Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Venables: "There were times it was a clinic"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 40
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Venables: "There were times it was a clinic"

Nov 15, 2013, 1:34 AM

Venables: "There were times it was a clinic"

Defensive coordinator Brent Venables liked how his defense played much for much of Thursday's game against Georgia Tech, especially during a suffocating first quarter. He also said, "There were times when it was a clinic for a good part of the game.” Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There were times tonight when the D reminded me

Nov 15, 2013, 2:55 AM

of the old days. It was fun watching those guys dominate!

Re: Front Page Story: Venables: "There were times it was a clinic"

Nov 15, 2013, 3:33 AM

It wasn't perfect, but those defensive players should really be proud of their performance tonight. They're really coming on strong and showing some attitude. They're only going to get better. Hopefully raekwon is noticing this as well. Congratulations fellas.

Good job D!***

Nov 15, 2013, 3:57 AM

Problem is..

Nov 15, 2013, 5:08 PM

IMO...

yes, My opinion...the defense is still very inconsistent.
They can't seem to close games and get lacidascial(sp) in
the 2nd half. Not the making of a championship defense.

It was one of the most dominant performances

Nov 15, 2013, 7:12 AM

I've seen against GT under PJ. Don't be fooled by stats or fhe couple of big plays. They were dominated as bad as PJ has ever been, and it isn't even close.

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

I definitely agree

Nov 15, 2013, 8:15 AM

Our defense played great last night. Not only were they shutting down the option but they were hitting them and hitting them hard. I haven't seen our defense consistently make big hits like that in while. Seemed like there were playing with a little swagger. Hopefully they will play like that against the coots

Defense played great in the first half...

Nov 15, 2013, 9:07 AM [ in reply to It was one of the most dominant performances ]

and very good in the early second half. I was disappointed with the 2nd teamers given up garbage yards and points.

GT was able to pass pretty well and it could have had more yardage and points if it wasn't for our D-Line. They really busted a few pass plays that could have gotten us...one would have been a TD no question.

That little guy, Godhigh (?), just blew us up though.

Re: Defense played great in the first half...

Nov 15, 2013, 12:29 PM

A great effort. However, we still don't seem to be able to just close a game down, and it showed in the 4th quarter. Surprised at how well they passed on us.

Nov 15, 2013, 8:43 AM

Wrong, this doesn;t remind me of the old days

Those teams would never give up 30 to a team with no real wins. They played great at times but still let up and gave up over 400yds total offense

I bet you can count on your hands the amount of times Danny's teams gave up 400yds offense

You have to keep in perspective, if the offense doens't score 55 points, this is much closer due to the D not being where they need to be

Again, this goes back to the UVA game and coaches sunshine pumping over playing a complete game on a team that is 2-8 of course it should be a complete game against a team that bad.

Back to the ACC they set us up for failure every year playing softies every week.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, Danny's teams would never give up 30 to a team with no

Nov 15, 2013, 9:32 AM

real wins.

Like giving up 30 to NC State in 1987 to lose 28-30.

NC State's other wins that year were Maryland (4-7), Georgia Tech (2-9), and Duke (5-6).

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 15, 2013, 10:07 AM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Venables: "There were times it was a clinic" ]

You didn't watch the football game.

That much is obvious.

Tennessee is a BAD team ... and yet they managed to

Nov 15, 2013, 10:31 AM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Venables: "There were times it was a clinic" ]

beat YOUR team. Losing to a team like UT is a prime example of what formerly was known as "Clemson-ing" ...

FWIW, in the "old days" Clemson was the team with an offense that was incapable of playing catch-up once they fell behind. Now we're a team with the capability of out-pacing pretty much any other team we play.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 15, 2013, 11:24 AM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Venables: "There were times it was a clinic" ]

Stats are amazing things... but no Danny Ford team ever had to defend a team with as many possessions as GT had last night. the same for UVa, last game! I would wager GT has as many 3 and outs last night as any 2 games this season.
GT had 14 possessions last night... 8 of those went for less than 10 yards with the ball coming back to us!
The only game I remember when a Danny Ford team gave the opposing team that many possessions was the game against Wake when we scored over 82 points. Wake scored 24! And that was not a good Wake team! The only won 4 games that year. And it was not second half coring against the scrubbs Wake scored in every quarter!

Nov 15, 2013, 12:32 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Venables: "There were times it was a clinic" ]

I agree. They have a ways to go. GT is not a great team, and they hung 30 on us. Got to get better, and fast.

Nov 15, 2013, 9:36 AM

Our defense played a better game than most this year. I am concenred with the euphoria from many about how well we played becuase I am not at all certain that effort will beat South Carolina. Giving up a couple of big plays like we did last night can easily mean the difference in that game.

Nov 15, 2013, 12:37 PM

We'll have to play 4 quarters of good defense to beat Carolina, and we didn't do that last night. I can only hope that we were playing subs in that 4th quarter.

kiknchkn

Nov 15, 2013, 9:47 AM

I feel like I always see Kiknchkn being the negative one. Dude if you cant admit that we played a really good team, get out of here. Our defense dominated them in the first half and took them out of the game. Yes if we dont score 55 its a closer game, but guess what we scored 55. No if ands or buts about it.

We played with fire all game long. Defense was hitting hard all games and special teams were laying the hat as well.

Be excited man, that was a good win!!

Re: kiknchkn

Nov 15, 2013, 11:57 AM

Haven't you read enough of kiknchkn post to have saw right through his cknchit loving self.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 15, 2013, 9:51 AM

Meant we played a really good game, not a really good team. Average team IMO

Nov 15, 2013, 9:59 AM

I know what you mean Kentucky, thanks for addressing with dignity without calling me names.

I think educated fans can enjoy the win and that I loved seeing Bryant make those catches and the way the D played most of the game goes without saying. However, there is nothing wrong with looking at things that may be forming a house of cards. They ended up with over 400 yds total offense. That isn;t good. I just disagree with most. If the offense played well, which they did, I want to address the busted plays on D to give up 400 plus yards. That is the way they get better. If you are a runner, you don;t come home saying yes, that was a clinic, I ran a 4 minute mile for some of the run, but I ran a 15 minute mile the rest of the way, you want to get better and not have that 15 minute mile. Coach V and Dabo are sunshine pumpers and that is great, keeps the team pumped up, but can build a house of cards as we have seen each year in late NOV

I watched the FSU game and thought it was much worse than Tajh had a bad game like many said.

I looked at it like the USC games of the past few years, not Tajh having a bd game but them making him have a bad game.

Not many on here like real discussion about true issues with the team and all they want to do is pump sunshine.

Well that is the attitude that makes people say each year we will be the coots by double digits and then have a whole off season of making excuses

If you were a bit more educated in your observation, it

Nov 15, 2013, 10:38 AM

would help your case. You may have watched the game, but your posts indicate you mainly looked at the box score.

To beat Ga Tech, you have to play a totally different type of defense.

If you play Ga Tech, you WILL give up yards on defense. Their is no way around it.

But, if half of the yards you give up on defense come through the air and then later when the game is totally decided, you are not concerned and you know you played an excellent game.

How many total yards Ga Tech gets is irrelevant. It's when and how they get those yards that count.

If Tech is passing for half their yards, they're losing

If Tech is unable to sustain long clock eating drives with the run, they're losing.

If Tech is punting the ball frequently, they're losing.

Last night Tech lost convincingly because they suffered all the above at the hands of Clemson.

Exactly. If you only look at the stat lines then you have

Nov 15, 2013, 10:49 AM

no clue how the game played out. GT is a different animal and we tamed them quite well last night.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Exactly. If you only look at the stat lines then you have

Nov 15, 2013, 12:01 PM

It was by far the best defensive game we have played against PJ and his honey bee's.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If you were a bit more educated in your observation, it

Nov 15, 2013, 11:16 AM [ in reply to If you were a bit more educated in your observation, it ]

well said BUT I did hate to see us give up those last un-necessary T/d`s.. our Def just seems to let up when we get a big lead that makes to the score seem like the game was MUCH CLOSER than it was.. that is what 75% of the voters see.. style points sure count when we are trying to move UP!!

Nov 15, 2013, 11:33 AM

Style points do not count for nothing with me, I do not care what the voters think! I care that much of the second half the 2 deep and the 3 deep were getting quality snaps running the O and the D!
We were working on next years team much of the second half! We were also keeping our players legs fresh for 2 weeks out when we go to Columbia. The last 2 years we went into that game with dead legs and injuries. This year if Boyd is not hurt we should go into that game as deep and fresh as we have in the last 5 years. Last year we went into the USC game after playing 100+ snaps on O and close to 90 snaps on D... the NCSt game! This year we play Citadel.

Nov 15, 2013, 12:46 PM [ in reply to Re: If you were a bit more educated in your observation, it ]

And lapsing on defense late in games has been a pattern with us---something the announcers alluded to several times. When you think you've "arrived," you are inviting defeat.

Nov 15, 2013, 12:41 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Venables: "There were times it was a clinic" ]

Thank you for an excellent, well-reasoned post.

Nov 15, 2013, 10:25 AM

Completely understand not wanting those busted plays, because they do seem to happen more often than they should, even with BV and ole Steele they always seembto happen. I am a little more ok with them against GT when were up big just because my dad always preaches how difficult that Triple option can be (played FS for the Tigers in 78) and thats how they make their living, at some point someone messes up and they break off a big play.

As far as FSU game, yeah there is a whole lot more than a bad gameby TB that made us lose that one.

When it comes to the coots its gonna start with us having to stop shaw or Thompson running the ball. They have killed us as of late! And keep Clowney away from him... two big tasks to ask of us.

Most of the busted plays came from the Safety position

Nov 15, 2013, 10:43 AM

I think on their longest run that Blanks overran the play and was out of position. If we could get consistent safety play our D would be pretty dominate. The front 7 is a terror for opposing teams and our CBs are actually playing much better this year

Nov 15, 2013, 12:49 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Venables: "There were times it was a clinic" ]

Three big tasks. Mike Davis may be the best running back in the SEC.

ever hear of a guy named gurley ? he plays for uga. well, i

Nov 15, 2013, 12:55 PM

am told by some people that he is a pretty good rb, and maybe, just maybe, a BIT better than davis.ya think? geez, davis hasn't even played a whole year. let him prove something before you proclaim him the next heisman winner.

Nov 15, 2013, 10:48 AM

Good point APEX

They are going to get their big plays and overall the D played great. It was smothering, stifling , all the adjectives you could possibly use

It was so hard watching that pathetic offense at times people around the country had to feel sorry for their players

However, 440 yds is too much to give up

Va Tech held them to 55 yrds rushing to Clemson's 248

They held them to 270 total yards which is what Clemson gave up in rushing alone

I agree with many of your points and will take a closer look at my opinions, hope you see where my concern is as well

Stats. Don't. Matter. Wins. Do.***

Nov 15, 2013, 10:50 AM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 15, 2013, 11:45 AM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Venables: "There were times it was a clinic" ]

VaTech had 55 yd rushing, GaT had 42 carries for 129yds + 144 yds pasing for 273... probably on 9 possessions or less.
The final score was 17 - 10 and Va Tech probably played starters for most of the game!

Those stats are incorrect.

Nov 15, 2013, 3:03 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Venables: "There were times it was a clinic" ]

http://georgiatech.rivals.com/boxscore.asp?Game=41182

If you check the box score, you see that Va Tech actually gave up 273 total yards and 129 yards on the ground to the Jackets, not 55 yards rushing.

Va Tech benefited from 3 Jacket turnovers while committing none themselves.

Is 273 yards better than 448?? Of course. But in a close game, the Hokie defenders were pressured into playing the whole game not to lose.

With the game well in hand, our guys had the luxury of easing up a bit and obviously they did.

Nov 15, 2013, 10:59 AM

Sure if stats don;t matter you are probably not looking closely at the wins when the coot game comes around you go in thinking Clemson will win by double digits

Then you hear the facts after the loss at the end of the year

Wait Va Tech held them to half the yds we did, UVA is only 2-8, I thought we played a great game against them, what we only have 1 win against a top 25 team and it isn;t even in our own conference

Then you start to realize how bad the ACC is and it can build a house of cards in wins and losses because the talent level is so bad.

just a way of thinking that I feel is more realistic, Sure the wins are great but looking closer at the facts one can get a feel for why a 7-2 team with a loss to an unranked terrible Tenn team is favored by 4 over Clemson

That is what people over look. Why was FSU ranked below Clemson yet favored as a road team over a higher ranked team?

Why is a 7-2 team favored over an 8-1 team? The details man the details

I commented to my son last night

Nov 15, 2013, 12:43 PM

As we sat in our seats for the last few seconds to tick off the clock, That was the worst butt whooping we have put on GT in a long time. The defense was great and really attacked. Some really good hits too. We were too fast and physical for them to handle.

Hope the injuries were minimal and we have a good injury free game next week before the state championship.

Go Tigers!!

Re: I commented to my son last night

Nov 15, 2013, 12:48 PM

Let's hope they lay the lumber in Columbia like they did on GT last night. best hitting of the year so far

apex tiger, those stats were correct.

Nov 15, 2013, 4:35 PM

VT only gained 55 rushing yards against GT.

That wasn't the issue ...

Nov 16, 2013, 8:37 AM

The post (and the point of the discussion) concerned how many yards Ga Tech gained on the ground against VT when compared to how many yards GT gained against Clemson.

Ga Tech gained 127 yards rushing against VT, not 55.

Replies: 40
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic