Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Campus Update: Photos: Snow Day in Clemson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

Campus Update: Photos: Snow Day in Clemson

Feb 11, 2014, 10:03 AM

Photos: Snow Day in Clemson

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Campus Update: Photos: Snow Day in Clemson

Feb 11, 2014, 10:05 AM

Basketball team got up to sub zero temps in South Bend. Welcome to the ACC - Notre Dame

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Looking Purdy***

Feb 11, 2014, 10:22 AM

Who is camping on Bowman field? And why?***

Feb 11, 2014, 12:08 PM

Re: Who is camping on Bowman field? And why?***

Feb 11, 2014, 12:24 PM

Haha, I was about to ask the same thing LOL

Feb 11, 2014, 1:09 PM [ in reply to Who is camping on Bowman field? And why?*** ]

Why not? I would have done that...heck, I might still would do that.

Feb 11, 2014, 1:55 PM [ in reply to Who is camping on Bowman field? And why?*** ]

It has something to do with the Pershing Rifles. They're honoring someone who was involved with them that disappeared in 1998? Anyone familiar with the story? I just caught part of it near the end.

Ok, so here's the story

Feb 11, 2014, 2:40 PM [ in reply to Who is camping on Bowman field? And why?*** ]

First of all, the Pershing Rifles has 2 pledge classes (rat classes...just like the old days, so they are carrying on that tradition) per year -- one in the Fall and one in the Spring.

In the Fall "Cannon Week" is usually the week of Homecoming (which is why you'll often see tents up at the cannons behind all the frat boys' floats). Way back when, Sakerlina student came up to ole "Tom and Jerry" and tried to cut them with a hacksaw. They definitely damaged the cannons, but weren't successful in cutting them in half. The next time you are in Clemson, check out the underside of each cannon and you'll see the damage (fyi...the cannons were rolled over after the damage was done).

So, the Pershing Rifles protect the cannons during the Fall during Homecoming week. During the Spring, they usually choose a week that best suits the schedule, but the same concept is done here. They are out there from Sunday night to Saturday morning. During the week, the 'Rats' will spend all their time, when not in class, shining these monsters (walk by and you'll get a whiff of Brasso). On Saturday morning, the Company Commander of the Pershing Rifles will come out for inspection and will do his morning shave using the cannons as a mirror.

For the guy that said something about the guy who disappeared in 1998, this was actually a current Pershing Rifle 'Rat' at the time. His name is Jason Knapp. The current 'Rat' classes carry around a picture of him with his last-known information and where he disappeared (Table Rock State Park...where his white car was found parked). He was never found. Every year on April 11th, the Pershing Rifles will post a wreath and his "Missing" photograph. Often, his mother will come up to visit the cannons on this day and to meet with current members of the Pershing Rifles. Here is a link to a recent story about him...

http://www.yorkdispatch.com/ci_22994100/15-years-no-answers-jason-knapps-family?source=most_viewed

If you all have any questions, let me know.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Ok, so here's the story

Feb 11, 2014, 3:52 PM

Thank you man. Clearly, your answer far exceeded mine. I didn't know there was that much tradition behind the tents. That's pretty awesome.

Was this "library" there when I was there in the '80's?

Feb 11, 2014, 12:10 PM

:)

I'm still impressed by it whenever I've walked in it!

Feb 11, 2014, 1:06 PM

never really got to see it all actually ;)

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic