Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
BKB Update: K.J. McDaniels ranked in the 1st round of ESPN's Big Board
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

BKB Update: K.J. McDaniels ranked in the 1st round of ESPN's Big Board

Apr 9, 2014, 8:52 AM

K.J. McDaniels ranked in the 1st round of ESPN's Big Board

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

####... looking less and less likely, but happy that he is

Apr 9, 2014, 8:54 AM

considered 1st round talent. I'm pretty selfish and want him to stay though...

Projected 25 is no sure thing, means he's borderline

Apr 9, 2014, 9:00 AM

first round depending on who else declares and foreign players drafted. We'll know soon, but he's taking a big chance if he comes out. First round is guaranteed money and roster spot. Second round has no guarantees. My biggest question is still: with the lack of an outside shot and just average ball handling, where does he play? He's a 2-guard in the NBA and he just does not have real 2-guard skills right now

His ball-handling is definitely a weak point, and his jumper

Apr 9, 2014, 9:07 AM

seems to be easily guardable in the NBA

With his athleticism, why is he a 2?***

Apr 9, 2014, 9:14 AM [ in reply to Projected 25 is no sure thing, means he's borderline ]

He's really more of a 3....

Apr 9, 2014, 9:47 AM

mainly because of his ability to get to the line and draw fouls although he is a little on the small side to play the 3 in the NBA.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Because he's only 6'5" 200 pounds...

Apr 9, 2014, 9:56 AM [ in reply to With his athleticism, why is he a 2?*** ]

In the NBA, Small Forwards include LeBron, Durant, Carmelo, Paul George, Rudy Gay, Luol Deng who are all 6'8" + and not only tower over him, but also have huge strength advantages. The only starting SF in the NBA even comparable to McDaniels's size is Andre Iguodola.

He has average size for an NBA SG. He has the potential to be an elite perimeter defender. He's at least a few years away though from being able to score at all at the NBA level.

He doesn't have to defend the same position on defense.***

Apr 9, 2014, 11:32 AM

So the team that drafts him needs a 6'8, 240 2 guard?***

Apr 9, 2014, 12:11 PM

Exactly***

Apr 9, 2014, 1:39 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No. but the 6-8 dude will be defending him, so there's that***

Apr 9, 2014, 1:44 PM [ in reply to He doesn't have to defend the same position on defense.*** ]

Not many 6'5 or 6'6 SF's in the NBA

Apr 9, 2014, 10:13 AM [ in reply to With his athleticism, why is he a 2?*** ]

I think he can definitely play in the NBA next year but doubt he will see more than a handful of minutes a game. Offensively he is not ready for the NBA game. Defensively he can step in a be a factor.

I hope he comes back for obvious reasons but I also think he should come back and try to develop a 3 point shot and better ball handeling skills before moving on to the next level.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Kevin Durant, Lebron James, Kobe Bryant, Carmelo Anthony

Apr 9, 2014, 10:26 AM [ in reply to With his athleticism, why is he a 2?*** ]

just a few of the 3's in the NBA. KJ's athleticism will not be nearly the factor in the NBA that it is in college

Kobe has been a 2 for a decade, but he did play 3 when he

Apr 9, 2014, 1:40 PM

came into the NBA

he has to go-- every year you wait is a year you won't be

Apr 9, 2014, 9:31 AM [ in reply to Projected 25 is no sure thing, means he's borderline ]

paid-- he won't be a lottery pick even if he comes back-- there will just be a new crop of 18 year olds next year that take those spots along with the growing pool of foreign players(he will be considered an old man next year)-- even if he ends up 2nd round or with a high European team, he can negotiate a return to school-- $50K to finish his education at any point in his life is easy to negotiate-- have the team put it in a trust -- selfishly, I'd like to see him stay but staying doesn't make sense the way things work these days

Re: he has to go-- every year you wait is a year you won't be

Apr 9, 2014, 9:48 AM

I get your point but how much does he improve if he goes somewhere and doesnt play much versus his role here improving and increasing his value. there are no clear cut answers here

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: he has to go-- every year you wait is a year you won't be

Apr 9, 2014, 4:58 PM

I'm sure he has many people with knowledge of the draft and has the ears of GM's in the NBA that know where he may go in the draft and letting him know what he can sign for. If he has an idea that with one contract like many players he will make as much money as his family has in the last few years, he has to go. One rebound and a twisted ankle and he's done. I say go.

Here's the NBA salary scale

Apr 9, 2014, 10:13 AM [ in reply to he has to go-- every year you wait is a year you won't be ]

http://www.cbafaq.com/scale2011.htm

I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that KJ would increase his draft stock if he came back for his senior year. Maybe not to lottery pick level, but Top 15 is possible if not probable. He'll be in the discussion for ACC POY, get lots of publicity and attention all season and likely in the NCAAT.

The #25 pick averages about a 1M/yr for 3 years. The #15 pick averages about 1.55M/yr and the #10 pick about 2M/yr.

A player's first contract is the only one that's guaranteed, so by waiting a year he's assuring himself 1.5M to 3M more. Of course, there's always risk of injury but I think I would take that chance.

Easy to say when you're not facing the prospects of

Apr 9, 2014, 10:17 AM

around $3 million dollars.

But, he's on record as saying it's not about the money ...

Apr 9, 2014, 11:09 AM

I agree that turning down that kind of payday would be hard. Most couldn't do it. But that would make it "about the money" ...

If he wants to do more than just get drafted and maybe make someone's roster ... if he actually wants have a good, long career in the NBA, he needs to work on his total game another year at Clemson.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

that's always the argument but you could look at it like you

Apr 9, 2014, 12:03 PM

are putting money in the bank and investing in yourself. If you can turn $3 million into $30 million in one year.....that's not bad. But nothing is guarenteed...life is a calculated risk and that's all it is a calculated risk.

I think the only way he stays

Apr 9, 2014, 10:13 AM [ in reply to he has to go-- every year you wait is a year you won't be ]

is if his shoulder injury is bad enough that it hurts his current draft stock.

KJ is really in an interesting spot. While you are correct

Apr 9, 2014, 10:20 AM [ in reply to he has to go-- every year you wait is a year you won't be ]

with your statement that "there will just be a new crop of 18 year old kids next year", it is generally agreed that this is one of the deepest drafts in recent years, making a decision to declare more iffy.

KJ,s only getting older and teams aren't keen on taking Seniors as much as they used to. But in KJ's case..if he can improve he jump shot, show his leadership skills and lead Clemson into the NCAA's, he could move up into the lottery discussion. If he has the chance to improve form a borderline first-round pick to a possible lottery pick, with his family financially stable, it may very well behoove him to stay. I think he can only improve his draft stock next year, barring injury.

So let's say he gets picked 27th in the draft this year; that is a contratc worth 2.8 million over three years. If he stays and moves up to the 7th overall pick, he'd get 2.4 million in his first year and almost 8 million over three years. Is it worth the possibility of getting paid two and a half times more for coming back to college for an additional year?

I think he'd have a lot to gain by staying with little to lose. On the other hand, it is hard to defer payment when you have $800,000 just sitting right there in front of you!!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

AND if thet other players around him are better next year

Apr 9, 2014, 12:05 PM

and he doesn't get as much of the defensive attention, his numbers will improve as well.

No Subject

Apr 9, 2014, 10:59 AM

Kobe is a 2 guard @ 6'6""

with mad ball handling skills and a jump shot from 38 feet***

Apr 9, 2014, 12:06 PM

28 feet....feet fingered th keyboard***

Apr 9, 2014, 12:08 PM

DANGIT ESecPN!!! y'all leave our KJ alone & let him make his

Apr 20, 2019, 7:11 PM

own decision!

his Momma wants him to get his degree & we do too!!!

talking heads always trying to mess us up & poach away our best players! all their mock drafts & stuff, boosting these players up so high (often to fall & not meet expectation or projections) is just wrong & too much pressure on these poor kids! there's plenty of time for them to grow into that stuff when they're done playing for our Tigers & move out into the real world... ;)
E$PN sure does a great job of screwing up our wet dreams!!
LOL

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic