Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: Swinney: I played with gay players at Alabama
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 92
| visibility 1

FB Update: Swinney: I played with gay players at Alabama

Feb 13, 2014, 7:19 PM

Swinney: I played with gay players at Alabama

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here we go again!****

Feb 13, 2014, 7:21 PM

nm

Re: FB Update: Swinney: I played with gay players at Alabama

Feb 13, 2014, 7:22 PM

"I PLAYED with gay players at Alabama" Yeahh I can already see people(coots) having fun with this one. This is just a subject I wish he would have just stayed out of.

Their mascot are C O C K S.***

Feb 13, 2014, 7:26 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sure, only retarded gamecocks would see anything wrong

Feb 13, 2014, 8:28 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Swinney: I played with gay players at Alabama ]

from that. Swinney answered and responded to the subject perfectly.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Feb 13, 2014, 8:38 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Swinney: I played with gay players at Alabama ]

If you look closely at what Dabo said, he was spot on, I think most football players at Clemson and in the NFL would agree with him. The problem is the NFL suits... that do not want to deal with bigoted fans.
Dabo is basically saying to Clemson fans that might be shocked if a Clemson player comes out of the closet that he supports his players regardless of orientation, or religion, or race. He is nipping it in the bud.

Feb 14, 2014, 8:19 AM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Swinney: I played with gay players at Alabama ]

If you know anything at all about Dabo, you know that if you ask him a legit question, you are going to get his most honest answer. If anybody has a problem with that, maybe they should question their own acceptance to except an honest answer.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't over think it ST09. The SC fans definitely will not.***

Feb 14, 2014, 10:50 AM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Swinney: I played with gay players at Alabama ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Re: FB Update: Swinney: I played with gay players at Alabama

Feb 14, 2014, 2:11 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Swinney: I played with gay players at Alabama ]

Then they shouldnt have asked

Coach answered this question Perfectly

Feb 13, 2014, 7:25 PM

Incredible class from Dabo

Re: Coach answered this question Perfectly

Feb 13, 2014, 10:07 PM

He is a class act, IMO. Very proud he is our coach.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Coach answered this question Perfectly

Feb 13, 2014, 11:28 PM [ in reply to Coach answered this question Perfectly ]

What a great response. I don't understand how people can't be proud to have this man represent Clemson. Look at winning, recruitment, assistants, graduation and how he handles himself as a man. He is a perfect fit for Clemson and I am grateful he is signed for a long time.

Well done Coach.***

Feb 13, 2014, 7:26 PM

Couldn't have given a better answer.***

Feb 13, 2014, 7:27 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Perfect answer, and I mean that!***

Feb 13, 2014, 7:28 PM

I lol'd***

Feb 13, 2014, 7:31 PM

Very well said. I have always held Coach Swinney in the

Feb 13, 2014, 7:31 PM

highest regard, but now I hold him in even higher respect. What a lesson for his players, family, fans and, most importantly, his fellow Christians.

Dabo Swinney: football coach, player and tightrope walker

Feb 13, 2014, 7:34 PM

though his comments probably won't appease the Baptists or the liberals...

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This liberal was pleasantly surprised and very pleased with

Feb 13, 2014, 7:38 PM

the comments. Though I am a huge social liberal, I am a Christian (imagine that!) and have always been a big fan of Dabo's. I am really glad Coach Swinney showed that not all Christians are of the Westfield Baptist Church variety.

did you mean Westboro?***

Feb 13, 2014, 7:41 PM

Yes, thank you for that correction***

Feb 13, 2014, 7:43 PM

I thought his comments were

Feb 13, 2014, 7:50 PM [ in reply to This liberal was pleasantly surprised and very pleased with ]

much to libertarian in orientation for the modern liberal.

as for being a social liberal and a Christian, I think they go hand in hand.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Too libertarian for a liberal?

Feb 13, 2014, 8:11 PM

Why?

I had no problem with it. Thought it was well said. I can see where conservatives would have a problem with it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dabo's comments, with which I agree, were

Feb 14, 2014, 8:47 AM

pretty much live and let live - quintessential libertarian. The modern liberal would much prefer he be an advocate for government intervention in the matter. Celebrate diversity, quotas, blah blah blah

You know nothing of liberals, so don't bother commenting...

Feb 14, 2014, 10:34 AM

on them when you don't know their opinions.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You know nothing of liberals, so don't bother commenting...

Feb 14, 2014, 11:04 AM

Lol

ahahaha - expected***

Feb 14, 2014, 11:48 AM [ in reply to You know nothing of liberals, so don't bother commenting... ]

He knows plenty!

Feb 14, 2014, 3:29 PM [ in reply to You know nothing of liberals, so don't bother commenting... ]

He saw a picture of Sean Penn once.

seems like he know all thats important.

Feb 17, 2014, 5:29 PM [ in reply to You know nothing of liberals, so don't bother commenting... ]

about liberals.
You want everyone else (except you) to pay for numerous social programs
you want big government.
You voted for and elected a muslim POS for president.
and you are dumb enough to believe that this country can continue spending at the present level.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not trying to pick a fight, but that doesn't make sense

Feb 13, 2014, 8:47 PM [ in reply to I thought his comments were ]

The one place where liberals and libertarians usually agree is on social issues, i.e. it's nobody's business except the individual's.

Eh, in attitude not exactly

Feb 13, 2014, 9:35 PM

I think, or am guessing, that his point is that the libertarian message is "we may disagree with it and think it 'wrong' but it should be allowed in a free society" however the modern liberal view tends to be "we should agree with and support these actions, well beyond allowing them"

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

disagree. great misconception. Liberals want it to be the

Feb 14, 2014, 8:48 AM [ in reply to Not trying to pick a fight, but that doesn't make sense ]

governments business. You've got the libertarian part right, not the liberal part.

Re: disagree. great misconception. Liberals want it to be the

Feb 14, 2014, 9:54 AM

The government sanctions marriages as a legal relationship. That's the government's business.

indeed. and the libertarian would say gov. has no

Feb 14, 2014, 11:49 AM

business getting in the peoples personal lives i.e., marriage. For many years in this country, the gov did not get involved in marriage.

Liberals don't want the government intervening in people's..

Feb 14, 2014, 10:41 AM [ in reply to disagree. great misconception. Liberals want it to be the ]

personal lives. That's an outright fabrication that right wingers repeat over and over, but there is not truth to it.

If you want to know what liberals believe in, talk to one. Instead of believing a false stereotype sold to you by your right wing websites and talking heads.

you are a card! go back to the IRS!***

Feb 14, 2014, 11:50 AM

Remember for right wingers everybody has to be stereotyped..

Feb 14, 2014, 10:37 AM [ in reply to Not trying to pick a fight, but that doesn't make sense ]

and classified in a certain group, and when they are stereotyped they only fit within the limitations of the stereotype. It blows their mind if a gay person and straight person are friends. Or if a white person listens to hip hop, and black person listens to country music.

Re: Remember for right wingers everybody has to be stereotyped..

Feb 14, 2014, 11:08 AM

Yeah...you seem so much more enlightened than those folks...

You sit here and talk about stereotyping, and I've been proof positive all week that your first statement is a lie. I've been an outspoken supporter of gay rights, despite my right-wing stance on fiscal and foreign policy issues.

hear hear!!!!***

Feb 14, 2014, 11:55 AM

I am a Christian and pretty conservative

Feb 13, 2014, 7:56 PM [ in reply to This liberal was pleasantly surprised and very pleased with ]

I too was well pleased with his response. I have my beliefs about the subject but neither will I be any ones judge. Matthew 22:36-40. That pretty much sums it up.

Re: I am a Christian and pretty conservative

Feb 13, 2014, 9:10 PM

Also the Bible, the inspired word of God, says to call sin sin....Also we are to love the sinner and hate the sin...Gay is a sin! If anyone has a problem with that then they need to take it up with God who created mankind.

Says a lot of things people disregard now... because they

Feb 13, 2014, 9:21 PM

make no sense.

I know, and respect, that you believe that

Feb 13, 2014, 9:33 PM [ in reply to Re: I am a Christian and pretty conservative ]

But do note that there are a lot of believers who have not read the bible the same way as you. That is not to say we are correct and you are wrong, it is to say that God is certainly bigger than s arguing over this point.

Even if you 100% believe it is sin, even then, the story glory and message of the Grace of Christ should be so loud as to make this debate academic for the vast majority of situations in life.

But again, that may just be me.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 13, 2014, 11:00 PM [ in reply to Re: I am a Christian and pretty conservative ]

I work with two gays. One male one female. I have told them how I feel, and I've told them the Bibles stance on the matter. I've also told them the same thing that you said, "God loves the sinner, but hates the sin". I tried to stress the Love of God, because I didn't want either one to think God was a god of hate but The God of Love.

You know, the surprising thing is that neither one tried to defend their lifestyles to me, but were really quite receptive. I tend to think that the message of God's love may have opened doors that wouldn't have been opened by any other means.

And this I do believe; "To love the Lord God with all your heart, soul, and mind and to love your fellow man likewise" is the great command. Do this and I believe everything else will fall into place.

That's all well and good... but

Feb 14, 2014, 7:52 AM

Hate the sinner, Love the sin... only matters...

if you buy in to the idea of 'sin'.

Which is a made up condition, made to sell you a made up cure.

where do you work and how did you not get fired?***

Feb 14, 2014, 8:51 AM [ in reply to Re: I am a Christian and pretty conservative ]

Why would they need or want to defend their lifestyle to

Feb 14, 2014, 9:30 AM [ in reply to Re: I am a Christian and pretty conservative ]

you? Give me a break.

Re: Why would they need or want to defend their lifestyle to

Feb 15, 2014, 1:14 PM

Why would they approach me, about my beliefs? I haven't tried to bang anyone over the head with the Bible. They came to me. I was respectful, and courteous to them as they were to me.They respected my beliefs and I respected their rights not to believe, or better yet to live the life that they find pleasing to themselves. But again; they approached me, I didn't approach them. I wonder why?

If God loves the sinner, then why doesn't he burn the crap

Feb 14, 2014, 10:55 AM [ in reply to Re: I am a Christian and pretty conservative ]

out of the "sin" for eternity?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 14, 2014, 3:36 PM [ in reply to Re: I am a Christian and pretty conservative ]

Of course they didn't "defend" their lifestyle. They don't need to defend anything. However I'm sure they had a pretty solid laugh with their friends at your expense later on.

Re:Of course they didn't "defend" their lifestyle

Feb 15, 2014, 10:08 AM

Possibly. But they have repeatedly asked for me to pray for them. Pretty contradictory, but then again maybe they're hateful, intolerant, hypocrites.

Thank you for pointing out that the Bible argues with itself***

Feb 14, 2014, 10:53 AM [ in reply to Re: I am a Christian and pretty conservative ]

The Bible also says not to eat pork or shrimp…..

Feb 14, 2014, 10:55 AM [ in reply to Re: I am a Christian and pretty conservative ]

So if you eat pork or shrimp, go take it up with God.

the fundamentalist never have an answer for that one***

Feb 14, 2014, 3:13 PM

Re: the fundamentalist never have an answer for that one***

Feb 19, 2014, 7:58 AM

I find it hard to believe that you have had any serious debate on the subject and no one mentioned Peters dream which is a pretty good argument: And he beholdeth the heaven opened, and a certain vessel descending, as it were a great sheet, let down by four corners upon the earth: Wherein were all manner of four footed beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air. And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat. But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean. And the voice spoke to him again the second time, What God has cleansed, that call not you common. This was done thrice: and the vessel was received up again into heaven.

There is a difference between Conservative Christians and...

Feb 14, 2014, 10:43 AM [ in reply to I am a Christian and pretty conservative ]

Christian Fundamentalists. Unfortunately, conservative christians get lumped in with the fundamentalists.

Fundies are the MOST conservative of the consrv. Christians.

Feb 14, 2014, 10:58 AM

They are the most consistent too. The more popular versions of modern Christianity bend the rules to be more socially acceptable.

Feb 13, 2014, 7:49 PM

Perhaps a better heading would read:
"There were gay players on our team at Alabama".

Good point. The heading could be misconstrued by

Feb 13, 2014, 8:19 PM

CUtiger2012 and others on this site with the middle school humor smh.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Feb 14, 2014, 9:58 AM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Swinney: I played with gay players at Alabama ]

He could have said... "I played with gay players at Alabama. I hear Spurrier is playing with #####."

Dabo is awesome. Plain and simple.***

Feb 13, 2014, 8:03 PM

What a great line this ... sorry, no disrespect, it's just funny.

Feb 13, 2014, 8:24 PM

Swinney said that he did play with players he believed were gay at Alabama, where he was a wide receiver from 1990-92. 

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A perfect and logical response

Feb 13, 2014, 8:30 PM

Aka = will never receive any positive press or any press for that matter.

Thank you coach for a thoughtful, compassionate answer

Feb 13, 2014, 8:49 PM

Could not have answered it any better.

Feb 3, 2023, 3:11 PM

I have been proud of Dabo Swinney and his character many times... but this was about the most articulate statement on the subject I have heard or read.

Dabo handled it just as I thought he would...

Feb 13, 2014, 10:14 PM

...with class. Way to go, Dabo!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 13, 2014, 10:34 PM

Overall, he gave some really good answers, but the headline is a little deceptive. The headline makes it definitive that he did while his words said that he felt like some might have been. Big difference there.

Hit the nail on the head

Feb 13, 2014, 11:20 PM

Not our place to judge. I'll leave it at that.

Enough crazy religious people in the world.

Feb 13, 2014, 11:31 PM

Glad to see Dabo is not one of them. And before anyone gets upset, I have no problem with religion. I am agnostic, and believe in a lot of what Jesus taught. Though I think a lot of people in the world can make it a bad thing.

The Best thing Dabo could had done was

Feb 13, 2014, 11:31 PM

Stay away from the subject!

When they (media) asked.....Say, "next question!"

From a professional stand point, you don't wanna offend
anyone. From a Christian stand point...its PLAIN OUT
WRONG!!!!!!!

Re: The Best thing Dabo could had done was

Feb 13, 2014, 11:41 PM

So from a Christian standpoint it is wrong to respect others personal beliefs? That is asinine, Jesus says "Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself." You wan't people to respect your personal beliefs so you should respect others personal beliefs.

7 posts in

Feb 13, 2014, 11:45 PM

I guess this one caught your attention.

----------------------------------------------
Ok, I'll give you a response....READ YOUR BIBLE!!
Its wrong. Bottom line!
You still love the person, but you don't agree with
that life style, and don't uphold it. They need to know
its wrong. I won't go any further.

Boring..

Feb 13, 2014, 11:53 PM

The Bible says we should stone women to death who commit adultery. It says eating pork in an abomination.

Understanding the Bible is a collection of stories, but doing your best to live by the words of Christ himself is a good thing.

Are you really wanting to go there?

Feb 14, 2014, 9:20 AM

really...

???

believe me, you don't.

Why? It's in there too, if every single word is to be

Feb 14, 2014, 4:10 PM

accepted as the literal truth, then you have to take all the inconvenient weird parts too.. How come you aren't railing on about people eating shrimp?

GO TIGERS

Apparently you need to "READ YOU BIBLE!!" more yourself.***

Feb 14, 2014, 8:26 AM [ in reply to 7 posts in ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, you're correct :)***

Feb 14, 2014, 9:21 AM

Maybe then you wouldn't come off as such a judgemental

Feb 14, 2014, 9:22 AM

príck ignorantly using The Bible as your casting stone.

Which parts of the bible have you decide to keep and which

Feb 14, 2014, 8:36 AM [ in reply to 7 posts in ]

parts have you decided to abandon (and you have)....

and why?

New Testament***

Feb 14, 2014, 9:19 AM

How can you "Love" someone yet shun a big

Feb 14, 2014, 4:08 PM [ in reply to 7 posts in ]

part of their life? Sounds like that isn't really loving someone to me but rather just lip service. And a lot of the things I've read from people on here about the issue certainly sound more like "hate" but hey what do I know?

GO TIGERS

Re: How can you "Love" someone yet shun a big

Feb 15, 2014, 10:26 AM

I haven't read all the post in this thread so I'm not real sure where you oicked up on the hate. But lip service? I don't have time to relate all the acts of kindness and love that some of the men of my Church have done for others, but I will tell you of one instance last summer where two good Christian men and I spent our time; after we got off work at our own jobs, to get a fellow human beings well water working again. This man was unable to afford having it done by a well service and because he has suffered a stroke, he's physically unable to do it himself.It was hot hard work. We didn't do this for a warm fuzzy feeling but for the enjoyment and satisfaction of doing a service in Christ's Name. And it was a joy to do in that respect. And guess what, the man we did this for is gay. Imagine that.

Yep. And he said don't judge either.

Feb 13, 2014, 11:49 PM [ in reply to Re: The Best thing Dabo could had done was ]

Jesus said nothing about was homosexuality.

I'm tired of people using their religion as an excuse for being bigots. It's a time-honored tradition. In the 1860's southern Baptists believed it was a sin to oppose slavery. Segregationists in the 1960's thought race mixing was a sin.

Jesus said love everyone, love yourself, and don't judge.

I'm sure my views on the subject are more liberal than Dabo's, but I thought he handled it well. He answered it like someone who gets Christianity. It's about love.

MANY Christians and ordained ministers agree

Feb 19, 2014, 9:36 AM

Homosexuality is not an innate sin. Just like Heterosexuality is not an innate sin.

Except, as a Christian, Dabo answered that question

Feb 14, 2014, 8:29 AM [ in reply to The Best thing Dabo could had done was ]

perfectly. Apparently you need to re-read his words.

Not to mention, this is wrong: "From a Christian stand point...its PLAIN OUT WRONG!!!!!!"

Don't use The Bible for spouting your hatred towards another people whenever that same book condemns you.

Feb 14, 2014, 8:49 AM

So how long before this gets removed from the football board? Oh wait ...

Maybe Tnet needs a LGBT discussion board.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That interview was awesome. I listen to...

Feb 14, 2014, 8:53 AM

Sports Talk radio all the time. That was a great interview our coach gave. That fired me up.

He played this one right, mostly. I could have done without

Feb 14, 2014, 10:53 AM

the "everyone is judged in the end" like it's a fact. That's a belief. Just say, "I believe..."

But overall, I'm pleasantly surprised by his reaction.

I agree with Dabo, it is a decision made by the individual

Feb 14, 2014, 4:30 PM

People chose their religion and sexual orientation.

I've read through this again today and I can't keep my

Feb 14, 2014, 4:27 PM

2 cents to myself any more. I read through this thread (like many others throughout the week) as it turned into a right vs left and then good christian vs eh shrug christian discussion. I just want to add to the conversation ...

In my OPINION ...

The Bible was written a very long time ago and in my opinion, it was written to lean society towards morals and values. Way way back in ancient Rome and Greece, men sought out sex with other men and it was accepted as long as it was within certain rules. I believe that the bible was saying, hey don't seek out male prostitutes for pleasure. If you're married, keep the intimacy in the marriage. In other words ... don't be lustful.

You can't apply these words literally to a society that has evolved over thousands of years. There are great lessons in the bible that can be applied in our lives today. One being, be faithful. Plenty of gay couples are faithful and they are not acting out in a lustful way. They love each other and as it is, they share intimacy. The government is currently standing in the way of their rights to marry - not the bible. If two people who are moral and hold strong values, want to live their lives committed to each other in a loving relationship ... I don't think Jesus would condemn that in our society today.

In my opinion ... The bible defines marriage between a man and a woman to encourage a family unit - which meant a mother and a father. But ... way way back then ... reproduction was the way to have a family. Many families exist in this day and age. Adoption is celebrated and encouraged. Many children suffer around the world. If two people who are in a relationship (not married because they can't be) want to raise a child in a happy and healthy environment, I don't think Jesus would condemn that ... not today any way.

My take ... A long long time ago, some guy took a bite out of an apple and the #### began, among other things. Christianity brought virtue and morality to the table and the party was over. In other words, humans should not behave like animals. Be kind, be loving, be faithful, and don't go sticking your peep into every open hole just for fun. This applies to any type of loving relationship. (woman and woman ... figuratively speaking of course.)

Ok - stepping down now. Thanks for letting me get that off of my chest.

Have a great weekend Tnetters!

Coach is a total class act

Feb 15, 2014, 10:26 AM

We are lucky to have that man leading those young men.

Re: Coach is a total "mouth of the south"

Feb 17, 2014, 5:32 PM

whats that? Never seen a microphone he does not like?

I heard he was a tight end when he went to Bama

Feb 19, 2014, 8:24 AM

but eventually became a wide receiver

Replies: 92
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic