Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Dabo talks Boulware, Carlos Watkins, health of running backs and Josh Watson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 2,221

Front Page Story: Dabo talks Boulware, Carlos Watkins, health of running backs and Josh Watson

Nov 20, 2013, 7:27 PM

Dabo talks Boulware, Carlos Watkins, health of running backs and Josh Watson

Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney announced Wednesday night that redshirt junior defensive tackle Josh Watson would not return next season, and he also addressed the health of Zac Brooks, C.J. Davidson and Carlos Watkins. Also, what did he say about Ben Boulware's ejection? Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not rule can be enforced perfectly and most can't be

Nov 20, 2013, 7:35 PM

enforced consistently. For young players like Boulware, I only hope they don't get too discouraged or too cautious. Take the risk on a good/bad call. For that matter, I guess it applied to all.

I hope to see Brooks making some big plays. Getting his confidence up for the game is Columbia is very key. We cannot simply rely on Hot Rod and Boyd for yards on the ground.

Re: Not rule can be enforced perfectly and most can't be

Nov 20, 2013, 7:39 PM

there is a misconception that the defender can hit the O guy where ever he wants. in fact the guy may be faking, falling, being hit by another defender. it is a stupid rule because you can overturn the ejection but not the penalty which is ludicrous. if there is no ejection there should be no penalty

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 21, 2013, 8:13 AM

Boulware led with the top of his helment... it will be a penalty unless you have the ball or if the contact is near the line of scrimmage.
Players will learn to keep their head up, if they are looking at the player they are hitting they should only get the penalty if the strike the players head with the arms.

Thats not the rule

Nov 21, 2013, 8:53 AM

you can still hit with your helmet and hit the helmet. The rule is intentionally targeting the head. They look for things like leaving your feet to launch into the head (Breelands hit for example) or attempting to initiate contact with the head with your head, forearm etc. Boulware did none of that. I can get the 15 yards, but there is no way in the world a replay official should have seen that as targeted and ejected him.

"According to a handout produced by College Football Officiating, LLC, if officials see the following things, the risk of a targeting foul is high:
• Launching toward an opponent to make contact in the head or neck area.
• A crouch followed by an upward and forward thrust with contact at the head or neck area.
• Leading with the helmet, forearm, fist, hand or elbow into the head or neck area.
• Lowering the head before attacking and initiating with the crown of the helmet.
According to that same handout, the following factors would indicate less risk of a targeting penalty being called:
• A heads-up tackle where the crown of the helmet does not strike above the shoulders.
• A wrap-up tackle.
• The head is to the side rather than used to initiate contact.
• Incidental helmet contact due to players changing position during the play."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20130723/college-football-officials-targeting-rule/#ixzz2lHukpppB

Re: Thats not the rule

Nov 21, 2013, 10:12 AM

Lowering the head before attacking and initiating with the crown of the helmet.

I thought I saw that in the Boulware case... I do nto remember Breedland's hit.

I like Boulware a lot, but, he put his head down.

Nov 21, 2013, 10:52 AM [ in reply to Not rule can be enforced perfectly and most can't be ]

It's not hard, keep your head up. Hit the hell out of them, put your face on the ball, keep your head up.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's a lot harder when you've done it your whole career

Nov 21, 2013, 11:38 AM

tough to adjust a tackling motion you've always used, and for all we know Boulware may have been leading with his helmet since he was in peewee leagues.

Nov 21, 2013, 10:52 PM [ in reply to Not rule can be enforced perfectly and most can't be ]

Brooks is apparently still playing at his HS weight of 185. After two years in our program. I just don't see how he's going to be any kind of factor at RB. Why this is the case, I don't understand, but why not move to WR?
With Treshone Dye and Adam Choice coming in this fall (Dye in the Spring), I just don't see Zac getting any real playing time at RB, unless he miraculously puts on 20 pounds of muscle, something I don't see happening. Wasn't he an excellent DB in HS? Put him somewhere he can make a difference.

Re: Front Page Story: Dabo talks Boulware, Carlos Watkins, health of running backs and Josh Watson

Nov 21, 2013, 11:40 AM

Based on his comments about CJ, and based on what I have seen out of CJ's performances, I believe this kid is going to give us key reps, yards, and TDs against the chickens. This kid has "IT" and some of his runs looked almost Spiller-esque. I think he is our starter next year as well. His vision and cutback ability is second to none, and he has great speed.

No way he starts next year

Nov 21, 2013, 11:57 AM

Not with Brooks having another year in the system, Dye and Gallman coming off redshirts, and Choice & Oglesby, or Fuller (I don't think both will end up on campus)coming in.

Re: No way he starts next year

Nov 21, 2013, 10:57 PM

Brooks will not be factor at RB.

Re: Front Page Story: Dabo talks Boulware, Carlos Watkins, health of running backs and Josh Watson

Nov 21, 2013, 10:56 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Dabo talks Boulware, Carlos Watkins, health of running backs and Josh Watson ]

Who is CJ?

Replies: 12
| visibility 2,221
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic