Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Danny Ford on Clemson-SC: "The rivalry will turn"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 48
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Danny Ford on Clemson-SC: "The rivalry will turn"

Dec 12, 2013, 10:14 AM

Danny Ford on Clemson-SC: "The rivalry will turn"

Former Clemson head coach Danny Ford spoke at length Wednesday about Clemson's lack of success against South Carolina in recent seasons. What does he say about that lack of success? What are his memories of the rivalry? Does he miss coaching? Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What he meant to say is that......

Dec 12, 2013, 10:19 AM

it will "return to normal."

We will regain our customary domination of them.

Let's try to win one this decade first***

Dec 12, 2013, 10:21 AM

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

God Bless Danny!

Dec 12, 2013, 10:24 AM

nm

No doubt it will turn. Question is when. Maybe

Dec 12, 2013, 10:26 AM

the trigger will be when Spurrier leaves because he certainly has proven to be able out coach us and get his players more motivated. Even though SCar recruiting hasn't been as good, the combination of getting just the right players and coaching seems to spell disaster for our teams lately.

Re: No doubt it will turn. Question is when. Maybe

Dec 12, 2013, 8:23 PM

out coach us...who do you mean by "us"...do you mean our Coaches

no one can win forever, except Carolina

you know, Carolina is in Chapel Hill and in basketball... ;)

Danny always tells it like it is, I appreciate that more than saying what people want to hear.

An Understanding Man ----

Tailgating is such a comfort....you almost forget
you have a game to watch.

best quote....

Dec 12, 2013, 10:35 AM

"..I'm not speaking for their coaches, but if we had won 10 games, but lost to them, we would not have a happy off season, they need to turn it around"

the bowl game provided minimum relief then............now...fans/coaches/players just forget it ever happened.

Danny "gets it".......and he "got it" 30ish years ago.............DABO doesn't "get it"

Re: best quote....

Dec 12, 2013, 12:10 PM

Dabo gets it, and its just plain wrong to accuse him of not getting it. Slurrier is "one" of the best game day coaches in all of college FB. Playing against the Slurrier like coaches is what is going to make Dabo a championship type coach. The hard lessons that Dabo is learning from Slurrier now, are the lessons that will pay off big in Dabo's career. I just hope that Clemson can hold on to him when the BIG schools come after him. I just hope our fan base hasn't filled his heart with painful memories when the big money comes calling. Things you love the most, money can't buy. IMO, Dabo is on his way to being a big time coach. Without any HC or coordinator experience at all. Dabo has taken his plan and has turned Clemson around for the good in just 4 years. And that is usually all the time a well known experience HC gets to turn a program around. Lets not forget that Slurrier was 3 years a head of Dabo in rebuilding usuc before Dabo became HC at Clemson. Expecting Dabo to have over taken a coach of Slurriers experience that had a 3 year head start over him is asinine. But Dabo has caught him, and Dabo will beat him.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So Dabo was and is still doing on-the-job training? Great.***

Oct 13, 2017, 2:03 PM

Re: So Dabo still doing on-the-job training? GREAT!!!

Dec 13, 2013, 1:24 AM

Yes, I think it's awesome.
If you think you know it all, you're actually ignorant.
You had best continue to learn everyday,
or you'll be left behind.
One good recent example, the defensive coach, Kiffen for Dallas.
He's being critized because his defensive schemes are out-dated. He's 70's...guess he hadn't learned it all, yet.
Too easy to be successful, and then rest on that. You must keep learning and seeking improvement. Your high school and college degrees should have taught you that.
Dabo has made improvements to this program every year he's been HC. If you can't see that, you don't want to see it.
Actually, wearing blinders has some similarities to resting on your past success. Blindness is involved with both.
Keep on MOVING FORWARD!
GO TIGERS!!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^^^^ Some things NEVER CHANGE ^^^^^^^

Dec 13, 2013, 8:42 AM [ in reply to So Dabo was and is still doing on-the-job training? Great.*** ]

OJT will not work in your case, some folks just love to complain!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

AllOrangeAllTheTime52 is the one who said it. Berate him.

Dec 13, 2013, 1:30 PM

AllOrangeAllTheTime52 wrote:

Playing against the Slurrier like coaches is what is going to make Dabo a championship type coach. The hard lessons that Dabo is learning from Slurrier now, are the lessons that will pay off big in Dabo's career. I just hope that Clemson can hold on to him when the BIG schools come after him.

Give him heck for pointing out that Dabo is still learning from Spurrier how to become a championship coach.

Dec 12, 2013, 6:21 PM [ in reply to Re: best quote.... ]

There is absolutely no question in my mind that Dabo is "getting it" from "Slurrier". Please keep us all posted as to when the BIG schools and BIG money plan to court him, as inquiring minds want to know? And if Dabo has caught him (as you say), please let us all know just when he's planning on beating him?

Amen, point for ya allorangeallthetime

Dec 13, 2013, 9:50 AM [ in reply to Re: best quote.... ]

Nm

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, best quote was....

Dec 12, 2013, 12:15 PM [ in reply to best quote.... ]

"I wasn't scared of taking the job (as Clemson coach). The only thing I'm scared of is a snake."

LMFAO, Classic Danny Ford.....

Re: No, best quote was....

Dec 12, 2013, 7:48 PM

The only thing Danny Ford feared worse than a snake was losing. To Danny Ford it wasn't about the feelings associated with winning a game that gave him the drive and relentless pursuit of achievement which is the case for most coaches and people as well. Danny Ford simply could not stand ,could not stomach the thought and the feelings and emotions associated with losing. The man was afraid to lose and this fear lead him to become the greatest Coach in Clemson football history..hands down

Dec 12, 2013, 7:50 PM

well he sure had a good record against your coots for sure.

Dec 12, 2013, 7:54 PM

Go to bed ...Chicken neck

Dec 12, 2013, 10:03 PM [ in reply to Re: No, best quote was.... ]

I think most of the best competitors, whether coaches or players, hate losing more than they love winning.

As for the rivalry, it will definitely turn at some point. I think the dayd of what many clemson fans consider "normal" are over, though. Clemson was always dedicated to having a winning program. We simply were not. McGee started changing it with coaching hires, hyman started making real money, and now our administration from president pastides on down is sold on athletics. Setting tanner up for a great chance of hiring good coaches and staying in the facilities arms race. I think in the forseeable future "normal" is going to be a rivalry that goes back and forth a lot and has big implications in a lot of years.

Dec 13, 2013, 1:36 AM

Your success is tied to Slurrier. When he goes, your program will be in the toilet again, #### lover.

Dec 13, 2013, 6:58 PM

No. Spurrier has done very well for us and made the job more attractive. We have a competitive AD and lots of money. No reason we can't stay competitive. Y'all are hoping its just spurrier but its no coincidence our best years in football and baseball have coincided and we went and got a proven basketball coach. Our school has decided athletics matter and that's really the biggest ingredient for the product you put out.

Dec 12, 2013, 12:23 PM [ in reply to best quote.... ]

That is called discriminate reading, from what I read he sounded like he was all in.

The reason this country has a future.

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO

That's just dumb. Because of Spurrier and the coots success

Dec 12, 2013, 1:03 PM [ in reply to best quote.... ]

, it's tougher losing to them than it's ever been, and I think I speak for almost all the fans, coaches, and players.

How can anyone forget it ever happened? What evidence do you have that people forget more easily than in the past?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Danny seldom faced a really good SCAR team ... and when he

Dec 12, 2013, 10:03 PM

and when he did, he generally lost to them. During Danny's tenure, these are the SCAR teams he faced and how he fared:

Year / SCAR record / result
1979 Scar 8-4 ... we lost
1980 Scar 8-4 ... we won
1981 Scar 6-6 ... we won
1982 Scar 4-7 ... we won
1983 Scar 5-6 ... we won
1984 Scar 10-2 .. we lost
1985 Scar 5-6 ... we won
1986 Scar 3-6-2 . we won
1987 Scar 8-4 ... we lost
1988 Scar 8-4 ... we won
1989 Scar 6-4-1 . we won

The SC teams he beat averaged only 5.6 wins per year. Ouch!***

Dec 12, 2013, 10:14 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Danny seldom faced a really good SCAR team ... and when he

Dec 12, 2013, 10:33 PM [ in reply to Danny seldom faced a really good SCAR team ... and when he ]

This really defines the whole series actually. The Coots' record against Clemson - when we were a good team - is actually very good. The problem is that there has been to many years where we just sucked.

South Carolina baseball since 1975: 31 NCAA Tournament appearances including a streak of 14 straight / 12 Super Regional appearances/ 11 College World Series berths / 5 National Championship game appearances / National Champions in 2010 and 2011. The Gamecocks hold 3 NCAA records for postseason success: The most consecutive NCAA tournament wins (22) / The most consecutive wins in the College World Series (12) / The most consecutive home NCAA tournament wins (29).
Since 1992 The Gamecocks have competed in the SEC and have 4 SEC titles / 1 SEC tournament title / 7 SECE titles.

Seems like we tied them once in DV under Danny's tenure

Dec 13, 2013, 9:58 AM [ in reply to Danny seldom faced a really good SCAR team ... and when he ]

Each team tried a field goal to win the game but both failed

Message was edited by: greatertater®

Re: Seems like we tied them once in DV under Danny's tenure

Dec 13, 2013, 12:46 PM

Correct ... the tie was in 1986 against their 3-6-2 team ... :(

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Danny is EXACTLY RIGHT***

Dec 12, 2013, 7:35 PM [ in reply to best quote.... ]

nm

Re: best OTHER quote

Dec 12, 2013, 7:53 PM [ in reply to best quote.... ]

Best other quote ......Danny "gets it "...Danny"got it" 30ish years ago.... DABO doesn't "get it "

Coach Ford is old school, he calls the coots chickens***

Dec 12, 2013, 11:38 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

well that is what they are aren't they***

Dec 12, 2013, 11:56 AM

Re: Coach Ford is old school, he calls the coots chickens***

Dec 12, 2013, 7:53 PM [ in reply to Coach Ford is old school, he calls the coots chickens*** ]

he also said on video that he pulling for south Carolina to win the capital one bowl

The reason he calls them chickens is because they are

Dec 12, 2013, 9:10 PM [ in reply to Coach Ford is old school, he calls the coots chickens*** ]

chickens anyway you pluck them.

FIRE DANNY***

Dec 12, 2013, 12:01 PM

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

... when Dabo is gone***

Dec 12, 2013, 12:28 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"You only get one day a year..."***

Dec 12, 2013, 12:50 PM

Re: Front Page Story: Danny Ford on Clemson-SC: "The rivalry will turn"

Dec 12, 2013, 12:56 PM

A.K.A. Dirt Peckers, Rednecks, WhiteTrash, COOTS, Peckerlips, #### lovers and so on and so forth! :)

Apparently easier to get 3 10-win ACC seasons than 1 SC win***

Dec 12, 2013, 1:13 PM

Re: Apparently easier to get 3 10-win ACC seasons than 1 SC win***

Dec 12, 2013, 1:36 PM

Don't know about easier but definitely more important.

The reason this country has a future.

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO

Razz's tombstone will be engraved "But I was right..."***

Dec 13, 2013, 6:23 AM

null

Message was edited by: SOLOS®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

SOLO's will be engraved "I had no counterpoints just insults***

Dec 13, 2013, 1:24 PM

Dec 12, 2013, 3:13 PM

I got to kinda know Danny Ford some years ago and He is excellent people. I figure he is Clemson's greatest coach and not because of the 1981 National Championship alone. He was good at all the other things head coaches must be concerned with, recruiting, head coaches and many other things. I reminded Him once that there are only a few in any generation that can organize and keep a complete package like that going. That at the time he was one of four that could and he had beaten the other Three! The thing about Danny Ford and his was that when the Tigers lost, you never felt like they had been out coached as well as out played. GO TIGERS!

Dec 13, 2013, 12:50 AM

> I got to kinda know Danny Ford some years ago and He
> is excellent people. I figure he is Clemson's
> greatest coach and not because of the 1981 National
> Championship alone. He was good at all the other
> things head coaches must be concerned with,
> recruiting, head coaches and many other things. I
> reminded Him once that there are only a few in any
> generation that can organize and keep a complete
> package like that going. That at the time he was one
> of four that could and he had beaten the other Three!
> The thing about Danny Ford and his was that when the
> e Tigers lost, you never felt like they had been out
> coached as well as out played. GO TIGERS!

+1

Danny gets it. Dabo doesn't.***

Dec 12, 2013, 9:45 PM

Yep***

Dec 13, 2013, 6:12 AM

"The rivalry will turn." Precisely what I have believed all

Dec 13, 2013, 6:09 AM

along, and why I'm not groveling in the dirt in throes of deep depression over our losses to the Chickens.

I don't like it...in fact, I despise losing to them or anyone else for that matter.

I think Coach Spurrier said it best, "For some reason when they play us, they don't play very well." That spoke volumes for me, as I believe he was as surprised as the rest of us this year with our level of play.

As posted prior to the game, I believe it's been a psychological problem, kind of like the person who's been beaten in several fistfights. He enters the next with the priors on his mind, and that makes him too cautious, playing not to lose rather than playing to win. I think our staff and team leaders have failed to address this decisively, and hence, the losses.

Does Dabo and Co. get it? Of course. They just haven't yet figured out how to translate the "get it" into a "got it." They need to hurry before another loss riles up more irate fans than the administration cares to handle.

Replies: 48
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic