Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: Swinney says he was originally just going to suspend Chad Kelly
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 1

FB Update: Swinney says he was originally just going to suspend Chad Kelly

Apr 23, 2014, 11:32 AM

Swinney says he was originally just going to suspend Chad Kelly

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: FB Update: Swinney says he was originally just going to suspend Chad Kelly

Apr 23, 2014, 11:34 AM

I would just say a spokesman put out CK's "apology". I don't see much ownership in that.

At least now the circus goes elsewhere for someone else to deal with

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Kelly's apology was probably part of the agreement

Apr 23, 2014, 11:53 AM

allowing him to transfer elsewhere. I know the PR machine when I see it. I think Dabo and the university handled the situation well and in the best interests of Chad Kelly. That's one of the main differences in our school versus the entire SEC if you choose to compare. I'd be interested to see if SCAR is listed as a school Kelly is not permitted to transfer in to.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

SC will be on the list.

Apr 23, 2014, 1:16 PM

Pretty typical of these types of agreements is that the player cannot directly transfer to any in conference school or any regular season opponent on the schedule for the rest of the players eligibility.

Of course if he goes the JC/D2 route, he could go anywhere he'd like after 1 year.

"Stalwart universities—Harvard, Princeton, Yale—most certainly offer status. The Citadel offers character. "

Re: SC will be on the list.

Apr 23, 2014, 4:37 PM

bingo.

Re: Kelly's apology was probably part of the agreement

Apr 23, 2014, 5:00 PM [ in reply to Kelly's apology was probably part of the agreement ]

I found it bizarre so many of you think we would have any interest in taking him. Thompson is the starter this year; next year Mitch, a highly recruited 4 star, will be battling with Nosovitch for the job. I have seen nothing from Kelly that would make me think he could crack the depth chart at QB, or that Spurrier would even take a look at him even without all the baggage.

Apr 23, 2014, 5:15 PM

I don't think Spurrier is worried about a player with "baggage".

By any chance did you collect a

Apr 23, 2014, 7:30 PM [ in reply to Re: Kelly's apology was probably part of the agreement ]

database of videos etc. that cover all of what you've seen, and please also add your corresponding detailed critique. I'm assuming you have a vast collection of data available which was used to form your opinion. I'm interested to see your analysis.

And just for the record, I haven't seen anything from Thompson that would suggest he could start at Clemson. But then again, I haven't seen a whole lot of him either. And yes, I saw him play pretty well against us..when we were down 3 starters in an already shallow depth chart at DB. Then I saw him against Missouri.. where he looked awful and was obviously going to lose the game.

Apr 23, 2014, 6:34 PM [ in reply to Kelly's apology was probably part of the agreement ]

He was dismissed...he can transfer wherever he wants to...Clemson has no control over that now so there is no "agreement".

Yes he has to sit a year of he goes I-A but he can go to any school that wants to take him.

And no...USC doesn't want that cancer.

Apr 23, 2014, 6:55 PM

:( didn't see your post. I said the same thing. :)

Apr 23, 2014, 6:53 PM [ in reply to Kelly's apology was probably part of the agreement ]

I figured if he was dismissed (kicked off the team) he could go anywhere he liked. No?

Apr 23, 2014, 11:34 AM

Pure class on Dabo's part

Apr 23, 2014, 11:50 AM

That is exactly what I want to hear from my head coach, class and regret. Wish he could have done more but the decision had to be made and he made the tough choice.

It's almost as if CK wanted to get kicked off the team.

Apr 23, 2014, 11:50 AM

Sort of a cry for help. At any rate, not only did Dabo do the right thing, but his comments are those of a man of conscience and character. And on top of that he's winning and building a great program.

As for CK, I'm glad his problems are no longer ours, but I hope he grows up and turns it around wherever he lands.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I don't know and I might be reaching but maybe Chad Kelly

Apr 23, 2014, 11:57 AM

saw the writing on the wall----Cole Stoudt starts this year and it is going to be Deshaun Watsons team next year.....

and he was just trying to save face and swag by getting

Apr 23, 2014, 11:59 AM

kicked off the team. Not much swag in the way he handles himself.

Apr 23, 2014, 12:14 PM

Dabo don't kno who he messen wit.
Signed Swag

Since Swag was officially kicked off the team...

Apr 23, 2014, 12:29 PM

does that mean he can transfer and play immediately without sitting a year?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Only if he goes down a level

Apr 23, 2014, 12:38 PM

He'd have to sit a year to transfer to another FBS school. Otherwise every school would "kick a player off" to help players transfer and play elsewhere.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Love our Coach and how he represents my Alma Mater - kinda

Apr 23, 2014, 12:30 PM

like a Tony Dungy type but much more outwardly emotional & passionate.

Love Dabo's passion & emotion. Apparently recruits and recruit's parents do, too.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

I agree with you, Rocky

Apr 23, 2014, 5:25 PM

Hope that's ok with you. I also thought Dabo's response to the FFRF complaint was spot on, just in case you were wondering.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All good - no malice about the FFRF crap - just

Apr 24, 2014, 8:59 AM

wasn't my point in the post.

I'd gladly buy you a beer at the next beer buying event.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Dabo did what he had to do, but it's just plain sad

Apr 23, 2014, 12:46 PM

It could very easily be a culmination of a lot of the points made above in this thread.
I've thought about the situation a lot as well & I do kinda feel like CK decided it was going to be a true "make it or break it" scenario honestly, which really his whole personality seems to be like that. This allows to not think clearly & control himself in an adult situation...A leaper before looker kinda guy, if you will. He knows what he's supposed to do & how to act, but just can't not wanna be flashy & the attention, the story. Dabo & the program laid it all out there for him, but he just couldn't control his own nature. It's sad, but that's one of the main reasons he didn't fit the program & team...maybe the playbook, but not the type team Clemson has built/is building, or the type of character for players representing our team & university.
Once again, it's sad for all involved, but that attitude & behavior only causes unnecessary drama & dissention (sp?) between the players within. A 'wannebe it all' just don't fit what the coaches are preaching & the structure of the program they want.
It's obvious that Dabo & the coaches truly care though & that's important. Dabo can't blame himself for having to make that tough decision, but it was necessary in order to not allow the team's morale to be poisoned. It takes a real man to say what he said & admit failing CK, which of course he didn't "fail" him, but teach him a very valuable life lesson that will probably save CK a much harder lesson later on when it could really affect his life & future. He has plenty of time& talent to recover but Dabo has to be applauded for doing what's difficult, yet best for the team & undoubtedly painful. It's not like CK wasn't likable or anything...he had something about him for sure & a certain confidence or charisma. He definitely still has tons of opportunity & talent, that "it"....just not an "it" for here in Clemson's program.

Move on & get better!

Go Tigers!

Apr 23, 2014, 1:01 PM

They are paying you to be the HC and to make those hard decisions coach. You have done what you felt was the best for the team. The minute coach Swinney said that the meeting didn't go well, I can picture the scene. I've saw first hand a many times how disrespectful those spoiled to the core rich kids can be to their own parents. So you can just imagine how disrespectful they will be towards other adults. I really wanted to see Kelly play, but not at the risk of poisoning the whole team. Dabo done the right thing by putting his butt in the road. Bye, and Clemson is better off without you Chad Kelly!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hate it Chad Kelly didn't make it. He is very talented!!

Apr 23, 2014, 1:29 PM

I pray this humbles Chad and he goes on to be a great pro player.
I was rooting for him to make it as our QB this year while Watson matured. He is so talented from the standpoint of throwing and buying time for great WR's or being a threat to run for 30 yards. His pride killed his shot to be the guy. The heat was to much when he felt like he was owed the position rather than showing he could bounce back and grow.

Dabo wanted to help him. Chad Morris loved his talent but his mouth and failure to be humble to authority in the heat of the battle killed a chance of a lifetime and a shot at a national title. He is going through a lot with his grandmother and Uncle. Cancer can test us all. I'm not sure I would have done any better at his age. I hate it he crossed the line.

I'm praying for his family and for Chad to grow from this situation. I'm thankful we are so loaded at QB and hope he finds a great team to use his talents.

I love the fact Dabo cares so much about each player but still makes tough decisions!!

Go Tigers!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Apr 23, 2014, 1:44 PM

Does Swinney not know that the whole team hates him? He must not read tigernet, chad Kelley had to go. Don't feel bad Coach Swinney, if u had the inside scoop like some of tigernet you would have done this a while ago.

Apr 23, 2014, 5:46 PM

Huh?

SAP a$$ post ...

Apr 23, 2014, 7:32 PM

I'm trying.

Apr 23, 2014, 1:46 PM

You can't fix stupid!!!!

Well said, Dabo...

Apr 23, 2014, 1:47 PM

He even puts some of the blame on himself. Dabo is a great HC and a great leader of men.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Well Chadwick, I was only going to suspend you but

Apr 23, 2014, 5:55 PM

since you pissed me off, how bout you pack you #### and GTFO.

Apr 23, 2014, 6:30 PM

First, let me say good riddance to CK. truly hope he straightens himself out, but it seems to me like he didn't fit as far as personality is concerned.
Second, a bunch of folks are on here saying he wasn't the right fit for the offense. Some of the same folks were writing how he was going to beat out stoudt for the starting job.
So which is it? Can't have it both ways.

In my mind he was a good fit athletically, but not emotionally or maybe even intellectually (not saying he is dumb, just doesn't know how to control his emotions, kind of like my 11 yr old daughter.)

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Leadership at it's finest

Apr 23, 2014, 6:31 PM

As an Army Officer, that is the attitude that I have. My subordinates don't fail, I fail them if a mission is not met.

Video of Chad Kelly during meeting:

Apr 23, 2014, 8:19 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6szSy_UBL_U

Pretty much like this.

Re: Video of Chad Kelly during meeting:

Apr 23, 2014, 8:23 PM

Chad Kelly would have been our backup . There was no getting around that fact , and unless Cole played terribly this yeat or was injured he was fated to be second string his entire college career.
Now , he can go play for Mississippi Tech Howardsville for a year then transfer into a school like USuC and be the starter from day one.
It may not seem like a great place to end up , but the Coots look qb challenged going forward.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Re: Video of Chad Kelly during meeting:

Apr 24, 2014, 5:31 PM [ in reply to Video of Chad Kelly during meeting: ]
watch[1](106.7 K)

i'd say it was more like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3REpHHSHBQ

in response to: "you aren't going to be the starter acting like this this...what were you thinking, & what did you say to Coach Morris & Ali Rodgers anyways?" asks Dabo

Message was edited by: jbthe1tiger99®
censorship required for sensitive ears ;)

Well***

Apr 24, 2014, 8:28 AM

Best Is The Standard

DEER CHAD, My way or the highway?

Apr 24, 2014, 9:06 AM

Seeya.

signed
Dabo

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sabotaged himself unconsciously - behind Stoudt and Watson***

Apr 24, 2014, 9:17 AM

Yep.

Apr 24, 2014, 9:20 AM

Every position is open every year. Chad thought he was entitled to the starting job but he came in third though I believe Watson may have red shirted.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 39
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic