Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Steward: "Time is running out"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

New Story: Steward: "Time is running out"

Mar 11, 2014, 8:40 AM

Steward: "Time is running out"

Tony Steward's career is rapidly coming to a close, a career that has featured injuries and setbacks. With the graduation of Spencer Shuey and two healthy knees, the Florida native finally feels like this is his time. He also said he knows his time is running out, and he wants to make the most of the opportunity he has left. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Steward: "Time is running out"

Mar 11, 2014, 8:52 AM

seems like I recall at one point him being eligible for a medical redshirt year but it wasnt pursued. Is that right?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 11, 2014, 8:55 AM

Yeah, I think that was the year a lot of people were frustrated that he was played in the first place rather than redshirted. I think the article said we only go 34 snaps out of him before he went down with injury.

Mar 11, 2014, 9:08 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Steward: "Time is running out" ]

I thought the ncaa turned him down

They did, and if I'm not mistaken we appealed and they

Mar 11, 2014, 9:34 AM

turned that down too.

I believe it had to do with him having played in 5 games.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Mar 11, 2014, 11:51 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Steward: "Time is running out" ]

We pursued the Med. RS, but we were denied. We appealed, and it too was denied. Now, the decision to let him play as a Freshman, knowing the injury was fresh seems like a bad decision, but we don't know what his Doctors nor his practices were revealing. I wish we had forced him to sit out that year, and I said it then, too, but all we can do is hope he shows out in a huge way this year. He is a great young man with a great attitude, and I bet he will have a great year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 11, 2014, 12:35 PM

I think you have to let these young men have a large role in deciding whether to redshirt? In Steward's case, this might have been his last year redshirt or no redshirt...
If he stays healthy I expect him to go in the top 2 rounds of the draft!

Disagree

Mar 11, 2014, 5:24 PM

1) he should have redshirted his freshman year. Venables basically said the same thing but we burned a year playing ST. BAD decision
2) doubtful he goes in the first two rounds with one year as a starting LB. He will have to have an off the charts year for that to play out.

He had perhaps the best HS tape I've ever seen - size, speed, explosiveness, great technique, just the whole package. It is a shame he is a one year starter. I wish him the very best as I would love to have him another year.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Disagree

Mar 11, 2014, 6:46 PM

Agreed. I remember seeing his HS tape and being far more excited for him than I was for either of Bellamy, Sammy or Anthony, all of whom had nice tapes in their own regard.

Mar 12, 2014, 12:19 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Steward: "Time is running out" ]

I believed then, as I do now, a RS year after that serious an injury would have been the wise move. I just hope he puts together a lights out year this year, and then we all can hope for the best for his FB future.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 12, 2014, 9:05 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Steward: "Time is running out" ]

Crying over spilled milk will only water down the milk. Tony knows what he is facing when it comes to him making it to the next level. He is healthy now, and I'm hoping, he will have a break out year in 2014.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 11, 2014, 8:55 AM

Feel really bad for how things have turned out to this point, because it's clear that injuries are the only reason he's not in the discussion with Stephone, Vic and Grady as one of our best defensive players.

Mar 11, 2014, 9:05 AM

I truly hope Tony gets on the field and shows everyone how good he can really play. Good luck to him and I love his attitude. Some players would have felt sorry for themselves and it seems like Tony is just making the best of his situation.

Re: New Story: Steward: "Time is running out"- actually

Mar 11, 2014, 10:34 AM

with the limited regular D snaps he got so far he has looked good as I recall. I think he will have a nice year

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great role model for Dye - DON'T EVER GIVE UP!***

Mar 11, 2014, 11:28 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Steward: "Time is running out" ]

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He should have gone to Pitt: Time NEVER runs out for them!***

Mar 11, 2014, 9:14 AM

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re:He should have gone to Pitt:Time NEVER runs out for them!

Mar 11, 2014, 9:15 AM

true but in the wrong sport for Tony

He'll be here all night folks ....

Mar 11, 2014, 9:22 AM [ in reply to He should have gone to Pitt: Time NEVER runs out for them!*** ]

and be sure to tip your waiters and waitresses.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Glad to see that he has the right attitude and mentality.

Mar 11, 2014, 9:36 AM

I hope he shows out this year and shows everyone exactly what he is capable of. The physical tools are all there. Hopefully, he puts it all together and has an unbelievable senior season.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Awesome addition to D if he plays like he is capable!

Mar 11, 2014, 11:29 AM

Yes, then we just might be best D in the land!

If they stay healthy...

Mar 11, 2014, 10:42 AM

this group of LB's may be as good and as deep that we've ever had! And with defensive front! What!
Only prob, teams will be forced to pass on every down. Lol

and then they will be sacked alot!***

Mar 11, 2014, 11:26 AM

Re: If they stay healthy...

Mar 11, 2014, 12:40 PM [ in reply to If they stay healthy... ]

I expect Steward, Anthony and Kellen Jones to start most games... but we have some good players behind them as well. I expect Wiggins or Blanks to play in the nickel.
I still would like to see Beasley play standing up when we go to 3 down linemen this season.

Re: If they stay healthy...

Mar 11, 2014, 10:48 PM [ in reply to If they stay healthy... ]

...I would love nothing more than for this group to live up to the greatest GROUP of LBs that Clemson ever produced. From '88-'90, that group produced Levon Kirkland, John Johnson, Ed McDaniels, Wayne Simmons, Doug Brewster, Ashley Sheppard, Dorian Marable, Jesse Hatcher, Vince Taylor, Kenzil Jackson and a couple of freshmen recruits that kept the linebackers feared for a couple more years after that. I would LOVE for this group to live up to that group!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One of the most intimidating looking bodies***

Mar 11, 2014, 11:41 AM

Great Young Man!

Mar 11, 2014, 11:52 AM

All the best wishes to a great Tiger. What a fabulous attitude! Glad he is one of ours!

If steward plays to his potential this season

Mar 11, 2014, 6:45 PM

Other teams could elect to put their defense on the field first.

He and Stephone are going out

Mar 11, 2014, 6:46 PM

With a big Tiger bang!!

Bank on it!

Go Tigers!!!

Don't you worry about having a great year Tony!

Mar 11, 2014, 6:51 PM

Only thing you should worry about is ending up on murderers row come seasons end. Seriously try not to kill anybody from opposing teams. Everything but that is acceptablen

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic