Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football Recruiting Update: ESPN discusses whether Watson can start from Day 1
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 37
| visibility 1

Football Recruiting Update: ESPN discusses whether Watson can start from Day 1

Dec 6, 2013, 8:35 AM

ESPN discusses whether Watson can start from Day 1

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Football Recruiting Update: ESPN discusses whether Watson can start from Day 1

Dec 6, 2013, 8:38 AM

we when ESPN starts deciding who plays I guess I'll care. Till then not so much.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think Stoudt starts next year. From what

Dec 6, 2013, 8:40 AM

I've seen of he and Kelly in limited action, it's not even close between the two.

Kelly is obviously the more talented QB but Stoudt has a much better grasp of the system and plays with more poise IMO.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hope we can redshirt him 1 year (like Winston).***

Dec 6, 2013, 8:44 AM

Re: I think Stoudt starts next year. From what

Dec 6, 2013, 8:54 AM [ in reply to I think Stoudt starts next year. From what ]

I think the odds are in favor of Stoudt. However the key to the spread is a QB that can really run. When he can run and pass it opens the whole thing up. Without a dominant line and RB we have to have a serious threat to run for it to work well especially with Sammy gone. That gives an advantage to the young guys.

Not completely true

Dec 6, 2013, 9:58 AM

I think heading into Spring ball and early fall Stoudt will will have the upper hand on Kelly and Watson. I see Watson heading for a RS as Clemson has two VERY capable QBs in Stoudt and Kelly. Though you are correct that to run an effective spread you do need a mobile QB, the QB doesn't have to extremely mobile. Stoudt is a decent runner and lately he has been a surgeon at QB. The pistol is designed to help you out when you don't have a strong line. We also will have T. Dye and Gallman, which Morris has said that both could have started this past year and both are big violent backs. Don't forget about the WRs we will have coming back and coming in. To say that is why we will need a good runner at QB b/c we have no other talent around him is inaccurate.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Stoudt, Kelly, Watson

Dec 6, 2013, 10:57 AM

Cole Stoudt is a very capable QB with a ton of experience in the system. He has played well in every instance that he's been given the opportunity. The job is his to lose.

Chad Kelly is a very talented and determined athlete who has also been in the system for a while, but is coming back from a serious injury during which he lost valuable time. Some people say he has the "IT" factor ... (whatever that is). The job is his to win.

Deshaun Watson is arguably the #1 QB coming out of high school this year and although he'll be a true freshman, he'll have a chance to get acclimated to the system through early enrollment. By the time fall practice rolls around, he won't be a true freshman anymore. He expects to be given a chance to compete, and compete he will.

For the sake of Clemson football, the best thing that could possibly happen is that all the QB candidates are as good as we think they are, but that Watson is just so good we cannot keep him on the bench.

If that happens (Watson beats out Stoudt and Kelly) then Watson is very, very good indeed, and Clemson football is poised to make another large step forward the next three years.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

IF...

Dec 7, 2013, 9:39 AM

Cole is our starting QB in 2014-IMO.

Better change our offense drastically. The zone read will be useless..

Re: Not completely true

Dec 6, 2013, 1:19 PM [ in reply to Not completely true ]

I think if you look at the spread options that work best they have a QB that can really run such as Auburn, Oregon, and Baylor with RGIII When u have a QB that can really pass and run its deadly. I think the good news is that it sounds like we have three excellent options which is critical these days. It should be fun to watch!

Couldn't agree more. Stoudt has shown that he knows the

Dec 6, 2013, 12:17 PM [ in reply to I think Stoudt starts next year. From what ]

offense inside and out. He's got a better arm than people give him credit for and he's mobile enough to still keep defenses honest with the QB read option. I think he'll start next year.

Watson

Dec 7, 2013, 9:34 AM [ in reply to I think Stoudt starts next year. From what ]

I agree, to a point...
Stoudt MAY get the early nod, but may not be the best option here. Me, I like Cole coming off the bench as a valuable backup.
Granted, he hasn't play college ball. But I like Watson getting the starting job. Especially if the 3 are equal coming out of the spring.
Ok..
Heres the problem...Tajh knows the play book better than any of our QBs. But not even he was efficient at everything. Find what Watson if comfortable with, and watch him GO!
But sure, you can't over look Kelly.

"MY" depth chart-2014
Watson/Kelly/ Stoudt

:)

Comparing first college action and raw skills, I think Kelly

Dec 7, 2013, 2:03 PM [ in reply to I think Stoudt starts next year. From what ]

is a better QB. Stoudt is not nearly the runner Kelly is, and he never will be. Great kid, nice arm, but not the overall package that Kelly brings.

Zone reads and QB runs are a big part of Morris' intended system, and Kelly is far superior in running skills. That was evident even with his knee brace, plus Kelly has a stronger arm. Those things will be important when we're talking about starting and not just mop up duty. By his 2nd year, I think he will be the starter based on his overall skill set. I think Watson will redshirt, and Kelly will win the position.

Watson starts

Dec 6, 2013, 9:57 AM

With Stoudt having pore poise in the pocket, he remains a great backup, but for our offense to truly click in all aspects, we have to have a QB that can really scramble and run. Though Tahj is considered dual threat, he doesn't possess the pocket presence and ability to scramble and make throws like this offense needs. That's why Kelly and Watson gets the nod. With a spring offseason to prepare, I'll give the nod to Watson. Like they predict, he is that good, and Kelly is the only one he will be competing with.

Agree

Dec 7, 2013, 9:37 AM

if our coaches can get past their loyalty to Stoudt.

then DeShaun Watson "IS" the best option,with Chad as BU.

What are you talking about "loyalty to Stoudt"?

Dec 7, 2013, 2:54 PM

And what makes you so sure of "IS"?

Hope he redshirts. Our offense is rather

Dec 6, 2013, 10:02 AM

detailed and the QB really has to know the reads...he could use a year to get those down. Unless he's just light-years ahead of the others...which I doubt he is.

Re: Hope he redshirts. Our offense is rather

Dec 6, 2013, 10:42 AM

no way Watson starts. he needs to get bigger and stronger and learn the system. he does not weigh but about 180 at most.

200, but I agree about the RS.***

Dec 6, 2013, 10:51 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He'd get broken in half without a RS***

Dec 7, 2013, 2:50 PM [ in reply to Re: Hope he redshirts. Our offense is rather ]

Redshirt. He needs to fully understand our system first.

Dec 6, 2013, 11:12 AM [ in reply to Hope he redshirts. Our offense is rather ]

This is not high school.

Watson should be able to start. We only run 4 plays.

Dec 6, 2013, 11:10 AM

A) Cole Stoudt in mop up duty. So did Will Proctor. I'll hold judgment till he sees live first quarter bullets.

B) Any young QB worth a #### ought to be able to start at Clemson. We only run about 4 plays. Sure we have different variations of those plays, but Tahj made how many different throws last year? 5? Flats, deep in, wheel, go, deep post...slant. Sorry. My bad. 6. Six different throws. No out or deep out. No corner throws. No crossing patterns or curls. Basically 2/3 of any passing offense. Could throw a seem pass to save his life this year (although AHump was open 80% of the time this year.) Almost no double moves - out-n-up, slant-n-go. No short or deep dig routes.

C) Chad Kelly was on track to beat Stoudt before his injury in the Spring. My bet is he does it again. Kelly has what you can't teach.

Re: Watson should be able to start. We only run 4 plays.

Dec 6, 2013, 11:15 AM

When you say he has what you cant teach, are you referring to his qb awareness, or his ability to rap mad beats?

LOL. Ridiculous

Dec 6, 2013, 11:12 AM

There's not a chance in hell Watson starts over Kelly and Stoudt. I don't care how good everybody says he is. ANybody who thinks he will be the starter against UGA next year is out of their mind

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well then I guess most everyone is out of their mind

Dec 6, 2013, 11:50 AM

He has been running our same offence at Gainesville for 4 years... Won a State title and on his way to another one... Yea Chad Kelly and Cole Stoudt are GOOD quarterbacks but here at Clemson we need a GREAT quarterback and Deshaun Watson is a GREAT quarterback.

Most everyone? I think you're in the small minority.***

Dec 6, 2013, 1:51 PM

RG3, Teddy Bridgewater, ...etc (Not unprecedented)

Dec 6, 2013, 2:15 PM [ in reply to LOL. Ridiculous ]

It would be ideal for Watson to get a redshirt year under his belt, but I'm not ready to say that "it won't happen".

Watson enrolls in January, and will have a steep learning curve. Yet, his high school team runs a similar scheme that Clemson does. The fact that this guy is equally good as a runner and a passer (I've watched him. He's phenomenal) is a factor that will make the three-way QB race next year even more interesting.

With new RB's in the mix to bolster our ground game and given Stoudt's time in this system, he has the edge. Stoudt's a better passer, yes. Yet, Watson isn't rated the nation's number one dual threat without reason.

Having three competitive QB's is a good problem to have. May the best one lead the team next year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep, needs to RS. Get bigger, get more comfortable

Dec 7, 2013, 2:51 PM [ in reply to LOL. Ridiculous ]

People forget how much we expect from our QB in this system.

I predict...

Dec 6, 2013, 12:33 PM

That the coaches will evaluate all 3 in the Spring with an open mind and then pick the one that THEY feel most comfortable with. Personally, I would do the same, but if my preconceived notions are good, I would try to redshirt Watson and then platoon both Stoudt and Kelly as the game situation calls for.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.

You'll know quickly if Watson is a threat to start early

Dec 6, 2013, 1:12 PM

If at some point within the next year you hear Stoudt or Kelly will be transferring, you'll then know Watson is the real deal.

Cole isn't going anywhere as he's a senior but Kelly might***

Dec 6, 2013, 1:29 PM

If Watson is as good as advertised,

Dec 6, 2013, 1:30 PM

you could very well be losing a year of his services by redshirting.

I've heard from more than one Nole that Winston should have started last year. They are likely to only have him for 2 seasons and Manziel may be the same.

Whether he starts or not, I would not be surprised if Watson plays.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2005_cws_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you think Stoudt starts

Dec 6, 2013, 2:02 PM

Then you don't pay attention to your team and what's going on. Stoudt is good but he's not starting material anyway, Kelly was brought here to take over for Tahj and yes before he got injured he already had the 2nd string locked for this year . You guys have seen Cole throw well because he's been in the game for plays with out top offensive boys. Kelly had been thrown in the game a few times to give his leg reps after a large lead, without the receiving talent in the field.

He's done well every chance he's been given

Dec 7, 2013, 2:52 PM

Even showed some wheels a few weeks ago.

Re: Football Recruiting Update: ESPN discusses whether Watson can start from Day 1

Dec 6, 2013, 3:58 PM

Gainesville runs a similar system the transition isn't Going to be as bad as ppl making it out. Speed of game will be an adjustment but only game time helps with that. Kid is smart and has a great work ethic but clemson to reach its full potential Watson or kelly needs to start. Defense will help Watson along because clemson will be good on the DL and LB spots. DBS with Alexander and bree land should be upgraded drastically. So yea let Watson start if earned or kelly

Dec 6, 2013, 4:26 PM

Can he start? Most definitely. Will he start? I'd say it's probably 50/50 at this point. He has the ability to go in there and show he's at a different level than Cole and Chad but will he do it? I'm pretty sure the coaching staff is gonna want him to redshirt with us having two good QB's already. He's gonna have to have a HUGE spring but if there is any QB that could beat out Cole and Chad, it's Deshaun Watson.

Dec 6, 2013, 6:11 PM

Kelly is a competitor and anyone that thinks he's not going to go down without a fight. He made as fast of a recovery from the ACL surgery as anyone could because of his drive to be the guy. I never liked his Uncle during his days at Buffalo being a Dolphin fan. But he was a great competitor and now one would have beat him out if it was up to him. Still only team to go to 4 straight Superbowls.

Who gives a fat flying....

Dec 7, 2013, 6:36 PM

#### what ESPN thinks???

Dabo and Chad got it covered EsecPn.....now run along and GO kiss some more $EC A .$$

Go Tigers!!!!

This is really random but

Dec 8, 2013, 8:48 AM

Can you imagine how woody could have performed in this offense...Holy s##t that would have been awesome!!

Replies: 37
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic