Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Watson's time starts sooner rather than later
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

New Story: Watson's time starts sooner rather than later

Apr 14, 2014, 9:50 PM

Watson's time starts sooner rather than later

Chad Kelly is no longer a part of Clemson’s quarterback rotation and somewhere around Clemson, Deshaun Watson is working on rehabilitating his fractured collarbone with a renewed sense of purpose. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Watson's time starts sooner rather than later

Apr 14, 2014, 9:56 PM

I agree. If he is healthy and learns as he should, he'll be the man pretty #### fast . . unless Cole and the Tigers are on a roll.

Apr 14, 2014, 10:25 PM

Well I think the bottom line was that there was never enough room at Clemson for both Kelly and Watson. If Stoudt wins the battle then Kelly transfers and Stoudt starts and as long as he/the team does well then he remains the starter and Watson takes over the next year. As soon as Stoudt and/ or the team struggles then Watson takes over.

If however Kelly would have won the battle and played well and the team does well then Watson would have had a hard time beating him out next year. Just hard to beat out an incumbent who played well and the team did well.

This scenario, however it came about, is what us best for the team both now and in the future.

Apr 14, 2014, 11:43 PM

Kelly would have never of just transferred. He was bound to go down kicking and screaming which is what happened even before a starter could be named. I think he felt the job slipping away Saturday and couldn't take it. Honestly this is probably a blessing to the football team. All the focus is on Cole Stoudt and Georgia in the fall and the probability that Kelly would have became a cancer in the locker room is out the door with him.

exactly

Apr 15, 2014, 8:04 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Watson's time starts sooner rather than later ]

good stuff.

and i have heard players (Seniors) say that Watson is "the best QB we have ever seen".

freshmen usually do not garner that type of praise from upper classmen

Stoudt will have to be near perfect and without injury

Apr 14, 2014, 10:45 PM

for Watson to RS at this point, I think.

The thing that gives me hope is we may not have to rely on Stoudt's arm for the long ball if we can really get the range of runners up to speed. Having Gallman, Dye, and Fleming jamming it up the center and Davidson, Howard, and Brooks more on the edges and screens will cover for any problems we may have in the air. Stoudt is accurate and able to check progressions well. Just not proven on the long ball yet.

Re: Stoudt will have to be near perfect and without injury

Apr 14, 2014, 10:51 PM

With Kelly gone, there's no chance we'll redshirt Watson. He'll get put in at the end of games to get some on field experience for next year.

That is, if he doesn't take the starting spot this year.

No redshirt

Apr 14, 2014, 11:49 PM

agree there is no way Watson is Redshirting this year. Even if Cole starts the whole year Watson will see playing time whenever the game allows and will see lots of game time by the end of the year to gain experience as fast as he can for the future. Much like Tajh did during Parkers last season.

I agree with you and even think he gets in some games when

Apr 15, 2014, 6:30 AM

the outcome is still undecided to get some real game action.

Impossible

Apr 15, 2014, 4:23 AM [ in reply to Stoudt will have to be near perfect and without injury ]

I think it will be impossible to RS Watson at this point. Cole may not have the "big arm" to throw the deep ball as well as Tajh did, but he is methodical in his progression and reading the coverages. He takes what the defense gives him nearly every time. That is something Tajh had a tough time doing through his career. He got better his lat year though. We may not see the 30 or 40 yard bombs and high flying offense that scores in a few minutes. Instead we may see grind it out short to medium range completions while still being up tempo. They could actually take some time off the clock doing this. Should be interesting on that aspect, but the depth is scary now.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think a redshirt is out. DW will have to get some

Apr 15, 2014, 6:29 AM [ in reply to Stoudt will have to be near perfect and without injury ]

meaningful playing time this year to help his progression to become the starter next year.

The Truth will out..******

Apr 14, 2014, 10:58 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I also recall Boyd saying Kelly would be a breakout player***

Apr 14, 2014, 11:18 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I also recall Boyd saying Kelly would be a breakout player***

Apr 14, 2014, 11:43 PM

It's unfortunate that things had to end negatively between Clemson & Kelly. (Especially considering his passion for both Clemson & football)

Although truth be told, I think his transfer might be best (for Kelly at least) considering the talent at the QB position at Clemson.

There are likely many other schools that would be a better fit for him IMO.

I wish he and his family success, luck & good health.

Re: I also recall Boyd saying Kelly would be a breakout player***

Apr 15, 2014, 10:22 AM [ in reply to I also recall Boyd saying Kelly would be a breakout player*** ]

That was before Boyd saw Watson! :)

Boyd was right. Kelly did break out... just not like hoped.***

Apr 15, 2014, 11:25 AM [ in reply to I also recall Boyd saying Kelly would be a breakout player*** ]

Worry that Stoudt & Watson tOO light to stand the grind imo

Apr 15, 2014, 1:20 AM

GoTiGERS!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nah. Stoudt is stout.

Apr 15, 2014, 7:01 AM

Big ol' boy. Tall and thick enough. Watson is just a kid. He needs some more meat on his bones. And bone on his bones. They seems to crack easily.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 15, 2014, 6:57 AM

Hype, hype, and More Hype!!! For a lot of us that has been around and into college FB six or seven decades. We have seen some really good QBs at Clemson. For the better part of my life, Clemson has mostly been a run the ball first team. But now in this college FB era, plays and the play books has become so complicated, red shirting a true freshman QB has worked out better for the team and these high profile QBs. And we have seen what was suppose to great QBs coming out of HS, ruined by throwing them in as a true freshman. Confidence can be very hard to regain after being thrown to the wolves way to early. I'm not saying that Watson won't be able to do the job. But I am saying that he will have a very tough road to hold. Right now I'm praying that Cole stays healthy and can keep our offense going. And I'm praying that our Defense is as good as we think they will be. Just saying!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Tough road to hold"? A new T-net expression? Hoe! Hoe! Hoe!***

Apr 15, 2014, 11:36 AM

Go hoe in the road.... Good luck.***

Apr 15, 2014, 11:39 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: "Tough road to hold"? A new T-net expression? Hoe! Hoe! Hoe!***

Apr 15, 2014, 12:31 PM [ in reply to "Tough road to hold"? A new T-net expression? Hoe! Hoe! Hoe!*** ]

That's exactly right, Tough Road to hold. You know, like traveling down a rocky, curvy mountain roads. But I guess some are more use to the Farmers saying as in, a tough row to hoe. But as a past 18 wheeler owner operator, a drivers saying is a tough road to hold. But on tnet, some has no more to add other than what they believe in their mind, that a quote has been miss quoted, or a word misspelled. But that usually only happens to the "ones" that believe they actually know it all. But all that is fine and dandy compared to the ones that never have anything to add other than a 100% negativity. I bet you don't have a clue about that meaning either, do you Razzmyass... Just saying:)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It would be the first time I can remember...

Apr 15, 2014, 8:07 AM

if we really had anyone competing at the QB position during the season. Broken ribs, bad games, and bad decision making has never led to another QB playing in the past once a starter is named for this or the previous coaching staff (they only get mop up duty). I can see both sides of why this is but I prefer to use the bench when a player is not focused. It also introduces something different a defense has to deal with and it has been effective AGAINST us with USUCK. I hope we play the better player each game.

DON'T DOUBT STOUDT

Apr 15, 2014, 10:32 AM

Why are so many concerned about 'old reliable' staying healthy and leading the Tigers??

Stoudt/Schuessler....Redshirt DW...

Yep. Probably still TRY to redshirt Watson if Stoudt healthy***

Apr 15, 2014, 11:41 AM

Stoudt is our starter and will prove to be a darn good one.***

Apr 15, 2014, 11:08 AM

Stoudt's time begins now. Save your stories on Watson.***

Apr 15, 2014, 11:13 AM

Well, I said from day 1

Apr 15, 2014, 5:25 PM

Watson was the best of the 3-Now, he MAY have a chance to prove that.

Apr 16, 2014, 7:46 PM

Watson will b a great player but needs a year to learn the offense under stoudts wing given stoudt backed up one of the best qbs we've had

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic