Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Freshman report: Defense
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Freshman report: Defense

Nov 21, 2013, 10:48 AM

Freshman report: Defense

Defensive coordinator Brent Venables was able to redshirt eight freshmen this season, and a few them were big names in the 2013 recruiting class. What does he say about each player? Which players came closest to not redshirting? Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks for the coverage...***

Nov 21, 2013, 10:54 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Front Page Story: Freshman report: Defense

Nov 21, 2013, 11:03 AM

I agree with poster above. Thanks for the feedback on these players as well as any future reports on them.

One guy who had his RS year wasted...TJ Green

Nov 21, 2013, 11:25 AM

He's played so little, it's a wasted year for him. He's back there on kick off returns, but seldom returns one. We could've/should've found somebody else for that and saved TJ for another year.

I don't think he wasted a year

Nov 21, 2013, 11:34 AM

We were thin at WR depth this year and with charone going down it obviously didn't make things better. We needed green to play this year. He may not be playing that much but he is still getting experience which will pay off in the future. Just remember this guy committed just a couple of weeks before NSD so I think its great we even have him here

Re: One guy who had his RS year wasted...TJ Green

Nov 21, 2013, 11:39 AM [ in reply to One guy who had his RS year wasted...TJ Green ]

Not if they needed him.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Still building, getting better. Greatness is happening.***

Nov 21, 2013, 11:33 AM

what about Greenlee?***

Nov 21, 2013, 11:48 AM

Re: what about Greenlee?***

Nov 21, 2013, 11:57 AM

I think he was a 3* that his dad works with our the S&C program.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't think he ever practiced a snap on defense

Nov 21, 2013, 12:28 PM [ in reply to what about Greenlee?*** ]

they moved him to offense really quick to be a blocking TE/fullback

Re: Don't think he ever practiced a snap on defense

Nov 21, 2013, 10:13 PM

Is he that big? He seems tiny.

Re: Front Page Story: Freshman report: Defense

Nov 21, 2013, 12:01 PM

I would love to see ryan carter have a great career and end up the best defensive player to come out of Grayson last year

I Hope To Get To See Some Smashing ----

Nov 21, 2013, 12:43 PM

I just wonder how it would be, if the 4 D-linemen that
just happend to get some reps in a game,
on the field together, at the same time, would be:

Shaq Lawson---The Hawaiian Hulk Scott Pagano---Grady
Jarrett---Vic Beasley or Corey Crawford.

Imagine The Pressure And Pursuit!!!!

Gotta feel good about these Freshmen.

Nov 21, 2013, 1:09 PM

He obviously really likes Mackensie, Ebo, and Pagano.

Can't wait to see them grow and hopefully become gamechangers.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Interesting that one of his comments about Pagano is

Nov 21, 2013, 2:33 PM

"low maintenance." I like to hear it, but if you can't say that about all your players it makes it more interesting to me. I wonder who is not so "low maintenance," Alexander maybe?

I would imagine there are a lot of high maintenance,

Nov 21, 2013, 2:42 PM

difficult personality big time recruits....it comes with the territory.

Also, why would you automatically assume Alexander? Curious why you automatically choose him out of all of the guys on the team? Have you read anything that suggests he is high maintenance?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

No. I was reacting to what coaches have said this

Nov 21, 2013, 2:54 PM

season and the quote from Venables in the piece. I know he didn't directly refer to him as high maintenance, but he certainly shows some level of disappointment about progress and healing. I just took a guess that maybe he was the one with the prima dona complex, to whatever degree.

Wow!! Talk about reading into what Venables said.

Nov 21, 2013, 4:25 PM

Alexander comes from a very poor area so I seriously doubt he has a prima doña attitude. He was very low key in his recruitment despite being a 5 star recruit so not sure why you would even throw his name out? The kid has been injured so THAT prevents him from progressing and doubt seriously he is trying NOT to heal.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good grief. So much reaction here. My meaning was this:

Nov 21, 2013, 4:33 PM

Out of all the players mentioned, Venables for some reason chose Pagano to describe as "low maintenance." So, being curious, I wondered if he was saying that because others he had talked about wouldn't fit that description. That is not something coaches say often about a player unless it is really different in an outstanding way, I assume.

Reading again, the one who Venables "expressed" any disappointment about is Alexander. Dabo - the guy who is usually pumping pure sunshine - had similar words earlier in the season. Alexander may be perfectly fine. Hence I used a question mark in my post to "express" that I wasn't sure. Could it be? Maybe not. But no other player discussed in the conference seemed to have gotten any negative comment from Venables. That is all my reasoning. I have no knowledge about who may be 'higher maintenance', simply curiosity.

I read it as 'coachable'. Scott responds well to coaching***

Nov 21, 2013, 4:35 PM

Clemson

Good point. But is THAT so rare? Maybe I'm too curious....***

Nov 21, 2013, 4:53 PM

There are kids who always get 100 on tests, doesn't mean

Nov 21, 2013, 5:40 PM

there aren't others getting 90s

Clemson

Re: Good grief. So much reaction here. My meaning was this:

Nov 21, 2013, 10:34 PM [ in reply to Good grief. So much reaction here. My meaning was this: ]

So if you are injured and have to have surgery, you are suddenly "high maintenance?" I'm not sure I buy totally into Dabo's ability to assess player ability. How long did he stick with Giff Timothy (nice guy that he may be) who obviously lacks lateral movement, foot speed, and general athleticism. Almost got Tajh killed.

Re: Wow!! Talk about reading into what Venables said.

Nov 21, 2013, 10:28 PM [ in reply to Wow!! Talk about reading into what Venables said. ]

You just nailed it.

Re: No. I was reacting to what coaches have said this

Nov 21, 2013, 10:26 PM [ in reply to No. I was reacting to what coaches have said this ]

Man, a groin injury is one of the most painful. They probably (unwisely) waited to see if it would heal on its own. Meanwhile he couldn't practice, so what the hell was he supposed to do? Of course Venables didn't see him take many snaps---he couldn't play! I'll guarantee you Dr. Bowman didn't have him undergo surgery just for fun and games. What's your problem with this player? Get real.

Who says I have a problem with Alexander? I simply was

Nov 22, 2013, 12:25 AM

curious and asked a question. But the reaction squad seems to be out in full force tonight. I didn't say I knew he was high maintenance. I just asked if there was someone who might be on his mind as NOT 'low maintenance' given that Venables made that pretty unusual comment about Pagano - at least he and Dabo rarely talk about "maintenance" of players.

So you're saying there are a lot of "pre-madonnas?"

Nov 21, 2013, 4:41 PM [ in reply to I would imagine there are a lot of high maintenance, ]

;)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Interesting that one of his comments about Pagano is

Nov 21, 2013, 10:19 PM [ in reply to Interesting that one of his comments about Pagano is ]

Alexander was injured and had surgery. Why the rap on him? I predict he will be a star at CU.

Nice article! Thanks for the update!***

Nov 21, 2013, 4:07 PM

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic