Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Further details on Swinney's new deal
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 71
| visibility 1

New Story: Further details on Swinney's new deal

Jan 18, 2014, 1:31 PM

Further details on Swinney's new deal

TigerNet has learned further details on Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney's new contract, including the specifics of the base salary and how Swinney's trademarked name affects the contract. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re:We should dock him at least a quarter million for a

Jan 18, 2014, 1:38 PM

loss to South Carolina.

Or how about an automatic termination clause?

Jan 18, 2014, 1:43 PM

That way we can REALLY prove to all the SCar fans they are getting to us fans!

Jan 18, 2014, 2:45 PM [ in reply to Re:We should dock him at least a quarter million for a ]

That would probably be ok with him if it was quarter million bonus for beating SC.
I think we will win more against USC in the next 8 years than we lose.... we are getting better every year and USC has stagnated.

Jan 18, 2014, 2:57 PM

stagnated?? didn't SC just end up number 4 in the nation?

You have an interesting definition of stagnating.

Jan 18, 2014, 3:11 PM

I meant that USC has ended up 2nd in the SEC east for 3 straight years.

Jan 19, 2014, 9:30 AM

and clemson was first in the ACC 3 years ago, and has finished 2nd in the atlantic for two years... somehow that's improving?

Back to the coop or it's time for the chopping block, chicki***

Jan 18, 2014, 11:25 PM [ in reply to Re:We should dock him at least a quarter million for a ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And really who cares if we beat them in the next 8 years?

Jan 19, 2014, 9:26 AM [ in reply to Re:We should dock him at least a quarter million for a ]

It obviously hasn't mattered the past 5. Why should it start to matter now?

Better yet

Jan 18, 2014, 8:16 PM [ in reply to Re:We should dock him at least a quarter million for a ]

He pays off our bets.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Jan 20, 2014, 7:17 AM [ in reply to Re:We should dock him at least a quarter million for a ]

Why does every stinking thread on Tigernet have to turn into a discussion \ argument about SCar?

In other words, Dabo will definitely be our head coach

Jan 18, 2014, 1:39 PM

for the next 5 years, regardless of the outcome!

I think he earned this contract though.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would say that pretty much guarantees 3 years

Jan 18, 2014, 2:24 PM

And makes 5 likely

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I love the praise raise, but I can't understand why

Jan 18, 2014, 1:39 PM

The buyout is so high
Buyout if the university terminates without cause
2014: $24 million
2015: $20.7 million
2016: $17.2 million
2017: $10.3 million
2018: $7.7 million
2019: $4 million
2020: $2 million
Wow! I just don't like that at all!!

That's called D1 job security.***

Jan 18, 2014, 1:47 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree especially when his is only 5 mil. Seems like a very

Jan 18, 2014, 1:52 PM [ in reply to I love the praise raise, but I can't understand why ]

Uneven deal.

That 5 mill seems ok right now, but 3-4 more years

Jan 18, 2014, 2:29 PM

of top 10 seasons (track record) and that will be a bargain to some other team. It should be double (10 mil.) and Clemson should be under 20 million.

The job security is the same whether you have a huge buyout from the university or from another school.

It would take 4+ miserable losing seasons for the board to even consider that kind of buyout. It would take an Alabama, LSU, Texas, etc. maybe 1-2 losing seasons to consider a $5 million buyout, especially if we keep winning.

I'd love to have Dabo's lawyer(s) do a deal for me if I am ever so lucky to need one for anything.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's the commitment that CU and Dabo

Jan 18, 2014, 2:12 PM [ in reply to I love the praise raise, but I can't understand why ]

will keep a top notch staff.

I'm sure it's hard to undertand if you don't want to understand.

Yeah, the university painted themselves into a corner with

Jan 18, 2014, 2:24 PM [ in reply to I love the praise raise, but I can't understand why ]

bearing the buyout costs. His buyout for the other teams should be higher and Clemson's lower IMO. Maybe 10 million and 19 million. That's still the same level of job security, but it puts the burden on any team that may come calling for him and less on Clemson if Dabo starts having losing seasons or something.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yeah, the university painted themselves into a corner with

Jan 18, 2014, 3:00 PM

Dabo will never slack off from making Clemson FB all it can be. His assistants are in the top 2/3 highest paid in the country. That kind of money can make it to where Dabo can hire Top coaches if one of ours leave. We can now offer and pay some of the best coaches in the college FB arena. And I don't think that Dabo would think twice about giving up more of his cash to bring the best he can get if a coach left. It about being what everybody said he couldn't do, and that is take Clemson to the very top. It's not all about the money with Dabo folks, its about being the best for him. Half of his life was on the bottom, and he has worked his A$S off to get to where he is now, and that want satisfy him. He now lives for getting to the top. Every step the man takes is toward the top, and I personally want him to be at Clemson when he gets there, and he will get there.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I love the praise raise, but I can't understand why

Jan 18, 2014, 3:01 PM [ in reply to I love the praise raise, but I can't understand why ]

ridiculous...especially knowing what morris brought to this team...

we will get go see him leave and dominate elsewhere

...and be stuck with the dancing, big mouth salesman

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Re: I love the praise raise, but I can't understand why

Jan 18, 2014, 3:11 PM

WhsTigeR...finding it hard to believe you're a tiger fan based on your posts. Short of losing to SCar, Clemson has made great strides nationally under Dabo. His cheerleading is only bringing more attention and RECRUITS to a great football school.

Re: Re: I love the praise raise, but I can't understand why

Jan 18, 2014, 3:18 PM

believe it!

want what's best for this program and my university

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i'm glad they are keeping you away***

Jan 18, 2014, 3:45 PM

A good start would be if you quit posting on here.***

Jan 18, 2014, 11:36 PM [ in reply to Re: Re: I love the praise raise, but I can't understand why ]

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Jan 18, 2014, 3:39 PM [ in reply to Re: I love the praise raise, but I can't understand why ]

Morris didn't walk into Clemson and tell Dabo I'm taking the OC job here. Dabo put in the necessary work to find and convince Morris to come to Clemson. Salesman, maybe, but he is ### good at getting the coaches he wants. Do you think that BV walk in and said I'm taking the DC job here at Clemson. H&LL NO, Dabo went out and convinced him to leave a job he had for a long time. And BV loved OKLA, BUT Dabo convinced BV to come to Clemson. Don't forget, OKLA matched what Clemson was offering him to stay, but Dabo convince him to come to Clemson and prove he could help change a down program. Have you been asleep the last freaking 20 years. Remember season opening game of Clemson and Bama in Atlanta. Bama can't do what they done to us in that game in the NOW Clemson!!!

Message was edited by: allorangeallthetime52®

Jan 18, 2014, 4:33 PM [ in reply to Re: I love the praise raise, but I can't understand why ]

what's ridiculous to me, is that i seem to recall in your earlier posts that you can't believe Morris isn't gone yet...should jump at any HC job, but...Dabo sucks & can't do anything without Chad M.(or BV for that matter).
YET...both BV & CM are still here, happy, & not showing any concern for leaving or doing anything other than making Clemson great...just like Dabo.

you also never spit out who you'd replace them all with, since i'm sure there're so many good replacements we could offer out there with our (Clemson's) interests in mind.

Wonder if there is a Bama clause built in anywhere?***

Jan 18, 2014, 1:49 PM

If Saban disappeared tomorrow, Bama wouldn't blink

Jan 18, 2014, 2:30 PM

at a $5 million buyout if it was a good coach with a proven record. Dabo is perhaps 2 years from that point, maybe 1.

Big football schools like Bama wouldn't even consider Dabo***

Jan 21, 2014, 12:58 PM

Lots of Money For A Cheerleader***

Jan 18, 2014, 1:49 PM

Re: Lots of Money For A Cheerleader***

Jan 18, 2014, 1:57 PM

Lololol...Spurrier will be in diapers by the time this contract is up.....Did you see the part about academics and community service coot?

Jan 18, 2014, 2:28 PM

Difference being this cheerleader is GETTIN" IT DONE

Re: You, sir, nor our AD puts any importance in beating

Jan 18, 2014, 2:52 PM

South Carolina.

Jan 18, 2014, 2:17 PM [ in reply to Lots of Money For A Cheerleader*** ]

Tell'em Coot

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 18, 2014, 2:54 PM [ in reply to Lots of Money For A Cheerleader*** ]

Dabo is a great salesman! He sells Clemson U around the country and especially in the southeast. He is a great judge of talent and he recruits great coaches and for the most part good students as well as football players.
He graduates quality young men for the most part and almost all of them the last couple of years have been drafted or gotten a free agent contract for tryouts.
The only improvement needed is better OL and beating USC on a frequent basis.

Jan 18, 2014, 4:13 PM [ in reply to Lots of Money For A Cheerleader*** ]

SING IT COOT BREATH! SING IT!

Jan 18, 2014, 4:15 PM [ in reply to Lots of Money For A Cheerleader*** ]

Are you still upset that the "one hit wonder" has left y'all for greener pastures? You want to see two REAL defensive ends? Can't wait until Football season!

Jan 18, 2014, 4:35 PM [ in reply to Lots of Money For A Cheerleader*** ]

long sentence for a coot...

Jan 18, 2014, 8:06 PM [ in reply to Lots of Money For A Cheerleader*** ]

I'll gladly take a CEO or "cheerleader", if it means consecutive double digit wins and top 10 finishes. Name a better Coach, other than Danny, in Program History. This all but guarantees Top Recruiting Classes for the foreseeable future. I don't agree with the buyout, but I do agree with Dabo's Results! It's Working!

Its CEO, not cheerleader! get it right!

Jan 18, 2014, 8:17 PM [ in reply to Lots of Money For A Cheerleader*** ]

nm

Jan 19, 2014, 11:11 AM [ in reply to Lots of Money For A Cheerleader*** ]

But not as much as your old maid with man #####

Jeez, this buyout numbers

Jan 18, 2014, 1:52 PM

My, my

Re: Jeez, this buyout numbers

Jan 18, 2014, 4:41 PM

numbers are pretty astounding...but doubtful that it's any of your money, so don't worry about it.

Dabo will continue to succeed. it's his calling here or something & he'll fulfill his prophesy!

MARK IT DOWN COOTS!!!
You clucks aren't gonna like what happens for Clemson over the next years :)

GO TIGERS! Commitment

Re: New Story: Further details on Swinney's new deal

Jan 18, 2014, 2:03 PM

Where does Spurrier and Jimbo Fisher rank?

Both just received new contracts and extensions that are higher than Dabo's new contract. Not sure about their staff's salary.

A correction may be in order here.

They know

Jan 18, 2014, 2:13 PM

Coach Swinney will WORK for CLEMSON UNIVERSITY!

Great Deal DRad. Bravo.

Jan 18, 2014, 2:33 PM

Not sure how you convinced Dabo to stay with such a paltry buyout, but you are obviously a master negotiator.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2013_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 18, 2014, 2:45 PM

I understand dabo wanted and needed four more years to be able to say to recruits I will be here for your entire career, but why give him 8 years? if we were to slip back for any reason we are on the hook for a lot of money. I am ok with 3 plus million but the 8 years is just not right. and the last thing is that no other schools have been after him, just does not make financial logic. a better deal would have been for four and a one year renewal every year to keep him at 4 years. I think the buyout is good and bad. now for sure no schools will be interested but if we want him here, well he not go looking with that type buyout. jmo

Jan 18, 2014, 3:10 PM

Dabo wanted 8 years so that his children would finish HS in Clemson. I do not expect another extension past 2021 until it gets under 4 years.
I do not expect us to slip back and if we do I expect Dabo to correct what needs to be corrected for us to continue improving.

Jan 22, 2014, 6:57 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Further details on Swinney's new deal ]

Do you see Clemson sliding back wards in the next 3/4 years with all the great talent we have and have coming in. I don't, and if it don't the big buy out is over.... Later cooter!!!

How does a small average school afford to be top 10

Jan 18, 2014, 2:50 PM

in salaries? We have a small alumni base, and not a lot of rich alumni like schools with professional degrees. We are also not in an average conference when it comes to payouts.

Re: How does a small average school afford to be top 10

Jan 18, 2014, 3:18 PM

Because we have a great fan base, that supports our football team. Some of the most avid fans have never been a student at Clemson. We have the 1st or second largest stadium in the ACC, and we do not pay our HC near as much as FSU and I expect us to be 3rd or 4th in the ACC behind FSU, Miami and Duke?

Re: How does a small average school afford to be top 10

Jan 18, 2014, 4:16 PM [ in reply to How does a small average school afford to be top 10 ]

You have more than you know.

Yes, It's Good To Be Head Football Coach***

Jan 18, 2014, 3:06 PM

Worry about #### town

Jan 17, 2022, 7:17 PM

Spend your time and energy worrying about what sc does and get off of tiger net

Buyout seems absurd. Pre-Morris results were not impressive

Jan 18, 2014, 5:15 PM

Dabo has accomplished a great deal over the last 3-4 years. However, a contract with a buyout like this should be reserved for elite coaches with an expertise/specialty you can count on. Dabo has never been a coordinator and he depends entirely on his assistants for the program to succeed. Dabo essentially fired both of his original coordinators and caught lightning in a bottle with the Morris hire. Once Chad is gone, will we revert back to the Napier days or are these recent successes sustainable?

Dabo is a wonderful person and an amazing human interest story. A story made for Hollywood. Is he really the kind of coach that warrants a double digit buyout? We'll find out after Morris moves on.

I agree with this. I think the buyout is WAY too high.

Jan 18, 2014, 6:05 PM

Why would we do this? It wasn't even necessary to keep him around. We have put all of our eggs in one basket.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Buyout seems absurd. Pre-Morris results were not impressive

Jan 18, 2014, 6:15 PM [ in reply to Buyout seems absurd. Pre-Morris results were not impressive ]

You really don't believe that do you. When Morris goes, another one as good or better will take his place. Money is the hardest thing in the world to walk away from. The Clemson environment and surrounding area is a double PLUS bonus. Plus another year of Chad will most likely have Jeff Scott ready to take over. I'm much more worried about replacing BV than Chad.

Agree

Jan 22, 2014, 7:11 PM [ in reply to Buyout seems absurd. Pre-Morris results were not impressive ]

Also in light of his last 5 year record against Usuc. This contract essentially treats him like he is 5-0 against them the past few years, not 0-5. I would have had a clause that linked the buyout to the performance against Usuc. If he goes 0-6, 0-7 or whatever....adjustments favorable to Clemson are made accordingly. We are betting on the come.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

anyone else see anything "funny" about the USA Today numbers

Jan 18, 2014, 8:12 PM

hint: look at the discrepancy between HC and staff

Either the salary chart or the article is wrong

Jan 18, 2014, 11:43 PM

When I look at the total staff pay Clemson is #1.

Sorry, should have said #3

Jan 18, 2014, 11:48 PM

Seems high to me given the incomes of some other football programs in BIG and SEC. I don't think CU is in top 20.

Jan 19, 2014, 4:51 AM

8 more years losing to USC? 8 more years of the "Sun Shine Pumpers". O'my, what money can buy!

Jan 19, 2014, 9:36 AM

what the hell is the point of the 2.45 million dollar maximum? obviously it's pretty easy to get around

Bad move. It makes losing to SC acceptable.

Jan 19, 2014, 11:00 AM

This is a TDP and TB type deal before TB's demise. You
cannot give a guy a lifetime contract (that is what this is), and put the University in such a bad position (24 million $ buyout), when he is not meeting one of your most important goals (beating his rival). It makes no sense. I guess it explains why GT athletics is in such bad shape. I cannot believe the BOD's went along with this. IMO!

Foolish to grant big buyout when no better schools want him.***

Jan 21, 2014, 12:52 PM

Yes it would be a lot better to pay him

Jan 21, 2014, 1:15 PM

after he takes another job.

How do you know no other school wants him?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

STS says so.

Jan 21, 2014, 1:53 PM

I mean their track record speaks for itself. The didn't want Dabo. "He is no more than a real estate salesman. They didn't want Chad Morris, "He's unproven in the NCAA ranks."
They wanted Lane Kiffen and Mike Leach, both experienced coaches. They didn't like Venables, "He's Oklahoma's problem." "We must fire our S&C program and do over to get where we need to be."

Those guys are batting 1000. ###, I wish we could get them on our coaching staff, perhaps then we could be a top ten football team and win a major bowl or something.

Oh Yeah, I forgot an important one. "Chad is the reason for our success, not Dabo." That's a horrible contradiction to their report that Chad isn't qualified to lead a D1 offense and our program will fall all to helll since our 'real estate agent,' hired him.

Either me or STS is stupid.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

IF there's another offer, you counter-offer BEFORE he leaves

Jan 22, 2014, 12:13 PM [ in reply to Yes it would be a lot better to pay him ]

See below comment for explanation of why we can be pretty sure that no other big-time program has come after Dabo in the last few years.

You've eliminated the possibility that Dabo has been...

Jan 21, 2014, 1:44 PM [ in reply to Foolish to grant big buyout when no better schools want him.*** ]

contacted by other schools and has refuse to apply? Do you think they publish list of those coaches who spurn their invitation to submit resume's for consideration?

Let's be honest here, Razz. Wouldn't Dabo being perused after programs like Texas and other top programs lend legitimacy to us having given him a contract many feel is unfair to Clemson?

This works both ways. Dabo isn't perused by other schools therefor the contract was a horrible mistake by one of the top Universities in the country. All I'm saying is perhaps Dabo was perused and therefor we had to lock him in with this contract that seems to a few to be unwarranted.

Clemson just finished paying off a TB contract. Do you really think Clemson University is stupid enough to make that kind of mistake back to back?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You hear about other candidates for big HC jobs-even Chad.

Jan 22, 2014, 12:08 PM

Big schools like Texas don't announce candidates lists but the information leaks out from a number of internal and external sources, including things like ADs and/or coaches flying places for interviews. For every major HC job opening over the last few years, there were leaks about the top candidates-- and then one of those candidates got hired. We heard about Chad getting interviewed for HC jobs, so it's not like there's some special cone of silence over Clemson's athletic department.

Pumpers thought Tommy Bowden was a flight risk who was under a cone of silence but he's still unemployed even though when he was fired he said that he still wanted to coach.

If Texas, USC, Washington, Penn State, Auburn, Louisville, Vandy, et al, had been interested in Dabo, that WOULD lend legitimacy to Clemson offering a buyout. But despite all of the HC openings over the last few years, neither Texas nor anybody else worthwhile even gave Dabo a sniff. That's exactly why a huge buyout is foolish.

And the buyout was so ridiculously one-sided that if any big-time school wants to hire Dabo, they'll have no problem paying the buyout. Clemson is the only party that is hamstrung by the buyout.

Do I think Clemson University is stupid enough to repeat the Tommy Bowden buyout mistake? Yes. They just made that mistake, only 5 times worse!!!

And D-Rad is the guy who foolishly hired and gave a huge buyout to Paul Johnson at GT despite the fact that Johnson has been presiding over a mediocre GT football program that hasn't done crap since Chan Gailey's recruits graduated. People who know football predicted that Johnson wouldn't be able to recruit-- especially for a very non-NFL-like option offense. Top tier NFL-hopeful recruits don't want to play in an offense that decreases their chances of going to the NFL. But D-Rad thought that it was a great idea to hire Johnson and then later give him an extension with a huge buyout-- as if some other big-time D-1 school would actually want to hire Johnson. Stupidity.

Re: You hear about other candidates for big HC jobs-even Chad.

Jan 26, 2014, 12:25 PM

i think that other schools know it's useless to try to get Dabo to leave clemson because him or chad wouldn't leave clemson. Dabo has beat top 10 teams just about every year. people get over it and say that Dabo is as good or better than any head coach out there. he brings in smart players and has a great graduation rate. i think that the schools that you say wouldn't hire Dabo or chad might just get beat by them.

Replies: 71
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic