Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Kelly kicks off the quarterback battle in dramatic fashion
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 44
| visibility 1

New Story: Kelly kicks off the quarterback battle in dramatic fashion

Mar 7, 2014, 12:26 AM

Kelly kicks off the quarterback battle in dramatic fashion

Chad Kelly showed no ill effects from his knee injury during Wednesday's first practice of the spring, and an impromptu kicking session with a soccer ball and a juke move he made during practice showed just how much he trusts his surgically repaired knee. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Chad is the real deal but when

Mar 7, 2014, 7:37 AM

did he start talking like Vanilla Ice? LOL

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He's always had that goin' on

Mar 7, 2014, 9:10 AM

Check out some of his interviews early in the past season. It was even worse at times. It may have been after the SCState game (or UVA?) where he was still all juked up from playing and I could hardly understand some of his comments.

I'm not sure why kicking a soccer ball around is

Mar 7, 2014, 8:11 AM

so dramatic. Let's see what cuts on the field of play do, with full contact. He already blew his knee out on a very average run before. No reason here to get over-confident I would say.

Chad had better learn to be a passer first, and use the run only when needed, or I suspect he(and the offense) is in for trouble. I want to know what kind of a passing game he has, and can he get in rhythm with receivers, like Tajh did. That is going to be the real question.

Re: I'm not sure why kicking a soccer ball around is

Mar 7, 2014, 8:33 AM

agreed. what just might give stout the edge is kelley's run first, pass second attitude. that does not help our offense. think watson will have to be way ahead of the rest to avoid a red shirt.

Mar 7, 2014, 8:38 AM [ in reply to I'm not sure why kicking a soccer ball around is ]

Tajh got into rhythm with receivers? Thought he half the time over or under-threw them with bad ball placement (guess Sammy's ### looks through several games this last season must have been for another reason)...could have swore up till Pro Day, NFL analysts have consistently mentioned that same concern too. Guess I must have missed something...

As far as the soccer ball, it's just a way showing he can plant and shift off the knees again...also needed if you have to scramble out of a collapsing pocket or shift around an incoming QB spy to extend the play. There's more to it than just being a running QB.

I saw Tajh's mistakes as well as anyone.

Mar 7, 2014, 8:44 AM

We need to forget all that. He's earned the right to expect us to keep our mouth closed about his struggles. It's been decades since any Clemson QB came close to being as good as Tajh so give it a rest.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

well put! Thanks for the memories.....***

Mar 7, 2014, 9:12 AM

AMEN!

Mar 7, 2014, 9:32 AM [ in reply to I saw Tajh's mistakes as well as anyone. ]

Leave the Tajh bashing to the ignorant coots. He is a tiger legend.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I saw Tajh's mistakes as well as anyone.

Mar 7, 2014, 10:37 AM [ in reply to I saw Tajh's mistakes as well as anyone. ]

A SUPERB POST. THANKS

Agreed!

Mar 7, 2014, 11:09 AM [ in reply to I saw Tajh's mistakes as well as anyone. ]

I always find it funny how many are willing to bash our own players. Ni always want to just tell them to shut up or put up! If they can do a better job, get pads on or shut the heck up!

Good luck since some people never move on. Not sure

Mar 7, 2014, 11:23 AM [ in reply to I saw Tajh's mistakes as well as anyone. ]

why our own faults make us look at other people's more.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Two words: Will Proctor

Mar 7, 2014, 11:59 AM [ in reply to I saw Tajh's mistakes as well as anyone. ]

Let's just remember how bad it really can be before bashing Tajh. We've been spoiled having two good passers back-to-back in Boyd and Parker.

ah hem

Mar 7, 2014, 5:34 PM [ in reply to I saw Tajh's mistakes as well as anyone. ]

Whitehurst would have thrown for 40,000 yards and 150 TDs in this system with these WRs.

As "good" as his WR were, 6 didn't have an NFL-calibre WR on his roster (Stuckey was a QB his FR year). Boyd has thrown to 2 1st rounders and a couple of more guys who will play years in the league.

Comparing apples to oranges. If TB sticks in the NFL as long as Charlie has, I will be shocked.

If a frog had a shot gun in his back pocket...

Mar 8, 2014, 4:16 AM

he wouldn't fear a snake. It's the same old you with the same old tired arguments. Change the subject, distract from the facts of an issue and make some bold sweeping statement that's based on your alterations of the truth.

It's for sure TB isn't going to be a good as CW in the pros but we're not talking about pro QBs here, we're talking about Clemson stats. You speculate on what CW would have done in this offense which has nothing to do with the stats. Stats are in the book not in your imagination.

You ignorantly or intentionally failed to consider Tajh's ability to run the ball and find the first down marker and the impact those first downs had in a HUNH offense. You ignore that those close games we won in the fourth quarter against LSU, UGA and the likes were a tribute to Tajh's ability to pass and run for first downs keeping drives alive.

Take it somewhere else, looser!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If a frog had a shot gun in his back pocket...

Mar 8, 2014, 12:29 PM

Interesting you say "distract from the facts of an issue" yet think I'm bashing him myself by just pointing out the facts that are clearly seen in many film. It is a fact that Tajh has had bad ball placement (why would it have even been mentioned in Scouting talk if it didn't exist), whether you want to thumb me down or not...that's what is being looked at as far as where he drafts, who he drafts to, etc.

Yes, he did do great things at THIS school, he did do great things in THIS program, he was a good QB...but distracting from the facts would also be to not look at where some of his mechanics issues could stunt his draft stock and could be a concern as far as him becoming a starting QB at the NEXT level. What he did at Clemson was great, but it becomes irrelevant when he enters the next level (ask Tim Tebow). Just because I'm a Tiger doesn't mean I have to run around with my orange blinders on and sugar coat the facts with the accomplishments when it comes to looking at each of my team's players strengths and weaknesses going into a draft.

I like anyone would love to see him draft high, but in the end, most NFL teams look for a QB that has good ball placement, which Tajh has in fact had issues with. Hopefully he'll get them worked out...looked better in the Pro Day, but that's also not under pressure and when the pocket collapses, which is where his placement tends to get shaky.

Re: If a frog had a shot gun in his back pocket...

Mar 8, 2014, 3:16 PM [ in reply to If a frog had a shot gun in his back pocket... ]

the "facts" will be shown at the next level.

TB was a great QB in this system. He should be commended for such.

But, he couldn't tote Charlie's jock strap when it comes to making throws.

TB woulda been hard pressed to break ANY of #6's records had he played for 4 years in this system, with this tupe of talent. And that is NOT a fact, just a very informed opinion.

So going by Exiled's logic

Mar 11, 2014, 1:10 AM [ in reply to ah hem ]

The score would've been 77-17 instead of JUST 63-17 if Charlie had "better" receivers? Lol. Call me when Connor shaw plays a down of NFL QB. Better yet, text me when he throws an accurate deep pass. I'll put my phone on extra loud and sleep soundly for the rest of my life! Silly coot

Mar 7, 2014, 9:08 AM [ in reply to I'm not sure why kicking a soccer ball around is ]

Is there anything that any of our athletes in any sport or gender, do they do anything that you're just OK with. I do hope for myself and Tiger Nation, that who ever leads our FB team this year has the confidence that Swag has. Most people that has had the very same injury as Chad has had. They're not close to being back and performing as Swag is right now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yeah maybe lattimore can advise him***

Mar 7, 2014, 10:22 AM [ in reply to I'm not sure why kicking a soccer ball around is ]

Talk about reading too much into kicking a soccer ball.***

Mar 7, 2014, 11:18 AM [ in reply to I'm not sure why kicking a soccer ball around is ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I guess you guys....

Mar 7, 2014, 8:57 AM

Missed the article wed that talked about how impressive his arm was at practice compared to Cole and Deshaun, they said he really knew how to zip the ball.

Kelly is clearly getting more precise and upping

Mar 7, 2014, 9:12 AM

his athleticism. But Stoudt still maintains the clear head and the right level of thinking that may give him the edge in the coaches eyes.

Kelly is going to get the nod folks

Mar 7, 2014, 10:18 AM

As much as I would like to See Cole get the start...I am starting to think that Kelly may be the best option to win come Aug 30 should he keep progressing....

Kelly is probably better option long term since we

Mar 7, 2014, 10:29 AM

have Cole for only a year. I love Cole's attitude, and his accuracy in non-pressure situations has been amazing. This is the unfortunate side of the game. It'd be foolish to put a true freshman out there no matter how impressive his camp is. Remember the a&m doofus and winston were both redshirt freshman.

Re: Kelly is probably better option long term since we

Mar 7, 2014, 11:28 AM

whatever happens between the other 2 IMHO Watson should redshirt!!will be better for him in the long run and for the team

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Swinney already said he wants to win this year

Mar 7, 2014, 12:00 PM [ in reply to Kelly is probably better option long term since we ]

The long term argument doesn't factor into this. Long term, this is probably going to be Watson's team.

Sure Watson is the likely future leader. But for this year

Mar 8, 2014, 12:37 PM

and maybe even next year, he may not. If Kelly really shines this spring and eventually gets the starting slot, he may still have a shot at getting a second season starting slot. If we have a really great season with Kelly, it would be hard to not give him a second for the team's benefit and for his (assuming he would like to go early into the NFL, for example).

Does anyone know what the incident was 2 years ago

Mar 7, 2014, 10:37 AM

between him and cole? In his video interview after day 1 at practice Chad said something along the lines of we've moved on from the incident 2 years ago between me and cole and get along ok now. Anyone know what he was referring to?

Re: Does anyone know what the incident was 2 years ago

Mar 7, 2014, 10:46 AM

He texted Cole and told him when he arrived(Kelly) that Cole would be 3rd team. Not verbatim but close enough.

Yep said he wasn't coming in to be on the bench

Mar 7, 2014, 10:56 AM

and that there was a reason Cole was just a backup. His mouth is also the reason Spencer Region threw some punches at him.

Re: Yep said he wasn't coming in to be on the bench

Mar 7, 2014, 11:17 AM

Wow didn't know big region threw punches at him. Thanks for the info.

My only knock on Kelly

Mar 7, 2014, 11:06 AM

Has been his accuracy, mostly because we haven't gotten to see a lot of it. However, if Kelly can learn good ball placement, then by all means put him out there. He is super athletic and even more competitive. I think we can all agree that we want a guy that would give both of his thumbs to win the game. Kelly is a monster competitor, and if he can hone it in on improvement, he could be something else.

He's super run happy, too

Mar 7, 2014, 12:01 PM

Need to be careful about that.

Re: He's super run happy, too

Mar 10, 2014, 11:56 PM

If it goes to Auburn style offense, then that is what we need

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In this recent interview Kelly said he has worked

Mar 7, 2014, 1:58 PM [ in reply to My only knock on Kelly ]

on his arm and his running and claims he has the top arm. No lack of confidence on that....

But somewhere I remember he also said his record this past season was all mop up work and he thinks his bowl practice and the upcoming spring practice is his chance to showcase all of his maturity. Technique and skills maturity....

Nothing dramatic in this article***

Mar 7, 2014, 2:50 PM

NO FARMERS NO FOOD

Well, I think it shows clearly the SWAG is back!

Mar 7, 2014, 3:22 PM

If he looks as good vs. Cole in the Spring Game as he did last year before being injured, he could very well be # 1. However, I am hoping Cole hangs in there at # 1 with Chad being exciting "swagcat" backup used frequently. I think this is winning combo. with Watson redshirting like all of his "heros" did - Johnny fb, Winston and Tajh. I would like a win-win-win situation with all of them becoming high draft picks. Also, I hope Tajh is picked up sooner than thought after his great performance yesterday. Some team that drafts Sammy would be smart to draft Tajh later! Or the same with Martavis and Brandon Ford - maybe the Lions will pick all three - that would be smart too!

Has anyone checked if Peake or Jones can kick a soccer ball?

Mar 7, 2014, 3:21 PM

What is Dabo and staff doing!?!?

Re: Has anyone checked if Peake or Jones can kick a soccer ball?

Mar 7, 2014, 3:23 PM

I think Jones could eat the ball. I can't wait to see how big he's gotten since last year.

Proud Clemson Fan and Active Brother of the Kappa Alpha Order

" Dieu et les Dames"

A new measurable is born- David Hood soccer kick ranking

Mar 7, 2014, 5:32 PM [ in reply to Has anyone checked if Peake or Jones can kick a soccer ball? ]

nm

Kelly has confidence out the ###...

Mar 7, 2014, 5:28 PM

but I also fear what a player like that can do to a team if things aren't going the way he wants. I don't know, maybe it is just me, but the look on his face when asked about deciding the QB situation in the Fall seemed to say a lot. He clearly isn't agitated or upset when asked that question so he must feel pretty confident that he'll be the starter. Again, nothing wrong with confidence, but there is a right way to say things. When you make it seem like the other QBs are another level below you, it can't be good for team moral. Dissension among the team can be a killer.

Just hope he adopts the 'coaches' or 'players' speak and give copious amounts of credit to his team and not make seem all about Kelly. But if the kid can bring home the Ws, then by all means, continue with what's been working...

Re: Kelly has confidence out the ###...

Mar 8, 2014, 4:11 AM

Head is way more important than feet or arm to being an effective college QB and team leader. Cole's strength is the combination of the 3. CK Iseems more likely to light it up as well as crash & burn. Consistency is a team confidence thing. Wish all 3 long, healthy, successsfup careers.

Yeah Manziel really hurt a&m huh? Looks similar to Manziel

Mar 10, 2014, 11:59 PM [ in reply to Kelly has confidence out the ###... ]

Confidence wise

Having Manziel's confidence may not equal playing like him

Mar 11, 2014, 10:37 AM

although Chaddy Football or Swaggy Football might have a nice ring.

Replies: 44
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic