Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: We Want...Bama?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 81
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: We Want...Bama?

Dec 7, 2013, 9:20 AM

We Want...Bama?

Teams across the country have been clamoring for the chance to take on the Alabama Crimson Tide in the post-season, and Clemson might just be the team to get that chance. That chance includes a lot of storylines. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If we'd gone to the Big 12 we wouldn't have this issue.***

Dec 7, 2013, 9:25 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If we'd gone to the Big 12 we wouldn't have this issue.***

Dec 7, 2013, 9:46 AM

Was that ever a serious consideration, other than on message boards?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 7, 2013, 11:59 AM [ in reply to If we'd gone to the Big 12 we wouldn't have this issue.*** ]

We were not invited to the Big 12.
Try again!

Dec 7, 2013, 1:22 PM [ in reply to If we'd gone to the Big 12 we wouldn't have this issue.*** ]

What? Are you serious? Clemson fans getting soft - scared of Bama? What would coach ford say?

are you still on strike for a pay raise at Micky D's***

Dec 7, 2013, 7:40 PM

Believe me, we DO NOT want Bama.

Dec 7, 2013, 9:43 AM

No way, no how. Completely different animal from LSU in the Peach Bowl last year. Tajh can't handle pressure, he gets tight! Saban and Smart will dial up SO MUCH pressure against us from the opening whistle on. We couldn't get the coots off the field, do you think we'll get McCarron, Yeldon, et al off of the field?

An elite pressure defense against that weak OL that we have. Sure, they played better against USuC, but this is a Bama defense that will just eat us alive. Saban will not lose two in a row. Auburn got lucky/fluky in order to beat them. We'll not only get beat, but get beat in an embarrassing fashion. They probably won't score 70 the way West Virginia did because Saban is not one to run the score up, but it would be something like 49-7.

What makes anyone think we could stay within four touchdowns of an elite Bama team?

As I said, this is not a 2012 LSU team, this is 2013 Alabama team, a very good, if not great team. As evidenced by our play against FSU and USuC, we don't play well in big games. 6 turnovers? More like 10 against Bama. By halftime! I can hear Dabo now, "Well, except for those 10 turnovers, we played pretty well."

Vegas' line would be only 8-12, so the 4 touchdown thing

Dec 7, 2013, 9:49 AM

is silly.

Still, would be very tough but fun.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Believe me, we DO NOT want Bama.

Dec 7, 2013, 9:51 AM [ in reply to Believe me, we DO NOT want Bama. ]

I agree with you. Unless we are simply after the $$$ and don't care about our reputation as a relevant football team, we should not want to put our team in that position. Some argue that we need to play the big boys to improve and I agree with that but let's take the stairs and not try to catapult to the top.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In other words...

Dec 7, 2013, 9:58 AM

You are saying that our ranking throughout the year was a total fraud, and we aren't really competitive at that level EVEN IF we are able to play without all the turnovers and dumb mistakes? You speak of our program being "relevant"... how can we prove our relevance if we can't at least be competitive in games against top quality competition??

We need this kind of challenge. This is the kind of opportunity a program needs to make the move to the next level. We ain't gonna prove that by beating up on Syracuse and UVA.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: In other words...

Dec 7, 2013, 10:04 AM

We didn't give FSU (possibly the soon to be NC) a game at all this year and we fell apart in the game against scar. I'm just not convinced that we wouldn't shoot ourselves in the foot with a complete blowout from bama (the soon to be the former 2x NC).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's why you play the game.***

Dec 7, 2013, 10:08 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been as critical and skeptical...

Dec 7, 2013, 10:14 AM [ in reply to Re: In other words... ]

as anyone here regarding the failures in the FSU and coot games. But I'm not going to give up on this team or this program. If we play to our potential, we can win. You reach potential through effective practice and competent gameday coaching. If this coaching staff is incapable of doing those things, then they should be replaced now... not later.

I think this staff is capable of accomplishing that goal. But they are going to have to put in the work. We have three weeks. Get it done! Earn your pay.

I agree. The team learns nothing by beating up on scrubs.

Dec 7, 2013, 10:25 AM

We have nothing to lose by playing BAMA. Everyone will expect a blowout. If it happens, then add it to the misery of the other two games this year. It can't hurt any more this season that is already has. If we keep it close....or somehow find a way to win, it would be HUGE for our program. This is what the bowl games are about. Would these fans rather play a Northern Illinois.....Fresno......UCF......? Nothing sexy about that to me. I want to play with the big boys.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson Football, the glory days are here!

Xactly!***

Dec 7, 2013, 10:30 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree In playing top competition but this game is not

Dec 7, 2013, 3:01 PM [ in reply to In other words... ]

A good matchup for us. The alternative of A&m would have been difficult as well. Couldn't get shaw on the ground or off the field and manziel would have picked up too many yards with his feet. I do think we could beat a lot of the teams in the top ten. Certain teams just pose matchup problems that will be very difficult to overcome

No way we turn down the opportunity in case

Dec 7, 2013, 3:03 PM

That didn't come across in my prev post

Dec 7, 2013, 10:09 AM [ in reply to Re: Believe me, we DO NOT want Bama. ]

Are you kidding me. We can not turn down any opportunity to play a great team. Come on, no way we can run scared. Some people on this board amaze me.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 7, 2013, 1:12 PM

The type that would run from this opportunity will be the first ones eaten when the Zombie Apocalypse happens.......

Dec 7, 2013, 9:52 AM [ in reply to Believe me, we DO NOT want Bama. ]

In order to get national respect we have to play the best and beat the best. Clemson nor it's fans should be afraid to play anyone, anytime, anywhere. Bring on the tide.

Clemson teams during the Ford era...

Dec 7, 2013, 10:01 AM

Would hit people in the mouth, we didn't get blown out much if at all. Those boys were mean as snakes. We don't carry ourselves that way anymore.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 7, 2013, 10:10 AM [ in reply to Re: Believe me, we DO NOT want Bama. ]

Amen!

If ESPiN doesn't derail it, bring'em on. Win or lose, it's

Dec 7, 2013, 9:59 AM [ in reply to Believe me, we DO NOT want Bama. ]

what we need as a program. Bama's D this year is not as good as LSU's last year. McCarron can't scramble like Shaw and we have a fairly stout D against the rush. Bama's front 4 need blitzes to get pressure and that would probably be their game plan, but that creates opportunities if we execute. We definitely have an advantage with Catman. Bama would clearly be favored but if you want to see the program advance, you can't be 'scared' to play anyone, anytime, anywhere. Besides, Bama probably doesn't want to be there. Right?

100% Agree

Dec 7, 2013, 10:07 AM

If you look at BV's defensive scheme it works great against a more traditional style offense without a mobile QB. You look at how the majority of the SEC runs their offense's and they run a traditional power run game. UGA likes to pound it in there with "Gurshall". LSU did it last year with the trio they had. Look at how those ended. I'm not saying that the same outcome would happen, but food for thought. I do think that Bama would get pressure with 4 whenever they wanted. IMO

Not 4, but 5 and they would be doing it all night. Morris

Dec 7, 2013, 10:13 AM

needs to earn his money with a screen game and some delayed releases to the 'protectors'.... and by all means, keep pounding it when they're not stopping the run and do it with tempo. AU-Burn did.

Re: Not 4, but 5 and they would be doing it all night. Morris

Dec 7, 2013, 11:37 AM

Maybe some quick slant behind the blitzes wouldnt be a bad idea either.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yea, the short passing game over the middle has been nil.***

Dec 7, 2013, 11:38 AM

Re: 100% Agree

Dec 7, 2013, 7:58 PM [ in reply to 100% Agree ]

Where is everyone getting that Bama will put pressure on the QB they are 77 in sacks this year. They only have 21 as a team. H3ll Vic Beasley has over half that many on his own. Bama's Defense is soft this year. Our offensive line will be OK with them.

LOL, why would they "try" to derail it.?***

Dec 7, 2013, 10:41 AM [ in reply to If ESPiN doesn't derail it, bring'em on. Win or lose, it's ]

National embarassment is NOT something that is needed*****

Dec 7, 2013, 10:47 AM [ in reply to If ESPiN doesn't derail it, bring'em on. Win or lose, it's ]

Those who do not want the chance are simply COWARDS!***

Dec 7, 2013, 11:09 AM [ in reply to If ESPiN doesn't derail it, bring'em on. Win or lose, it's ]

Re: Those who do not want the chance are simply COWARDS!***

Dec 7, 2013, 3:01 PM

I like the opportunity. I do think there's a chance to win that game. The chances of getting beat like a drum are possibly slightly higher. But whatever, it's better than playing a ucf

So Scar is better than Bama?***

Dec 7, 2013, 11:19 AM [ in reply to If ESPiN doesn't derail it, bring'em on. Win or lose, it's ]

There's something in these hills.

Yes, and Tennessee is better than USuC. Obviously.***

Dec 7, 2013, 3:03 PM

Completely agree; however, it is our only shot at

Dec 7, 2013, 10:01 AM [ in reply to Believe me, we DO NOT want Bama. ]

redemption for another 10-2 season and loses to FSU and SCAR again. The LSU win turned into a pleasant surprise, maybe this one will too. If not, at least we had the opportunity and not another boring trip to Atlanta.

Re: Completely agree; however, it is our only shot at

Dec 7, 2013, 10:10 AM

Even with a loss, I think it would help recruiting out a bit. These highly touted recruits would see that Clemson is on the edge and consistently playing in the big match-ups in the post season. They may want to be the ones to help the program to take the next step.

Re: Completely agree; however, it is our only shot at

Dec 8, 2013, 7:22 PM

Its the blowout embarrassing losses that keep us from taking the next step. If you cant at least act like you belong then you don't. Recruits see that. I'm die hard but believe Bama would destroy this team. That doesn't sit well with anyone for the offseason. COULD we win? probably. But a beat down is more likely.

Dec 7, 2013, 11:14 AM [ in reply to Believe me, we DO NOT want Bama. ]

EXACTLY!!! WE are a pretty team playing who we play. Dabo and staff are doing a pretty good job BUILDING a team that can compete with a Bama like team. But rest assure we are NOT there yet. I'm sure Bama don't won't to be in the Orange bowl with us. But they will come, and they won't lay down. AuBuM may have won their game with Bama in over time, but the way they won it was an absolute fluke.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Alabama

Dec 7, 2013, 3:22 PM

I believe this is exactly the kind of game CU needs.
One of those that can get you back creditability.
Now, am I saying we'd win...maybe, maybe not. But for
a team the entered the season inside the top 10 that was
plastered by Fla state, and beat by SC. A bowl game (
possible win/BCS) gets your right back to where you need
to be. As far as playing Bama. If we can limit their
big plays, get a few stops...who knows. But yeah, its
exactly what CLEMSON needs.

You you imagine Tajh going out 11-2 again, with a win
over the TIDE?

Dec 8, 2013, 11:15 PM [ in reply to Re: Believe me, we DO NOT want Bama. ]

We don't want to be there either. Two perfect and complete game from playing else where as well.

Message was edited by: oldschtiger70®

You sound like a chicken

Dec 7, 2013, 11:37 AM [ in reply to Believe me, we DO NOT want Bama. ]

We should just go ahead and close up for the season according to you. I personally want to play the best to see where we stand. Play the best to be the best.

That's all I've been saying. +1.***

Dec 7, 2013, 11:39 AM

Re: Riduculous and embarrassing post

Dec 7, 2013, 11:49 AM [ in reply to Believe me, we DO NOT want Bama. ]

If you are scared to play anyone, then stop the program. Based on your handle, I assume you are about my age. We've only seen about 4 to 5 years since 1970 that are as good as we have strung together the last 3. Losing to USC hurts, but this is the absolute best years they have ever seen - we'll come back.

But to say lets not play someone because they might beat us is just embarrasing.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 7, 2013, 12:09 PM [ in reply to Believe me, we DO NOT want Bama. ]

Go home. Change your panties and tampons. And come back when you get some resemblance of a manhood.

A ship in port is perfectly safe, but that's not what

Dec 7, 2013, 12:50 PM [ in reply to Believe me, we DO NOT want Bama. ]

ships are for.

Dec 7, 2013, 1:34 PM [ in reply to Believe me, we DO NOT want Bama. ]

preach on brother! bring on the belk bowl. Let the clemson kittens play rutgers!

Dec 7, 2013, 5:23 PM

Enjoy your time at the Tostitos Bowl coot. Have some nachos for me.

What a pathetic post for a supposed Tiger fan.

Dec 7, 2013, 4:25 PM [ in reply to Believe me, we DO NOT want Bama. ]

That kind of pu$$y attitude will get you really far in life.

I'm talking to gotigers72

Dec 7, 2013, 4:28 PM

I'm

Dec 7, 2013, 11:33 PM [ in reply to Believe me, we DO NOT want Bama. ]

Bama will embarrass Tigers on national t v ; hope everyone is wrong ; maybe we could play Duke

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Regarding we don't want Bama

Dec 7, 2013, 10:13 AM

So are yah sayn we should turn the bid down? :)

We're not on the same level as Alabama. Think the FSU and

Dec 7, 2013, 10:18 AM

coot games make that pretty evident.

Well, if nothing else, chalk it up to gaining experience.***

Dec 7, 2013, 10:21 AM

Anyone saying thet we are is smokin crack

Dec 7, 2013, 10:31 AM [ in reply to We're not on the same level as Alabama. Think the FSU and ]

What we are saying is that our 'A' game could hang with their 'B/C' game. Maybe we catch them thinking about the "what if's" of this year. Ten years from now, noone will care about WHY they lost ( if we were to somehow beat them).

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson Football, the glory days are here!

Re: We're not on the same level as Alabama. Think the FSU and

Dec 7, 2013, 11:50 AM [ in reply to We're not on the same level as Alabama. Think the FSU and ]

Not so fast my friend! We turn away no challenges.

Re: Front Page Story: We Want...Bama?

Dec 7, 2013, 10:24 AM

WHY WOULD WE WANT TO BE EMARRASSED ONCE AGAIN THIS YEAR???

Anything's better than a fluff ACC opponent***

Dec 7, 2013, 10:28 AM

Re: Front Page Story: We Want...Bama?***

Dec 7, 2013, 10:34 AM

Some of y'all need to go clean your panties up***

Dec 7, 2013, 10:34 AM

Dec 7, 2013, 10:38 AM

I agree that no one recently saw this match-up coming, but I believe an analyst at CBS picked Clemson-Alabama as the National Championship game.

I don't have much hope that we would beat a "humbled" Alabama, it would give me nightmares for weeks. I think a blow-out by Alabama would hurt Clemson recruitment.

But, if you are trying to build a program and you blew two opportunities already this year and still want to show you belong top tier, playing Alabama and winning, or even making a good game of it would be a character builder!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

CUTBA-MD

Dec 7, 2013, 10:41 AM

Anybody who thinks we wouldn't have a chance hasn't watched Bama this year***

Dec 7, 2013, 10:52 AM

So what!

Dec 7, 2013, 11:12 AM

For those of you who after a two loss season scream "We can't hang with the big boys!" or ""Who want's to get embarrassed on national television again!" or "Tahj can't handle pressure or the big stage" ect...please go fix your make-up or warm up your bottles. I hate the sound of you quitters. If this team plays Bama and finds a way to win please don't bring your fair weather arses back to cheer for this team if they find a way to win. This program does not need fans like you! Period!

Dec 7, 2013, 11:27 AM

Yes, there was more to that than internet message board gossip. FSU & Clemson both together reached out to them. There were discussions. How serious they got, or whether the two were using that as leverage on the ACC to become more proactive rather than reactive is up for debate. FSU LOST money last season winning the ACC and going to the Orange Bowl, and I've seen articles this season saying they are very likely looking at a loss this season as well. With all the money being made in college football, it's gotta be upsetting and frustrating for FSU. The SEC had/has no interest in them nor Clemson and that really leaves both schools hamstrung. I think those discussions with the Big 12 are what led to all the ACC schools signing that deal, can't recall what they named it, where the exit fee was upped to $50 mil, and it also says any school that does leave would also have to forfeit their money from their new conf's tv deal, for the first two years. I may be wrong on the two years part, not sure. Either way, now it look like we're stuck in the big boy basketball conf. Which, personally, I have no interest in Clemson ever joining the SEC.

Dec 7, 2013, 11:36 AM

Why not? No one expects us to win...this should take pressure off Tajh and company to play loose and take what their D gives us. As for their offense, we match up much better than with SC...mobile QB's seem to give us fits!

Far as Bama goes

Dec 7, 2013, 11:44 AM

Anyone who says we shouldn't want to play Bama, I understand where you're coming from. However, this is the type of game we need to end this season. So far this season we've been exposed as frauds. As a team that doesn't know how to show up, much less win the big game. Our coach boastfully told the country following the lsu win that this was a national title contending team this season. So far that statement has not even been close to being true. When you're coach tells you something like that, then that's the goal. No one is going to count the Ga game as a big win after the season they had, even if we all know that Ga team we played was a much better team than what they
ended up with. Full strength, they're Top 15 minimum, but no one but us remembers that. We're going to be judged on the FSU & SC games PERIOD. And this one coming up. This is it. How do you wanna be remembered? Win this one, no other outcome of acceptable. Our coach needs to save face and show he wasn't just blowing some with that pronouncement. This is Tajh's last shot
at cementing his legacy. Are they not tired of being the whipping boys for every college football analyst out there? Win this game, not just keep it close, are some of you kidding? Keep it close? That's a loss. We always claim we wanna play big boy football, well this is it. Show up or go home. Win. No other result is acceptable. PERIOD

Dec 7, 2013, 11:54 AM

Bring em on!***

Dec 7, 2013, 12:06 PM

We want BAMA!

Dec 7, 2013, 12:08 PM

You gotta know the players would bring their A+++++++++ game and be as hyped as can be to take their swing at the boys in Crimson. No real athlete would say, "No I dont wanna play the Best"

Re: We want BAMA!

Dec 7, 2013, 12:19 PM

Pi$$ in Sabah's shoe. See how he likes it, then while he's changing socks, scorer twice on him.

Really????

Dec 7, 2013, 12:33 PM

We can play with ANYONE in the country if we play a clean game. This is basically the same group that DEFEATED LSU & UGA in the past twelve months. To say we are not at a "certain level" is ridiculous. We can't beat anyone with multiple turnovers and stupid mistakes but that's football. We should relish the opportunity! Its what true athletes and competitors dream of.

I haven't this sure we were about to get blown out since....

Dec 7, 2013, 1:21 PM

Miami in 04. I was sure we were going to be killed then, and I am sure now.

I want Bama. Good test of our progress since '08 spanking.

Dec 7, 2013, 1:32 PM

It lets us know how far we've come and where we stand. Are we a good team that can hang with the upper echelon or posers who romped through a very weak ACC schedule? Is Clemson the team that beat UGA or the team that got embarrassed by FSU & SCar? Only one way to find out.

If you want to be the man, you gotta beat the man.

Um. We haven't even been invited to the Orange Bowl.

Dec 7, 2013, 1:33 PM

Neither has Alabama.

This thread is full of BITC*ES

Dec 7, 2013, 1:49 PM

WE WANT BAMA! Our program wants Bama and we have to play the best to be the best. Bama isn't as dominant as most people think. Hell, Auburn even isn't. This is a down year for Bama and I've been saying this from the onset. They should have gone down even earlier in the season but hung on. Our D is equipped to stop Bama. Mccarron is no running QB and we held the top rusher from the SEC to 15 rushes for 22 yards. I'd say our D is ready. Plus, the way our OL played against USuC is proof we can hang. It's all up to the coaching staff and Chad to game plan around their D. We have the talent to beat them as long as we play well and very well can. Stop being a bunch of puss*es and spot the ball already. Oh yeah, and Go Tigers!

Re: This thread is full of BITC*ES

Dec 7, 2013, 5:25 PM

I'm in! Stop the screen silliness and go deep.Pop'em in the mouth!

Great opportunity...

Dec 7, 2013, 6:08 PM

But for Gods sake, if Tahj (which I respect and appreciate) isn't getting it done and starts that deer in the headlights crap, PUT SOMEONE ELSE IN!! I'm tired of the staff resting it solely on his shoulders no matter how many interceptions he's thrown or how bad he's playing.

To all you naysayers and wanna be Tiger Fans!!

Dec 7, 2013, 6:25 PM

EFF OFF!!!

As a DIE HARD C.L.E.M.S.O.N
Fan......I say BRING IT Bama!!!!

We want respect? We want the recruits like McMillan, Featherstone, Thompson, Williams, etc? We WANT this game!!!!!

GO TIGERS!!!!!!

Boring ?

Dec 7, 2013, 6:42 PM

Not really that boring last year from where I sat. Not sure what game you were watching.

Re: Boring ?

Dec 7, 2013, 7:53 PM

This board needs an enama!

I'd put our Tigers against anybody, including FSU again.

Dec 7, 2013, 8:01 PM

Re: I'd put our Tigers against anybody, including FSU again.

Dec 8, 2013, 10:53 PM

in order to be the best, you have to play the best. Just like Ga. & Fla. this year. We had cruical injuries at some important and much needed depth positions. Dye looked to be a major power back during the fall and would have added a physical and much needed power aspect to our run game. With rotation of Hot Rod and Dye, who knows how big of impact it would have added to our offense. Without an injury to Peake, our go to 3rd receiver would have increased our offense's confident level and made us a bigger threat on offense. Our secondary play and confident level would have fed of the lockdown playing ability of Alexander. Who definitely would have gave us a better dimensional return game on kickoff and punt returns. Injuries tends to take away from a teams overall outlook, sometimes. Especially when you are recruiting for immediate depth.

Replies: 81
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic