 PM

staring at the grass. So, maybe he hasn't been watching.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Re: Every time I look out at the third base coaching box, he is

May 14, 2014, 4:13 PM

Maybe he can't watch anymore knowing what the minds behind all those eyes on him are thinking.

Re: Every time I look out at the third base coaching box, he is

May 14, 2014, 4:17 PM [ in reply to Every time I look out at the third base coaching box, he is ]

staring at the grass huh. smfh.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Huh? Has he even been watching? Would U

May 14, 2014, 4:13 PM [ in reply to Huh? Has he even been watching?*** ]

blame him if he didnt watch? I wouldnt

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good point is good***

May 14, 2014, 4:23 PM

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

May 14, 2014, 4:22 PM

Haha guess you always have to be optimistic but after last weekend...funny. I hope we are all laughing wondering how the helL this team pulled it off and made it to Omaha in a few weeks, but just don't have that confidence right now.

May 14, 2014, 4:27 PM

what fan would have any confidence whatsoever in this team. luckily we dont play because our fans quit weeks ago. this team has certainly not played to expectations. i just for the life of me cant figure out why we cant let the season play out and see what changes are made before we spend 24/7 railing on a guy that has been to 6 world series. he will get it figured out or he will be gone. it really aint rocket surgery.

Fair enough, but have you seen anything this year

May 14, 2014, 4:34 PM

that would lead you to believe this team is poised for any type of post-season run?

Re: Fair enough, but have you seen anything this year

May 14, 2014, 4:36 PM

absolutely not. but i do know they "could" make a run with the guys they have. could is a big word though.

May 14, 2014, 4:39 PM

That's what I am hoping that something clicks and they figure it out at the right time...sad thing is I bet if you asked I would say there is a large amount of "fans" out there that would rather see the team fail and know that is better for jack leaving than see them turn it on this weekend and make a run to Omaha. I really believe they have the talent to do it but doing it from what I have seen this season and most importantly last weekend, doesn't feel good LOL

May 16, 2014, 1:57 AM

I'm not a baseball fan, but to me they just don't seem to have the talent. However, correct me if I'm wrong, if you have a couple of really good pitchers, anything can happen. Apparently losing teams with a couple of ace pitchers have in the past won the world series. I just heard this on all-sports radio, and really know nothing about the game. But then, Carolina has dominated us in virtually every sport for years. How and why? With football, I have some very definite opinions---and I think that is about to change. With baseball, I haven't a clue.

May 14, 2014, 5:03 PM [ in reply to Re: Fair enough, but have you seen anything this year ]

in baseball anything can happen but like you say based on performance to date it doesnt seem likely. but hey if they do I'll tip my hat to them

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

For once, we agree***

May 14, 2014, 5:39 PM [ in reply to Re: Fair enough, but have you seen anything this year ]

May 14, 2014, 4:42 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Leggett likes Clemson's tourney chances ]

And I am one saying its time for a change but I would be completely shocked if its after this year...I still think he maybe gets the opp to get rid of a few guys see what happens and he only has I think two years left on the contract....I think he at least gets that. I could be wrong I just don't see them firing him after this season especially if we make the tourney.

May 14, 2014, 4:52 PM

Some dude from Clemson insider was saying that Jack will be given the chance to make changes with the staff before D Rad kicks him to the curb, and that was yesterday I heard him say that.

May 14, 2014, 4:55 PM

I def believe that for sure...like I said I would be absolutely shocked if they just let jack go...he aint gonna retire the man is hard headed and I think genuinely loves the game, so he gets the chance to bring in some new guys until his contract ends...I mean hopefully we are all just being hard on a guy for no reason that shows us all up and has them ready when it matter most!

May 16, 2014, 2:01 AM

Let's hope.

Now we know....

May 14, 2014, 5:22 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Leggett likes Clemson's tourney chances ]

....what excuse the Jack fans will use next year when we are the same situation. "We have to give the staff changes time to work."

Message was edited by: Kaplony®

May 15, 2014, 7:52 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Leggett likes Clemson's tourney chances ]

yes it is the fans fault for the product on the field.

Good lord.

null

guess what!!!!

May 14, 2014, 4:40 PM

I dont

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think.....

May 14, 2014, 6:14 PM

Jack should have been gone about 4 years ago when it was evident that he was not recruiting local talent. I think that he has a bad reputation with the local high school coaches. I think this is due to his poor attitude to coaches and parents during the recruiting process. Jack has done too much damage in this area to ever recover fully. Remember how nice it was to be involved when we had local guys playing.....harbin ,chalk ,etc
I also remember how bad I felt every time win go stuck it to us. Check the roster and see how many local kids play for jack......

Save your ink for Football David Hood, This season is gone.***

May 14, 2014, 7:01 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

...well I don't like Leggett's chances

May 14, 2014, 7:02 PM

of winning taking the Tigers to Omaha any time soon. You gotta go Jack. We've had enough and are tired of seeing a proud tradition of trips to Omaha steadily decline with you at the helm. Be a man, admit it's time and move aside before the BOT is forced to act.

Re: ...well I don't like Leggett's chances

May 15, 2014, 12:05 AM

Steady decline of trips to Ohama is not factually correct. Under the legendary coach Wilhelm, Clemson went to the World Series 6 times. Only four times in his last 17 years. Coach Leggett has taken them four times in the last 14. The other two were in his 2nd and 3rd years I believe. Before you state those two don't count because they were with Wilhelm's players, Wilhelm's first two trips were in his 1st and 2nd years. Probably with another coaches players. So factually speaking, a relatively new occurrence on this board, our trips to Ohama have increased during the Leggett era as compared to Coach Wilhelm. That is not knocking Coach Wilhelm and his accomplishments. That is merely stating fact! I am not certain, but I believe The Leggett era includes one season of not making the NCAA tourney. Wilhelm led teams had 4 or 5 years in a row in the 80's that missed the NCAA tournament. that is unbiased fact, not opinion. Soooooooo, maybe we shouldn't view this situation thru orange colored glasses. This program is about on par with history. Facts are facts! We all want to be the best but in all actuality, history states that we are what we are. We are a perennial top 20 program.

Apples and oranges

May 15, 2014, 12:43 AM

For Wilhelm's entire career fewer teams made the postseason tournament, and teams were selected for district playoffs based on geography.

Re: Apples and oranges

May 15, 2014, 1:03 PM

With more teams making the tournament, you help make my point. With more teams making the tournament, its more difficult to make it to Omaha. Therefore making it four times in fourteen years is more impressive than four times in seventeen years. In addition, the Acc has dramatically improved in baseball. The emergence of Virginia, UNC, and NC State has made the conference alot tougher. While I will admit the last couple of years have been frustrating, baseball in general has more parity than ever before. The knee jerk reaction of many fans is typical. However, a historical dissection of our program wil reveal that we are no worse than we were 20 years ago. We are consistently good not great.

May 16, 2014, 2:32 AM

This is off topic, and if I get flamed for it so be it. The few times I watch Clemson baseball it has when they play Carolina. I've noticed that the Carolina players seem thicker, more powerful than ours. As it happens, I spent a couple of hour this evening drinking beer with a gentleman who's nephew may be poised to be a breakout RB for Clemson. Obviously I'm not mentioning names. He brought up our strength program, which he obviously regards as cra##. Joey Batson, like Jack Leggett, is an institution at Clemson. But, time has passed him by. I, as well as others, have brought this up before on this thread, only to get flamed as though we were attacking god. For example, Zac Brooks, has been here for 3 years, and is still playing at his HS weight of 185. Move him to wide receiver. He will do nothing at RB. We've been typically weak on the line of scrimmage---a bit better since we brought in the guy from Alabama, as an assistant to Coach Batson. Time for a change. This is our weak link.

You must be daft

May 17, 2014, 12:53 AM [ in reply to Re: Apples and oranges ]

Not only has the number of teams making the tournament changed, but how teams are selected has changed.

Teams used to be selected by geography. Teams with lesser records made the postseason because they were located in a specific district while teams with better records in stronger districts were left out. There were plenty of Wilhelm coached teams that would have made a district tournament had they been anywhere other than the south. Hell, for the majority of Wilhelm's career there were teams that made it to Omaha without playing a single postseason game. He did not have that advantage because he coached at a school in a region where college baseball has always been strong.

If you are going to make the claim that Jack is a better coach than Bill Wilhelm it might pay you to actually educate yourself on how the postseason worked back then.

May 16, 2014, 2:11 AM [ in reply to Apples and oranges ]

Food for thought.

So next year we'll hear "parity", "one pitch away", "half the teams lose"

May 14, 2014, 9:02 PM

Sounding a bit desperate. "Lots of teams in our situation". Yes, that is what mediocrity is all about. Clemson should be hosting a regional every year, period. Otherwise is disappointment.

EXACTLY!

May 14, 2014, 10:13 PM

We should be in a position to host every year, and in contention for a national seed at the very least 50% of the time.

It is all mental

May 15, 2014, 8:27 AM

Clemsons woes thus far are mental. Every kid on that team can bunt, they worked on it relentlessly in the fall and preseason and continue to do that during the season. Every player can field his position, there is not a kid on that team that cannot field a ground ball and make the throw to first base. If you remember, Baseball America said in the pre season that Kreiger may be the best defensive shortstop in the country...he has the tools to make every play. Right, wrong or indifferent, IF these PLAYERS refocus and have some fun I have no doubt that they can be a force. I can assure you that no pitcher has been offered a scholarship to Clemson, or any other program for that matter, that cannot throw a strike. Physically Clemson is fine, they just need a mental boost.

Re: It is all mental

May 15, 2014, 10:42 AM

Exactly. So where to they get their mental state of mind?

If it were one or two players

May 17, 2014, 12:55 AM

that might be an excuse.

When the majority of the team is like that it's time to start asking questions about the leadership.

May 18, 2014, 1:16 AM

I left them for dead... Way to battle back boys!!!!

Replies: 46
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic