Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: USA Today's analysis of Tajh Boyd
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

FB Update: USA Today's analysis of Tajh Boyd

Dec 21, 2020, 10:04 AM

USA Today's analysis of Tajh Boyd

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Some mean and biased #######

Jan 23, 2014, 3:58 PM

In the NFL analyst arena.

How are they biased?

Jan 23, 2014, 4:04 PM

Just curious.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe the receivers are crappy...

Jan 23, 2014, 4:15 PM

unlike the ones he's used to throwing to.

You didn't read the article did you***

Jan 23, 2014, 4:25 PM

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Maybe the receivers are crappy...

Jan 24, 2014, 12:08 PM [ in reply to Maybe the receivers are crappy... ]

Are you blind to the point you haven't notice Tajh throwing like that the past 3 seasons, even this last one? Sammy has continuously had to stop in stride and turn around completely to catch the ball plenty of times...so did Nuk last year. Tbh, I couldn't begin to count how many times he also over or under-threw Sammy this year and we saw Sammy get the WFT face when the cameras were on him afterwards. Tajh constantly does over or under throw (more so underthrowing the ball making his receivers have to adjust to come to the ball instead of just running under it). That seriously has been a problem with Tajh the whole time he's been QB, hasn't changed one single year...sometimes he hits the guys in stride, a lot of the time, he doesn't but the receivers make the play happen anyways (though it wasn't due to Tajh having an accurate, on-the-money throw).

Re: How are they biased?

Jan 23, 2014, 9:03 PM [ in reply to How are they biased? ]

Must have been a Coot. Anyone who thinks Boyd is not a first round pick and better than both Mannings put together must be a Coot.

Don't take it personally.***

Jan 23, 2014, 4:06 PM [ in reply to Some mean and biased ####### ]

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Re: Don't take it personally.***

Jan 23, 2014, 4:23 PM

Anyone who watched Boyd play, especially the last two years, saw how comfortable he was throwing to Hopkins and Watkins. Their ability to catch the ball made Boyd look especially good. I agree with this writers comments but I also feel sure that Boyd can be equally as comfortable with NFL receivers. Obviously he and the receivers worked long and hard in practice to develop this comfort with each other. Why would this same trend not continue in the pros? Hopefully he will be drafted by a pro team with a good QB coach and talented receivers. Wouldn't it be great if he ended up playing with Sammy and/or Nuke?

Jan 24, 2014, 11:13 AM

Boyd has a number of positives, but accuracy, or as they put it in the article, "ball placement" isn't one of them. I've watched a lot of Clemson games over his career and have seen him overthrow open receivers on a regular basis. At Clemson, he had the benefit of guys like Watkins and Hopkins who can adjust to the ball and who can go up and high point the ball.

On the plus side, you have to like his character, work ethic, maturity, and intelligence. He's also tough and has better than average athleticism for a college QB.

Jan 24, 2014, 12:15 PM [ in reply to Re: Don't take it personally.*** ]

You actually make the right point though...he was comfortable throwing to those receivers...think of why though. They were the ones who could best adjust to his inaccuracy/bad ball placement....think of LSU 4th and 16...I really doubt in reality he really meant to throw that ball where he did (though it worked like a charm, how many QB throw at people's feet level and make them dive to get it on purpose?)...luckily, Nuk was good at adjusting to where that play worked out for us. Think of how often Sammy had a good long stride over the defender, all Tajh had to to do was put it to only where he could get it and two things happened...either Sammy had to break the stride, turnaround and get it, then attempt to get the stride back going...or it was overthrown about 3 feet over Sammy's head. Even with receivers that could adjust, he still wasn't the greatest at ball placement several times. That's honestly a valid point and one that he'll need to work on for the NFL if he ever wants to be a true starter.

Jan 24, 2014, 1:31 PM

Taj,Sammy, and Nuk are all great football players. Sammy and Nuk, being the great receivers they are, are like paint. Paint can cover up ugly when it happens.

Comments about Tajh are valid to a point..plus needs time &

Jan 23, 2014, 4:16 PM

doesn't look at enough receivers imo before getting happy feet and/or running. Hey, the guy won a ton of games for Clemson..and no QB is perfect.

Tajh can be coached up some more & be a good NFL QB..and until then he can be a super back-up or replacement due to injury.

Good luck Mr. TB and thanks for the memories at CU!

GoTiGERS!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Comments about Tajh are valid to a point..plus needs time &

Jan 23, 2014, 9:06 PM

I do not think he can. He makes poor decisions when the D consistently puts heat on him.

Re: FB Update: USA Today's analysis of Tajh Boyd

Jan 23, 2014, 4:54 PM

seems he often threw to a spot in our offense so I dont get this criticism. why would our offense impact where he throws to a spot or not. this is like the height idiocy.

He has to pick a spot to put the ball when a guy runs a pattern. YOu lead him and throw to the spot where he will be. Maybe he had an off day or something . The guy has made enough throws that I see him as able to throw it where he wants it to go.

The article is sports writer gibberish regarding Boyd

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: FB Update: USA Today's analysis of Tajh Boyd

Jan 23, 2014, 5:39 PM

Maybe another great college quarterback, but not pro caliber. Time will tell!!!

Senior Bowl

Jan 23, 2014, 6:14 PM

I don't know what's going on but I've heard several reports from Mobile and all of the QB's are getting negative reviews.
Also, Thomas got horrible reviews first day and much improved reviews 2nd day.

they may be having to get used to the nfl ballm there are

Jan 24, 2014, 6:27 AM

slight differences. I agree with the writer. I have always liked Tajh but his touch and throwing into the flat were always a problem with him, great WR's and great hands on the RB's completed a lot of his passes.

Wait, its bad that he waits for recievers to get open?***

Jan 23, 2014, 7:09 PM

Re: Wait, its bad that he waits for recievers to get open?***

Jan 23, 2014, 7:25 PM

Yes. That's not how it works in the NFL. In the NFL you throw them open. Due to the extreme speed of the sport, the quarterback must read the defense and anticipate when & where the receiver will make his break. The ball needs to be out of the quarterback's hand before the receiver has broken into his route.

Wow!! You would think that is what they would try to do in

Jan 23, 2014, 10:13 PM

college.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Wow!! You would think that is what they would try to do in

Jan 24, 2014, 9:06 AM

In a way they try to. The old saying between levels says "The qb throws the football...

High School: "after the receiver breaks into his route"
College: "while the receiver is breaking into his route"
NFL: "before the receiver breaks into his route"

It's all about the speed & size of the defenders.

exactly, the few seconds it takes for the ball to get there

Jan 24, 2014, 6:28 AM [ in reply to Re: Wait, its bad that he waits for recievers to get open?*** ]

well there's enough time for a fast DB to get there as well

Re: exactly, the few seconds it takes for the ball to get there

Jan 24, 2014, 1:38 PM
AAAAAA.jpg(9.5 K)

"When you can ###### the coin from my hand, then Grasshopper, you will be ready to leave."

Re: Wait, its bad that he waits for recievers to get open?***

Jan 23, 2014, 9:04 PM [ in reply to Wait, its bad that he waits for recievers to get open?*** ]

In the majority of the NFL systems it is extremely bad.

Clemson fans who have watched Boyd play....

Jan 23, 2014, 7:25 PM

know that accuracy wasn't a problem for Boyd. Biggest issue for me was mental. Sometimes he would Boyd's push and melt-down in some big games.

He also played great in some big games.

I think Boyd will do fine in the NFL.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

please ignore "Boyd's" in that write-up for easier reading;)***

Jan 23, 2014, 7:26 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have to disagree, he throws the fastball very accurately

Jan 24, 2014, 6:30 AM [ in reply to Clemson fans who have watched Boyd play.... ]

but at times he is way off the mark.

Re: Clemson fans who have watched Boyd play....

Jan 24, 2014, 1:44 PM [ in reply to Clemson fans who have watched Boyd play.... ]

Be very very careful!!!! I said the same thing the other day and was Coot Smashed, had three of my pigs killed, house burned down, and witnessed two eclipses. The truth hurts but it's still the truth.

Having watched him play probably 10 times as much as these

Jan 23, 2014, 9:45 PM

geniuses, I can honestly say he has some big question marks, but ball placement is not one of them...

Boyd throws the best/most accurate deep ball

Jan 24, 2014, 12:41 AM

in this QB draft. If that's not ball placement, I don't know what is - he's throwing the ball a full second before the receiver is even in the area of the ball.

Tajh has some issues but I don't think this is a major one.

Sounds like either he is struggling getting used to his receivers or could it be - the receivers??

I read somewhere else that the North's receivers were getting held all day and the coach wasn't stopping it. When you place the ball but the receiver is late getting there...

USA Today is clueless...

Jan 24, 2014, 3:31 AM

there NFL scouts there saying he looked the best out of all the QB's.

Source?

Jan 24, 2014, 6:52 AM

Would love to see this. All I have seen so far is the one guy from the Packers that said he wouldn't draft him, and this USA Today evaluation.

This fool obviously has never watched any tape on Tajh...

Jan 24, 2014, 3:34 AM

ball placement and accuracy is not an issue with him. Tajh's one issue is that he presses sometimes to make a big play when it's not there. And that's sometimes not on a regular basis.

It didn't sound like he was unable to hit a target...

Jan 24, 2014, 9:12 AM

it sounded like he said Tajh has a problem throwing to a spot on the field in anticipation of a receiver being there when the ball gets there. It's more a timing thing and knowing where to place the ball - not an ability to get it there.

And if that is what he is saying, I would agree. There have many MANY throws throughout his career that he could have made had he thrown it earlier, but he waits until a receiver is totally open before throwing. It's a mental weakness he has that we never coached out of him. Fortunately at Clemson, we had good enough receivers to get and stay open long enough. With NFL corners, it might be hard for that to happen.

Re: It didn't sound like he was unable to hit a target...

Jan 24, 2014, 9:20 AM

Agreed. This was a problem for Tajh his entire time here. When he was confident, he was incredible and had no problem throwing guys open or throwing the ball to a spot (see here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVX8KJu98tY). The problem was when he wasn't comfortable, he would hold the ball and wait for the guy to get open.

I have a feeling he's probably feeling uncomfortable with a bunch of receivers he doesn't know and knowing that scouts are evaluating his every step. Tajh isn't a guy who can come into the league and be successful immediately in a traditional system...I think he needs to be coached up a bit, and then he'd be in a much better position. He's got the physical ability, no doubt.

Re: It didn't sound like he was unable to hit a target...

Jan 24, 2014, 12:55 PM

With our receivers (especially the last two years) he just had to get it close. Close will get your receiver killed in the NFL.

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic