Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Tigers improve defensively, but need to run the football more in 2014
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Tigers improve defensively, but need to run the football more in 2014

Jan 13, 2014, 9:54 AM

Tigers improve defensively, but need to run the football more in 2014

Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney said the Tigers improved in several areas in 2013,including defensively, but he said he wants to see his offense run the ball more effectively next season. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Really glad to see Dabo speak more level-headed here...

Jan 13, 2014, 10:08 AM

he gets so wound up at times, you don't know what is real and what is hype. but this all sounds rational and accurate. Can't wait for the new season to begin!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

Next year

Jan 13, 2014, 10:17 AM

What's funny is all the coots and others thinking we will be way down next year with out Boyd and Watkins. They obviously do not follow this team bc we have ample talent to replace the guys that are leaving. Watkins was a once in a lifetime WR for us but now we will have 4 players who are very good. And a QB that can really run the ball, (which Dabo eluded to, so he may be leaning towards Kelly or Watson.) our defense is getting better every year! No reason we shouldn't be as good or better next year.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's a tad bit of a stretch

Jan 13, 2021, 4:15 PM

Don't see how you can lose your school record breaking QB, the best WR we've ever had, a very good RB, the best CB, the best OL, and if Vic goes (which is more likely than not), our best DL and expect to be as good. I do think we will be a solid, good football team but just can't rationalize a way the 2014 team will be as good. I still think we win 9+ games because this conference is crap but feel we will lack the elite play-makers 2013's team had.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree to a certain extent....

Jan 13, 2014, 12:59 PM

Obviously it's not an easy task to replace Boyd, Watkins, and Thomas, but we do have ample talent at each position(most of which have at least 2 years in these systems). I personally believe we'll have better RB play this year. Hot Rod was solid/consistent but hardly ever electric.

On the defensive side of the ball I believe we will be even better and more improved in 2014. If Beasley leaves, Sack Lawson steps in(lets not forget how well he played in limited snaps). The biggest plus for our D is Grady Jarrett returning. I also expect DB play to be much improved this year even without breeland.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Re: I agree to a certain extent....

Jan 13, 2014, 1:57 PM

RB MAY be better but we have mostly unknowns so it is hard for me to put that in the check box for improvement. Could it happen? absolutely; will it? not sure.

OL is a bug question mark as Thomas was a stud and we really don't have a returning stud. it could be about the same but again, I see it as a push at best.

Lawson is a very good player but his body is starting to look like a 3-technique, not a 5-6 technique. If Beasley leaves, I do not think we will have anyone on his level off the edge.

CB's - losing Breeland is huge and will likely cause some problems. We may be better overall but don't have a lock-down SB unless Alexander shows out. Let's hope our Safety play improves as it was abysmal this year. LB should be fine but losing the most consistent, toughest player on the team in Shuey may be more challenging to overcome than many think - kid has average talent but just always makes plays, makes tackles, is in the right gap, gets off blocks - my favorite defensive player this year.

College football is about change so I'm hopeful we rise to the level of this year's team - I just rationally don't see it.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That's a tad bit of a stretch

Jan 14, 2014, 1:32 PM [ in reply to That's a tad bit of a stretch ]

Unless there are some huge step-ups by a number of key players, I've got to agree with you.

Re: Next year

Jan 13, 2014, 1:19 PM [ in reply to Next year ]

Watkins was once in a lifetime WR, Spiller was a once in a life time RB and KR. I would not trade Nuk or Ellington for either of them. We will lose players every year but the recruiting and coaching is designed to fill those holes.
That is what FSU did this year and will attempt to do next year.
I expect us to be in the top ten next year.... We still might lose more than the 2 games we lost this year or less?

Re: Next year

Jan 14, 2014, 1:36 PM

You mention recruiting. We seem to have stalled there---not winning those battles for key players recently. Any thoughts on that?

Re: Front Page Story: Tigers improve defensively, but need to run the football more in 2014

Jan 13, 2014, 10:30 AM

running would be fine but we've not got much experience at rb and what we have has been injury prone. we are about as untested at rb as we have been in years. Brooks showd flashes and CJ has too. everyone else is a question mark

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Front Page Story: Tigers improve defensively, but need to run the football more in 2014

Jan 13, 2014, 10:46 AM

Gallman has shown coaches something. Watch him.

Gallman and Dye

Jan 13, 2014, 11:03 AM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Tigers improve defensively, but need to run the football more in 2014 ]

It's easier for freshmen (especially RS Freshmen) to make an immediate impact than other positions. Spiller and Gurley are two excellent athletes that came in and contributed from day one. Gallman and Dye have had a whole year to learn and get better, so they're not freshmen at all.

Jan 14, 2014, 1:39 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Tigers improve defensively, but need to run the football more in 2014 ]

STILL at 185 lbs, I just don't see Brooks as any kind of fact at RB. Why not try him at DB, which I believe he played in HS?

I think we'll be just fine.***

Jan 13, 2014, 10:35 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 13, 2014, 10:51 AM

Dont run plays with our best receiver throwing the ball especially against USC when driving and will cut down turnovers.. Looking forward to another great season!

our depth

Jan 13, 2014, 11:36 AM

Is reminiscient of our depth in the late 80's. We have the talent at this stage in the Dabo era to expect to win 10/11/12+ games each yr . Our QB play is crucial , but with what we have back on Defense and with a little luck we have a better than average chance at being in the "CFB Final Four" in 2015.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Re: our depth

Jan 13, 2014, 1:07 PM

A little luck is always a welcomed thing!!!!!

I have more than average confidence in this team and coaches

Jan 13, 2014, 1:16 PM [ in reply to our depth ]

but making the first playoff is a dream. I think it's a reasonable goal but when it's all said and done I don't believe we'll make the playoffs with some things being beyond our team's control.

It will take a lot of luck and a lot of good or poor officiating. It always happens that way.

We should never set our expectations as high as our goals. This is the prime reason the faithful get discouraged with this coaching staff and our players.

Message was edited by: ClemsonTiger1988®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I have more than average confidence in this team and coaches

Jan 13, 2014, 1:25 PM

Making the playoff will be like making the NC under the BCS... it requires a little luck in most cases.
A good team however should be in one of the top 6 bowls, Rose, Sugar, Orange, Fiesta, ChikFilA, and Cotton. It is no longer limited to 2 teams from a conference. So every top 10 team should be in one of those bowls. After the playoff games, ACC Championship, beating USC, that should be the next goal.

Agree, but beating the dirtpecker should be demanded.

Jan 13, 2014, 1:29 PM

I'm with franc on this one. I was fed up with losing to them five years ago.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been landblasted more than once for saying...

Jan 13, 2014, 1:26 PM

we'll be better as a team next year. Not that I don't like a good landblasting for the excitement and attention but it's my belief and I'm sticking by it.

I expect the running game to resemble AU more next year than the past which facilitates the completion of our offensive scheme. We threw the ball to set up the run. That ain't no way to play a football game.

We were lucky we didn't have more turnovers on interceptions this past season. Now we're getting down to the basics of football and that a good solid running game.

The talent is there in the secondary which is something that, though we've gotten better each year, we've lacked for what seems like an eternity. Though it more like seven or eight years.

YEP, we'll be a better team though I'm not about to lay claims to a national championship or even a playoff spot.

Agree***

Jan 13, 2014, 8:50 PM

The reality is that we should've run a hellava lot more...

Jan 13, 2014, 1:43 PM

IMO I think we could've at least competed or possibly beat FreeShoesU IF we ran the ball (with our RBs) more because we were carving them up in the trenches with Rod (who could've been a 1300+ yard rusher this past season if we actually fed him the ball, i. e. UGA) and USuCk, no comment there. But definitely, run the ball more this coming season. We literally have a stable full of big, nasty, fast, bruising, healthy, athletic RBs...utilize them and I feel very optimistic about 2014.

Only way we can have a shot at beating FSU next year

Jan 13, 2014, 1:49 PM

is if we can run the ball north and south and spend as little time as possible in the backfield. Auburn was pretty successful at running the ball against them because their running plays generally develop quickly and get upfield quickly (and they use lead blockers a lot of the time.)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 13, 2014, 8:42 PM

You mean run the ball like we were doing the last two years against the coots until somebody decided the 5 -7 yards per clip we were getting wasn't getting the job done so we decided to throw more.
Is that the run that is being referred to in this article? Just wanted to make certain I was on the
same page as our offensive coaches.
I mean after all I have had at least 5 different coot fans ask me why we abandoned the run that was somewhat effective,especially in this last game!

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic