Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Groundhog Day
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Groundhog Day

Jan 10, 2014, 11:18 AM

Groundhog Day

The Clemson football program has completed two almost identical seasons - will 2014 be the season they break the cycle of Groundhog Day? Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well said. Always strive for more

Jan 10, 2014, 11:25 AM

Personally i think we'll beat UGA and SC with what we have coming back and what we are getting from this cycle. FSU at their place is going to be hard, very hard. Still as long as we get the QB situation settled we have the talent to win 10-11 games next year.

I'm perfectly OK with 11-2 seasons. That is all :-)***

Jan 10, 2014, 11:29 AM

Re: I'm perfectly OK with 11-2 seasons. That is all :-)***

Jan 10, 2014, 3:46 PM

Agreed

More than the record could reverse the Groundhog Day effect

Jan 10, 2014, 11:33 AM

A more solid performance and playing at a higher skill level in key games would be a great start.

If we go 1-2 in key games this season but are in those games until the last snap WITHOUT a load of sloppy mistakes, that will be progress to me.

But I think we have our best shot at beating the 2 SEC teams this year than we've had in a while. An end of the season SCar without Shaw after our younger talent has experience and Venables and Morris have shifted and reshifted players, and playing in DV seems like an easier win. But like I say, it requires less mistakes and playing at a higher level than last year.

Re: More than the record could reverse the Groundhog Day effect

Jan 10, 2014, 12:47 PM

We will have Louisville on the schedule next years as well....

If we are 11 - 1 we will have a shot at the 4 team play-in...

I expect our D to be very good and will be disappointed otherwise. Unless Morris leaves I expect our O to score 30+ points in every game, the only thing that keeps us below 30 is TOs or our D not being able to get off the field.

Re: More than the record could reverse the Groundhog Day effect

Jan 10, 2014, 1:03 PM [ in reply to More than the record could reverse the Groundhog Day effect ]

I'm with you NortherTiger!
but if you think about it, ANY better performance against SCU & we'd have WON that game anyways.
i do think it's crucial to pick up 1 more win or at least beat the coots (which is still an SEC match-up & would trade out even if we lost @ UGA).
we'll have ZERO excuse to not cage the cluckers & FSU will be a beast, but we have to play up to potential. beating the 'noles will be the toughest task, but ya never know about that one for sure...we've pulled some upsets over them!

We'll have to see how FSU's season develops, but....

Jan 10, 2014, 1:26 PM

....I think an upset IN Tallahassee will require some extra magic. Maybe voodoo? But they could always come into the game with excessive injuries or newer guys not playing at the level of those who are leaving for the NFL.

.....or there could be a hard freeze that day or night causing them to play badly (humor).

Realistically, I expect them to schedule a puff game or a bye week before playing us, too. They will be ready.

Let's hope the ACC schedules a bye for us as well.***

Jan 10, 2014, 1:33 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg2006_nit_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We're friends. You laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You jump off a bridge, I get in my boat and save your retarded a$$.

perfectly said***

Jan 10, 2014, 11:37 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Seems like with the unprecedented number of losses of jr.s

Jan 10, 2014, 12:43 PM

to the NFL, we'd be lucky to go 11-2 next year.

It's really not that bad

Jan 10, 2014, 1:52 PM

We've got an unprecedented amount of talent redshirting for various reasons.

Re: Seems like with the unprecedented number of losses of jr.s

Jan 11, 2014, 2:26 AM [ in reply to Seems like with the unprecedented number of losses of jr.s ]

If Auburn can go from the bottom of the conference, to the National Championship game. Then Clemson has just as much, if not, a greater opportunity to be a the top of the league by truly playing Clemson football at all time, during all games, and refused to settle for anything less. TRULY ALL-IN, ALL THE TIME.

"So, put your liddle hand in mine..."

Jan 10, 2014, 1:04 PM

Phil? Phil Connors?

Re: "So, put your liddle hand in mine..."

Jan 10, 2014, 2:16 PM

9-3 is more likely. I don't think that we'll beat Jawja, FSU,or the coots next year. Not with all of the talent that we are losing. The only possible way to go 11-1 is for our defense to step wayyyy up, especially in the secondary. The front seven should be salty again, but those back four have killed us for several years now by giving up so many chunk plays. Peeking in the backfield, blown coverages, missed tackles and bad angles. Year after year after year.

We have plenty of talent back there, but not much experience. With Breeland bolting and Darius graduating, corner could be a real weak spot. Safety also with Kearse's tendency to look in the backfield, thus blowing coverages. He has a chance to be a real star, but has to get his head together and do HIS assignment. Blanks also had a bad year after an outstanding true freshman year. Robert Smith came on from about the middle of the year forward. Who knows? Maybe Mackensie Alexander, Baker and some of those other young pups will live up to their billing.

I think the future looks good ...

Jan 10, 2014, 2:14 PM

And our GHD looks pretty good, though I agree, I want it to be better. The good thing is we didn't go backwards.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think we will be lucky to go 1-2

Jan 10, 2014, 3:22 PM

With our losses, opening at UGa will be super tough, FSU is an almost impossible game to win, and given our recent history against Slurrier, I don't see us winning that one either.

Re: I think we will be lucky to go 1-2

Jan 10, 2014, 3:47 PM

The truth

Well darn David

Jan 10, 2014, 4:51 PM

The most disappointing thing you wrote was there will be no coaching turnover. I am hopeful, if the planets can please align, we can get rid of Pearman. He is a liability (major) in recruiting and poor as Special Teams coach. Also, Elliott needs to dial up his recruiting or move on. A RB coach is primarily a recruiter and his track record is just so-so (minus) to date. Reed needs to bring home some high quality players too although I think he needs another year to find his groove at Clemson.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Why couldn't it have been '81..that was a good year"

Jan 10, 2014, 8:34 PM

Flapjacks anyone?

Disagree on almost every point.

Jan 11, 2014, 8:07 AM

Yes, there are parallels to the past 2 seasons - losing to FSU and the coots, ending with big bowl wins. But that is where the similarities end AND, most importantly, if going 11-2 is "Groundhog Day", then sign me up, because I guarantee you the UGAs, Miamis, Floridas, Penn States, Texases, etc. of the college football world would love to have had our past 2 seasons.

In the past 3 seasons Clemson has won the ACC title, been a division co-champion, beaten top 5 and top 10 teams, and won one of the last-ever BCS games. That is not Groundhog Day, that is moving into the upper echelon of the game, seeing the mountaintop, as Dabo said.

It's not easy, I assure you. And the only other place to go at this point is into one of the final four playoff slots. We're on the cusp of it and it has all happened in the past 3 seasons. We weren't even in the discussion prior to 2011.

I am amazed at the short memories (or youth maybe) of many fans, but, with all due respect, a Clemson beat writer should know better.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The next step is to beat SCar. That would show some

Jan 13, 2014, 8:47 PM

progress regardless of the record. 5 years is long enough. 6 years should get you fired. Period. End of story.

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic