Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Position battle: Running back
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 38
| visibility 1

New Story: Position battle: Running back

Jan 16, 2014, 1:52 PM

Position battle: Running back

Clemson running backs will enter 2014 with a grand total of 257 carries on the collegiate level, but offensive coordinator Chad Morris might have as many as eight running backs to choose from in trying to replace Roderick McDowell. (Mitch Stringer-USA TODAY Sports) Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Personally, I'm a little tired of hearing about

Jan 16, 2014, 1:57 PM

The Chad's "smashmouth spread". Truth be told, we've seen time and again over the past few seasons that we get pass-happy when we hit the slightest bit of adversity... especially frustrating when we have been running the ball well all night (Scar 13 and 12 come to mind).

Don't get it twisted, I think he's an excellent coach and we're lucky to have him; however, I will continue to question his resolve in the running game until proven otherwise. Hopefully, that will be the case next season.

I agree to an extent. But I thought he showed signs of

Jan 16, 2014, 2:03 PM

trying to stay with it in The Orange Bowl. Maybe he is learning. I think having a big back will help next year. He has had to use Boyd as his big back. I just don't think he had enough confidence in our RB's to stick with em.
Or I could be wrong, I don't know.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'I Cannot Sanction Your Buffoonery'

When your RB is averaging 5-6 yards don't stop running it

Jan 16, 2014, 2:06 PM

That's what we've done the past two years against SC and FSU to be honest. In all four the games we lost to those guys we ran the ball well, very well in fact, yet we would inexplicably do something stupid like do a drop back pass against elite pass rushers or running trick plays that stall the drives.

Morris is stubborn to a flaw...

Jan 16, 2014, 2:13 PM

we were behind and needed to score and get the ball back quickly.

Re: Morris is stubborn to a flaw...

Jan 17, 2014, 1:56 PM

I get a sense of people feeling that Coach Morris had this stable of elite backs to choose from. Who might they be referring to? McDowell was a decent back who played hard, but was far from being great or a game changer. D.J. Howard?? Maybe I'm missing something, but he's shown me next to zero in his years at Clemson. Zac Brooks at 185 lbs is a non-factor at RB, and will remain so. If he turns sideways, you can't even see him. McDaniel? An okay back, but again nothing out of the ordinary, even at a Division-2 school. If Brooks is our starter at RB this fall, "we in a heap of trouble." Dye and the new guys will have to pick it up, because IMHO, our cupboard is about bare at RB.

Re: Morris is stubborn to a flaw...

Jan 17, 2014, 3:45 PM

Well to McDowell's credit he did sit on the bench behind NFL backs in CJ Spiller and Andre Ellington. He did hit 1000 yards too.

I'm excited to see Dye in action. It's been a while since we had a big bruiser RB at Clemson.

Honestly, I'm impressed with the accomplishments of the RB's at Clemson under Swinney. Our OL wasn't the greatest. At times they looked amazing and other times they were down right atrocious. As this season progressed they seemed to gain ground, however.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In this thread lots of people pretend like they are smarter

Jan 17, 2014, 8:20 AM [ in reply to When your RB is averaging 5-6 yards don't stop running it ]

than college football coaches.

I am. Didn't you know?....OMAHA.....OMAHA...OMAHA!***

Jan 17, 2014, 1:55 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: In this thread lots of people pretend like they are smarter

Jan 17, 2014, 3:50 PM [ in reply to In this thread lots of people pretend like they are smarter ]

That's probably true.

But you can't tell me that the trick play vs SCAR where Sammy threw and interception was a good idea. We were moving the ball effortlessly on that drive.

Re: When your RB is averaging 5-6 yards don't stop running it

Jan 17, 2014, 3:39 PM [ in reply to When your RB is averaging 5-6 yards don't stop running it ]

^THIS^

All day, everyday. I was always taught, "You run the ball down their throat until they stop it."

We will see

Jan 16, 2014, 2:10 PM [ in reply to I agree to an extent. But I thought he showed signs of ]

Like I said, I hope he proves otherwise.

Yeah, there's a huge difference between what

Jan 16, 2014, 2:42 PM [ in reply to Personally, I'm a little tired of hearing about ]

Chad runs and what Auburn ran all year.

Although you have to play to your strengths, and our two best weapons were Tajh and Sammy. It's almost a catch 22, if we lose a game while running it all day with Hot Rod, we'd be screaming for him to get Sammy more involved.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Auburn ran that scheme because they had to

Jan 16, 2014, 2:57 PM

They would've gone 6-6 again if they'd run a more traditional spread offense. I'm guessing that if they stick with the triple option, their success will fade after the first couple of years, kinda like GT. Recruits won't want to play WR or QB in that system, so talent will fall off as well.

However, I don't think Muschamp will continue with the option scheme after he brings in a real QB and some WRs. Remember, we still don't know what Malzahn's offense would look like with his recruits after a couple of years. He's never been anwhywhere that long.

Message was edited by: camcgee®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The fact that Boyd was used more than others

Jan 16, 2014, 3:14 PM [ in reply to Personally, I'm a little tired of hearing about ]

in some critical situations - random 3rd and < 5 yards, say - to me proves Morris didn't have the confidence in HotRod or Brooks when healthy, or Davidson. For example in the SCar game, I remember some blowout runs by HotRod in the first half. But towards the end of the 2Q they started to target him, or whatever, and he wasn't getting long yards. And in the second half I remember a number of his touches were 2 or 3 yards or so, if not a bust. By the 4th it seemed Morris was willing to give HotRod more chances and he busted another big one on a 3rd down. Just a guess - he may have kept targeting the run but we went into full meltdown at that point and kept turning the ball over trying to play long ball catch-up.

I think Morris just trusted Boyd's feet and arm and guys like Sammy, Humphries, and Seckinger more than our runners. HotRod could be shut down pretty easily at times. Right or wrong. With a much deeper running core, I expect to see him go back to his original strategy.

I agree with you, but with no Boyd and Sammy there as

Jan 16, 2014, 3:16 PM [ in reply to Personally, I'm a little tired of hearing about ]

a crutch. This year, I think The Chad will go more of the running game route. At least until he gains confidence in whomever the starting qB is.

Agree. It is time to see it on the field and quit talking..

Jan 16, 2014, 3:36 PM [ in reply to Personally, I'm a little tired of hearing about ]

about it.

I hope Fuller and Oglesby qualify

Jan 16, 2014, 2:04 PM

Heard both had issues with grades and might be looking at prep school. I really would like Oglesby for a scat back to go with the power runners we have.

I head one person saying something about Oglesby

Jan 16, 2014, 2:13 PM

having trouble even qualifying for prep school. If that's the case, I'll be surprised to see him on the roster next year. Then again, that was probably on WCCP, so take it with a grain of salt. I haven't reached the stalker level required to know such things with any certainty.

Re: I head one person saying something about Oglesby

Jan 16, 2014, 2:24 PM

I've actually heard that Oglesby is putting in the work and that qualifying without Prep is vary attainable.

Fuller, not so much.

Very possible I heard the same thing and got it mixed up***

Jan 16, 2014, 2:42 PM

Re: I hope Fuller and Oglesby qualify- where would a kid go

Jan 16, 2014, 2:14 PM [ in reply to I hope Fuller and Oglesby qualify ]

for Prep school. I've heard Hargrave dropped football. What are the other options for kids

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good point. I forgot about that***

Jan 16, 2014, 2:17 PM

Re: Good point. I forgot about that***

Jan 16, 2014, 2:46 PM

Where did Preister go for prep?

Fork Union***

Jan 16, 2014, 2:47 PM [ in reply to Re: I hope Fuller and Oglesby qualify- where would a kid go ]

Re: Fork Union***

Jan 16, 2014, 2:48 PM

Thanks so now we got a place!!

I want to say Georgia Military has a program too

Jan 16, 2014, 2:54 PM

but I might be wrong

Re: New Story: Position battle: Running back

Jan 16, 2014, 2:15 PM

I believe we haven't seen the "smash mouth" spread because of personnel. We didn't have a lot of depth at RB this year, and Tajh has been such a proficient passer. With next years stable of RB's and the inexperience at QB I think we might finally see the smash mouth offense the Chad has wanted.

I could believe that if there was evidence to support it

Jan 16, 2014, 2:19 PM

We were averaging something like 8 ypc against SC last year before we quit running the ball. We had a lot of success with it early on in this year's game. You can't make those kind of excuses for him when your starting RB is undersized and still averages over 5 ypc on the season.

Re: I could believe that if there was evidence to support it

Jan 16, 2014, 2:25 PM

You're right about the SC game. I wish Rod would've gotten a lot more touches. But the evidence to support it is in the recruiting. Chad Kelly and Deshaun Watson are dual threat QBs, and look at the sheer number of solid RB's we're bringing in. If Stoudt takes the QB position, Chad's been trying to get him running also.

Re: New Story: Position battle: Running back

Jan 16, 2014, 7:07 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Position battle: Running back ]

morris had chad Diehl he could have used in red zone or short yardage and never did. he just likes to throw the ball or trick people.

You mean to tell me that if we had tod Gurley

Jan 16, 2014, 2:21 PM

We wouldn't run the football

Adam Choice looks like the best out of all of them to me!!

Jan 16, 2014, 2:39 PM

his film looks the best to me.

We might have gone undefeated with Gurley on the team

Jan 16, 2014, 5:09 PM [ in reply to You mean to tell me that if we had tod Gurley ]

even with all of those turnovers.......our offensive would have been virtually unstoppable.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Why the over-emphasis on size

Jan 16, 2014, 3:06 PM

as if it's a panacea? Shiftiness, vision, acceleration through a hole, cutback ability - all these things are even more important(see: Andre Ellington, college, and now pro).

Hot Rod was what, about 200 lbs? And did a great job I thought - whenever we handed him the ball, that is.

Sure, I want a 235 lb, 4.3 Bo Jackson guy. So does everyone. But those are extremely rare individuals, and then can they stay healthy on top of that?(See: Gurley).

At 230# the body holds up to the abuse better

Jan 16, 2014, 5:11 PM

Also 230# at 4.4 speed going full blast is harder to stop than 185 at 4.4 speed going full blast.

That is almost 50#

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Whenever Rod got to a defender he was usually tackled

Jan 16, 2014, 3:19 PM

Would be interested to see his yards after contact numbers. Saw a few buckeyes throw him down with one arm and who can forget the other the top rag doll body slam by the UGA LB early in that game.

C.J. Davidson or bust!

Jan 16, 2014, 3:27 PM

Let that man have a shot!

Re: C.J. Davidson or bust!

Jan 17, 2014, 2:11 PM

He's had his touches, and I as yet haven't seen anything to get weak-kneed about. If he's better than Dye, Gallman, Choice, etc., then we are in trouble at RB.

Replies: 38
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic