Breaking News
Breaking News
  2 chatters in TigerActive   Go!  
Front Page » TigerNet Forums » Archives » Tiger Board Archive

Topic: FB Update: Bashaud Breeland projected 1st round in NFL draft
Replies: 20   Last Post: Feb 14, 2014 2:20 PM by: Tiger6060
This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.

Back to [ Archives - Tiger Board Archive ]
Re: FB Update: Bashaud Breeland projected 1st round in NFL draft [1]
Posted: Feb 14, 2014 12:01 PM

It's amazing what a reactive animal collective "football" opinion is, and how players gain or lose "stock" based on collective perception. It's kind of like a dinosaur, and all it takes is a prod in the butt to get it lumbering in some different direction.

Breeland seems to be the flavor of the month...good for him. It'll get him a great payday...but as many have pointed out, it's largely because Breeland fits the "mold" of those big Seattle-style corners from the Legion of Boom that are so en vogue in the NFL right now.

I thought when Byron Maxwell was drafted the NFL scouts were missing on him. Maxwell was an elite, top-5%-on-a-team-type athlete, even at Clemson...he had the size, ran a legit sub-4.5, and had the hip turn and explosiveness of any elite corner...what he really reminded me of the time was FSU's Antonio Cromartie, and yet...6th round. I just shook my head. Breeland isn't quite that good an athlete...but while he might make a fine NFL CB, he also isn't quite the specimen Maxwell was, either. But now Breeland's looking at being taken in the first round, because he's the flavor of the month. Okay.

In the meantime, Tajh Boyd is seeing his draft "stock" take hit after hit...and sorry, there's no way, none, that Boyd isn't going to start at some point in the NFL, barring injury...and yet he could tumble all the way to the fifth or sixth rounds. Yeah, Boyd has his limitations...which any college QB not named Andrew Luck is going to have, and they're going to have to develop through them when they reach the NFL. The problem is, being a senior who played in a gazillion high-profile games, Boyd's limitations got exposed for all the world to see...whereas guys like UCF's Blake Bortles (who showed even against Baylor he can make some shaky throws) are being touted as first-round instant-impact QB's...bull. Bortles is a junior, and a raw junior at that, and if we haven't seen his limitations it's because he played at UCF, is skipping his senior year, and never really played against top-echelon competition...well, except for South Carolina, and Bortles couldn't beat them either. Hate on 'em all ya want, that Gamecock D is no joke....

Boyd is the better QB of the two, period. He's the better NFL "prospect". He's got a better arm, is more mobile, and played in a much hotter pressure cooker at Clemson than Bortles (or Bridgewater) ever faced at UCF, or Louisville. Geeze...we watched Boyd, with our own eyes, beat all those 1st-round draft picks at LSU even after they hit him 35 times and Sammy Watkins went down the first play of the Chick-Fil-A Bowl last year. We watched Boyd pretty much have his way with Ohio State's defense despite a couple of head-scratching moments. We've watched Boyd break scoreboards the last three years.

Yeah, Boyd probably needs to sit and develop some before he's ready to lead an NFL team. But in terms of comparisons, everybody sees "Legion of Boom" when they look at Breeland, and yet they're glossing over Boyd's very real similarities to Russell Wilson, too. Makes you scratch your head.

The NFL draft seems awfully capricious and random, sometimes, and it's not as connected to the college game as it likes to believe it is.

135 people have read this post

Subject (Replies: 20) Author Date Posted
FB Update: Bashaud Breeland projected 1st round in NFL draft
TigerNet News® Feb 14, 2014 9:34 AM
I didn't realize just how much the scouts love Breeland.
dgwilli911® Feb 14, 2014 9:45 AM
Makes ya wonder
Prime T. Tiger Feb 14, 2014 9:47 AM
Re: Makes ya wonder
clemsonalum05 Feb 14, 2014 9:58 AM
He didn't make a lot of interceptions or big plays this year
clemsongt Feb 14, 2014 9:59 AM
other teams avoided him; he made big plays on CB blitzes
ctigers90 Feb 14, 2014 10:03 AM
Re: He didn't make a lot of interceptions or big plays this year
allorangeallthetime52® Feb 14, 2014 1:42 PM
He did.***
ctigers90 Feb 14, 2014 10:00 AM
How do you figure that one?***
Completely Solid Orange® Feb 14, 2014 10:48 AM
He did play like a first round player….
tigerking79® Feb 14, 2014 11:37 AM
He was by far your best player in the secondary
Classof09 Feb 14, 2014 1:05 PM
Re: Makes ya wonder
allorangeallthetime52® Feb 14, 2014 1:40 PM
Why are you surprised, he was a really good corner for us***
tigerking79® Feb 14, 2014 11:35 AM
I did think he was really good for us.
dgwilli911® Feb 14, 2014 12:45 PM
Opposing offenses didn't "pick" on him very much this year.
cutigersJD® Feb 14, 2014 11:50 AM
The NFL got big corner hungry overnight
Purple_Panther Feb 14, 2014 10:53 AM
Anywhere in first 3 rounds
1988NC Feb 14, 2014 11:02 AM
Re: FB Update: Bashaud Breeland projected 1st round in NFL draft
quozzel Feb 14, 2014 12:01 PM
Re: FB Update: Bashaud Breeland projected 1st round in NFL draft
92TigerJohn Feb 14, 2014 12:07 PM
Re: My favorite player - Breeland
MemphisCat Feb 14, 2014 2:16 PM
NFL drafts upside not stats congrats to him..
Tiger6060 Feb 14, 2014 2:20 PM