Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: K.J. McDaniels taking his talents to the NBA
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 51
| visibility 1

New Story: K.J. McDaniels taking his talents to the NBA

Apr 22, 2014, 11:03 AM

K.J. McDaniels taking his talents to the NBA

Clemson swingman K.J. McDaniels will forego his final season of eligibility and declare for the NBA Draft. TigerNet speaks with McDaniels' mother - Shawn McDaniels - about the decision. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GOOD LUCK

Apr 22, 2014, 11:05 AM

I wish you nothing but the best and will be excited to see where you land KJ!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: GOOD LUCK

Apr 22, 2014, 11:08 AM

good luck in the D league

So in 3.5 years, THAT is your contribution here?

Apr 22, 2014, 11:15 AM

Interesting choice I suppose

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 22, 2014, 11:28 AM [ in reply to Re: GOOD LUCK ]

U mad, Coot?

Apr 22, 2014, 12:19 PM [ in reply to Re: GOOD LUCK ]

NJCU...you are a selfish prick. KJ will be drafted in the first round, and that guarantees him a 2-3 year deal. He will make the big squad. Kid will improve like crazy in the next year.

Apr 22, 2014, 2:46 PM [ in reply to Re: GOOD LUCK ]

Is that the d-bag league where you hang out?

Apr 22, 2014, 2:54 PM [ in reply to Re: GOOD LUCK ]

I think the only D league you know anything about is the ##### league.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

2 post

Apr 22, 2014, 6:37 PM [ in reply to Re: GOOD LUCK ]

too many

Apr 22, 2014, 12:21 PM [ in reply to GOOD LUCK ]

Good Luck KJ. Wish you nothing but the best. Wish you were going to be with the Tigers though.

Best of luck, come back and finish your degree!***

Apr 22, 2014, 11:09 AM

For KJ's sake, its the best decision

Apr 22, 2014, 4:55 PM

IMO.

:)

Good for him.

Oct 8, 2015, 6:58 PM

He's not gonna score a lot of points right now, but he will play right away and be a defensive presence. To me, it's rarely a good idea to turn away from multiple millions of dollars, which is what he's looking at.

Would those dollars mysteriously disappeared if he had come

Apr 22, 2014, 11:13 AM

back and gotten better?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Perhaps

Apr 22, 2014, 11:14 AM

To be frank it's a gamble either way.

Can't blame a man for making the choice to get paid when he can.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They would have if he came back and blew an ACL

Apr 22, 2014, 11:14 AM [ in reply to Would those dollars mysteriously disappeared if he had come ]

Or came back and didn't improve, a la Marcus Smart.

True

Apr 22, 2014, 11:17 AM

He's trading on a good deal of potential right now.

Of course he could've come back and shown even more, but he also could've come back and been injured. Or come back and shown the potential was lower than it appears right now.

Can't blame him for the decision one bit.

Plus, he will "get better" faster in the NBA than he will

Apr 22, 2014, 11:18 AM

at Clemson, and get paid to do it. Then when the time comes for the second contract...

If he doesn't get an outside shot and a handle, he won't see

Apr 22, 2014, 12:00 PM

a second contract

How many players who came back last year blew an ACL?***

Apr 22, 2014, 11:59 AM [ in reply to They would have if he came back and blew an ACL ]

Re: How many players who came back last year blew an ACL?***

Apr 22, 2014, 12:48 PM

How many players who came back last year are going to be top picks this year?

Re: Would those dollars mysteriously disappeared if he had come

Apr 22, 2014, 1:06 PM [ in reply to Would those dollars mysteriously disappeared if he had come ]

If he was mine, he would be gone to the league, Money chances come once in life, sometimes never, break that ankle bad or tear up that knee and its over. Look at the kid from ALabama that was injured agasint Florida some years ago, he can barely walk now. Go get the guaranteed money now. Best of luck

Re: Would those dollars mysteriously disappeared if he had come

Apr 22, 2014, 2:49 PM [ in reply to Would those dollars mysteriously disappeared if he had come ]

Ask the former Louisville player that broke his leg in the tourney last year how his injury has affected him.

Good Luck KJ BUT do not believe a word out of a sports

Apr 22, 2014, 11:12 AM

agent's mouth. I know you are smart young man you chose Clemson, make sure everything is in writing ie returning to Clemson for your degree. They will say anything to get you to sign.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Good Luck KJ BUT do not believe a word out of a sports

Apr 22, 2014, 11:21 AM

If he is drafted 19th as suggested, I wonder what he will net after taxes and the agents fees? It will not be millions!

I bet it would be quite a bit more than

Apr 22, 2014, 11:21 AM

What he would make at Clemson! Thanks Mark Emmert! :)

19th last year : Sergey Kasarev

Apr 22, 2014, 11:24 AM [ in reply to Re: Good Luck KJ BUT do not believe a word out of a sports ]

3yr 4.6 Million

http://www.sportando.com/en/cat/nba/104028/cavs-sign-sergey-karasev-to-a-three-year-dollars46m-deal.html

Not too shabby

Re: Good Luck KJ BUT do not believe a word out of a sports

Apr 22, 2014, 2:53 PM [ in reply to Re: Good Luck KJ BUT do not believe a word out of a sports ]

Sergey Karasev signed a 2 year / $3.00 million contract with the Cleveland Cavaliers, including $3,001,680 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $1,500,840.

Why would that have to be in writing

Apr 22, 2014, 11:22 AM [ in reply to Good Luck KJ BUT do not believe a word out of a sports ]

from his agent? He just needs to decide for himself that he is going to do it and then actually return to get his degree. The agent is just telling his mom that he is going to keep putting it in his head to do it.

Not a bitter CU Basketball fan but...

Apr 22, 2014, 11:40 AM

I know we're a football school so no one really cares, but this is a big loss for the basketball program and I honestly believe a good showing in the big dance would put him in a better position to be drafted. "as high as 19" is like saying my 2 year old daughter could become President of the United States of America. Anything is possible, right? Best case scenario, an NBA bench player that an come in for D. There is no way its worth passing up on the potential of making a run in the big dance.

Dancing... or, working and making a few $Million? Let me see***

Apr 22, 2014, 12:26 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think he has more of a chance

Apr 8, 2015, 8:46 PM [ in reply to Not a bitter CU Basketball fan but... ]

of being drafted "as high as 19" than your daughter of being the president.

Re: New Story: K.J. McDaniels taking his talents to the NBA

Apr 22, 2014, 12:02 PM

Thanks for all of the spectacular memories....I wish you nothing, but the best!!!

Apr 22, 2014, 12:19 PM

Best of luck KJ! he has single handedly kept our bball team afloat, and now that he has a great opportunity our fans are mad!?!? Why not quit being selfish and wish the kid yhe best! He will be a better pro than he was a college player. ... the pro game is catered to his style of play! Go Tigers!

Good luck KJ and thank you for being a Tiger

Apr 22, 2014, 12:33 PM

First round bound for sure!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

W.W.U.D What would you do?

Apr 22, 2014, 12:52 PM

Getting paid to play the game you love for more money than most of his fellow students will make in the first 15-20 years after graduation.

It wouldn't even be a question but a very good financial decision. I know he loves Clemson and I believe he will get his degree.

He's going to be a very good NBA player for a long time because he has learned to play defense. He can't but help our recruiting and I believe he will help recruiting in anyway possible. He loves Clemson, like the rest of us.

K.J. You were very special and I loved watching you put this team on your back and carry them. Thank you and hope to see you play in the NBA and represent Clemson as a class act! Your awesome KJ!!

Go Tigers!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Re: W.W.U.D What would you do?

Apr 22, 2014, 12:54 PM

I agree... Degrees are so overrated. He's going to be getting paid to do what he loves. Isn't the whole point of a degree? Do people think it matters that Kobe, Lebron, Jordan, etc. didn't get their degree before playing?

My butt would be gone!!!!

Apr 22, 2014, 2:54 PM [ in reply to W.W.U.D What would you do? ]

nm

You guys have no idea how good KJ is...

Apr 22, 2014, 12:52 PM

Everybody on here is saying he should come back to develop. The dude averaged 20 pts a game with no "handle" or "shot." Do you have any idea how hard that is to do at this level? And he was the leading shot blocker and rebounder on the team.
He's a top 20 pick already, and we need players like him to do things like this to build up the credibility of our program. He's a great defender and he's smart. It's much easier to learn the other skills when it's your profession and you don't have to worry about going to class and taking exams.
Godspeed KJ!

Good move for KJ i think, but that kills next season.

Apr 22, 2014, 12:56 PM

Yeah our other players will improve, yeah we are bringing in some freshmen that can contribute, you don't get better losing a guy like KJ.

Big mistake on his part

Apr 22, 2014, 3:07 PM

He could come back and continue to hone his offensive skills like ball handling and shooting and he'd be a top 10-12 pick next year. Now, he'll be luck to go in the bottom of the first round. That's a HUGE difference in money and contract.

What makes you think he would go top 10-12?

Apr 23, 2014, 9:10 AM

Guys are either lottery picks or they aren't and it's usually evident who is going to be a lottery pick when they are still in HS! KJ is great, but he's NEVER going to be a lottery pick. EVER.

Not now***

Apr 23, 2014, 4:39 PM

Just Tajh raised his draft stock by staying...***

Apr 23, 2014, 10:50 AM [ in reply to Big mistake on his part ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 22, 2014, 3:24 PM

I know my response is not going to be one that is very popular, but I will state my opinion and respect each of your opinions about the topic.

I think KJ should focus on being a good NBA player at this point. Finishing school is something that he can do later- if necessary. When he is drafted and plays with a team, chances are he will need time to adjust to the NBA style of basketball. After his first season as an NBA player, he will have a ton of components of his game that will need to be improved-if he plans to remain in the league and reach veteran status. He will not have time to attend school, study, meet all classroom requirements, etc. He has given up apart of his academic life to utilize the talents that he has been given. It is time to give that art/talent 100%.

He has a chance to lay a solid foundation for the remainder of his life. Hell, he will make more in one contract that the average American earns in a lifetime. Lets be real! Finishing college for him will be more of a formality. He will not learn more about money management, or some creative way to live life more comfortably. Based on the economy we live in today, a college degree means very little. It takes work experience, knowing someone, exceptional interviewing skills, along with the college degree. Again, being real, KJ might make 30K with his college degree (very slim maybe). People are not hiring, so he could have sat out for months, working at "mom and pops" establishments, trying to use his degree. Those of us who are real, know I am telling the truth. That kid would be similar to most other athletes who graduate from college and go into the work force. They struggle like hell. If KJ signs a contract worth 1.5 mil over 3 or 4 years (guaranteed money), it would take him 50 years to earn that salary. Ha Ha! I really laugh at people who try to push athletes to finish their education while trying to improve their game. I think it is great to finish school, if he has "Have Arrived", and just finished a second contract or signed a multi-million dolllar deal on his second contract. Most of America go to college to earn a degree- for what? To make enough money to live comfortably. Well, KJ will accomplish that task without finishing college. Now if he blows his money or tries to live beyond his means, he is screwed, but if I were advising him, I am telling him, push as hard as you can to become the best NBA player you can become. We will talk about finishing college when you have time and energy to invest in academics. Right now, you have to survive in this league.

Mistake, disagree with the young man's decision, but

Apr 22, 2014, 3:29 PM

proud to have been able to watch him play. He was a great example of what a college player should be, on and off the court. And sitting next to his mom and Aunt a couple of seasons ago down in Orlando for a tourney and listening to them cheer and yell and talk trash will always be one of the more entertaining games I've got to see.

Apr 22, 2014, 4:09 PM

There goes our ACC hopes

Re: Thanks, and all the best!

Apr 22, 2014, 7:53 PM

Best of luck in your NBA career. Make yourself, your family and Clemson fans proud.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 23, 2014, 9:55 AM

Just glad to see another tiger in the NBA, will give me 2 teams to pull for :)

We won't win 10 games next year***

Apr 23, 2014, 1:30 PM

Nm

Did you think we would win 20 this year?***

Apr 23, 2014, 4:38 PM

Bad vibe title of article

Apr 23, 2014, 6:59 PM

conjures LeBron and the decision. Poor choice of words here.

Replies: 51
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic