Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: Clemson's official statement on the Freedom From Religion Foundation
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 51
| visibility 1

FB Update: Clemson's official statement on the Freedom From Religion Foundation

Apr 17, 2014, 5:04 PM

Clemson's official statement on the Freedom From Religion Foundation

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: FB Update: Clemson's official statement on the Freedom From Religion Foundation

Apr 17, 2014, 4:06 PM

Mhh, not bad.

I do think "go 'You know what' yourself" would have been better.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wish I could give you a million pts for that

Apr 17, 2014, 6:00 PM

nm

I wish I could do the same thing everytime someone tries to

Apr 17, 2014, 8:00 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Clemson's official statement on the Freedom From Religion Foundation ]

witness or tell me what happens when I die....but I choose to take the high road.

Re: I wish I could do the same thing everytime someone tries to

Apr 18, 2014, 10:50 AM

Good. FFRF should do the same.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That won't satiate those extortionists.

Apr 17, 2014, 5:07 PM

Expect more from these hatemongers and trouble-makers.

But, glad to see Clemson will not back down.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Need to call Jay Sekulow

Apr 17, 2014, 5:09 PM

:)

I may then consider making a donation to them

Apr 17, 2014, 5:10 PM

since I get at least one-two solicitations per month

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Re: Need to call Jay Sekulow

Apr 17, 2014, 7:30 PM [ in reply to Need to call Jay Sekulow ]

Well I have to agree with you 100%. I just googled Mr Jay Sekulow. And from what I heard and read about him, he would cause the Atheist attorney create a puddle of pissss on the Supreme Court House floor. Somebody Email the FFRF and tell them to bring it, and to stop singing it, and then end it by telling them that their attorney is a punk.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That won't satiate those extortionists.

Apr 17, 2014, 7:03 PM [ in reply to That won't satiate those extortionists. ]

I think that Dabo would step down if they tried to stop him from discussing his faith.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think that you are 100% correct. God is at the center

Apr 17, 2014, 7:31 PM

of Dabo's life.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 17, 2014, 8:34 PM [ in reply to Re: That won't satiate those extortionists. ]

Dabo has consistently demonstrated that he values his principles above all else and I love him for it..

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Apr 17, 2014, 8:14 PM [ in reply to That won't satiate those extortionists. ]

someone is paying WAY too much attention to this group of IDIOTS!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes it will

Apr 17, 2014, 8:23 PM [ in reply to That won't satiate those extortionists. ]

The FFRF has made their point, has stirred up the hornets nest, and gotten their name splashed all over the media. Clemson's curt response to this will let them fade back to where they came from once all of this is over. They'll move on to the next target, like PETA does.

Nailed It******

Apr 17, 2014, 5:07 PM

Re: FB Update: Clemson's official statement on the Freedom From Religion Foundation

Well Done!!

You can't reconcile their letter with this

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=15267949

Brush them off and carry on

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Many of us atheists love Clemson just as much.

Apr 18, 2014, 1:53 PM

Religion is a personal matter. I am happy for Coach Dabo that faith means a lot to him and it gives him comfort and purpose in life. He has never tried to push it on anyone as far as I know. He should be allowed to practice his faith and all prayers etc are (and should remain) strictly voluntary. FFRF should leave Clemson alone, I don't believe there is any coersion at Clemson. That said, I wonder if there are any atheists at Clemson these days - they were rare to none when I attended back in 70s. I owe my entire career and happy life to education i received at Clemson. Best place and people in the world. Go Tigers.

Translation....

Apr 17, 2014, 5:10 PM

Deer FFRF,

Up yours !!!!

Your Friend in Christ,

Clemson University

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

I would be laughing for days if they really signed

Apr 17, 2014, 5:11 PM

the official letter that way!!

:D

That may violate seperation of church and state....

Apr 17, 2014, 5:15 PM

and Lord knows, we'd never do that.

;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Translation....

Apr 17, 2014, 5:14 PM [ in reply to Translation.... ]

HILARIOUS!!

I have tears rolling down my face, laughing so hard!***

Apr 18, 2014, 10:48 AM [ in reply to Translation.... ]

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 17, 2014, 5:12 PM

and with that---we need to talk about something else and let this die the death that it deserves....

So, about CK's reinstatement ...***

Apr 17, 2014, 5:12 PM

i think CU said F U!

Apr 17, 2014, 5:49 PM

we gottar own waya doin thins roun heer ;)

ALL IN or all out...

I AM NOT clicking on this.

Apr 17, 2014, 5:25 PM

Do you guys think I'm that gullible? ;)

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

Apr 17, 2014, 5:42 PM

Agree wholeheartedly and proud to be a tiger. Now let's let it die and go where the other trash goes.

Lawyer speak for...

Apr 17, 2014, 5:57 PM

kiss the south end of a north bound mule

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hopefully the story dies with this response. Do not want

Apr 17, 2014, 5:58 PM

any negative attention on my beloved university.

Re: Hopefully the story dies with this response. Do not want

Apr 17, 2014, 6:06 PM

Don't think it is making Clemson look bad what so ever..Read a article on Foxnews about it that described the 80,000 rabid fans, the sea of orange on game days and the love of our Tigers..Probably exposed the awesomeness of Clemson even more....That and the school and athletic departments stand on their principals and beliefs to me equals a win for Clemson..also pushed the Kelly incident away from the radar..win win..lol

FoxNews will defend Clemson because of the context of the

Apr 17, 2014, 6:09 PM

story. They always trump up examples of "anti-Christian" behavior to get conservatives mobilized. But if CNN or MSNBC get a hold of the story... which I doubt they will... we might have a problem on our hands.

Re: FoxNews will defend Clemson because of the context of the

Apr 17, 2014, 6:25 PM

MSNBC is still withholding the truth about benghazi and the irs scandal.

Re: FoxNews will defend Clemson because of the context of the

Apr 17, 2014, 7:18 PM [ in reply to FoxNews will defend Clemson because of the context of the ]

> story. They always trump up examples of
> "anti-Christian" behavior to get conservatives
> mobilized. But if CNN or MSNBC get a hold of the
> story... which I doubt they will... we might have a
> problem on our hands.

If CNN and MSNBC get hold of it, 38 more people will hear about it.

Re: Hopefully the story dies with this response. Do not want

Apr 17, 2014, 7:50 PM [ in reply to Re: Hopefully the story dies with this response. Do not want ]

I think everything turned out better than could be expected(both incidents).
Personally believe the public perceived both issues as well handled by coaching staff and university officials.

Apr 17, 2014, 6:19 PM

May have been posted before but I fear that it will not be long before they then attack our prayer before football games in Death Valley. That will be next.

Apr 17, 2014, 8:24 PM

Nascar has a Chaplin say a prayer before every race. There is prayer before every super bowl kick off. The FFRF A holes ain't going to do no more that they are doing now. The more they stir their bucket of chit, they just make it stink even more. Before long, even the Atheist community will feel the the FFRF only works hard at stirring the bucket just to inhale that smell!!!

Apr 17, 2014, 9:57 PM

The difference is those are private professional sports organizations. The complaint is that Clemson is a public state funded institution that is pushing a single religion through its football team. Now with that said, I vote we go private before we yield to these agenda pushing a-holes if it comes down to it!
God Bless Dabo and Clemson!!!!

Apr 17, 2014, 6:46 PM

in other words stick it up your ###

Apr 17, 2014, 8:25 PM

Not in other words, in actual words.

Apr 17, 2014, 6:58 PM

Maybe the Foundation should re-read the Constitution. The actual wording is "Freedom OF religion". What a sad life they lead having to attack where no complaints have been registered.

Apr 17, 2014, 7:11 PM

Actually, nowhere is that actual wording found...just FYI.

The 1st Amendment protect this right which is generally referred to as 'Freedom OF Religion'...but those words are never written.

It's probably why the FFRF used that name, as satire. But those words, like 'Separation of Church and State' are not written in the US Constitution.

Apr 17, 2014, 7:18 PM

They got it correct.

They could have told them to" go to ____!" , but those types don't believe in that place either.
Well done BOT

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Apr 17, 2014, 11:39 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Clemson's official statement on the Freedom From Religion Foundation ]

They got it correct.

They could have told them to" go to ____!" , but those types don't believe in that place either.
Well done BOT

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Apr 18, 2014, 2:47 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Clemson's official statement on the Freedom From Religion Foundation ]

It refers directly to freedom of religion. "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech"

(make no law) prohibiting the free exercise (of religion).

And "abridging the freedom of speech" doesn't exclude speech about any subject therefore including speech about religion.
Seems pretty clear to me.

Separation of church and state is a whole other issue, but people have made very valid points on here about the difference between God and State vs. Church and State and how the courts have viewed it in the past.

Apr 17, 2014, 7:39 PM

IMO,A good response from the administration.

Sums it up...

Apr 17, 2014, 8:59 PM

No complaints have been received, they are obligated to provide support for these young men, and they have rights backed by the highest court in the land.

As a Christian it makes me sad that they are going after the program over religious reasons when all the responses have shown that nothing has been forced on players former or current. As a fan, however, if some crap story about forcing certain beliefs on people is the only complaint someone can find on the program, I think that says a lot that Dabo & Co. are dedicated to developing these young men into winners on & off the field.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

D@mned right

Apr 17, 2014, 10:56 PM

This is Clemson at its best. FFRF can shove it. They are purely just snooping around and tryin to hurt us. Don't fix it if it ain't broke.

Re: D@mned right

Apr 20, 2014, 12:24 PM

AMEN! Well said.

Don't tread on me.***

Apr 18, 2014, 12:50 AM

Apr 18, 2014, 3:13 PM

I'm a 1989 graduate of Clemson and also a supporter of the Freedom From Religion Foundation (ffrf.org). Thought I now live in Texas, I continue to follow Tiger football and I think Coach Swinney has done a great job with the team.

While I'm a big fan of his coaching, I think he should keep in mind the power and influence he has over the young men in his care. He could use his position to embrace and respect diversity of thought and ideas rather than pushing his personal faith on young people who might be uncomfortable expressing any disagreement with his religious beliefs.

There's just no reason to mix coaching with proselytizing. Stick to football.

This is what I take from Clemson's response:

Apr 24, 2014, 9:11 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Replies: 51
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic