Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Dabo to Juniors: Stay in School
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Dabo to Juniors: Stay in School

Nov 18, 2013, 12:28 PM

Dabo to Juniors: Stay in School

Wide receivers Sammy Watkins and Martavis Bryant, defensive end Vic Beasley and linebacker Stephone Anthony all have the talent to play at the next level, but Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney said Tuesday that he thinks all of those players – other than Watkins – would benefit from an extra year in school. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

M.Bryant And S. Anthony Needs One More Year At Clemson.

Nov 18, 2013, 12:42 PM

End of story.

it's not even debatable

Nov 18, 2013, 12:52 PM

the NFL is loaded with receivers and LB's with their skill sets. Another year makes both of them bigger, stronger and more refined in their skill sets. Bryant gets to be the number one receiver and Anthony gets to be the leader of the D. I think Beasley needs another year in the weight room as well. His body type is outside LB in the NFL, not DE unless he puts about 15 to 20 more lbs. of muscle on. Those three could be AA's next year if they stayed and worked their ##### off one more year.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

agree with everything y'all just said.

Nov 18, 2013, 12:55 PM

watkins is the only jr. that SHOULD go. nothing he could accomplish next year would improve his draft stock, and he's the only 1 of our jr.'s i could say that about.

Re: it's not even debatable

Nov 18, 2013, 1:31 PM [ in reply to it's not even debatable ]

I totally agree, and anybody that says any different are saying they know our players better than our coaches that coach them everyday. You can't and it's impossible to watch a player having a cple of good games on TV or in the stands to say he is ready for the NFL. College players have to be great in every college game just to be mediocre at his beginning in the NFL. People sometime choose to forget that the NFL teams only keep around the best of the best they have. It isn't like they have a farm team like in major league baseball where they can send the one that could make it with more work to a farm team. The NFL will only look at rookies for a short time in pre/season. The instant they see that they are not in their best of the best category, they are gone. That usually ends all chances for an NFL career for them. They can't go back to college to get that extra year that they had the opportunity to get before they left. These kids need to look at how many of those people telling them to apply for the draft, how many NFL teams have they ever played on to absolutely know what it takes to be right for the NFL. End of story.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: it's not even debatable

Nov 20, 2013, 11:38 AM

I totally agree. You go out early and bust in the NFL, and that's typically the end of the story. And agents will tell these guys anything just for a chance at quick $$.

did you never see Dwight Freeney play??? ***********

Nov 18, 2013, 2:31 PM [ in reply to it's not even debatable ]

Heard this the other week coming on Thursday pm....

Nov 18, 2013, 1:57 PM [ in reply to M.Bryant And S. Anthony Needs One More Year At Clemson. ]

Don't remember the station I was tuning in, but the commentator said that the Jack. Jaguars would beat 'Bama every time by 20+ points, just because all their players are extremely good to great, and AL cannot match that.
The skill level is so much higher, and the 53 the pros have more than compensates for the talent in 85-100 players. If the Jags had the talent pool(85-100) that AL would have, no way Bammer wins.

That's not really a debate, the worst team in the NFL would

Nov 18, 2013, 2:02 PM

manhandle and destroy the greatest college football team.

Every year there are more than 5,000 NCAA D-1 football players striving to be in the NFL trying to fill ~160 spots. The talent difference between an NFL team and a college team is absurd.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

i really can't think an actual cfb fan could think that the

Nov 18, 2013, 2:59 PM

best team in the ncaa could beat the worst team in the nfl. heck, alabama and fsu combined, this year, couldn't field an all-star team that would beat the worst nfl team.

Re: That's not really a debate, the worst team in the NFL would

Nov 18, 2013, 9:25 PM [ in reply to That's not really a debate, the worst team in the NFL would ]

Obviously, you're too young to remember 1975, when the Super Bowl Champion Steelers won 21-14 over the College All-Stars. As a matter of fact, in 40 games, the College All-Stars won 9 times over the NFL or Super Bowl Champions, with two ties. The talent difference between the NFL and college teams is not absurd, although it is there. It's just closer than most of us think.

Re: Front Page Story: Dabo to Juniors: Stay in School

Nov 18, 2013, 12:54 PM

While I agree with Dabo on these players, you can;t have it both ways,

He was dead wrong last year saying Nuk wasn;t ready

This is an area where his (and any other coaches) need for talented Srs on his team disrupts his otherwise logical decision making

Nov 18, 2013, 4:10 PM

He never said nuk wasn't ready he said exactly what he said this year and that is if you're not a guaranteed first rounder stay one more year. In fact he said he thought nuk was the best receiver in the country but he was projected as a second rounder. You need to be in fgf worrying about your team.

Nov 18, 2013, 1:05 PM

I think Sammy and possibly Beasley should go. The only reason I say Vic should go is because the iron is really hot on him right now. It may not be that way if he doesn't have a top-level year next year.

Sammy can do whatever he wants because he's been a big name since he came in...even if he didn't have a great year this year he would be considered one of the top 2 receivers in the draft. Vic didn't have that kind of clout coming in, so while I'd love him to come back for us next year, I'd understand if he went.

Nov 18, 2013, 1:23 PM

Dabo only said that he thought the 2nd round grade they gave Nuk wasn't good, not that Nuk wasn't ready to go. He was right when he said that's usually a best case scenario prediction. I'm sure had Nuk gotten a 1st round pick prediction Dabo would have said he thought Nuk should go. He's saying Sammy should go b/c we all know he's a lock for the 1st round.

"If you're going to give me 110 percent, you can rub that rock. If you're not, keep your filthy hands off it."

Nov 18, 2013, 2:07 PM

I'm not sure if you're responding to someone else or just misread my post.

I'm in no way chastizing Dabo at all...

However Dabo did say he believed Nuk needed another year.

“I felt like he needed another year”, Swinney said. I felt like another year would be beneficial to him from an overall growth standpoint. That’s my opinion. I’ve said this before: unless you are a first rounder I just don’t think it’s worth giving up your senior year in college. That’s what my life experience tells me. I’ve been in college football for 24 years as a player and coach I just think you are always better off more times than not in another year of college maturing physically and mentally in every regard…unless you have a chance to be a first rounder.”

Source: http://sportstalksc.com/index.php/2013/01/11/mistake-dabo-swinney-questions-hopkins-choice-to-go-pro-audio/

Nov 18, 2013, 9:04 PM

you should know better than to bring facts or quotes on this site. you will be a coot in 3,2,

Nov 18, 2013, 2:05 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Dabo to Juniors: Stay in School ]

Wishfully, I wish they ALL would stay one more year. If we don't get a BCS game this year, SW should stay.
Vic needs one more year to improve/get bigger/more experience. What is 12 months wait for 2M more a year?
Martavius needs the year for exposure/experience. With the receiving corps we have, it actually would reduce the pressure on him and all would benefit.
Shaq needs to be pushed by the second level to greater heights. He should use the experience to lead the Defense. Look what Luke K has done w/Panthers. Same scenario.

Nov 18, 2013, 2:08 PM

I don't think it's fair to say Sammy should stay. This guy is the consensus #1 WR in the draft. He's more/less a lock as the first receiver taken off the board.

That's too much to ask in my opinion.

Obviously if he decided to come back, you won't hear any complaints from me haha

Isn't Beasley at the end of his scholarship?

Nov 18, 2013, 2:08 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Dabo to Juniors: Stay in School ]

I know he's been around for 4 years and he did RS his first. Maybe he has one more year to go. But I'm pretty sure he's ready to graduate. So moving on may be an easy choice for him. Right?

End of his scholarship?

Nov 18, 2013, 2:14 PM

Scholarships are given on a year to year basis. 5th year seniors who were on scholarship the previous year will be on scholarship in their final year as well.

I could have been more clear - I thought he would graduate

Nov 18, 2013, 2:27 PM

...so either he must enter graduate school or otherwise end his scholarship by next year. Or declare.

Or he could do what Tajh did

Nov 18, 2013, 2:38 PM

and enter next fall with 3 credit hours left to graduate and fulfill that with an online class

Sounds like an ABC afternoon special starring Mr. T ...

Nov 18, 2013, 2:09 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Have DHam call MBryant...

Nov 18, 2013, 2:38 PM

Should be a done deal for him to stay after that. DHam was further in his game than Bryant at this point. He left early thinking he was going in 2nd round. Went in 3rd. Never panned out. If he would have stayed probably would have been in 1st round the next year and still competing today.

Completely different players

Nov 18, 2013, 2:39 PM

And Bryant has some extenuating circumstances.

Nov 18, 2013, 8:48 PM

I think it is a good call and solid advice with respect to the junior class moving to the NFL/
Watching the draft class from last year makes it clear that so many of the kids get caught up in the hype and salesmanship of agents and scouts.
Fewer and fewer prospects are making it through the brutal process and sign with a pro team. Even fewer are still there once their initial contracts are up.
Getting your degree so you have some advantage in the work place should still be the main reason you are attending any university.
Being able to contribute as a senior to a team you have become so much apart of is an experience that you will be proud of the rest of your life.
You were so close this year to a perfect season, stay with the team and become better. Better will pay off.

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic