Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Morris: Clemson run game is far from where it needs to be
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

New Story: Morris: Clemson run game is far from where it needs to be

Apr 8, 2014, 4:52 PM

Morris: Clemson run game is far from where it needs to be

Chad Morris is looking for consistency out of his offense during the final practices of the spring, and he said Monday that the running back and offensive line spots haven't performed the way he would like. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Plenty of time. Plenty of time.

Apr 8, 2014, 4:56 PM

Morris will always want more. I like that about him.

Come August, I expect we'll see a very aggressive fight for RB and better performances as a result.

Re: Plenty of time. Plenty of time.

Apr 8, 2014, 5:03 PM

Howard is the man ?

Could be. Or so it seems if you hear the coaches.

Apr 8, 2014, 6:00 PM

I'd put money on Gallman, though.

Re: Could be. Or so it seems if you hear the coaches.

Apr 11, 2014, 12:47 PM

Why? Because he was rated higher on rivals?

Re: New Story: Morris: Clemson run game is far from where it needs to be

Apr 8, 2014, 4:57 PM

Every year he talks about our need for a run game.

Every year we don't run the ball when it works in the 1st quarter of big games that we end up losing.

It's like groundhogs day.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nope. This year is different. We have a TON more depth

Apr 8, 2014, 5:01 PM

by comparison. And won't have to rely so much on a QB to run.

Re: Nope. This year is different. We have a TON more depth

Apr 8, 2014, 5:08 PM

Come on August!!!!

Re: Nope. This year is different. We have a TON more depth

Apr 8, 2014, 5:10 PM [ in reply to Nope. This year is different. We have a TON more depth ]

What happened in 2011 and 2012 when we had Ellington?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is that a serious question?? Ellington racked up over 1,000

Apr 8, 2014, 6:07 PM

yds on the ground in 2012. And over 200 in the air.

What's your point???

Re: Is that a serious question?? Ellington racked up over 1,000

Apr 8, 2014, 6:27 PM

Specifically the fsu and scar games of those seasons.

And?????

Apr 8, 2014, 6:56 PM

He was stuffed by FSU in around 15 attempts. Again, what is your point? Keep running him for losses or 3 yards max?

Not sure you are consistent about this. Ellington was used a lot by Morris, especially WHEN he was productive.

Re: And?????

Apr 11, 2014, 11:27 AM

You may need to go back and look at the rush stats in those games.

Re: Is that a serious question?? Ellington racked up over 1,000

Apr 8, 2014, 6:37 PM [ in reply to Is that a serious question?? Ellington racked up over 1,000 ]

That Ellington got a lot of his yards on big runs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 8, 2014, 6:34 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Morris: Clemson run game is far from where it needs to be ]

LMAO!!! Yep, we have seen Morris on many occasions just stop running the ball when its working very well. Its like he has a set amount of passing plays that he is going to get in. And what ever amount of run plays he can work in.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 8, 2014, 8:14 PM

When you keep signing a large amount of talented WR's you have to throw more. You can't recruit those guys and ask them to go block every play. I agree Morris stops the run often when its working but we are a pass first offense no matter how much Morris says he wants to be run dominate.

Apr 9, 2014, 8:31 AM

So you run a trick play just to make the wr's happy???

I think Morris would LOVE to rush more but OL is marginal

Apr 9, 2014, 2:18 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Morris: Clemson run game is far from where it needs to be ]

I think Morris would LOVE to run the ball more if he thought he could do it more effectively than passing but the OL's run-blocking is perennially marginal.

Morris had Tulsa ranked #15 in rushing offense (537 carries/5.25 YPC) in the same year that Clemson finished 79th (457 carries/3.95 YPC with 2 future NFL RB draftees). That year, Tulsa ranked #13 in passing offense (with 469 pass attempts/8.0 YPA). But Morris chose to run the ball 54% of the time despite his superior passing attack.
http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2010&div=IA&site=org

This year Morris ran the ball 544 times (4.17 YPC) and passed the ball 493 times (8.78 YPA). That’s 52% runs despite the fact that the future-NFLer passing attack was far superior to the running attack.
http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/25

I wish we had Bama’s or FSU’s OL and could just ram the ball down everyone’s throat but the OL could barely even move SC State off the LOS. As Paul Strelow recently confirmed through a statistical analysis, Clemson's coaching staff doesn’t land enough OL recruits relative to better teams like FSU & Bama-- nor enough quality recruits. Also, the S&C program doesn’t seem to develop explosive run-blockers. The OL has been a perennial weak link. Throw in the fact that Clemson had an NFL WR corps, a pretty efficient NFL-QB, and a marginal RB stable, and I just think it’s unrealistic (machismo?) to bemoan Morris’ run/pass balance.

Heck, pre-Morris, in 2009 when future-NFL RB draftees CJ Spiller, Andre Ellington, and Jamie Harper prowled the sidelines with a marginal WR corps, Clemson only ran the ball 56% of the time (496 carries/4.81 YPC) in 14 (not 13) games. The OL run-blocking has been marginal for a long time.

The staff needs to recruit (and develop) more, and better OLmen. Clemson sends plenty of guys to the NFL but not many interior OLmen.

Re: I think Morris would LOVE to rush more but OL is marginal

Apr 11, 2014, 10:19 AM

Unfortunately we have to wait. 2015 looks good right now. Enter Mitch Hyatt, Jake Fruhmorgen and Noah Green.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think Morris would LOVE to rush more but OL is marginal

May 2, 2014, 2:49 PM [ in reply to I think Morris would LOVE to rush more but OL is marginal ]

You've hit the nail on the head. The OL has been a weak link for years Even elite running backs, which we don't have, can't run without blocking. Can anyone say with a straight face that we have a dominant OL?

Did you just come out of hibernation or something?***

May 2, 2014, 3:30 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who's the former baseball player?

Apr 8, 2014, 5:47 PM

Who is the former major leaguer that joined the team this year? I saw some press on him prior to the first part of spring practice but haven't heard anything since. Anyone heard how he's doing? He's a big guy and pretty quick.

Is It Too Early?.....Is It Just Coach Talk? ----

Apr 8, 2014, 5:56 PM

Our O-line was never run game oriented. When we had
2 of the best running backs in the last 6 to 8 years
our O-line was not that powerful. Spiller and Ellington
made the best of things off their abilities.

Maybe there is still time to get this right, but we
know for sure that a powerful O-line needs to be
continuously recruited if you are trying to bash it
down opposing defenses's throats. If not, get ready to
throw the heck out of that ball to open that running game up.

the only guy that really gets it***

Apr 8, 2014, 7:42 PM

WR's practice got tougher with Alexander jamming them up

Apr 8, 2014, 9:36 PM

That kids going to make us all stand in our seats in 2014:)

It finally comes to a head...

Apr 8, 2014, 10:35 PM

I've been wondering for years why we've never really seemed to focus on recruiting top rated O linemen. Now that we want to be run oriented we're paying the price. It could just be coach speak, but I really can't remember a time when I've consistently thought that our OLine was a strength of our team.

Hopefully once they figure out he best 5 guys they can begin to concentrate on working as a unit. Last year were were looking for "the best 5 guys" 6 games into the season and it showed.

#CouchCoach

I read this as us having a legitimate bad a##

Apr 9, 2014, 1:22 AM

defense right now. Nobody on offense is having any fun because we've got an all-star cast running deep on Venables' D. It takes two to tango, baby.

This is gonna be a fun year for Tiger football.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Also, take into account Morris expects a lot and will...

Apr 9, 2014, 1:42 AM

put players on notice when they aren't trying their hardest. Morris really brings a head coaching attitude to being a coordinator.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic