Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football Update: Tommy Bowden on ACC vs SEC
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 51
| visibility 1

Football Update: Tommy Bowden on ACC vs SEC

Dec 30, 2013, 10:17 AM

Tommy Bowden on ACC vs SEC

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

CTB nailed it***

Dec 30, 2013, 10:19 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

^^^Accepts mediocrety***

Dec 30, 2013, 10:24 AM

null

not as much as his wife did though...

Dec 30, 2013, 10:49 AM

amirite?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

100%***

Dec 30, 2013, 10:50 AM

null

I don't deny that one bit***

Dec 30, 2013, 10:51 AM [ in reply to not as much as his wife did though... ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Don't be so light on yourself....***

Dec 30, 2013, 10:53 AM

null

he seems broked; maybe his nut kin finally wore him out?***

Dec 30, 2013, 10:54 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^Battered wife syndrome. I never liked that Bob guy

Dec 30, 2013, 10:56 AM

anyway....

null

Gotta keep these wimmins in their place...

Dec 30, 2013, 10:58 AM

next thing you know they'll be wanting to vote.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

We must all work together to end women's suffrage!***

Dec 30, 2013, 11:20 AM

i've been doing that $1 at a time for years now...***

Dec 30, 2013, 11:22 AM

Re: i've been doing that $1 at a time for years now...***

Dec 30, 2013, 1:04 PM

Comment of the day my friend!

How do explain FSU?***

Dec 30, 2013, 10:21 AM

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Re: How do explain FSU? I think

Dec 30, 2013, 10:25 AM

JImbo must be a genius. And he definitely keeps it well hidden

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good question

Dec 30, 2013, 10:25 AM [ in reply to How do explain FSU?*** ]

While FSU provides a good education, it seems clear that they put a big emphasis on athletics. From reading the article from an FSU faculty member (I think it was from deadspin?) it's clear the athletes' handlers do a good job for them. While the FSU faculty members may not be 100% on board, they seem to pretend it's ok.

Athletic handler? Don't know about that but

Dec 30, 2013, 10:28 AM

lbu is definitely an athletic supporter.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

He said "a lot". He did not say all.***

Dec 30, 2013, 10:25 AM [ in reply to How do explain FSU?*** ]

Whatever. No excuses

Dec 30, 2013, 10:30 AM

If FSU can dominate then Clemson, UNC, and other southern schools have no excuses.

If the model is FSU then everyone needs to follow it.

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

I'm not in favor of compromising the integrity of my degree

Dec 30, 2013, 10:53 AM

by dumbing-down the admissions requirements and the cirriculum for the sole purpose of winning more games.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Whatever. No excuses

Dec 30, 2013, 12:00 PM [ in reply to Whatever. No excuses ]

Good luck in getting most of the other ACC schools to adopt the attitude FSU has about their athletic programs. They (FSU) really are more in line with the sec when it comes to that, IMO.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How do explain Duke?

Dec 30, 2013, 10:33 AM [ in reply to How do explain FSU?*** ]

:O

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How do explain Duke? Johnson?

Dec 30, 2013, 10:36 AM

I think he missed the bowl because he was hurt.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How do explain FSU?***

Dec 30, 2013, 12:08 PM [ in reply to How do explain FSU?*** ]

http://deadspin.com/jameis-winston-isnt-the-only-problem-here-an-fsu-teac-1467707410

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah....it would be a real shame....

Dec 30, 2013, 10:25 AM

if colleges and universities actually attempted to provide student-athletes with a legitimate education.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

uh yes, Tommy we need gooder edumacation in the South...

Dec 30, 2013, 10:28 AM

"I'm not sure the ACC presidents understand those intangibles you need. You need all that, but the president has to calm the faculty down. Most of the time, the faculty really don't like it. North Carolina tried it a couple years ago. Didn't work real good."

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^grammar nazi

Dec 30, 2013, 10:29 AM

By the way, I thought you loved CTB since he rarely lost to the coots?

I loved him and Dabo...

love the sinner, hate the sin

Re: uh yes, Tommy we need gooder edumacation in the South...

Dec 30, 2013, 11:07 AM [ in reply to uh yes, Tommy we need gooder edumacation in the South... ]

And "You need to have curriculums...."

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ClemTigs

Sad world we live in but he is right

Universities are the minor leagues for athletes and it is what brings in a lot of money to many schools.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"North Carolina tried it..."

Dec 30, 2013, 10:33 AM

That's ridiculous. UNC tried rampant corruption. It's insulting to imply that UNC simply tried to "ease" requirements.

When is enough enough? How far down the path toward "institutionally-affiliate professional programs" do we have to get before we just turn off the TV's on Saturday and just wait until Sunday to watch better football?

I have no problem with football players majoring in Sociology or Communications because it takes less time than, say, Architecture or Chemical Engineering. I have no problem with having an entire building devoted to academic success for students who also play a sport. But at some point a line must be drawn. The ACC doesn't want to be the Ivy. They want to educate their students. Crazy thought, I know.

There is nothing wrong with expecting student-athletes to be student-athletes.

null

You can say that, but then we get all PO'd when Clemson

Dec 30, 2013, 10:36 AM

will not accept a football player who turns around and plays for UNC. Sometimes you have to give a kid a chance to be a student athlete.

I don't. I was puzzled at the time because I thought UNC

Dec 30, 2013, 10:41 AM

was a pretty reputable institution of higher learning. Then I realized that they were a totally corrupt, win-at-all-costs program and it became clear. The kids they accepted that we did not would not get in to any school that had ANY standards.

null

Agree. I think that you have to look at more intangibles

Dec 30, 2013, 11:16 AM [ in reply to You can say that, but then we get all PO'd when Clemson ]

than the SAT or ACT. Have had many student athletes in the past that have proven that in the environment of Vickery Hall and the tutors, they have had great success. They have not had that in their high school education and many have went on to very successful careers.

You do know the kid you refer to was part of UNCs academic

Dec 31, 2013, 4:43 PM [ in reply to You can say that, but then we get all PO'd when Clemson ]

problems, right? Maybe it was best we turned him down - seems like our process worked as is was designed.

Based on you, West Virginny needs to work on its education.

Dec 30, 2013, 11:25 AM

Let's see, where do we begin?

"A lot of ACC teams want to be in the SEC on Saturday and in the Ivy Leagues Monday through Friday," Bowden said.

Ivy League is singular. It's one conference, moron.

"By that I mean public education in the Southeast is not highly rated. You need to have curriculums where players can get in and get eligible and get their degree.

Are we talking about public education at the college level or not? Because public higher education is highly rated in the Southeast at some schools. You coached at one of them - Clemson.

"I'm not sure the ACC presidents understand those intangibles you need. You need all that, but the president has to calm the faculty down. Most of the time, the faculty really don't like it. North Carolina tried it a couple years ago."

What?!? North Carolina didn't try anything except cheating, deception, and cover-ups. The widespread academic fraud at UNC was an embarrassment. It's something I would expect from the SEC, not the ACC.

"Didn't work real good."

It didn't work well. If you had been educated at Clemson, you might have known that.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Unfortunately, there's probably a lot of truth to his

Dec 30, 2013, 11:33 AM

comments. Look at Clowney for example. And I'm not just picking on him. There are countless other football players who, when you get right down to it, have no business enrolled in college.

Re: Football Update: Tommy Bowden on ACC vs SEC

Dec 30, 2013, 11:56 AM

Does anyone know what majors most of the basketball and football players select. Its impressive to be that high on the APR list. Also Clowney would have played at Clemson if he had been selected. What I do find curious is there is a Shrine bowl player that neither Clemson or USC s recruiting because of questionable grades and he is now being recruited by Syracuse, Boston College and Wake Forest. Seems a bit odd.

The SEC once had no requirements.............

Dec 30, 2013, 12:17 PM

This ended in the 1970 up until that point the ACC teams had no chance against SEC teams........... They had no academic requirements or limits on scholarships..... They had a system in place to take these kids and keep them in school. When the NCAA stepped in and put requirements on admission and the number of players the ACC was able to compete..... FSU wasn't ever apart of the ACC during this era therefore they don't have the same view about academics and football that the seven charter members of the ACC.... Maryland is changing their requirements because they feel they need it to compete in the Big10......

Clemson is at a disadvantage when it comes to getting some kids in school.... This is a big issue when it comes to JUCO players..... Look at USC they are going to lose their top Defensive Tackle because he is entering the NFL draft as junior, so they go sign a JUCO DL........ They have very little competition for these kids.... They are also going to lose their top OL who will enter the NFL draft early they will go get a JUCO to offset the loss...... This is a huge advantage..... Clemson would love to go get a big left tackle from the JUCO....... If you don't think it makes a difference just look at Auburn......

Re: The SEC once had no requirements.............

Dec 30, 2013, 2:38 PM

Clemson has at least one JUCO on the baseball team and a signee on the basketball team. Why can't football take JUCO's?

Most baseball players that go to JUCO

Dec 30, 2013, 3:52 PM

don't do so because of grades, and some basketball players go for the same reason to later get a major D1 offer. Football player go to JUCO for grades therefore it is hard to get them in to school.

One thing you might not be aware of is that in order to be eligble you must be able to enter a major that will have you 3/5 of your credits earned towards a degree your junior year. Clemson doesn't have a lot of degrees that JUCO football players can transfer into and be eligble. We can take JUCO they just need the right mix of credits and most are taking a bunch of what some would consider not college level courses. At South Carolina they have a college of general studies which is basically high school classes, Clemson doesn't have anything like that.

Didn't Dabo

Dec 30, 2013, 12:39 PM

just basically address a similar topic when it came to why we are not taking JUCO's? He said it a little more politically correctly that he's working with the administration to get some majors that will accept the JUCO credits....translation...we don't accept basket weaving and coloring by the numbers courses to support a Clemson degree.
Then there's always the issue of accepting partial qualifiers. There is a valid point in TB's quote but I think the decision has been made we want to maintain academic standards which is probably the right choice.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I actually like the sound of that........

Dec 30, 2013, 1:16 PM

SEC on Saturday and Ivy League Monday through Friday. Why not aim for the best.

I NEVER liked.....

Dec 30, 2013, 1:23 PM

this prick and I like him even less after that stupid statement..

Ford or Howard said something very similar

Dec 30, 2013, 1:52 PM

it isn't just a recent thing. But then again, the Big 10 could say the same thing.

Re: Ford or Howard said something very similar

Dec 30, 2013, 2:55 PM

You can do both. I don't see many football players in pre Med or Law school at South Carolina but they also have easier majors just like every other school.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Football Update: Tommy Bowden on ACC vs SEC***

Dec 30, 2013, 3:15 PM

Re: Football Update: Tommy Bowden on ACC vs SEC***

Dec 30, 2013, 3:16 PM

Grammar

Dec 30, 2013, 3:24 PM

"Didn't work out real good!" Last time I checked the proper adverb to use here would be "well," not good. And for those who think that FSU (or Miami) is an academic powerhouse, that's a real joke. Even if CU can't beat SC on the football field we always lead them in the classroom, and I'll take that every time. I prefer the ACC for that reason, and many others.

Re: Grammar

Dec 30, 2013, 4:46 PM

Not many lawyers or doctors graduate from Clemson either!

I've always had great difficulty trying to understand TB.

Dec 31, 2013, 2:36 PM

The way he expresses his opinions has always thrown me for a loop. This article is no exception. Not sure I totally understand where he's going with it, but then again, I couldn't stand to read the whole thing. I remember reading his quoted articles on T-net when he was coach and always had to re-read a few sentences and even paragraphs and infuse great speculation in trying to figure out what he's saying.

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.

The irony is so rich

Dec 31, 2013, 3:16 PM

He wants to make an educated statement about Southeastern education, yet can't compose an argument without broken English. What an embarrassment.

Replies: 51
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic