Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Jabril Robinson draws rave reviews at Shrine Bowl
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 4,358

Front Page Story: Jabril Robinson draws rave reviews at Shrine Bowl

Dec 23, 2013, 11:54 AM

Jabril Robinson draws rave reviews at Shrine Bowl

Clemson defensive line commit Jabril Robinson drew some interesting comparisons this past week at Shrine Bowl practice. Who was he compared to? Why did he choose Clemson? Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Everyone that gets caught up in star ratings need look no further than this kid

Dec 23, 2013, 11:59 AM

Remeber thinking he was criminally underrated watching his stuff. The thing I liked most about this kid watching his stuff is that he seemed like a really smart lineman like a Grady Jarret type. Not just some big athletic freak a coach stuck on the DL to make plays.

So apparently, you like watching his stuff.***

Dec 23, 2013, 12:10 PM

null

Not that there's anything wrong with that***

Dec 23, 2013, 12:14 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Absolutely not -signed '88***

Dec 23, 2013, 12:20 PM

null

It's not perfect

Dec 23, 2013, 12:22 PM [ in reply to Everyone that gets caught up in star ratings need look no further than this kid ]

but star systems give you a general idea of how good a player is or will be.

There are plenty of 2-3 star athletes that develop into very good football players.

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Exactly

Dec 23, 2013, 1:30 PM

you can always point out a 2-star who went on to be an all-american/play in the NFL, and you can always find 5-star guys who were busts, but a way higher percentage of 5-star guys are successful, and the fast majority of 2-star players never make the league.

Re: Everyone that gets caught up in star ratings need look no further than this kid

Dec 23, 2013, 1:08 PM [ in reply to Everyone that gets caught up in star ratings need look no further than this kid ]

that is an interesting comparison because Grady Jarrett was only a high 2/low 3 star recruit, and he played as a true freshman and is now considered the anchor of the d-line. when i was on campus, Ed McDaniel was only a 2/3 star recruit and had a better career than 4/5 star John Johnson. too much can be made of star rankings, i like the fact that a coach will evaluate the talent of the player regardless of the ranking...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

At least 21 months before he plays in his first college game

Dec 23, 2013, 6:05 PM [ in reply to Everyone that gets caught up in star ratings need look no further than this kid ]

is a lil' too early to tell.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't the guru's have at least one more "adjustment" in

Dec 24, 2013, 3:24 PM

in their rankings for the current crop?

Seems as if getting rave reviews in an all-star game like the Shrine Bowl is just the sort of thing that sends the gurus "back to the drawing board" for reassessment.

This kid may end up a 4-star before its over ... and he will then be a much better prospect and have a much more productive career for Clemson, no?

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Where is the link to the reviews?

Dec 23, 2013, 12:31 PM

Would love to read what they think of him.

This guy is impressive. Reminds me of............

Dec 23, 2013, 12:38 PM

Mount Adams.

Re: This guy is impressive. Reminds me of............

Dec 23, 2013, 6:16 PM

except 50 lbs lighter and very raw.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He***

Dec 23, 2013, 1:25 PM

Re: He,

Dec 23, 2013, 1:28 PM

He, HE? :)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jr./Sr. Stats

Dec 23, 2013, 1:28 PM

His junior year stats were much better than his senior year. ? Double teamed I guess.
Go Tigers! Kick em the nnuts.

Re: he....

Dec 23, 2013, 1:30 PM

Finger malfunction. :)

But it is up to our coaches

Dec 23, 2013, 1:41 PM

To find those 2-stars and avoid those 4/5-stars. Which I think they are doing a pretty good job of.

Pay-For-Play Factors In....

Dec 23, 2013, 2:19 PM

To get a guy like Montravious Adams (2013 5 star DT) you have to get Into a bidding war with schools like Auburn who have deeper pockets. These kinds of things aren't talked about because they can't be confirmed, but it happens. I'm okay with lower rated guys like Jarrett who work hard and have a chip on their shoulder, however, it's also great snagging a Dequan Bowers and Sammy Watkins every now and then too.

The more you pay for a player the more difficult...

Dec 24, 2013, 4:21 AM

he is to control. I don't think Clemson buys players. I'm not saying we've never given consideration for a player but that we don't do it now.

The humility and character of our 'kids,' supports this.

Just like Saban used the Tejus thing to get a bigger salary and contract extension, perhaps UT had not contacted Saban, some of the kids may feign offers of compensation from Clemson in order to up the bid from other schools, but I don't believe we buy players.

I resent that anyone would lump Clemson in with schools that operate in that manner.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not bad...

Dec 24, 2013, 11:47 PM

He's got good hands and sheds blocks well. He need to bulk up if he's gonna play DT. While he possesses good speed and lateral movement, his first step needs work. He also needs to play with more leverage.

Replies: 20
| visibility 4,358
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic