Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Position battle: Quarterback
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 43
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Position battle: Quarterback

Jan 14, 2014, 2:22 PM

Position battle: Quarterback

Cole Stoudt, Chad Kelly and Deshaun Watson will battle it out this spring in hopes of being Clemson's starting quarterback in 2014, and each player brings a little something different to the table. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just a personal opinion...

Jan 14, 2014, 3:04 PM

But i would really love to see chad Kelly win the job. Kid totally has the "it" factor.

Re: Just a personal opinion...

Jan 14, 2014, 3:33 PM

Watson :)

Stoudt - he outperformed Chad this year - Chad is better

Jan 14, 2014, 9:17 PM

runner- bring him in at wildcat fairly often for big change of pace like Usuc did...Stoudt is cool, calm and collected plus pinpoint passing! Redshirt Watson just as Tajh, Johnny football, and Winston did - Watson's heros!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 14, 2014, 4:12 PM

I hope Watson comes out in the spring and earns the spot. Would be fun to watch if he could have a freshman year like Manziel

Jan 14, 2014, 4:30 PM

Garcia had the it factor... Shaw managed the O. With the way I think our D will play next year I want a QB that will manage the O.
Stoudt does not make many mistakes.

Re: Re: Just a personal opinion...

Jan 14, 2014, 5:31 PM

But Shaw also can run a 4.4 and is very elusive and quick. I doubt Kelly will be a drunk like Garcia anyways. I love Cole's reliability and he's crazy accurate and would love to see him really own up and take the spot but Kelly is no joke; like Dabo said, he's a really, really good leader...he's always in front, wants to be involved and really gets it. I think Watson should redshirt and take the J. Winston route UNLESS he's just that sick and takes the top spot. Really like my boy Kelly tho...just my 2 cents

Re: Re: Just a personal opinion...

Jan 14, 2014, 11:08 PM

I think the offense will be better with Cole Stoudt as the full time starter. He will have the running backs needed to run the offense and he will just need to sprinkle enough of a QB running threat to make this offense pretty potent. He is accurate, poised, and can lead this team. Add on a stronger defensive presence, and we could be dangerous!

Maziel was a RS freshman ...

Jan 14, 2014, 4:33 PM [ in reply to Re: Just a personal opinion... ]

If Watson comes in and wins the job, it would be huge!

It would mean either Watson is among the most talented and mature true freshman ever to play the game, or that Cole Stoudt and Chad Kelly are perhaps not the real deal.

Personally, I think Watson RS's to get bigger, stronger and learn the system.

Now if/when it's just Kelly vs Watson in 2015, that's when it will get really interesting.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Watson RS and make Chad Morris stay longer.***

Jan 14, 2014, 5:59 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Maziel was a RS freshman ...

Jan 14, 2014, 7:51 PM [ in reply to Maziel was a RS freshman ... ]

Long! I do agree. IMO, this system we run favors a Kelly/Watson style play, because the run is very important. I also will say that Stoudt has done nothing but perform very well every time he has entered a game, and I think he has the best arm of the bunch. Lastly, Scheusler (sp), did an awesome job in last year's Spring game. The guy impressed me, especially since he had just transferred over from Ole Miss. What a great dilemma! We have 4 QB's who are very capable of effectively running the team. What would BC (I think it was them who had lost all their QB's and had to resort to a LB to play QB) have given for that last year? Our future is bright!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Maziel was a RS freshman ...

Jan 14, 2014, 8:39 PM [ in reply to Maziel was a RS freshman ... ]

It would mean that one and maybe 2 QBs would be looking for another school to play FB at. I'm almost sure that the kelly family will not sit well with Chad on the bench. If Watson is the it man and wins the job, Chad will be gone in a short time, weeks, to another school, and that school would most likely be a lower level school so he doesn't have to sit out. He could go to a lower lever school and most likely start in the middle of a season if that is allowed.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

he still has a redshirt year, so if he doesn't win the

Jan 14, 2014, 8:55 PM

job he can transfer to a 1-AA and play in 2015

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Watson should redshirt...

Jan 14, 2014, 4:27 PM

He should take a year off to learn the system. Winston did the same thing at FSU. I think It will make him a better quarterback at Clemson.

Re: Watson should redshirt...

Jan 14, 2014, 4:28 PM

Watson will only be at Clemson 4 years... at most.... no point in redshirting!

Jan 14, 2014, 4:36 PM

Manziel and Winston both red shirted. IMHO, the pressure of being thrown in the deep end before you know how to swim can do permanent damage to a QB's psyche. Of course all great HS players see themselves starting from day one, but few (especially QBs) are really capable.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 14, 2014, 6:00 PM

Manziel is in the NFL draft 3 years after HS....
I do expect Watson to start but there is no point in redshirting when you are going to the NFL after 3 or 4 years in any case. I do not expect Watson to be at Clemson 5 years like Boyd or 4 years like Breeland, Breeland red shirted, maybe that was because of injury like Peake this year but i expect next year to be Peake's last year in a Clemson uniform.

yep, there is no reason to think that Watson

Jan 14, 2014, 7:57 PM

is any worse than manzel. Clearly he will win the Heisman and be drafted in three years. I am tired of all our QBs leaving early for the NFL because we redshirted them.

Bottom line is if Watson is good enough to play and

Jan 14, 2014, 9:15 PM

contribute his freshman year then play him. Thankfully we have coaches that make that decision. Nobody knows what is or isn't in Watson's future. Have seen him play numerous times and he is a special talent.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Bottom line is if Watson is good enough to play and

Jan 14, 2014, 9:18 PM

If he's ready, Dabo will play him. That for sure.

Jan 14, 2014, 6:01 PM [ in reply to Watson should redshirt... ]

Stoudt did not red shirt!

Totally agree- he needs to beef up a bit too. Stoudt is in

Jan 14, 2014, 6:21 PM [ in reply to Watson should redshirt... ]

best position to be the starter with all considered. Spring will ultimately decide but Watson would serve himself best by red-shirting just as you said. Watson is mature for his age as well and he'll (hopefully) see the benefit for his team as well as for himself.

Jan 14, 2014, 4:37 PM

Interesting. If watson is half as good as advertised then he should win it. I guess it just depends on how quickly he can learn the system. I do think that almost any quarterback is better with a redshirt year. I like Stoudt, but it's hard for me to not pull for Kelly after what he went through this year.

Jan 15, 2014, 7:00 AM

we await explanation of "hiccup" Stoudt exhibited he can do many times. "I" think he was underplayed as Morris knew his senior qb was leaving, after watching many Tiger games it became apparent (many of us think so) if at start of 1st quarter if defense got to Tahj he became unravelled and sometime took too long to get over it. Stoudt deserve to start but college football is not a PC world.

If by Garcia's "it" factor

Jan 14, 2014, 4:37 PM

You meant sh"it"faced factor then yes you are right.

Re: If by Garcia's "it" factor

Jan 14, 2014, 7:31 PM

or car keying,or failure to stop for police,or "Spurrier would not go into details of what caused Garcia's fifth suspension – and second this spring",....if that's the "it" factor, no thanks.

Re: Front Page Story: Position battle: Quarterback

Jan 14, 2014, 4:41 PM

Cole should get it. He has had the most time in the system, the most accurate and has proven he can do okay with his legs. The biggest thing we need with young WRs coming in is somehow who is comfortable and confident at QB. This guy has sat behind Tajh his whole career, I 100% believe he will lead us to another 10+ win season and a big win over USC!!!
Go Cole!!

Jan 14, 2014, 8:44 PM

Stoudt seen to have great accuracy and should be able to see the entire field. If he's able to read defenses, pickup blitzes, protect the ball, and audible well, he will be the man for the job. He's capable of being a Patton Manning style of QB. He shouldn't have to do much running this year because our backfield should be loaded with many versatile runningbacks. Sizes, speed, power, as well as quickness. We should have a big and great year with our running game which should setup for a very productive passing game. Therefore, Stoudt wouldn't have to do to much running. Especially, if he become a master reader of defenses.

Jan 15, 2014, 7:08 AM

Totally agree. With the talent CU can recruit running backs. Stoudt shows Pro potential. Also, life expectancy at starter qb is definitely limited due to dashing for the 1st down. stoudt's talent will provide outstanding year for WRs.

David: Stoudt did not RS....

Jan 14, 2014, 4:44 PM

I think that the year that he was a freshman, the QB position was thin (maybe there was a QB transfer or two that year), and so he played as a backup QB and was not redshirted.

Re: David: Stoudt did not RS....

Jan 14, 2014, 5:02 PM

That's true. Since then, we lost Tony McNeal and Morgan Roberts (transfer). When Stoudt came in, we were very thin at the QB position as there were 3 true freshman on the team in Stoudt, McNeal, and Roberts.

Jan 14, 2014, 5:26 PM

If he didn't redshirt, how is he a 5th year senior?

Jan 14, 2014, 5:29 PM

He isn't. The author was mistaken.

Watson will RS

Jan 14, 2014, 6:35 PM

He will still be eligible to leave in 3 years. If he starts this year that means he is all world. It's not likely. Too much talent in front of him.

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Swag has it in the bag***

Jan 14, 2014, 7:52 PM

IMO..it's Stoudt as starter, Kelly playing a lot & rs Watson

Jan 14, 2014, 7:57 PM

GoTiGS!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Swag has it in the bag***

Jan 14, 2014, 8:57 PM [ in reply to Swag has it in the bag*** ]

If so, our explosive offense should kick it into another gear. This kid love to play the game, plays with passion, plays with determination, doesn't seen to rattle easily, and has that drive to win. Should bring or keep the offense excitement going.

That description fits them all

Jan 14, 2014, 9:03 PM

I will go with Stoudt. I am more concerned with a QB that can throw ball more so than a great ability to run the ball. That's why we have Dye, Gallma, Brooks, etc.

Swag has it in the bag***Bring him in as Wildcat QB

Jan 14, 2014, 9:19 PM [ in reply to Re: Swag has it in the bag*** ]

Stoudt is cooler and is better passer. rs Watson

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Swag has it in the bag***

Jan 15, 2014, 3:36 PM [ in reply to Re: Swag has it in the bag*** ]

I'm new hear but been following this topic. Here are a few thoughts.

Cole only played mostly "mop-up" time. What back up QB doesn't? All he has done is perform when he plays. Also, how many times did he have Sammy or Bryant when he was in? Or the first team line?

If his time was mop up, how does one say Kelly is better playing "back up" mop up time?

One thing that no one seems to realize is that Stoudt does practice every day against a better defense than all but one or two teams we faced this year..... ours! I'm sure the coaches put A LOT of importance on practice time that none of us get to see.

That being said, the best QB will play.

FYI: 4 of last 5 Nat. Champs won it without a "running" QB. Food for thought. That includes the most recent one who also won the Heisman.

Plays w/ 2 at a time... but too bad they're all RH

Jan 14, 2014, 10:48 PM

There are a lot of new examples with schemes using two QBs simultaneously. It doesn't last much longer than a few plays or a single drive, but I wouldn't put it past Chad to find a way to make this interesting.

Drawing up plays would be probably be a lot easier if one of the three were left-handed.

Either way, I would hate to leave talent on the sideline.

If Watson wins a starting job, look for Kelly to transfer

Jan 15, 2014, 7:12 AM

I know he wants to be loyal to Clemson but I don't see him sticking around if he knows he's always going to be the backup. Having 3 capable QBs is a good problem, don't get me wrong, but someone on the sideline is going to have their feelings hurt, especially if Watson is anywhere higher than 3rd on the depth chart.

Re: If Watson wins a starting job, look for Kelly to transfer

Jan 15, 2014, 3:55 PM

I think you can update that to just, "someone on the sideline is going to have their feelings hurt."

The quotes I've seen from Watson do not sound like someone who has considered redshirting or playing back up.

...and wasn't there some recruiting excitement when he decided to go visit somewhere else after he was verbally committed?

I would be surprised if there wasn't at least a little QB drama this year.

Last two heisman winners were redshirt freshmen

Jan 15, 2014, 10:28 AM

I don't think Watson is better than Manziel or Winston.
1) Start Stoudt
2) Kelly for running plays and second half, unless he clearly outperforms Stoudt. (Stoudt looks like a better pure thrower than Boyd and will probably have less INT)
3) Redshirt Watson.

Replies: 43
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic