Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: Clemson ranked #1 student section in the ACC
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

FB Update: Clemson ranked #1 student section in the ACC

Feb 17, 2014, 11:19 AM

Clemson ranked #1 student section in the ACC

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And dead last in basketball sadly.***

Feb 17, 2014, 11:20 AM

Why can't our students take a little pride and

Feb 17, 2014, 11:25 AM

Get in behind the basketball program. When I was there in the 70s there was some group called Central Spirit that helped with this.

Another one of Jim Barker's success stories…..

Feb 17, 2014, 11:27 AM

having less students show up for sports other than football.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jim Barker's administration hired Oliver Purnell

Feb 17, 2014, 11:35 AM

and OP had the O.P.P. if you recall. ESPN GameDay brought its basketball show to Clemson in 2008. I don't know if you remember, but in the last three years of OP's stay at Clemson, students were packing Littlejohn. I know, because I was there for some of them.

The biggest issue with Barker from a basketball standpoint was bowing down to the IPTAY bigwigs for the prime seating courtside instead of giving them to the students. Luckily, Clements and D-Rad appear to have a different thought on the matter, and I'm looking forward to seeing students on the court in future years.

Courtside seating can be huge competitive advantage ...

Feb 17, 2014, 2:06 PM

or it can be used for a financial advantage.

Clemson has viewed it as a cash cow situation, but honestly, the best seats in LJ are NOT courtside. They are on the first few rows of the permanent seating area up above the bleacher seats.

Face it ... Big Donors want to believe they're getting "the best" seats and naturally they assume that the closer to the court the better. But, it's all a matter of perception.

If we want to have the greatest competitive advantage on GAME DAY, and also preserve our crucial financial advantage provided by big donors, we need to come up with an idea to change the "perception" as to where the best seats in the house actually are.

Look at it this way ... there was a time when sitting in the West End Zone for football was considered absolutely awful. It was where you stuck visitors and $100 Iptay members.

Now, due to "perception" the WEZ Project has convinced people that sitting high up in the WEZ is a premium place to be.

Do the same thing in LJ (or the new place if it's built) ... make sure the most dedicated and very rowdiest students are always standing on risers all around the court down on the floor.

Meanwhile, convince the big donors that they can actually see the game better from higher up. Give them some sort of amenities (larger more comfortable seats, easier access to concessions and restrooms, etc.) whatever it takes to get their azzes up away from the side of the court so the students can create a competitive advantage down there and also feel like they are valued and important to the program.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Courtside seating can be huge competitive advantage ...

Feb 17, 2014, 9:19 PM

SPOT ON! YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD! High Dollars DONORS would have the LUXURY OF CLUB LEVEL type seats in LJ. Added incentive could provide these sections with special treatments such as souvenir items, tiger paw seat cushions, drawing for gifts, autogragh team basketball, free tickets giveaway for other college events: baseball, football, soccer, etc. Not only a better view, but special treatment for this donor section. GREAT IDEA TOWARD INCREASING ATTENDANTS. And the college students will feel like they're part of the game and right at home in LJ (THEIR HOUSE).

Re: Why can't our students take a little pride and

Feb 17, 2014, 11:33 AM [ in reply to Why can't our students take a little pride and ]

Central spirit is still here. We still support the basketball program. Sometimes Central Spirit is the extent of the crowd. I agree that I wish Littlejohn would be more full for big games, but Central Spirit does our part.

too many nerds at clemson now

Feb 17, 2014, 1:06 PM [ in reply to Why can't our students take a little pride and ]

When academic standards increase, the amount of student sport fans decrease…… of course that doesn’t apply to all but it makes a difference. I guess it comes with the territory. Its not a bad thing to have a more prestigious academic university but you sure aren’t getting those kids out to Littlejohn on a Saturday when they can study. Good for them, bad for those who remember the old days when Littlejohn was a rowdy ruckus.
BTW I’m a Clemson grad.

Trust me, they aren't studying on a Saturday night.

Feb 17, 2014, 1:08 PM

They would just rather party than watch a mediocre team play. Can't blame em. If your theory is correct, why is our football atmosphere so good on Saturday nights?

Re: Trust me, they aren't studying on a Saturday night.

Feb 17, 2014, 1:10 PM

Tell'em Coot!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 17, 2014, 1:18 PM [ in reply to Trust me, they aren't studying on a Saturday night. ]

That’s the attitude I’m talking about… we’ve always had mediocre basketball teams. I went to school when freakin Larry Shyat was coach and we had studs like Chucky Gilmore and Adam Allenspach to cheer for…the students always came out, stood in line to get tickets, and were loud even when we’d take a 40 point pounding by Wake forest. Please ya’ll are weak compared to student body’s of the past.

I also think with Clemson being a premiere college destination we’re getting more out of state and out of region type students. They don’t care much about Clemson as much as the experience. So the football experience is set apart in the top ten of college football experiences in the country. That’s easy to see why they come out for that. Clemson basketball used to be just as much fun. Now its just bland b/c students are not into it. To each his own but don’t act like ya’ll are some ravenous student fan base. Ya’ll can do much better.

Feb 17, 2014, 1:41 PM

You are pretty much spot on, except for big games. This year's match against Duke was INSANE! I think the craziness of the fans was to thank for that. But in general, not many students care to get excited about Clemson basketball for the exact reasons you mentioned.

Most of those students probably grew up cheering for Duke***

Feb 17, 2014, 1:44 PM

Feb 17, 2014, 8:13 PM [ in reply to Re: Trust me, they aren't studying on a Saturday night. ]

Yeah, the whole "out of state" thing is a bunch of crap. I am from New England originally and am at almost every basketball and baseball game and camp out for football tickets every week in the fall. Please, tell me to my face that "I am not a true fan" because I wasn't born in South Carolina. I'm at more sports games than a huge chunk of kids from Greenville that grew up Clemson fans. Explain that one.

Feb 17, 2014, 8:23 PM [ in reply to Re: Trust me, they aren't studying on a Saturday night. ]

I'm pretty tired of the older Clemson fans calling out students like it's 100% of us and it only happens in Clemson. Student attendance, and attendance in general is becoming a problem everywhere you go. From California to Alabama to Michigan and down here in Clemson. It has nothing to do with out of state students or a smarter student body. You know what causes the decline? Television.

A lot of students will skip a game to stay in and do whatever and just put the game on the tv rather than go out to Littlejohn. A lot of non-student fans have the same attitude. Why drive to Clemson from Greenville if you can just watch the game and support from your couch? It's a problem across the board at all schools.

The reason there are fewer people at games now when compared to the 70s probably has something to do with the fact that television was not as prominent. How many of you older guys that lived in Johnstone back in the 60s, 70s, or 80s had tv in your dorm? If you wanted to catch a baseball or basketball game you walked down there and watched it in person. Now you can just turn your tv on or plug your computer in and watch it right there in your own dorm or apartment. I'm not saying I'm not guilty of that occasionally, but nothing beats sitting outside watching a baseball game live in the spring or catching a big basketball game in Littlejohn. Watching on tv will never give the same experience.

Clemson in state enrollment has only dropped 4% since 2000.***

Feb 18, 2014, 1:08 AM [ in reply to Re: Trust me, they aren't studying on a Saturday night. ]

win and they will come...when OP was here in his last

Feb 17, 2014, 3:22 PM [ in reply to Why can't our students take a little pride and ]

3-4 years LJ was one of the toughest places to play...its really that simple

Re: Why can't our students take a little pride and

Feb 17, 2014, 3:44 PM [ in reply to Why can't our students take a little pride and ]

The ACC now is not what it was 10 years ago. Clemson had over a 10 day strech 2 #1's and #3 team in LJ. You could always count on UNC, Duke and any one of the other Tobacco Road teams or a Maryland to come in Highly regarded. I remember games that were out of control rowdy every bit as much fun as an afternoon in the valley. It just seems that the schedule is a bit watered down now.

Message was edited by: Coothater®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lol. Why does this site constantly track Heather D?***

Feb 17, 2014, 11:47 AM

Especially since the posters who track her the most...

Feb 17, 2014, 11:52 AM

are the ones who hate her the most.

They really created and SEC-like atmosphere last year.***

Feb 17, 2014, 12:06 PM

Re: FB Update: Clemson ranked #1 student section in the ACC

Feb 17, 2014, 12:48 PM

Littlejohn is pretty empty in the non-student section as well. Maybe we should get more local people to spend the money to come support the team rather than blame the students every time? The student section was almost completely full for the Virginia game. Everywhere else? ….Not so much.

imo CLEMSON Has Always Been #1 in ACC in Fan Support!

Feb 17, 2014, 1:20 PM

GoTiGERS!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic