Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Orange Bowl official breaks down Clemson's BCS bowl chances
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 58
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Orange Bowl official breaks down Clemson's BCS bowl chances

Dec 3, 2013, 11:30 AM

Orange Bowl official breaks down Clemson's BCS bowl chances

Clemson Athletic Director Dan Radakovich said Monday that the Orange Bowl is worried about ticket sales if Clemson is selected for that BCS game. What did an Orange Bowl official tell TigerNet that would help in that area. Also, what does he say about Clemson's chances? Who would be a potential opponent? Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There are only two scenarios we don't go the Orange Bowl

Dec 3, 2013, 11:35 AM

1) FSU loses to Duke (not going to happen)
2) MSU beats OSU, which sends MSU to the Rose Bowl. OSU vs Alabama would not be passed up by the Orange Bowl.

There are actually ALOT of other scenarios.***

Dec 3, 2013, 11:38 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

ALOT isn't a word.

Dec 3, 2013, 12:14 PM

HTH.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

ALOT!

Dec 3, 2013, 8:58 PM [ in reply to There are actually ALOT of other scenarios.*** ]

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.jp/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html

Re: There are only two scenarios we don't go the Orange Bowl

Dec 3, 2013, 11:43 AM [ in reply to There are only two scenarios we don't go the Orange Bowl ]

MSU beats OSU would send an SEC team to the title game. 2nd SEC team would go to the Sugar bowl. That would mean the Orange couldn't take Bama. More than likely an OSU vs Clemson Orange bowl in that case.

null

The Sugar can take whoever they want as a replacement***

Dec 3, 2013, 11:58 AM

Orange bowl owes the ACC...I say it's ours to lose.

Dec 3, 2013, 11:51 AM [ in reply to There are only two scenarios we don't go the Orange Bowl ]

DRad is trying to pump ticket sales through CU.

Maybe they should secure better seats if they want us to

Dec 3, 2013, 11:52 AM

purchase through the ticket office.

And why would we buy tickets now if we don;t know we are going there?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Re: Maybe they should secure better seats if they want us to

Dec 3, 2013, 2:16 PM

You are not charged for tickets until it official that Clemson goes, you are just putting in a request at his time.

Have all of you who complain about seating let IPTAY and the ticket office know? If enough people complain maybe IPTAY will change the way it handles tickets to bowl games. I know for a fact that Drad has been looking at the process. I have always had decent seats.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

After getting saddled with NIU last year....

Dec 3, 2013, 11:53 AM [ in reply to Orange bowl owes the ACC...I say it's ours to lose. ]

I'm betting the Orange Bowl doesn't feel like they owe anyone anything.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: After getting saddled with NIU last year....

Dec 3, 2013, 11:56 AM

Well said. Probably not.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wow...

Dec 3, 2013, 11:40 AM

Sad to see how far our bowl stock has fallen in terms of tickets. Bowls used to clamor to get us for this very reason-- now it's a concern for them. I guess it makes sense. We beat SCar and there's no discussion or concern about this.

This is a Clemson Athletic Department issue....

Dec 3, 2013, 11:44 AM

and not a Clemson fan issue.

Clemson fans still travel just as well as they always have. Many of them have just stopped buying tickets through the University and IPTAY.

Re: This is a Clemson Athletic Department issue....

Dec 3, 2013, 11:53 AM

I partly agree.

The sections we're given by the bowls are usually terrible. They're terrible for away games, they're terrible for bowl games. That's why I reluctantly stopped going through Clemson a long time ago.

The other problem is that the secondary marketplace is very accessible. Most people are not going to buy tickets through the AD if they can get better seats for less money online.

Maybe the biggest problem though is SCar. We're not beating them and people are demoralized and it's only getting worse after 5 in a row. The Peach vs. LSU was a best-case-scenario thanks to the location and the opponent. However, a weekend trip after the holidays to South Florida is neither convenient for many or affordable (or both). With that said, if we win that SCar game, I think ticket sales would be twice as strong. 11-1 and an end to the streak with OSU or Bama up next? People would be excited for that. The loss to SCar is killer.

Dec 3, 2013, 11:58 AM

Exactly, you would think the smart guys would learn that.

Yep. Tickets for the game in C-ville, if purchased through

Dec 3, 2013, 12:00 PM [ in reply to This is a Clemson Athletic Department issue.... ]

the AD would have been $45, and up in the corner. Through stubhub, I got tickets on the 50yd line, front row, for $20.

I am far more concerned with my own wallet than the wallets of millionaire coaches.

Bowls also contribute to the problem

Dec 3, 2013, 12:07 PM [ in reply to This is a Clemson Athletic Department issue.... ]

Best seats are sold to sponsors and brokers.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Indeed***

Dec 3, 2013, 12:42 PM

Spot on. For the 2012 Orange Bowl, IPTAY had bad seats

Dec 3, 2013, 12:44 PM [ in reply to This is a Clemson Athletic Department issue.... ]

I got MUCH better seats by going through stub hub, and saved money too. To get decent seats through IPTAY you had to be a much higher level donor than the average donor.

Dec 3, 2013, 2:23 PM [ in reply to This is a Clemson Athletic Department issue.... ]

Agree on the Athletic Department issue....

Here are my issues:
Since we are contracted to sell X number of tickets then the Bowl should be able to provide us all of the tickets (seats including sections, etc) for what we have to sell. The Athletic Department needs to have a web based system like Stubhub that allows you to see the seats available in each section and be able to pick the seat you want. If I know what I am getting before I purchase then I would buy from the Athletic Department. Since I don't know, I may decide to go to Stubhub and pay an escalated price to get better tickets than I could get through the University.

Our last OB was on a Wednesday - poor planning on their part

Dec 3, 2013, 11:43 PM [ in reply to This is a Clemson Athletic Department issue.... ]

This year's OB is on a Friday, and that alone should result in more ticket sales.

Then there is the whole issue of schools getting saddled with the worst seats in the house.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, a lot of this is because of 3rd party dealers I assume

Dec 3, 2013, 11:53 AM [ in reply to Wow... ]

Fans can be just as bad at trying to sell cheap seats for more money (like 3rd party sites), when others will just go to those very 3rd party sites, pay a little more and try to get more premium seating (I assume).

Plus the economy is just not what it used to be, and bowl games have lost their luster because of various other reasons I guess.

This is squarely on the bowls and the conferences, not fans

Dec 3, 2013, 12:56 PM [ in reply to Wow... ]

The conferences--all of them--need to leverage their muscle to convince the bowls to offer better tickets. The schools get crap seating, and in an age where you can buy a ticket from dozens of different sources of COURSE the fans are going to buy from where they get the most bang for the buck. Why on EARTH would we pay full price for a ticket in the upper corner of a half-filled bowl game? Especially when you can go to stubhub, eBay, even Tnet to get tickets at competitive (which often means below face value) prices for good seats.

I admire Mr. Radakovich's frankness, but I think fans need to be equally frank that we're not satisfied with getting third-rate seats for a first-rate price.

Dec 3, 2013, 1:07 PM [ in reply to Wow... ]

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=14718250#14718250

Bowl sales have fallen for everyone

Dec 3, 2013, 1:36 PM [ in reply to Wow... ]

Bowls arent special anymore, and tickets are expensive. And the bowl sechedule sucks too. Last time we went it was on a wednesday I think. That really limits who can go. This year is on a friday which will help sales a lot I think.

Clemson fans have gotten smarter than to pay high prices

Dec 3, 2013, 1:42 PM [ in reply to Wow... ]

for crappy seats when you can get great seats for less than half of face value the day of the game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Should offer IPTAY Bonus Points for purchasing from school

Dec 3, 2013, 5:02 PM

And bowls should provide the schools better tickets. People are too smart. They know to get on the internet to get sideline seats.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Wow...

Dec 3, 2013, 4:03 PM [ in reply to Wow... ]

Sales will be down if they play the game in the middle of the week. duh, people have to work. Why would you schedule a BCS bowl game on a week night anyway?

This is a bowl issue not a Clemson issue

Dec 3, 2013, 4:14 PM [ in reply to Wow... ]

1) there are too many bowls

2) "sellout" is a fictional word used by the bowls. They sell their allotment and then push the rest off on the schools. The CFA bowl is saying they are a sellout. If it is Duke and TAMU tickets will be able to be found lying on the street for the taking. When you watch bowl games, there are a lot of seats apparently sold to people that look like silver bleachers.

3) the tie ins have pretty much killed any enthusiasm for the matchup because you bascialy know who it is going to be before halfway through the season

4) The 12th game adds significant cost. Most folks that go to bowl games have also gone to 7 home games, some road games, and maybe even a conference championship game. When you are a team like Clemson, those road game tickets are usually sold at a premium.

People don't buy from the athletic office I assume because

Dec 3, 2013, 11:47 AM

of seating correct? Is that why people buy from 3rd party businesses and scalpers to get a better seat? What I don't get is why the bowl cares about this, because aren't they profligating and feeding into these 3rd party online dealers anyway to maximize more tickets sales?

Re: People don't buy from the athletic office I assume because

Dec 3, 2013, 2:31 PM

That's exactly why I don't buy them via the athletic department any more. In an effort to be a loyal fan, I did for several years. However, after consistently being stuck in the worse seats in the stadium, I finally stopped doing that. I understand that it somehow helps the school for fans to buy the tickets through them, but I think they also own it to fans to get some decent seats. The ones through the athletic department are just terrible seats.

Hey DRad...

Dec 3, 2013, 11:48 AM

Hey DRad, you know what happened right before that Gator Bowl against Nebraska you speak of? We beat South Carolina. Losing to them puts a bad taste in everyone's mouth which causes ticket sales to not be as high as they normally would.

Well it ain't real hard to figure out there Dan...

Dec 3, 2013, 12:02 PM

We've lost to the coots long enough that middle schoolers are now seniors in high school and it's a d$mn guessing game ordering tix from the school and they're usually sh$tty no matter how much you give or how many points you have. Don't tell me no other schools fans go through the bowl itself or third parties to get better tix for their $. All that matters to the bowls is how many are there at the game spending money..not how or where they got tickets.

What are the chances . . .

Dec 3, 2013, 12:02 PM

We fall out of the top 14 this weekend?

Re: What are the chances . . .

Dec 3, 2013, 12:04 PM

I think it's higher than people seem to think.

Chances are low that we fall out of the top 14.***

Dec 3, 2013, 12:17 PM [ in reply to What are the chances . . . ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Chances are low that we fall out of the top 14.***

Dec 3, 2013, 12:21 PM

I think chances are low as well, but with a few upsets this weekend, it could happen. We shouldn't fall back by not playing, but it's definitely not uncommon for it to happen.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Correct me if I'm wrong

Dec 3, 2013, 12:38 PM [ in reply to What are the chances . . . ]

But doesn't the ACC/school have to eat any unsold tickets?

If so why would the Orange Bowl care whether or not the school sold their allotment, as long as the fans bought tickets from somewhere and showed up.

As everyone has stated, you can better tickets for cheaper from 3rd parties. So why would you not do it?

Re: Correct me if I'm wrong

Dec 3, 2013, 12:43 PM

You're absolutely correct, but the problem is that the block sales are an indication of sales in general. So, if we can't move our block, ticket sales in general will be soft as well. If we were to sell-out our block, people need to buy tickets from the bowl/ticketmaster, etc. The Orange Bowl isn't just looking at our block. They would not be happy if the only sales from Clemson fans came from our block-- they need enough interest so that their other tickets sell too. So, they're concerned about Clemson attendance regardless of how people acquire their tickets. Hope that makes sense.

Re: Front Page Story: Orange Bowl official breaks down Clemson's BCS bowl chances

Dec 3, 2013, 12:22 PM

So who do we need to pull for this weekend to obtain the best bowl we can?

Not only that, You can print out e-tickets from numerous sites

Dec 3, 2013, 12:27 PM

Instantly without having to wait for them or pick them up. That's why CU ticket sales have dropped.

The Top 14

Dec 3, 2013, 12:33 PM

Couldn't wins by just UCF (likely) and Oklahoma (not likely, but possible) conceivably knock us out? What if Texas beats Baylor? Could they climb enough?

Personally I believe ASU or Stanford will drop below us

Dec 3, 2013, 12:57 PM

after they play.

Texas has no shot at jumping us, them beating Baylor will drop Baylor below us.

OU does.

Michigan St is already ahead of us, so them losing also helps us, but them winning changes nothing, as far as us falling out of the selection radius. However,OU & Michigan St to loses would be huge for us, with UCF & NIU being legit concerns.

Well what about just UCF and OU winning?

Dec 3, 2013, 1:09 PM

That could bump us down to 15, no?

I think if UCF was going to pass us the would have already

Dec 3, 2013, 1:26 PM

if they get in it is because other dropped, not us.

As for OU winning they could pass us. Is losing to 2 unranked teams, then beating a Top 10 enough? Our loses were to 2 top 10 teams. Only reason we don't have a big win is because of all UGA's injuries. Was a big win then. If OU beats OK St that will be their first big win in years. lol

Re: I think if UCF was going to pass us the would have already

Dec 3, 2013, 1:26 PM

others dropped

Wait, did the Orange Bowl just break up with us?

Dec 3, 2013, 12:50 PM

Sounds like it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: Front Page Story: Orange Bowl official breaks down Clemson's BCS bowl chances

Dec 3, 2013, 1:12 PM

The reason ticket sales have dropped off in recent years is PRICING!!! I used to go every year but ticket prices have become too expensive especially with the increases in lodging and travel over the last few years. What do they expect.

Great article, David. We can always count on Hood to

Dec 3, 2013, 1:37 PM

take the pulse of the Tigernet community and go find the answers (in this case, the concern about where we'll be bowling, and going directly to the AD and an Orange Bowl official).

null

Why do bowls care about ticket sales through the school?

Dec 3, 2013, 4:18 PM

other than the visual perception of empty seats. The bowls are in partnerships with the chamber of commerces, the local hotels/restaurants/tourist traps. As long as people travel to their city for the bowl game, they don't care where the tickets are bought. Those sponsors and partners that have 50 yard line seats don't travel to the bowl, they are local.

Thats why the CFA bowl (and opening day games) don't like it when UGA or GT go to that game. They might sell out the stadium, but the hotels are vacant. Their partners are pi$$ed.

I want Bama. Good test of our progress since '08 spanking.***

Dec 3, 2013, 4:38 PM

Re: I want Bama. Good test of our progress since '08 spanking.***

Dec 3, 2013, 5:01 PM

It would be another 2014 spanking ; Tigers have proved they can't hang with the big boys ( S C and FSU )

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 4, 2013, 12:07 AM

Only big boy there is FSU. We beat ourselves vs. the Coots. Of course we also beat a relatively healthy UGA and LSU lately as well. They are at least faily big boys.

Dec 4, 2013, 12:56 AM [ in reply to Re: I want Bama. Good test of our progress since '08 spanking.*** ]

In this calendar year Clemson has beaten LSU and Georgia, teams consistently better in the SEC than South Carolina. In fact, this season clemson beat Georgia, and Georgia beat Carolina. Carolina also lost to Tennessee, a team that Clemson would most likely spank. Very few teams win them all, but Clemson has won most of their games(10) and definitely can play with anyone out there. Also, FSU and Clemson are about even against each other over the last 5-10 years in wins/losses vs each other...

In Clemsons two losses this year, they had horrendous turnovers, and thats the story period. On top of that, Carolina has just had their number as of late. Also FSU is pretty dang good this year...if a team like Carolina turned the ball over against FSU the way Clemson did, they would get spanked as well.

Clemson has proven itself to be a top 20 type program over the last 5-8 years, and has been a top 10-15 team the last few years. It would be nice to see how far Clemson has come by seeing how they do against Bama...But remember, Bama has also gotten alot better since Clemson got spanked by them in 2008. Bama is a back to back national champion, and is the clear cut top program out there over the last three years. The team Clemson played back then was a top ten team for sure, but it was only Nick Sabans second year there. Now all the players are Saban dream team recruits.

Back then Clemson was a fringe top 20 team and Bama was a top ten group due to Sabans quick turn around. Nowadays Clemson is a fringe top ten team, and Bama is the king of college football, a team that most people still regard as being #1 even after a miracle loss vs Auburn.

Can Clemson play with the better teams in the country? Wins against LSU, Auburn, Georgia, and FSU over the last few years proves that they can. If Clemson is lucky enough to get a shot at Bama, all I can say is...Down with the King:P

When there is a bowl game on a WEDNESDAY, tickets suffer

Dec 3, 2013, 7:34 PM

examples... Sugar Bowl 2012, Orange Bowl 2009. People need to use common sense.

Re: When there is a bowl game on a WEDNESDAY, tickets suffer

Dec 3, 2013, 10:37 PM

I thought the game was Friday, Jan. 3rd???

Re: Front Page Story: Orange Bowl official breaks down Clemson's BCS bowl chances***

Dec 3, 2013, 10:24 PM

Buying tickets through iptay poses

Dec 3, 2013, 10:29 PM

A problem. You never know what seat u get and you hav to wait behind those with more priority points to find out. Until they come up with a better plan, I stick tto zpending my money on the seat location i want.

Replies: 58
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic